• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imran Khan "Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV"

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Japanese games aren't big on Xbox but you can't keep expect big money while skipping two of the most popular systems which are switch and PC.

Switch?

shocked soulja boy GIF by #1 For Hip Hop, HOT 97

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So, does this mean that people are finally learning not to pre-order anything?
If I’m excited for a game why shouldn’t pre-order? I don’t understand why you guys so stress over pre-ordering as you are putting your life on the line?

I never once put money toward 99% of games I pre-ordered, the only exception is when you pre-order consoles.

Gorgon

If I’m excited for a game why shouldn’t pre-order? I don’t understand why you guys so stress over pre-ordering as you are putting your life on the line?

I never once put money toward 99% of games I pre-ordered, the only exception is when you pre-order consoles.

Because pre-orders just encourages publishers and big-wig studio heads to release their games in beta-state since a substantial amount of sales is already in their pocket. Surely you've noticed the trend in (pre-writen) appologies these days. It's getting ridiculous.

With that said, sorry if the comment irked you. It wasn't intended as a jab.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Because pre-orders just encourages publishers and big-wig studio heads to release their games in beta-state since a substantial amount of sales is already in their pocket. Surely you've noticed the trend in (pre-writen) appologies these days. It's getting ridiculous.

With that said, sorry if the comment irked you. It wasn't intended as a jab.
Dont worry I was just asking generally because I see lot of people posting how much they hate pre-order and to me it never not such a big deal.

Also we live in age of internet if the game is going be down right broken then will be finding out about it long before release or even before reviews.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Man a lot of anecdotal evidence and personal feelings getting in the way of critical thought and using ones brain.

FFXV didn't do the damage to the brand that so many here seem to think. Just because you hated the game doesn't indicate anything to the greater fanbase. Nor does that mean you speak for the fanbase.

Also Imran Khan is on the same level as Kotaku or Polygon for low effort bait and outright lies posted to garner attention. Y'all should be smarter than this.

recursive

Shame. I myself am skipping a mainline game at launch for the first time ever. Waiting for impressions from people other than journos, the single character action combat focus has me a bit wary. If they can pull it off, could be fun, but Final Fantasy isn't what I look for, when I think of high octane skill based action combat.

I'll probably pick up the eventual PC version that they keep "wink wink nudge nudge"-ing about.

Then I watched the PAX east gameplay video and this part made me laugh.

Hopefully that is a special mode for noobs? After FF15 I was hoping it would be a bit more involved.

Go_Ly_Dow

Man a lot of anecdotal evidence and personal feelings getting in the way of critical thought and using ones brain.

FFXV didn't do the damage to the brand that so many here seem to think. Just because you hated the game doesn't indicate anything to the greater fanbase. Nor does that mean you speak for the fanbase.

Also Imran Khan is on the same level as Kotaku or Polygon for low effort bait and outright lies posted to garner attention. Y'all should be smarter than this.
I'm inclined to agree. This is someone who thinks XV was worse than XIII and really disliked it, but I know plenty of people who loved XV and made them more interested in the series.

AngelMuffin

Doesn’t tell me much. I’ve cancelled quite a few games I had pre-ordered and bought plenty I never bothered to. Just like with this one.

Final Fantasy VII Remake despite all the hype didn't hit 10 million sales.Let alone this....Square is only alive despite all the flops because of exclusivity $$$ it gets from PlayStation.Still, They are desperate enough to hire the NFT guy as their ceo.
Correcttion, Final Fantasy XIV is currently hard carried the company.

Chukhopops

Hopefully that is a special mode for noobs? After FF15 I was hoping it would be a bit more involved.
The auto-dodge thing is via an accessory to enable journalist mode basically. It’s only available in the lower of the two base difficulties.

I still wouldn’t expect anything challenging until the postgame / NG+ based on what the directors said.

Dorago

The teaser trailer they put our years ago looked amazing. Grounded gritty and realistic. Every newer trailer has been filled with more and more anime shit, cartoon combat, and cringe dialogue. I wanted a hard break from the excesses of XV and KH3 but it looks like more of the same.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The teaser trailer they put our years ago looked amazing. Grounded gritty and realistic. Every newer trailer has been filled with more and more anime shit, cartoon combat, and cringe dialogue. I wanted a hard break from the excesses of XV and KH3 but it looks like more of the same.

These are the best writers Square Enix ever had and I mean even considering Squaresoft. There’s no chance in hell it’ll be anything like Kh3 or FFXV. It’s blasphemous even the idea of it. Please stop ✋

Last edited:
Part of the problem is Square's expectations are too high for nearly everything they make. How many times have we heard from some financial report that "such and such Square game underperformed", "performed under expectations" blah blah... Clearly they need to adjust their expectations, address their production issues, control their budgets, or this slide will continue. FFXIV looks like a step in the direction tbh, thanks to a guy and a team who's able to make a game in a timely manner. I mean it doesn't look as impressive as I'd like, but I'll take that over a hot mess of a game that takes too long to come out and is broken on release, which is almost every game these days.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm inclined to agree. This is someone who thinks XV was worse than XIII and really disliked it, but I know plenty of people who loved XV and made them more interested in the series.

Yep. I personally enjoyed XV for what it was, but I was still let down. However, if it truly did the "Damage" so many here claim? Why is it that the various spinoff games didn't do far worse? That the merch isn't selling less? That the MMO is losing players?

Reality is, the game sold fine. The spinoffs are selling fine. The MMO is doing great numbers for Square in almost every earnings report we have been privy to. The merch is selling well - the only person we have who is claiming that FFXVI is "falling behind" is a literal no name failed "journalist" trying tdesperately to get eyes on his patreon.

Final Fantasy has been anime from the start. Even teh most "beloved" games in the franchise are uber anime. FFIV? VI? VII? IX? X? XIV? Summoning bonkers ass summons, fighting gods, looking or acting uber anime, including cringe dialogue and "cartoon combat". Hate to break it to you, but you are living in your own falsified reality if you think that FFXVI is somehow *more* anime than games like FFVII.

Are you seriously advocating that Microsoft is trying to STARVE PlayStation?

I've seen some wacky theories in this thread, not last the absolutely crazy ones about Square Enix's stock prices, but this one would beat em. 😂

In some ways, yes. Every 3P publisher Microsoft acquires is one less 3P publisher Sony can independently work with for marketing deals, exclusivity rights, co-funding new games, providing technical support, deals for PS+ etc.

If MS own those publishers, there's no way in hell Sony can work with them in a way that is primarily beneficial for them because Microsoft will be a permanent gatekeeper, and they would not let Sony negotiate a deal or do anything with those assets that Microsoft themselves couldn't equally benefit from.

In effect, that neutralizes Sony's navigation and workability with 3P partners. At least when 3P are independent, even if they say do a deal with Sony for a game or two, Microsoft could outbid them for the same deals or offer better terms, or just do a deal for another game. We've seen that this year alone with Capcom: Sony got marketing rights to SF6 and RE4R, but Microsoft has marketing rights (and Day 1 Game Pass) for Exo Primal.

This also highlights why vertical mergers like an ABK M&A can be potentially anti-competitive, but 3P exclusivity deals are seen as pro-competitive by regulatory standards. In the case of the latter, the 3P is still independent and free to refuse offers, and those making offers have to compete with one another to make the best one. Since traditionally these are done for games primarily making money through a B2P model, the platform holder and 3P are therein incentivized to provide the best value to the customer to recoup costs for securing those deals, so that they financially make sense to do.

When you just outright buy the 3P publisher, especially when you as a company make magnitudes more actual profit through other non-gaming areas and where you don't need gaming to survive as a corporation, the incentive to provide that best value and (potentially) quality comes into question. At least, it potentially could.

Last edited:

justonething

Jada's BFF
In some ways, yes. Every 3P publisher Microsoft acquires is one less 3P publisher Sony can independently work with for marketing deals, exclusivity rights, co-funding new games, providing technical support, deals for PS+ etc.

If MS own those publishers, there's no way in hell Sony can work with them in a way that is primarily beneficial for them because Microsoft will be a permanent gatekeeper, and they would not let Sony negotiate a deal or do anything with those assets that Microsoft themselves couldn't equally benefit from.

In effect, that neutralizes Sony's navigation and workability with 3P partners. At least when 3P are independent, even if they say do a deal with Sony for a game or two, Microsoft could outbid them for the same deals or offer better terms, or just do a deal for another game. We've seen that this year alone with Capcom: Sony got marketing rights to SF6 and RE4R, but Microsoft has marketing rights (and Day 1 Game Pass) for Exo Primal.

This also highlights why vertical mergers like an ABK M&A can be potentially anti-competitive, but 3P exclusivity deals are seen as pro-competitive by regulatory standards. In the case of the latter, the 3P is still independent and free to refuse offers, and those making offers have to compete with one another to make the best one. Since traditionally these are done for games primarily making money through a B2P model, the platform holder and 3P are therein incentivized to provide the best value to the customer to recoup costs for securing those deals, so that they financially make sense to do.

When you just outright buy the 3P publisher, especially when you as a company make magnitudes more actual profit through other non-gaming areas and where you don't need gaming to survive as a corporation, the incentive to provide that best value and (potentially) quality comes into question. At least, it potentially could.
763267.jpg

How is anyone supposed to concentrate on your long post with this?

Madflavor

Final Fantasy VII Remake despite all the hype didn't hit 10 million sales.Let alone this....Square is only alive despite all the flops because of exclusivity $$$ it gets from PlayStation.Still, They are desperate enough to hire the NFT guy as their ceo.

I still can't believe that. Last figure we heard was 5 million three months after it's release. Like goddamn. I can promise Square is not happy with FF7R's sales numbers. They're probably hoping Rebirth will catch on more. I never thought a remake of FF7 would be underwhelming with sales.

I still can't believe that. Last figure we heard was 5 million three months after it's release. Like goddamn. I can promise Square is not happy with FF7R's sales numbers. They're probably hoping Rebirth will catch on more. I never thought a remake of FF7 would be underwhelming with sales.
because it feels like a cash grab. outdated game design...just pretty graphics

763267.jpg

How is anyone supposed to concentrate on your long post with this?

763267.jpg

Would this help concentration better? 😁😂

Square-Enix has the worst sales expectations of probably any 3P publisher. FWIW the RE remakes have done about 10 million each (some of them a tad less) and Capcom was elated with them. They have similar lifetime sales goals for SF6.

And I doubt FF VII Remake costed astronomically more in production budgets than the RE2, 3, or 4 remakes.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Square-Enix has the worst sales expectations of probably any 3P publisher. FWIW the RE remakes have done about 10 million each (some of them a tad less) and Capcom was elated with them. They have similar lifetime sales goals for SF6.

And I doubt FF VII Remake costed astronomically more in production budgets than the RE2, 3, or 4 remakes.
This is true. Still with a game with legendary status as Final Fantasy VII, that's been hotly requested for a remake for years, you'd think it would've sold more.

I dunno why they're panicking. I refuse to pre-order anything ever again because of shenanigans, but I'm definitely buying this. It's basically Devil May Cry with Final Fantasy flavor. I'm in.

Actually going by some preview impressions it is Final Fantasy with Devil May Cray flavor sprinkled in there.

Which might be reassuring for fans worried it was going to veer way off into DMC territory.

This is true. Still with a game with legendary status as Final Fantasy VII, that's been hotly requested for a remake for years, you'd think it would've sold more.

Suppose. But I could say the same about RE2 Remake, and that's about 9-10 million.

I think the very high sales of a select few 1P games (Spiderman, GOW, Zelda, Smash Bros. etc.) and like 1 or 2 3P games (COD, GTA) have inflated expectations of what most AAA games tend to actually sell. 20 million, 30 million...let alone 50 or 100 million etc., are exceptions, not the rule.

I remember when AAA games back in the PS1 days were lucky to hit 1-2 million in sales. Like yeah you had Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, FF VII, Mario 64 etc. get 5-10 million but among all of the big-budget games back then, those were the exception.

So SquEnix makes a game console exclusive and then wonders why the game is lagging in Pre-Order sales?

Seriously—who the holy f*** is SquEnix employing, because if this report is true, they have their head so far up their a** they taste denture crème.

Yes because FF XIII and XV set the Xbox sales charts on fire. And it's not like it's not coming to PC; TBH I think them setting the idea it's coming to PC six months later (when in reality it'll take longer) has led to quite a few to wait for a PC port they think is coming much sooner than it actually is.

Square-Enix should've just said a PC port will happen "at a future date" and left it at that.

Last edited:
Apparently, they were actually so pleased with VIIR’s sales that they upped the budget for Rebirth? I dunno.

And also, I might get shit for this, but FFVIIR didn’t exactly feel insanely high budget to me like, say, FFXIII. In fact, I’d say that Kingdom Hearts III felt like it had a higher budget than VIIR.

And I’m assuming the game didn’t sell like 10 million+ because of all the negativity surrounding the fact that it’s a multi-part release, and Remake in particular took place in just Midgar.

Idk I might be delusional but I’m expecting Rebirth to sell well.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Apparently, they were actually so pleased with VIIR’s sales that they upped the budget for Rebirth? I dunno.

And also, I might get shit for this, but FFVIIR didn’t exactly feel insanely high budget to me like, say, FFXIII. In fact, I’d say that Kingdom Hearts III felt like it had a higher budget than VIIR.

And I’m assuming the game didn’t sell like 10 million+ because of all the negativity surrounding the fact that it’s a multi-part release, and Remake in particular took place in just Midgar.

Idk I might be delusional but I’m expecting Rebirth to sell well.
FFVIIR, both PS4 and PS5 Intergrade versions were put on PS+ less than a year after release. Both games are available on PS+ to this day. So that would be destroyed sales longevity.

Nocturno999

In part due to no release for PS4/PC.
Many FF fans have shifted to PC but SE keeps being awful and disrespectful to its fanbase.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
That's the issue with limiting yourself to a single platform.It also only arrived to pc after 1.5+ year of it's release and was a Epic launcher exclusive.All the hype was dead by then.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

In part due to no release for PS4/PC.
Many FF fans have shifted to PC but SE keeps being awful and disrespectful to its fanbase.
Many games that have launched on both console and PC this year have been an absolute mess on PC. The DF guys citing it as one of the worst years they can remember for PC ports. So probably the right call for them to focus on one version and then release a solid PC port 6-12months after release.

j.k.2021

Banned
FFVIIR, both PS4 and PS5 Intergrade versions were put on PS+ less than a year after release. Both games are available on PS+ to this day. So that would be destroyed sales longevity.
It became available on PS+ for a reason.Speaking of which, It's steam concurrent player numbers weren't anything to gloat about.It seems that pc gamers lost all the interest because of delayed launch.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Interesting to note that the Japanese Collector Edition for this game only sold out in recently which is not the norm, as the Collector Editions usually sell out within a month

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Interesting to note that the Japanese Collector Edition for this game only sold out in recently which is not the norm, as the Collector Editions usually sell out within a month

It is important to note how expensive the CE was and around the time it was available. Many other high profile games with CE were released in that time frame. Many much cheaper than the 300+ USD CE for FFXVI. The Japanese Yen is also *much* weaker than it used to be, so not everyone can readily afford such an expensive CE.

Interfectum

Eh, this is jumping the gun. There are a ton of games out right now and lots of money being spent.... less chance for gamers to pre-order. If the reviews are great I expect this one to break records.

Celcius

°Temp. member
This is dumb lol. With everything being digital these days, I’m only going to preorder the day before so that I can preload it.

SNG32

It will probably do less since it’s exclusive to PS5. If Square wanted to get them numbers up they need a PC release day and date. Square really needs to look at how Capcom came back swinging.

iorek21

As some people stated here, Square is the worst in setting sales expectations. Every single recent Tomb Raider managed to sell “below expectations”, stuff like Sleeping Dogs and other games as well. Square is just full of shit.

They expect Rockstar level of sales on less popular genres.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Not much incentive to preorder unless early access to the game or physical merchandise is included with the preorder. Which often times now...is nonexistent or lackluster.

Like the only games worth preordering I feel are maybe big releases. Like Zelda.

I mean the company is right to be worried since this has a lot riding on FFXVI being super special amazing after FFXV being lacking and the only big sales FF has seen is FFVIIR, DFFOO, FFXIV and FFXVI is only launching on PS5 which is a rather young system right now and if it follows FFXV it will be ported to PC and be made available in a few years and then you just wait for it to go on sale.

FFXVI might be technically impressive but the cast is nothing to write home about to the point any average Tales Of game will probably have more memorable characters.

But like others have said Square Enix tends to buy into their own hype too much and have expectations that can't be met due to their flagship franchise stagnating over time.

-------------------

Those surprised FF7R didn't break 10 million for being a remake is a incorrect statement as FFVIIR is more like FFVII-2 then anything else since it's a alt timeline deal. And if FF7 is not selling truckloads that's even more indication that the brand is dying.

SE should stick to AA budgets and make great games instead of focusing on graphical or technical fidelity.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I haven't pre-ordered yet. Because I don't give two shits about FFXVI. I was a diehard FF fanboy starting with FFVI in 1994, but they lost me a long time ago. FFXIII was the last straw, I haven't considered myself a real FF since then. I have zero interest in FF Online, but I did play FFXV and hey, it was actually pretty good. A joke of an FF game, but still a decent modern JRPG. That's basically what I assume FFXVI will be. So relax Squeenix, you'll still be getting my hard earned moneys when the time comes. But you won't be getting my love.

Gambit2483

I haven't pre-ordered yet. Because I don't give two shits about FFXVI. I was a diehard FF fanboy starting with FFVI in 1994, but they lost me a long time ago. FFXIII was the last straw, I haven't considered myself a real FF since then. I have zero interest in FF Online, but I did play FFXV and hey, it was actually pretty good. A joke of an FF game, but still a decent modern JRPG. That's basically what I assume FFXVI will be. So relax Squeenix, you'll still be getting my hard earned moneys when the time comes. But you won't be getting my love.
Guessing you didn't like/play FF7R then? 🤔

Muffdraul

Guessing you didn't like/play FF7R then? 🤔
I did. Again, I thought it was OK. FFVII was one of my favorite games of all time, but I was never particularly interested in a remake. The most I ever asked for was a new English translation from scratch.

Top Bottom