• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2014, Norway police officers fired two shots, killed no one, injured no one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idba

all of them

when all you have to offer up is anecdotal evidence based solely around "well i saw it on the news".

thanks for proving my point

Is it not true that you are fucking in love with guns? Is it not true that you have cops that kills multiple times a day? Is it not true that everytime a massacre happens you all tip toe around gun control? That you claim USA is to special to be compared to anyone? Is it not true that you have over 10,000 homocides by gun each year?

Stop being a self righteous douchebag. Youre getting defensive everytime someone not from "the best country in the world" calls you out on your bullshit

BTW, most of those respones were people saying "they're fascinated over how y'all love guns so f**king much you cry everytime someone even mentions gun control."

No, the problem is you're talking about a de facto infringement on a fundamental right guaranteed in the Constitution. By specifically taxing the means of exercising a right in a manner intended to suppress the ability to exercise that right, you are taxing the right itself. Like, for example, poll taxes (Jim Crow) or an exorbitant tax on printing presses (pre-internet) to control who could publish information.

Agreed. Which is why the tax needs to be reasonable. I would have NO problem with a 5-10% tax on my guns and ammunition if I knew for an absolute fact that money would go to mental healthcare, victims of gun violence. But then when the tax gets manipulated to suppress gun ownership that's when I'd have a problem.

You can even add up all EU members and it's still very low in a population of 500m+. Also in Germany Der Spiegel reported only 85 shots were fired in Germany in 2011.

I think it's simply difference in police training and how to deal with situations, police are trained how to diffuse and apprehend a suspect without firing a weapon or if at last resort is required it's non-lethal.

BadHand

all of them

when all you have to offer up is anecdotal evidence based solely around "well i saw it on the news".

Lol. You haven't even offered up anecdotal evidence. You've just told people they're wrong, uninformed stupid foreigners that could never possibly understand.

If reporting and statistics are anecdotal, can I ask where you get your beliefs from?

Have you read my other posts?

Yeah i been reading them have you ?

Norwegian cops are fuckin' lazy deadbeats

going for that parody are we ? so meta

You don't get to choose which problem the world cares about more in this scenario.

yeah because fuck Brazil right ?

it's kind of similar to America's fascination with freedom (or lack thereof) in any other country...

The reason I take issue with this line of reasoning is that the U.S. has seldom shied away from applying its own specific standards of morality to vastly different and complex situations occurring in other parts of the world. And they've been equally unshy about acting on these beliefs.

Not only that, the thing that baffles me the most is that the same people saying the gun problem is too complex hardly bat an eyelid when far more complex and difficult to solve foreign issues are brought up.

Apartheid in South Africa? Unacceptable, we will not stand for this, we will not rest until it has been abolished!

Dictatorships in the middle east? Inexcusable, it is our duty as Americans to rid the world of such injustice!

Communism? We will fight to the bitter end even when we aren't sure which side we should be supporting!

But local gun control? Woah there! Lets not bite off more than we can chew....

just a bunch of ad hominem's

As a foreigner, there's one thing I've gotten out of this thread and that is that some Americans have a self-righteousness complex.

sanctimoniousness is not exclusive to Americans

I don't think a news segment constitutes "anecdotal evidence".

Some reading comprehension would help here because i didn't say the actual news segment was anecdotal did i ? what i am saying is if you used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence that shit is anecdotal evidence plain and simple.

Lol. You haven't even offered up anecdotal evidence. You've just told people they're wrong, uninformed stupid foreigners that could never possibly understand.

If reporting and statistics are anecdotal, can I ask where you get your beliefs from?

go back and read my post on FBI data

hahahhaah where do you see anyone offering up statistics ?

Idba

You can even add up all EU members and it's still very low in a population of 500m+. Also in Germany Der Spiegel reported only 85 shots were fired in Germany in 2011.

I think it's simply difference in police training and how to deal with situations, police are trained how to diffuse and apprehend a suspect without firing a weapon or if at last resort is required it's non-lethal.

Also the police in the US are trained to always treat people as a threat and assume they have a gun which in return makes them paranoid as fuck. Doesnt help that alot of people actually has a gun.

BadHand

go back and read my post on FBI data

hahahhaah where do you see anyone offering up statistics ?

They're right there in the OP.

The topic is about police gun discharges, injuries and so-called "justifiable" homicides.

Your head-in-the sand bullshit you posted earlier was not actually very helpful as other pointed out.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
going for that parody are we ? so meta
That was indeed a pointless joke. The posts that came after it, however, were intended to make a very clear and consistent point.

yeah because fuck Brazil right ?
No, because I was specifically asking about gun violence in the US. Pointing out that the situation in Brazil is worse is avoiding to address the question.

just a bunch of ad hominem's
I'm sorry you feel that way. Whether or not you personally subscribe to the beliefs brought up in my examples, it's pretty much a fact that US governments have on many occasions throughout the decades, enacted a foreign policy based on intervention in the name of very general principals, often failing to take into account the finer details of a given crisis, even when such details could have made the difference between improving the situation and aggravating it. This has, for better or for worse, become something of a hallmark of American foreign policy. So it would seem reasonable to expect Americans be able to recognize when such a crisis is going on within its own borders, and acknowledge the alarm of the international community.

By dismissing this alarm and claiming that the issue is too complex and delicate and confounded by historical precedents you're essentially telling the world that it's ok to apply a brute force approach based on incomplete information when it comes to a foreign crisis, but when it comes to a local one this is unacceptable and a higher standard of intervention is required. That's basically like saying to the rest of the world: "You should accept the kind of intervention that we don't consider good enough for ourselves".

sanctimoniousness is not exclusive to Americans
I never once claimed it was. That still doesn't address the topic of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom