• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impossibly gorgeous "leaked" Famitsu images (WTF?!)

Ok, so these appear to be concept art and CG. It appears that these games are in the concept and planning stages so they have these shots with fake HUD to give an idea of what it will be like.

But these are not screens from any actual gam, nothing here is realtime for any console. These are all simply concept images displaying what could turn out to be cool games if/when they actually get developed. Assuming these are real at all and not some really elaborate joke.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I say "impossibly gorgeous" because I'm of the opinion these represent what Project Aces thinks they can achieve in real-time :)

I think it's clear the game designs are too complex to be FMV. These target renders may be overly ambitious, but they don't seem to be quite pretty enough to be CG movies. Heck, Namco CG intros from a decade ago look better than this.

Add in the re-used model (though with different textures) from the realtime AC6 cutscene that was posted a couple pages back, and it makes the case for realtime that much stronger.

Edit: No, I am not saying these images are realtime. Just that they represent a ballpark goal for a next-gen game that would likely be released two and a half years from now.

Looks amazing, and the lack of platform specified raises quite an interesting issue. My money is on the PS3 but still, 3 games, 3 consoles, one for each, everyone is happy :D

Ceb

It's very likely that it's just because it's a mockup, but the blanked out system bar isn't wide enough to be XB360.

crunker99 said:
whats the big deal here i don tget it, those images are obviously not in-game so..... why is everyone flippping out, sure the game looks like it will be hot but if they havent even pinned it to a system then those are definately not real time gfx lol

come on guys, this mass hysteria is getting silly on gaf, separately you guys are all very smart, lets not fall for the mob mentality eh?

People thinking this might be on Wii are even funnier.

Aokage

Ceb said:
It's very likely that it's just because it's a mockup, but the blanked out system bar isn't wide enough to be XB360.

That's the actual width of Famitsu's system box. They smash Xbox 360 in there with serious horizontal compression :lol

nubbe

Namco doing visuals no one else has managed? Right... The generations black sheep.
Hey, if they do, more power to them.

Looks more like next, next gen visuals and current gen concepts.

Hagi23

Apparently these might be arcade titles using the PS3 arcade board whatever thats called so you can figure out the rest like what platform its on etc. on your own.:lol

Lorul2

Did anybody guess the green for 360, blue for PS3 yet?

I'm too lazy and I don't feel like reading 6 pages of responses...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yeah, these all look like concept mockups, especially for the fact that they aren't even scans, and secondly because they are way out of the league of any Japanese game shown so far...

Thirdly, they're from Namco... nuff said.

The suggestions that these are Wii games are straight-up laughable though... be real guys...

ShutEye

This mystery is exciting. Also the investigative 'game' sounds like a spiritual successor to SNATCHER. In which case I'm all for it.

Lobster

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
People thinking this might be on Wii are even funnier.

10 years ago Point and Click graphical adventures on the PC looked like this. From the description..could be very possible on Wii.

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:
Okay, I've actually read all 6 pages now, and here's the deal:

- The 3 games represent very different narrative genres (action, survival, investigative)
- All 3 are QTE-fests, with all the gameplay involving selecting the available targets on screen and pressing buttons to do different actions to change how the scenes play out
- They're all cinematic style games involving "bravery, heroes, danger" and so on

Well! I no longer care about this shit if it turns out to be real.

edit: NM, duckroll fails.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Nobody is flipping out, since the consensus seems to be that these are concept images anyway.

But since these are concept images anyway, I don't see why the Wii is out of the realm of possibility, unlikely as it may seem.

Unless you honestly think that pitched concepts have to end up exactly like the concept. For all we know they could decide to merge those concepts into one, and "downgrade" it for mobile platforms.

Haunted

Good mock-ups/CGI shots/concept artwork. Looks to me like these were part of a presentation of some sort. (Pitching a concept to the publisher maybe?).

:lol at the people thinking these are real Famitsu scans or ingame shots or something.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
jett said:
You should know this better than most, amirite? :p j/k.

Knew that was coming :p But seriously, perhaps management said: "Come up with some PS3 concepts", and this is what they came up with. Who knows what management will think. Perhaps they'll think the concept fits the Splorgenborg better, or decide to go multiplatform. Who knows. They could even outright reject these and we'd never see any of it. I'm beginning to wonder if these are intentionally or unintentionally leaked, or if it's an elaborate hoax anyway.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
60_gig_PS3 said:
the part with the propeller and cloth physics makes me think these are not for Wii.

The Wii can handle cloth physics - perhaps not the capes on 300 spartans in the same screen, but sure, why the hell would it not be able to do cloth physics? It can even draw propellers!

People have this weird misconception that the Wii can't handle shit. At all.

Matix

Well if these projects are going to be developed totally as pre-rendered interactive cut-scene, than it could easily workout on the Wii. Hell, this shit could even run on the DS for that matter (look at A.S.H.). Although I kinda doubt that the direction Namco is heading with these type of concepts.

Aokage

Folks. Yes, these are almost certainly mockups. Yes, they almost certainly represent a pitch to convince management to fund a project.

But they are not for a Wii game, unless said game uses the Classic Controller exclusively. The gameplay descriptions specifically mention a "right stick", and the only other controls mentioned are buttons. No allusion to waggle whatsoever.

If they were supposed to represent a Wii game, it would have to be pre-rendered if Project Aces expects to get visuals anywhere near this level of fidelity. If so,

- Why do they not look as good as one would expect pre-rendered FMV from Namco to look?

- Why would a team known for making realtime games with exceptionally high-level tech suddenly make an FMV game?

- Why would said team create a next-gen Xbox 360 game, then abandon all their pricey development tools/software and newly-acquired knowhow to make a Wii game?

- Why are the gameplay descriptions totally incompatible with a streaming FMV game?

- Why does a confirmed realtime model from Ace Combat 6 show up in one of the shots?

- Why is there extremely small on-screen text that would be totally illegible at 480p?

chriskzoo

Banned
Tempy said:
But since these are concept images anyway, I don't see why the Wii is out of the realm of possibility, unlikely as it may seem.

Final version:

vc1.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Aokage said:
Folks. Yes, these are almost certainly mockups. Yes, they almost certainly represent a pitch to convince management to fund a project.

But they are not for a Wii game, unless said game uses the Classic Controller exclusively. The gameplay descriptions specifically mention a "right stick", and the only other controls mentioned are buttons. No allusion to waggle whatsoever.

If they were supposed to represent a Wii game, it would have to be pre-rendered if Project Aces expects to get visuals anywhere near this level of fidelity. If so,
While it's easier to go multiplatform on PS3 and X360, and do Wii-specific stuff, there already have been multiplatform games that have ended up on the Wii. I do think that these concepts were made with PS3 or X360 in mind. Most likely PS3, but I wouldn't rule out multiplatform on X360 as well, and a distant possibility for Wii (severely downgraded and possibly without waggle functionality, or tacked on)

- Why do they not look as good as one would expect pre-rendered FMV from Namco to look?
It's a mockup? Albeit a very pretty mockup if you ask me.

- Why would a team known for making realtime games with exceptionally high-level tech suddenly make an FMV game?
- Why are the gameplay descriptions totally incompatible with a streaming FMV game?
- Why does a confirmed realtime model from Ace Combat 6 show up in one of the shots?
If there's a version for Wii (I'm not suggesting these are Wii only!), then heavily downgraded. I don't think it's an FMV game either.

- Why would said team create a next-gen Xbox 360 game, then abandon all their pricey development tools/software and newly-acquired knowhow to make a Wii game?
Namco has other teams with Wii tools. Multiplatform versions are often spread amongst other teams.

- Why is there extremely small on-screen text that would be totally illegible at 480p?
Yet again, because it's a mockup. The HUD/GUI is usually one of the last things to be finalized during game development, and concept art does not dictate what it has to end up as. Besides, even if these are PS3/X360 only games, then they better still have legible text in 480p mode. Still too many people with SDTVs only, and if you're gonna support 480p (as all PS3/X360 games are required to), you might as well do it right, no?

Aokage

Tempy said:

Indeed, all solid points, and who knows...the game could end up on Wii. But my gut tells me it's intended for PS3/360 at this point (and it goes without saying the game probably isn't even in production yet).

Whatever it is, I hope it gets made. The world needs more adventure games, and Project Aces' meticulously-crafted alternate world would be a great setting for one :D

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Aokage said:
Indeed, all solid points, and who knows...the game could end up on Wii. But my gut tells me it's intended for PS3/360 at this point (and it goes without saying the game probably isn't even in production yet).

Whatever it is, I hope it gets made. The world needs more adventure games, and Project Aces' meticulously-crafted alternate world would be a great setting for one :D

Yeah, the world needs more adventure games. Not sure all of them fall under that genre, but the concepts sound great, and the (concept) artwork looks very pleasing indeed. If the art direction is similar in the final product, and the gameplay ends up satisfying, then I wouldn't be sad at all even if technical impressiveness isn't achieved.

Acosta

It´s pretty exciting, not only for graphics but for style and tone, I like what I am seeing. Hope is true.

I don´t believe those graphis are out of question for this generation, no way (the style is awesome, but I don´t see anything there that surpass Crysis).

And I would accept an "advanced QTA" for a more cinematic approach to gaming. I always thought that an advanced system, with multiple choices, challenge and as complex as a real time combo system would work with enough development. Would like some experimentation on this type of things.

Ryuuga

Banned
conspiracypn2.jpg

So no one has done this gag yet?

Alright I'll do it.

The red circle highlights a stealth indication that this game will be on 360. Notice how the option within the box looks like the "X" button.
No not really it's a steering wheel..welcome to the conspiracy

The blue circle indicates some very arousing options considering the current position of both characters.
The gift wrap being among another..although the thought is very unsettling bordering awkward

Troidal

Looks to me like these were proposal projects for a next-gen title. If it's now out in the open, I seriously think anyone would have intentionally leaked an ongoing project....

My 2 yen.

youta

Ceb said:
BlindN-Fan
Actually, I've recently been playing Syberia and it looks quite beautiful.
System specs for such a game are well withing the capabilities of the
Wii (except for resolution). It is, however, a point-and-click adventure...

xaosslug

Ryuuga said:
conspiracypn2.jpg

So no one has done this gag yet?

Alright I'll do it.

The red circle highlights a stealth indication that this game will be on 360. Notice how the option within the box looks like the "X" button.
No not really it's a steering wheel..welcome to the conspiracy

The blue circle indicates some very arousing options considering the current position of both characters.
The gift wrap being among another..although the thought is very unsettling bordering awkward

:lol

that made me laugh really hard for some reason.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So, these shots are from 2ch, right? Since when is 2ch an infallible source of insider gaming information?

Top Bottom