• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imran Khan "Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
lol

For a second there, I thought you posted a picture of Dragon Age 2 protagonist.

Great, I can't unsee it now lol

They do look aesthetically very similar.

hawke.png

I haven't pre-ordered yet. Because I don't give two shits about FFXVI. I was a diehard FF fanboy starting with FFVI in 1994, but they lost me a long time ago. FFXIII was the last straw, I haven't considered myself a real FF since then. I have zero interest in FF Online, but I did play FFXV and hey, it was actually pretty good. A joke of an FF game, but still a decent modern JRPG. That's basically what I assume FFXVI will be. So relax Squeenix, you'll still be getting my hard earned moneys when the time comes. But you won't be getting my love.
Don’t give two shits about it…yet here you are, in a FF16 thread giving a shit about it 🤷‍♂️

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe for you, I pre-ordered lot of games and enjoyed 90% the games I bought.
Happy for you. I too have preordered games and enjoyed all of them.

But I think another factor on the depreciation of preorders is that preorders were primarily in a time where everything was physical and tangible. But now most things are digital and can simply be purchased and downloaded. Back in the old days if you didn't preorder it could take weeks to find the game you wanted even going store to store, but NOW, you can just download it from the comfort of your home.

All with no fear of running out of stock so in hindsight it's value and incentive to preorder is significantly less.

If we wanted to get into the nitty gritty we could take it further and say preorders only have value when it comes to Limited/Collector's edition runs of games and of course certain niche games that only have limited runs of say like any between 5k-10k copies made into something tangible.

There is nothing inherently bad in preordering but I do see a lot of validity for why someone would not partake in it in the current era of gaming.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If we wanted to get into the nitty gritty we could take it further and say preorders only have value when it comes to Limited/Collector's edition runs of games and of course certain niche games
I can agree with that, especially for some niche game because it becomes very difficult to find physical copy for it.

The reason I dont mind pr-ordering for most of my games because I dont pay anything for my pre-orders, in my local EBgames you have a choice to put down full price or $5 or nothing.

kondorBonk

XV launch was such an empty shell with the "Royal Edition" being a shining example of screwing over early buyers.
I forgive a lot of Square Enix nonsense and love Final Fantasy but FFXV did so much wrong with cut content and their multi-media approach to filling in vital story elements soley for more money. I don't blame anyone being weary.

Korso

Well isn't that to be expected though? One is a console exclusive to one system and the other wasn't. Of course the numbers will be less.

SeraphJan

No, it doesn't. It looks far, far worse compared to the CGI design.

I am saying this as someone who enjoyed XV: You are full of shit.
No you are full of shit, I wasn't even talking about graphic fidelity in the first place.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No you are full of shit, I wasn't even talking about graphic fidelity in the first place.

It is worse in both graphical fidelity and art direction. Lacks details, looks flat and lifeless, and looks bland in its colour pallete.

You are full of shit, buddy. Take the L.

Clown Here You Go GIF by Travis

SeraphJan

It is worse in both graphical fidelity and art direction. Lacks details, looks flat and lifeless, and looks bland in its colour pallete.

You are full of shit, buddy. Take the L.

Clown Here You Go GIF by Travis
No its not, keep trolling with your self proclaimed victory over nothing

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Interestingly enough, even Yoshi P has tempered expectations of the games launch window sales.

EnedUyU.jpg

A lot of people were laughing at me from bringing up this report in my thread about the game. Khan clearly knows some stuff.

Again though, I have to say that I really think people should be looking at the content of the game itself to figure out why pre-orders aren't high. It's just not a "hype" game.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Same as if someone using art book to demonstrate art design?
It’s really bizarre to talk about how good a game looks via its rendered CG art rather than an actual screenshot from the game, especially when there’s an in-game option that as you put it, is “just as good”.

There are countless games with rendered trailers that don’t properly represent the final product. White Knight Chronicles, Watch Dogs, the list goes on. If I posted a screenshot from the Witcher 3 reveal and was all “this game looks so good”, everyone would call me out on it. And rightfully so, because it’d be a misrepresentation of what the game actually looks like. Going “nuh-uh, the art” would be an absurd argument, methinks.

feynoob

Grown ups arguing about pre orders, when the goddamn hasn't even released it yet.

Go home drunk people.

Last edited:

KiteGr

They could release the FF7 of our ages, and I still wouldn't buy it day one, let alone preorder it. Especially since their last 3 instalments released incomplete, and most still are.

Neolombax

I dont preorder these days anymore given how games can turn out to be pretty shit despite marketing and preview events for gaming sites/influencers. But that doesnt mean its not a day 1 buy, or a purchase at all. Just release a demo, maybe that will give gamers confidence. I personally am on the fence now between Diablo 4 and this. More developer interviews and new gameplay aint going to cut it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I cancelled my pre order because my kid wants to play Diablo 4 with me. Might grab it later this year or wait for PC. There are so many games out this year.

They could release the FF7 of our ages, and I still wouldn't buy it day one, let alone preorder it. Especially since their last 3 instalments released incomplete, and most still are.
One of those three entries were released incomplete on purpose, I'm surprised they walked back on that plan.

hussar16

The teaser trailer they put our years ago looked amazing. Grounded gritty and realistic. Every newer trailer has been filled with more and more anime shit, cartoon combat, and cringe dialogue. I wanted a hard break from the excesses of XV and KH3 but it looks like more of the same.
Art style and characters look like ps3 models. The western market isn't into that

A lot of people were laughing at me from bringing up this report in my thread about the game. Khan clearly knows some stuff.

Again though, I have to say that I really think people should be looking at the content of the game itself to figure out why pre-orders aren't high. It's just not a "hype" game.
It’s definitely a hype game on Gaf as it managed to match Zelda and Starfield in the anticipation poll.

It’s true that it doesn’t seem to have the same hype among the mainstream, which I find a bit odd as I feel like the traditional FF fanbase Gaf would be expected to be the most negative about such a significant shift in tone and combat.

Raven117

I mean… it’s final fantasy. It will definitely sell. In YoshiP I trust.

(That said, they really got clobbered with so many super high quality games coming out in like a 2 month period)

ProtoByte

explain 🙏 ?
The first thing is the aesthetic. Ever since it went 3D, FF has always had some kind of look that goes beyond your standard fantasy. This game has gone for a pretty grounded medieval baseline. It was going to happen at some point, and I would not call it "generic". But it's not visually striking.
Graphical fidelity, particularly for the character models, also isn't quite at the top end of industry as it has been for FF previously. There's something very articial about their faces, especially for this grounded fantasy thing they're going for.

The next point, which seems to trigger people on here, is that the gameplay does not look particularly striking either. It bears a resemblance to DMC, although to me looks more engaging - good player character basics, a cool system in the Eikon abilities to mix things up, understated or underdeveloped everything else. Fights look pretty small in scale, and like they take place in somewhat artificial arenas if not open fields. Environmental interactivity and verticality is nil. Enemies look fun to stunt on, but not particularly engaging or dynamic to fight - in themselves, or in any given environment.

BlackTron

The FF franchise has suffered a few bruises and why preorder when you can just wait one day to see what the game is really like and then go for it?

Steep competition doesn't help either, nor does no longer really being a Final Fantasy game.

Top Bottom