• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMPORT Official MGS Peace Walker Thread of Everything - if you can name it, it's in

Bebpo

Banned
phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

METAL GEAR SOLID PEACE WALKER
GENRE: TACTICAL ESPIONAGE OPERATIONS
Release Date: JPN: 4/29/10, USA: 6/8/10, EUROPE: 6/18/10
Players: 1p offline, 2-4p COOPS AD-HOC, 6p versus AD-HOC

Import Packages:
Metal_Gear_Solid_Peace_Walker.jpg

mgs_peacewalker00.jpg

Reviews:
VERY GOOD

Summary:
Kojima's 6th canon entry to the Metal Gear Solid saga puts players in the role of the legendary hero of Metal Gear Solid 3, Big Boss. Set after the events of Portable Ops, Peace Walker is the tale of Big Boss doing a lot WALKING through variety of unknown locations in order to do VERY CLASSIFIED stuff that brings PEACE. Little is known of the plot pre-release, but one thing we do know is that you will sneak, you will laugh, maybe you'll cry, and most of all you will probably love this game.

From the trailers we know that there are
-Schoolgirls
-Robots
-Singing
-Jungles
-A MAGIC BALLOON
-Boxes
-Many, many weapons & gadgets
-Environmental destruction
-
DINOSAURS
-
MECH BUILDING
-Base building
-
RTS BATTLES??
-and much much more. Apparently the psp disc couldn't contain all the awesome ideas in Kojima's mind, so we are just getting the dozens of them that he packed in before the disc exploded from too much awesome.

The game is made up of:
metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-20090.jpg
s38419_psp_1.jpg

STORY MISSIONS
These are played 1p and advance the plot of the game. Complete with in-game cutscenes and cutscenes featuring the art of Ashley Wood (similar to the cutscenes in Portable Ops)

peacewalker081709.jpg
peace-walker-weapons-300x300.jpg
metal-gear-peace-walker-300x300.jpg

SNEAKING MISSIONS
These are stage based 1-2p missions where you work together to get to the end of the stage alive (and likely there are other objectives as well)

bbbbpw_tank_02_psd_jpgcopy-640x.jpg
mgspw_10b.jpg

BOSS MISSIONS
These are boss battles that are played 1-4p and allow players to have PSO/Monster Hunter meets MGS style party fights where teamwork is key.

peace-sign.png

This thread is for the IMPORT version of Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. It's for the 10 people here who cringe at the sound of anyone other than the legendary AKIO OHTSUKA playing Snake and have stuck it out and been the last one on the block to play every MGS post-MGS1 because the Mr. Hayter versions kept getting released a month ahead of time. This thread is for YOU. For everyone else, this thread will be full of NON-STORY SPOILERS. So if you don't want to know all about the gameplay then DON'T CLICK.

STORY RELATED SPOILERS WILL ALL BE SPOILER TAGGED OR YOU WILL BE BANNED UNTIL MGS6 PEACE WAR

Finally, in the great words of our very own Pimpwerx...
PEACE

duckroll

Just a word of additional warning. If any spoilers pop out on and other threads in the form of screens, avatars, pics, text or whatever. Be prepared to be banned until my US Peace Walker play time reads 99 hours 59 minutes.

duckroll said:
Just a word of additional warning. If any spoilers pop out on and other threads in the form of screens, avatars, pics, text or whatever. Be prepared to be banned until my US Peace Walker play time reads 99 hours 59 minutes.

Don't forget console port begging, it seems to follow this game everywhere!

---

This thread kills me, further shoving the game into my face and reminding me it won't be here in the US until June =(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Waiting for the English version on this one. But I think I will import the soundtrack while I wait~

We'll (RedSunGamer) be livestreaming Peace walker on the 29th here in Japan at around 11am just after I pick it up from the store, we should be streaming for around 6 hours.

http://www.justin.tv/redsungamer

We'll be doing on the fly Translations too, so no man will be left behind.

Time zone:

Thursday 29th April 2010 - 11:00am JST
Thursday 29th April 2010 - 02:00am GMT
Wednesday 28th April 2010 - 22:00pm (New York time)
Wednesday 28th April 2010 - 21:00pm (Central standard time)
Wednesday 28th April 2010 - 19:00pm (San Francisco)

Kowak

Banned
All this thread does it remind me that I should have kept up my Japanese classes in first year at uni.

I cant wait for this game. I hope it rivals MGS2 for pure greatness.

Zen

Banned
Even though I won a PSPGo, I think I'm going to be a retail copy as well as the digital copy. I want my disk etc for a Metal Gear game. :lol

Anyone know how long the game is?

With extras (all the side fun stuff), and without (just the main)?

I usually take my time beating games and 100%ing them (I mean many of the side quests are just as fun as the main and add quite a bit to the experience) but I am curious how much gaming Kojima stuffed into this.

Bebpo

Banned
gburgess10 said:
Anyone know how long the game is?

With extras (all the side fun stuff), and without (just the main)?

I usually take my time beating games and 100%ing them (I mean many of the side quests are just as fun as the main and add quite a bit to the experience) but I am curious how much gaming Kojima stuffed into this.

Supposedly 30-50 hours.

In an interview in Famitsu Kojima said; You can get through the story in about 30 hours, but after that you can just keep going with the various missions available from Mother Base. You can redo missions as well, so yeah, technically forever.

Vamphuntr

Bebpo said:
METAL GEAR SOLID PEACE WALKER
GENRE: TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION
Release Date: JPN: 4/29/10, USA: 6/8/10, EUROPE: 6/18/10
Players: 1p offline, 2-4p COOPS AD-HOC, 6p versus AD-HOC

Shouldn't it be TACTICAL ESPIONAGE OPERATIONS ?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Damn with the US / Euro release not coming until june. It's going be harder avoiding spoilers for this than MGS 4.>_<

Kowak

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
A 30 hour story mode? For serious? Even if that's an exaggeration, this game sounds more awesome the more I hear about it.

Sequel to MGS3... dinosaurs... balloons which carry people through walls... 30 hours of playtime... god damnit KojiPro I will not buy another console for you. >:-(

Yes I will. I'm a sucker for this series. Sigh.

I got a PSP just for this game. if the game is great then I would consider it worth it for this game alone. MGS2 was worth owning a PS2, and MGS4 imo was worth a PS3 and hdtv alone.

hxa155

ah, Metal Gear, so good, they had to make up its own genre

have fun guys, i wont be importing

maybe when i learn japanese next year

Bebpo

Banned
mehdi_san said:
So who's actually gonna import it? Even duckroll is waiting for the US version :lol

Me! I only play MGS games in Japanese. I love the j-cast and played every one since the first MGS in Japanese. It's always painful avoiding spoilers during that extra month that the US gets it first, but I like hearing kojima's dialogue directly from kojima and not through a translator.

Only thing that sucks is I finally don't have to avoid spoilers for a month and the game comes out right when I'm starting 2 weeks of hardcore law school finals >_<. I get the feeling I won't be playing more than an hour every other day until mid-May. But oh man will that hour be sweet :D

Vamphuntr said:
Shouldn't it be TACTICAL ESPIONAGE OPERATIONS ?

My bad, thanks for catching that.

KTallguy

Banned
Yea, since MGS3 I've really gotten used to Akio's Snake and the Japanese Otocon. I can't really go back now. Also the codec is just so much better in Japanese. I really am looking forward to the codec in Peace Walker, I bet it's gonna be hilarious :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I think the j-cast really nails the comedy. Ohtsuka is a very, very funny actor which fits with all the tongue in cheek Kojima humor in the games. Plus the women are always fantastic. Kikuko Inoue's performance as The Boss in MGS3 is probably the most impressive performance of her career.

icarus-daedelus said:
A 30 hour story mode? For serious? Even if that's an exaggeration, this game sounds more awesome the more I hear about it.

Sequel to MGS3... dinosaurs... balloons which carry people through walls... 30 hours of playtime... god damnit KojiPro I will not buy another console for you. >:-(

Yes I will. I'm a sucker for this series. Sigh.

Ha, I already have a PSP. Though my anticipated PSP games are Persona 3 Portable and Valkyria Chronicles 2. This game isn't even on my radar, and I loved the home console versions of MGS.

KTallguy

Banned
PS3 Ad-hoc play will be BOSS :)
We should really tally up a list of PSN names (and timezones).
I'm down for co-op missions on weekday nights.

duckroll

KTallguy said:
PS3 Ad-hoc play will be BOSS :)
We should really tally up a list of PSN names (and timezones).
I'm down for co-op missions on weekday nights.

I think it's going to be very lonely until June! :lol

Going to watch this thread. I need some impressions before I can get excited for a portable MGS game. Especially one that's going to either make me buy a PSP.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This might just become the greatest game of all time.

*listens to Heavens Divide*

KTallguy

Banned
duckroll said:
I think it's going to be very lonely until June! :lol

I'm optimistic! :D

*Listening to End of the Dark*

doo doo doo, do do doooo

Edit: In any case I think at least a few of my co-workers are buying it. Because of Monster Hunter, naturally.

ampere

duckroll said:
Woo! Fiery!
But I love that you're doing that. I'm re-buying a PSP for this game. Still on the fence about the green/camo PSPs, I would really prefer black.

Barrett2

akachan ningen said:
That box art looks like it belongs to metal gear acid 3. Speaking of which, I WANT THAT BADLY. MGA2 is still my favorite PSP game.

I can't believe they haven't put AC!D on PSN. *kicks PSP Go*

oh man i would be so much more down for acid 3 than this game.

is the monster hunter stuff playable in single-player? i have a feeling it'll be harder to get a game than on actual monster hunter.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Noice, will wait though. Hope to hear some great, spoiler free, reviews from gaffers

I salute those of you importing and will be keeping a very close eye on this thread. Although each time I see it, I immediately think of going to Playasia or wherever and ordering. Must stay strong 'til June! :p

Takao

Banned
While I've read the Kingdom Hearts Zero Import thread, I'm staying out of this one outside of some impressions. Mostly because Kingdom Hearts story is still nonsense even if you read a synopsis, where as MGS is a bit better.

Vamphuntr

This might be a dumb question but do we know if the demo save file will unlock something in the game? Since you can kidnap (''recruit'') soldier with the balloon and the demo acknowledge that you evacuated these soldiers, it would be nice to get them as a bonus in the retail game.

EDIT : Typo

Top Bottom