• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2014, Norway police officers fired two shots, killed no one, injured no one

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Number of people killed by police firearm use:
screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-3-50-48-pm.png

Number of people injured by police firearm use:
screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-3-51-44-pm.png

Number of times police threatened to use a firearm:
screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-3-49-12-pm.png

Number of shots fired by police offers:
screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-5-31-19-pm.png

The lack of police firearm violence in Norway likely has to do with the fact that most Norwegian police are unarmed. Not so with Norway as a whole: With 31.3 firearms per 100 people, the country ranks 11th in the world in terms of the rate of gun ownership. But private ownership of a gun remains tightly regulated and is mostly limited to the country’s hunters.

Norwegian gun ownership is dwarfed by the United States’ staggering rate of 101.05 firearms per 100 people, a statistic that makes Americans the world’s top firearms owners. With so many guns floating around, it’s virtually impossible to imagine a scenario in which U.S. cops would ever agree to disarm like their Norwegian counterparts.
The fact that Norwegian police release these statistics at all is also a remarkable phenomenon. Efforts to combat police violence in the United States have been hampered by the lack of reliable statistics. In the absence of government figures, media organizations have begun systematically tracking the issue. So far this year, 587 people have been killed by police, according to the Guardian’s count.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/07/0...orways-non-existent-level-of-police-violence/

Staggering to see. When will you get your shit together, USA? :(

Coins

Banned
Number of people killed by police firearm use:
screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-3-50-48-pm.png

Number of people injured by police firearm use:
screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-3-51-44-pm.png

Number of times police threatened to use a firearm:
screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-3-49-12-pm.png

Number of shots fired by police offers:
screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-5-31-19-pm.png

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/07/0...orways-non-existent-level-of-police-violence/

What do you propose we do? Lol. Criminals are armed as well. No law abiding citizen that exercises gun ownership is going to give up their guns. It's too late to fix.

Majine

Banned
The previous year, the number of hurt civilians was up 200% tho.

Scandinavia, you just won't stop this barbarism.

Syriel

So what you're saying that that Norwegian police need better aim? ;)

Seriously though, that is some impressive restraint. Good on them for policing without needing to shoot every time someone farts.

American police could certainly improve on that front.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
What do you propose we do? Lol. Criminals are armed as well. No law abiding citizen that exercises gun ownership is going to give up their guns. It's too late to fix.

Nothing is ever too late to fix, the only issue is we as a country need to try and fix the issue first.

Dalek

Nothing is ever too late to fix, the only issue is we as a country need to try and fix the issue first.

*knock, knock*

Hello sir, I'm from the government. We're trying to make the country a better place, will you please turn over those legally purchased guns to us? Pretty please?

Grym

So you're saying when law enforcement shoots in Norway, they miss 100% of the time?

Time to move the crime family overseas.

chadskin

*knock, knock*

Hello sir, I'm from the government. We're trying to make the country a better place, will you please turn over those legally purchased guns to us? Pretty please?

Tax 'em hard, offer them an additional monetary incentive if they turn over their weapon and stop selling weapons at Walmart. Sure, realistically, you're not going to bring the US down to Norway levels within a year, probably not even a decade or longer but you gotta start somewhere some day.

how do you have more guns than people America?

Most gun ownership here is related to collection weapons, hobbyists or hunting. It helps a lot that there is a lack of paranoia or fear in relation to owning or using a gun. I find it interesting that still we have a lot of ownership of guns than many other countries.

Tax 'em hard, offer them an additional monetary incentive if they turn over their weapon and stop selling weapons at Walmart. Sure, realistically, you're not going to bring the US down to Norway levels within a year, probably not even a decade or longer but you gotta start somewhere some day.

You'd have a better chance outlawing the manufacturing of firearms than you would getting people to willfully surrender them. And the chance for the former is still pretty much nil (considering the government buys them).

Dalek

storafötter;171422408 said:
Most gun ownership here is related to collection weapons, hobbyists or hunting. It helps a lot that there is a lack of paranoia or fear in relation to owning or using a gun. I find it interesting that still we have a lot of ownership of guns than many other countries.

I don't think I know one person that is a gun owner. The majority of them horde them, like nuts with a squirrel.

mcarlie

Banned
A wealthy country of roughly 5 million people who to a large degree live outside of major cities doesn't really compare to the U.S.

King_Moc

Banned
A wealthy country of roughly 5 million people who to a large degree live outside of major cities doesn't really compare to the U.S.

Ahh, the "you can't compare any other countries to America" argument. Sure you can. The OP literally just did it.

Ahh, the "you can't compare any other countries to America" argument. Sure you can. The OP literally just did it.

And shouldn't have. That's what he's saying. Scandinavia is much more socioeconomically homogenized. At least, I don't think poverty is an epidemic in Norway.

BadHand

Hey I wonder how many people Norway has than the US.

Pick a state, any state you like with approx. 5million people living there...

And shouldn't have. That's what he's saying. Scandinavia is much more socioeconomically homogenized. At least, I don't think poverty is an epidemic in Norway.

This isn't a defense though, it's clearly a major part of the problem.

"you really can't compare the two, Norway is far less fucked up than the US".

mcarlie

Banned

You can compare the U.S with any country that you want but this is still a poor comparison.

I'm not saying that the U.S shouldn't have stricter gun control, or that if you compared the U.S with Europe as a whole they would be equal in this regard, but comparing the U.S with Norway is going to result in widely different statistics for other reasons than policy.

King_Moc

Banned

So you should only compare America to countries which are identical? So then what's the point?

Pick a state, any state you like with approx. 5million people living there...

This isn't a defense though, it's clearly a major part of the problem.

"you really can't compare the two, Norway is far less fucked up than the US".

Fine. Disarm the police to Norwegian levels and they'll get merc'd in the streets in parts of many cities.

BadHand

Let's pick Alabama. 4,849,377 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...t_officers_in_the_United_States,_January_2014

Ctrl+F Alabama

1 of 1 results. Aww, well that didn't last very long.

Aren't we talking about gun discharges? People complaining about apples and oranges...

They much prefer to pump chemicals into your veins in Alabama.

Fine. Disarm the police to Norwegian levels and they'll get merc'd in the streets in parts of many cities.

Umm, yeah, we know. And this is a problem too.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

You'd have a better chance outlawing the manufacturing of firearms than you would getting people to willfully surrender them. And the chance for the former is still pretty much nil (considering the government buys them).

Start taxing ammunition then. Like ridiculous levels of taxing.

Maybe Minnesota, it seems like a pretty homogeneous place to me. 5,457,173 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...t_officers_in_the_United_States,_January_2014

Ctrl+F Minnesota. 0 of 0. Wow, it made it one month!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._officers_in_the_United_States,_February_2014

Ctrl+F Minnesota. 2 of 2. Aww.

It's weird because you're just posting this for yourself. The guy who said to pick any state with 5 mill people was suggesting you'd find this to be the exact case.

lemmykoopa

Apple and oranges imo. Low rate of poverty in Norway, thus less need to commit crime, theft etc.

Also Norway is a cold and dark country for a big part of the year and there is a big connection between crime and hot areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom