• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2014, Norway police officers fired two shots, killed no one, injured no one

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadHand

The lack of police firearm violence in Norway likely has to do with the fact that most Norwegian police are unarmed.
Norwegian police have been carrying weapons for a while now though, under the guise of some undetermined terrorist threat. The police will probably use this statistic to argue that the arming should be permanent, and I would be surprised if it didn't end up that way.

I don't really get why we shouldn't. We compare in all other stuff, economy, social standard etc.
Indeed. Americans used to love to compare ourselves to everyone else. We bragged endlessly about all the stuff we were awesome at. Education, productivity, infrastructure, technology, quality of life, whatever. Well, we're not awesome at that stuff any more, and mysteriously Americans no longer want to compare/contrast versus other Western nations essentially "cuz 'Murica! We're too unique!"

The only metrics we lead the world in any more are incarceration rate and firearm ownership and those generally aren't things you boast. It is 100% fair to compare/contrast the US versus other developed nations. Western Europe in particular. (Disclaimer: For statistical and simplicity purposes, I consider Canada, Australia and New Zealand to be Western European)
Does the US even count the amount of ammunition discharged?
I don't think so. There often aren't records on number of police shootings, even. Media here has had an incredibly hard time gathering info from across the country to try to get the full picture.
What the fuck is it with non-Americans fascination with our gun culture ?
I can see why it'd be interesting. How could such a country possibly be that stupid? That broken? That divided? And still function? At all? And be a world power? Holy shit! Hell, even as an American these things are a wonder.

Our institutional racism is quite a marvel, too, and our backwater social policies are stacking up.

Unfathomability

Neo Member

Well, you have a fascinating gun culture. It seems to hinge almost entirely on principle, rather than a personal need, or recent war...and a slight fetishization of your constitution.

And the defeatist arguments against even TRYING to do something about it - many talk about the gun lobby like they are a law of nature, rather than a collection of people and money. And ideals can be shifted, we see it all the time on social issues (most recently gay rights) by sustained activism and awareness. Bringing things to light, normalizing what we want to be the norm and raising the problems with things we dislike. It does not HAVE to be this way, and yet the conversation is at a stand-still.

So yeah, I'm fascinated.

Chariot

I just keep seeing people getting shot and die, while the USA keeps openly celebrating war and arms. Of course there are plently of shootings that are on some basis justified, however you guys have far too many unjustified ones and a lot of them are not even properly judged. On the other hand this barely happens in all of Europe, even in the poorer and underdeveloped parts.

Yeah, why not?

I don't really get why we shouldn't. We compare in all other stuff, economy, social standard etc.

Because it's not a useful comparison. It's a waste of time. Do you think anyone on this board read the title and went...."I bet America did better!".

No. They didn't. It's entirely different circumstances and cultures. And most people seem to understand that. Norway's police shootings aren't part of the gun debate here in America.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I can see why it'd be interesting. How could such a country possibly be that stupid? That broken? That divided? And still function? At all? And be a world power? Holy shit! Hell, even as an American these things are a wonder.

Our institutional racism is quite a marvel, too, and our backwater social policies are stacking up.

Maybe there are some things we just aren't meant to understand... Like how the British ever managed to sustain a global empire on such dreadful cuisine.

I just keep seeing people getting shot and die, while the USA keeps openly celebrating war and arms. Of course there are plently of shootings that are on some basis justified, however you guys have far too many unjustified ones and a lot of them are not even properly judged. On the other hand this barely happens in all of Europe, even in the poorer and underdeveloped parts.

Even if you took guns away 100% then People would just find another method of murder.

What the fuck is it with Americans trying to avoid the issue by pretending only foreigners have a problem with this?

Don't try to fucking put words in my mouth

Edit: add quote

fanboi

Banned
Because it's not a useful comparison. It's a waste of time. Do you think anyone on this board read the title and went...."I bet America did better!".

No. They didn't. It's entirely different circumstances and cultures. And most people seem to understand that. Norway's police shootings aren't part of the gun debate here in America.

So according to you we shouldn't compare anything. Very strange view.

But it is okay to compare Texas to New York then? Or what?

So according to you we shouldn't compare anything. Very strange view.

But it is okay to compare Texas to New York then? Or what?

Depends. There's something called nuance that you seem not to grasp. There are certainly valid comparisons to be made on any number of things in any number of situations. This ain't one of them.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Depends. There's something called nuance that you seem not to grasp. There are certainly valid comparisons to be made on any number of things in any number of situations. This ain't one of them.

Is it because the situation in America is somehow unique on a global level? Or is it because morality is different on your side of the pond?

fanboi

Banned

Why isn't this one thing to compare? Can you name something that is comparable? I just want to understand your reasoning.

Is it because the situation in America is somehow unique on a global level? Or is it because morality is different on your side of the pond?

It's obviously closer to the former. You'd have a hard time finding another country with a similar combination of cultural and socioeconomic diversity, militarized police force, and gun culture. Add in the war on drugs and baby you got a stew goin'.

It's obviously closer to the former. You'd have a hard time finding another country with a similar combination of cultural and socioeconomic diversity, militarized police force, and gun culture. Add in the war on drugs and baby you got a stew goin'.

And how is that an excuse for all the dead black people killed by police officers for example?

Even if we accept all your points as explenation for the special American situation, but that's not an excuse why people should accept the status quo.

BadHand

Also Norway is a cold and dark country for a big part of the year and there is a big connection between crime and hot areas.

Like Australia, full of criminals. And Hell too.

Climate and population size as it turns out is a recipe for disaster. You know that feeling when your stuck on a crowded and hot train and everyone just wants to kill each other. Now expand that to a country with a population of 500million. Bloodbath.

And how is that an excuse for all the dead black people killed by police officers for example?

Even if we accept all your points as explenation for the special American situation, but that's not an excuse why people should accept the status quo.

At what point did I offer it as an excuse?

The whole "lul America look how easy it is for Norway" connotation of many of the posts in this thread irked me and I posited that it's not really fair to compare the two nations on this issue.

geardo

Even if you took guns away 100% then People would just find another method of murder.

This is true. But it wouldn't detract from the benefits of a hypothetical ban; unless if you honestly believe that the tens of thousands of firearm related deaths every year in the US would transfer into stabbings, bombings, etc.

CoolOff

That's... not a great argument.

Are you of the opinion that all methods of murder are as easy to use in mind of these "borderline killers"? If in any given situation you put a pianowire in an assailants hand he'll kill just those same people he would've with a gun?

And with regards to our fascination with your gun culture, it's totally "watching a car crash and not being able to look away".

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

The reason I take issue with this line of reasoning is that the U.S. has seldom shied away from applying its own specific standards of morality to vastly different and complex situations occurring in other parts of the world. And they've been equally unshy about acting on these beliefs.

At what point did I offer it as an excuse?

The whole "lul America look how easy it is for Norway" connotation of many of the posts in this thread irked me and I posited that it's not really fair to compare the two nations on this issue.

It's absolutly fair. There is a country where police officers don't care firearms and there is another country where police officers are killing unarmed black people and they get even away with it.

You just don't like the result of the comparison.

Kinokou

The most fun thing about this is that the report wasn't considered news worthy in Norway before the foreign media coverage started.

Norwegian police have been carrying weapons for a while now though, under the guise of some undetermined terrorist threat. The police will probably use this statistic to argue that the arming should be permanent, and I would be surprised if it didn't end up that way.

Yes, but not a really big scale(?) as it has been trial projects after the 2011 terror attack and at the time I remember hearing it wasn't going to be a permanent change. But I think there has been a bigger scale trial or even an official arming since November last year. I haven't really been following it so closely but saying the police is unarmed for the entire period shown while officially right is kind of inaccurate and especially in regards to 2014, again IIRC.

As of this year, the arming of the police has been extended to August second and on June 26 the police did shot at and hit a guy who opened fire on them. This I know for sure.

This is true. But it wouldn't detract from the benefits of a hypothetical ban; unless if you honestly believe that the tens of thousands of firearm related deaths every year in the US would transfer into stabbings, bombings, etc.

No I wouldn't say a complete 100% transference but I guarantee at least 50% would translate into another method of homicde. So really at the end of the day taking away or curbing gun ownership doesn't solve shit well at least in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom