• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impossibly gorgeous "leaked" Famitsu images (WTF?!)

Linkup

DrGAKMAN said:
Hey you're probably right, but why are they hiding the platform then?

So that they can cause another meltdown.

Nice to see gamers arguing over who gets the QTE games. Next up PS3 fans demand Layton and PW for PS3.

Takuhi

DrGAKMAN said:
Hey you're probably right, but why are they hiding the platform then?

You don't necessarily know your platform when you begin game development. In fact, nowadays most 3rd parties makes games to general next-gen standards on a PC so they can move them quickly from platform to platform when their game gets moneyhatted. (Or release it on both when they don't.) They're not hiding anything.

But don't let that crush your spirits! Maybe Namco turned down all three because there's no money in next gen and told them to come back with pitches for a Wii gardening sim or something.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I very much doubt these are QTE/Laserdisc games. The HUDs show life bars, maps, items. The Second image also makes reference to controlling your POV with the "right stick"...which sort of throws a damper on both the Wii and pre-rendered theories.

ethelred

Linkup said:
So that they can cause another meltdown.

Nice to see gamers arguing over who gets the QTE games. Next up PS3 fans demand Layton and PW for PS3.

Hey, I love adventure games. I think this looks and sounds great, regardless of which platform it ends up on. I really don't think anything about it indicates that it could be for Wii, though, like some are hoping.

Aokage said:
I very much doubt these are QTE/Laserdisc games. The HUDs show life bars, maps, items. The Second image also makes reference to controlling your POV with the "right stick"...which sort of throws a damper on both the Wii and pre-rendered theories.

well it could be your scroll the screen, rather than fully control your character...none of the screens seem to show anything but action...could be like myst though

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
While the "graphics" look absolutely gorgeous, what attracts me primarily is how cinematic they all feel. And I believe that's going to be the main focus of these games. Being QTE-type games make it much easier to make something feel cinematic, rather than having to consider where the player is and what he's currently doing (imagine a stubborn player trying to trigger cinematic events while walking backwards in a fps game).

I believe that despite being QTE type games that they can still make it very interesting with story, art direction, pacing, music, etc. Presentation in other words.

There are little squares in the pictures for all of them. I wonder if they're supposed to have controller buttons overlayed on them, but don't right now as it would reveal the platform.

Second looks like it has more investigative elements, rather than rely solely on reflex based QTE events, and as such sounds more interesting to me. Especially since it seems to include a romantic drama subplot more strongely than the others.

I think they look promising, and since I own all three consoles I don't particularly care for which one they'll (it'll) come out for. Hmm, although high resness sounds way more appealing for this "type" of game.

While my first thought was that it's going to be a PS3 release, I'm beginning to think more and more that it's going to be multiplatform instead.

Edit: As for the unknown platform - that's probably because none of these are green-lit yet and have not decided on the platform(s).

It's prolly for Wii. PS3 and 360 don't need anymore QTE games, they've got FFXIII.

But really, I originally thought they were just Wii games benefitting from the fact that the system theoretically is capable of RE4 graphics and generous magazine luster.

Linkup

Aokage said:

So you think this is realtime stuff or what? I thought it was just target renders.

Linkup

ethelred said:
Hey, I love adventure games. I think this looks and sounds great, regardless of which platform it ends up on. I really don't think anything about it indicates that it could be for Wii, though, like some are hoping.

I seriously doubt this is for wii or anything else at this point. I wish they were real time action games for 360/PS3, but I doubt it's real time and they aren't action games.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Aokage said:
Yet the evidence of any 'real' gameplay could suggest such a thing. ADVs can have life bars, maps and items as well, but they're used to support the story instead of a device for gameplay.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Aokage said:

I don't think they're supposed to be "pure" QTE either. There will probably be adventure-type elements (travelling, dialogue, item usage). As for the life bar - even Phoenix Wright has one :) and I've seen them in dating sims too. The player is probably allowed to make a few mistakes, rather than showing a Game Over screen immediately.

You know what I found really next gen? The pic of the girl (you just kissed in the concept art) holding a gun against her head. We need to feel more emotion with games.

Aokage

Linkup said:
So you think this is realtime stuff or what? I thought it was just target renders.

These images? No way. I think everything is a mockup. But I do think that the game design calls for realtime polygon graphics. What the text is describing would be impossible for pre-rendered FMV, no matter how fast disc access was.

To say nothing of looking around with the right analog :)

Son of Godzilla said:
It's prolly for Wii. PS3 and 360 don't need anymore QTE games, they've got FFXIII.

But really, I originally thought they were just Wii games benefitting from the fact that the system theoretically is capable of RE4 graphics and generous magazine luster.
hermiscream.jpg

yep, that must be you

Moz La Punk said:
You know what I found really next gen? The pic of the girl (you just kissed in the concept art) holding a gun against her head. We need to feel more emotion with games.
Isn't that a bit cloying? I mean if its that's what next-gen needs, cue the puppy stomping in all future games.

HyperZone<3 said:
Isn't that a bit cloying? I mean if its that's what next-gen needs, cue the puppy stomping in all future games.

Puppy stomping is a bit simple. I'm talking about the screens implying that this girl could be a major love interest in the game so you get feelings for her. Then somewhere down the road, BANG! for some reason. Maybe with gameplay you can even try to stop her. Now that can trigger true emotions. Puppy stomping is just awww.

However, in Fable 2 you have this dog that can get hurt. This could also work since it's your companion for most of the game and you bond with it.

snorggy

if these games are in fact all pre-rendered choose your own adventure style games, i would guess that they would be for PS3... blu-ray clearly has the disc storage advantage for that type of thing...

that being said, it sends a pretty bad message if your $600 system is only playing an interactive movie and not rendering this stuff in real time... i dunno..

april fools.

Aokage

There's no doubt these game concepts are heavily prescripted, but there are far too many options for them to be prerendered. Never does something as simple as a command appear onscreen that you have to ape to proceed. For instance, Chain Limit has what appears to be four possible uses for every on-screen item, and they can even be combined. Second has gun shooting scenes with a controllable gun-sight (though you can also, simultaneously, try and talk your suspect down). Are they adventure games? Without a doubt, but I'm going to say they aren't prerendered.

Why would a team that's come off of seven realtime shooters that pushed the tech for their respective platforms rather hard make an FMV game, anyway?

Sho Nuff

Banned
Internal mockups for sure. Famitsu doesn't use sketch concept art in their layouts ever.

Cool mockups though, I'd like to see Namco attempt another BREAKDOWN.

Aokage

Sho Nuff said:
Internal mockups for sure. Famitsu doesn't use sketch concept art in their layouts ever.

Cool mockups though, I'd like to see Namco attempt another BREAKDOWN.

I completely agree that they're internal mockups, but Famitsu does actually print concept art quite a lot :)

I'm thinking specifically of all the possible Dante designs in the earliest DMC4 previews.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
snorggy said:
if these games are in fact all pre-rendered choose your own adventure style games, i would guess that they would be for PS3... blu-ray clearly has the disc storage advantage for that type of thing...

that being said, it sends a pretty bad message if your $600 system is only playing an interactive movie and not rendering this stuff in real time... i dunno..

april fools.

There already is a PS3 game which is only playing an interactive movie - Railfan. Not so sure if a developer cares about whatever irrelevant message people might construe as long as they make the game they wanted to make.

That said, I don't think these concepts will lead to a prerender-fest. Not if they want multiplatform, and not if they want to give the give the player more options instead of being Dragon's Lair all over again.

Takuhi

Please stop suggesting these are April Fools jokes. If you have the skills to not just beautifully render three amazing-looking games but to also develop new mechanics for each, and you put those skills towards nothing more than April Fools jokes that aren't even funny because they involve new IPs, then the joke is on you.

I've been reading through them, and these are NOT INTENDED TO BE PRE-RENDERED QTE GAMES. (Well, OK CHAIN LIM!T sort of is.)

BRAVE ARMS
Brave Arms is a 3rd person adventure in which you seemingly have no ranged weapons, so you attack by getting in close and fighting at ultra-close range with context-sensitive attacks. You can see a "guide line" of your enemies' attacks that tells you what they're about to do and if you react with proper timing you can counter it by pressing the Juggle Button at the instant it would hit you. So it's about getting in close, then it becomes a context-sensitive fighter. It sounds quite similar to Cipher Complex, actually.

CHAIN LIM!T
CHAIN LIM!T uses the Target Link system, which is SORT of similar to QTE, but far more advanced. It looks like you use the two sticks; the left stick chooses areas you can interact with in the environment while the right chooses your action. In the middle shot of the first page, the guy is choosing "Bite" and the tape on his girl's pants. But he could choose to throw some other object or combine two other objects or whatever. Not exactly a linear QTE sort of thing. In the airplane engine thing, we're seeing three scenarios. One where it looks like he dodges a falling box that hits the guy holding his legs, one where he messes up and dies, and one where he selects "remove" while targeting his own belt to drop his pants along with the guy holding them. So theoretically, you can choose any option at any target point, giving you 20+ possible actions. So instead of simple QTE multiple choice, you can combine your options in creative ways.

SECOND
Second is an investigation/adventure game with multiple game modes. One is exploration, one is shooting, and one is selecting voice responses in realtime, which is very similar to Indigo Prophecy. The modes can happen on top of each other, so you can have gun shooting while choosing voice responses. So in the shooting scene they show, you can either blow the target away with your gun (by physically doing it, not selecting it as an option), or try and negotiate with him by selecting your dialogue. You can always change the camera with the right stick, and the options/voice commands change based on what you're facing.

Maybe not revolutionary, but these are three original ideas, and they're actually pretty good. How often do you get to see video game pitches? (Assuming that's what these are) I am thoroughly fascinated by this... This is way more interesting than the Ubisoft leak/hack of last year.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Takuhi said:
Please stop suggesting these are April Fools jokes. If you have the skills to not just beautifully render three amazing-looking games but to also develop new mechanics for each, and you put those skills towards nothing more than April Fools jokes that aren't even funny because they involve new IPs, then the joke is on you.

I've been reading through them, and these are NOT INTENDED TO BE PRE-RENDERED QTE GAMES. (Well, OK CHAIN LIM!T sort of is.)

BRAVE ARMS
Brave Arms is a 3rd person adventure in which you seemingly have no ranged weapons, so you attack by getting in close and fighting at ultra-close range with context-sensitive attacks. You can see a "guide line" of your enemies' attacks that tells you what they're about to do and if you react with proper timing you can counter it by pressing the Juggle Button at the instant it would hit you. So it's about getting in close, then it becomes a context-sensitive fighter. It sounds quite similar to Cipher Complex, actually.

CHAIN LIM!T
CHAIN LIM!T uses the Target Link system, which is SORT of similar to QTE, but far more advanced. It looks like you use the two sticks; the left stick chooses areas you can interact with in the environment while the right chooses your action. In the middle shot of the first page, the guy is choosing "Bite" and the tape on his girl's pants. But he could choose to throw some other object or combine two other objects or whatever. Not exactly a linear QTE sort of thing. In the airplane engine thing, we're seeing three scenarios. One where it looks like he dodges a falling box that hits the guy holding his legs, one where he messes up and dies, and one where he selects "remove" while targeting his own belt to drop his pants along with the guy holding them. So theoretically, you can choose any option at any target point, giving you 20+ possible actions. So instead of simple QTE multiple choice, you can combine your options in creative ways.

SECOND
Second is an investigation/adventure game with multiple game modes. One is exploration, one is shooting, and one is selecting voice responses in realtime, which is very similar to Indigo Prophecy. The modes can happen on top of each other, so you can have gun shooting while choosing voice responses. So in the shooting scene they show, you can either blow the target away with your gun (by physically doing it, not selecting it as an option), or try and negotiate with him by selecting your dialogue. You can always change the camera with the right stick, and the options/voice commands change based on what you're facing.

Maybe not revolutionary, but these are three original ideas, and they're actually pretty good. How often do you get to see video game pitches? (Assuming that's what these are) I am thoroughly fascinated by this... This is way more interesting than the Ubisoft leak/hack of last year.

They all sound interesting to me. Maybe they'll make all of them :)

Takuhi said:

BRAVE ARMS

CHAIN LIM!T

SECOND

that sounds better

Matix

Personally I'm an old-school fan of classic QTE titles (Road Avenger, Time Gal, Space Ace, etc), and it would be awesome to see more developer incorporate interactive cut-scenes within real-time gameplay (which hopefully is happening with these 3 concepts).

Aokage

kamikaze said:
japanese do april fools stuff, too? or is it just more of an internet holiday?

Japan, especially the internet gaming community, has come to know of April Fool's. But they usually don't design three games and render world-class quality CG to celebrate it.

Takuhi said:

That's too bad. I'd love to see the goofy Mega CD era of non-gaming make a comeback.

Aokage

Takuhi said:

Nice summaries! I'm also completely fascinated by this. I'm totally convinced now that these represent leaked pitches for Project Aces' next game, now that development on AC6 is wrapping up. They were probably made for marketing, hence the faux-Famitsu layouts.

With the amount of money games cost to make this gen, I wouldn't be surprised if virtually every game required a pitch this extravagant to convince the suits to drop cash, especially if it was an adventure game from a team that spent 10+ years making shooters.

I just hope Project Aces does get to make their adventure game. I'd take any of the three with a smile on my face :D

Aokage said:
Nice summaries! I'm also completely fascinated by this. I'm totally convinced now that these represent leaked pitches for Project Aces' next game, now that development on AC6 is wrapping up. They were probably made for marketing, hence the faux-Famitsu layouts.

With the amount of money games cost to make this gen, I wouldn't be surprised if virtually every game required a pitch this extravagant to convince the suits to drop cash, especially if it was an adventure game from a team that spent 10+ years making shooters.

I just hope Project Aces does get to make their adventure game. I'd take any of the three with a smile on my face :D

your definitely the target audience

Jonnyram said:
Irem's April Fools are unrivalled :)

wow if this an april fools...somebody has got far too much time on their hands...and curse them, since these look far better than the rest of namcos crap....tekken 6 :(

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Well, almost all of the images have some sort of english text particularly in the HUD. I agree that it fits that Capcom mold of making Japanese games that appeal to western audiences.

Clipboard01.jpg

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Awesome concept renders!

Seem to be connected to Ace Combat. But that could just be for convencience.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Impossibly gorgeous?

I'm missing something I guess.
Dude, it's Nick Rox. Total Halverson school of Gamefan love for hyperbolic adjectives. Not a slam, mind you...just a style. It does looks sweet, though.

crunker99

whats the big deal here i don tget it, those images are obviously not in-game so..... why is everyone flippping out, sure the game looks like it will be hot but if they havent even pinned it to a system then those are definately not real time gfx lol

come on guys, this mass hysteria is getting silly on gaf, separately you guys are all very smart, lets not fall for the mob mentality eh?

Top Bottom