• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In my opinion, lag on the NES Classic makes games unplayable

FinKL

Ok opinions are all over the place and input lag was the first thing I noticed when I started SMB. Even after PC/Game mode on my 2008 LCD Samsung I could tell there was a tiny bit. This is such a subjective topic as not everyone is sensitive to it. So people reporting no input lag I'm assuming you all are on monitors?

eXistor

I have minimal input lag (it's there but at acceptable levels imo), but I do notice significant audio lag. I tried adjusting it on my TV, but it doesn't really help.

Phoenixus

Little-to-no lag on mine either. And I'm using a controller extension cable that had every chance of introducing lag. Nope, can still PunchOut just fine.

Ranger X

So is this thread telling me that this Nintendo classic machine is a shittier product than I thought? (and I think its pretty shitty already!)

How come many people are having lag? If there's lag its mostly because the TV would have to rescale the image. Which wouldn't happen if the NES classic was actually doing it (as it should). Or is it that people are having such shitty TV that they feel lag just because of the post processing on their image??? In that case they would feel lag in ALL games...

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So is this thread telling me that this Nintendo classic machine is a shittier product than I thought? (and I think its pretty shitty already!)

How come many people are having lag? If there's lag its mostly because the TV would have to rescale the image. Which wouldn't happen if the NES classic was actually doing it (as it should). Or is it that people are having such shitty TV that they feel lag just because of the post processing on their image??? In that case they would feel lag in ALL games...

It's gotta be their TVs. I have zero lag and I've used it on my computer monitor and got no lag as well.

The NES mini is scaled on ALL flatscreen HDTVs. There are no native 720p panels. Even the sets advertised as 720p are actually 768p.

AgeEighty

When did gamers turn into fragile snowflakes who throw their controllers away in frustration at the slightest flaw in their gameplay experience? This OP is ridiculous.

Minions

I'm running a HDTV from 2005~ish and I don't have hardly any input lag. That is the main reason I never upgraded. All the newer TV's have so many things added to them that they often cause more problems than they are worth.

Put me in the category of minimal latency (only noticeable when compared to my crt and nes, about the same delay as og nes on my hdtv), less than my raspi running retroarch.

When did gamers turn into fragile snowflakes who throw their controllers away in frustration at the slightest flaw in their gameplay experience? This OP is ridiculous.

Input lag is kind of a big deal, particularly on older games.

I haven't noticed it too much on the NES Classic, save for Punch-Out!!

Try using game mode.
Start up Mega Man 2.
Select Bubble Man's stage.

If you can jump over the insta-falling platforms at the beginning of the level with ease you're good to go.

If you can't then your tv sucks.

McSpidey

The constantly increasing input lag of modern displays is possibly the #1 modern game design influence. Someone please make a modern display tech as good as a CRT.

Javaman

Turn off all the post-processing shit you can and enable "game mode" if your TV has one. There's always going to be some lag (you're going from a technology that measured input lag in nanoseconds to one that measures it in milliseconds), but it should never be "unplayable."

My Vizio smart TV from several years is totally unplayable even in game mode with audio and video functions turned off. It's consistently over 300ms video lag and roughly the same with audio. You can actually notice the delay before the character moves on-screen when moving the controller. I got the delay figures from calibrating in rockband 3.

Totally ruined the game for me and I gave up on console playing because of it.

I might have the same TV(2013 LED TV) as you, so try this:
1) Turn off every post processing and "picture "enhancing" shit in the settings. not only for gaming but also for regular TV/BR watching. Samsung TVs(from this era?) are especially fucked up when it comes to these things.
The "purer" the better. I could get the best picture by fiddling around only with colors, sharpness and contrast settings. everything else made the picture quality annoyingly unnatural and introduced a TON of lag.

2) Rename the Hdmi port to "PC". This disables also all the "enhancements". You might notice a drop of colors etc. well, that is how your picture should look like while gaming because you are also gaining way better response time.

Not only the NES classic feels now almost lagfree to me; it also turned my WiiU/PS3 experiences from frustration into joy.

this is 100% the TVs fault

Are NES Mini pads using the USB interface?
This creates extra input lag.

no

AgeEighty

Input lag is kind of a big deal, particularly on older games.

I haven't noticed it too much on the NES Classic, save for Punch-Out!!

It's a slight problem you can usually adapt your reflexes to. I've never yet played a game where input lag made it "unplayable".

The OP also jumps straight to blaming the console in a new thread rather than trying to find a solution involving his TV set.

GAF needs to chill the fuck out with "unplayable".

Yes.

Mine is fine. I've used slow mo footage to test the input lag, and though it's not CRT perfect, it's definitely not much, and the games play great. I've finished Mega man 2, Ninja gaiden, and plenty of other titles just fine.

I can tell the difference when I'm playing on OG hardware on a CRT though, but that's only when I do that. Other than then, it's not noticeable.

It's your TVs. Make sure they handle 720p well.

I'm running a HDTV from 2005~ish and I don't have hardly any input lag. That is the main reason I never upgraded. All the newer TV's have so many things added to them that they often cause more problems than they are worth.

Put me in the category of minimal latency (only noticeable when compared to my crt and nes, about the same delay as og nes on my hdtv), less than my raspi running retroarch.

Same here. When I got my still running HDTV in 2005, I even tested out several consoles in the electronics store where I bought it (from low res to HD).
Still got the original NES though comparison is difficult (PAL system) but I could play Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Super Mario without any problems on the Mini and as an Arcade gaming enthusiast, I am usually a bit more sensible to input lag, image quality and change in framerates/refresh. The one issue I have with the Mini NES is some problem with the sound output which seems a little bit off in timing.

I know there are some TV sets which add inbetween frames automatically for smoother movie/tv experiences or other sorts of image processing. Those can eff up games in general, even modern ones, when it comes to input. For a lot of people, that probably even makes modern console games feel different than intended by the devs. Makes me wonder if consoles should be able to adjust to different sorts of TV sets automatically (not just when it comes to resolution) so everyone has the best experince possible... PC games have options for different monitors so it wouldn't be far out there.

Crub

How come there isn't a single non-CRT TV on the market with monitor-like response time?

I assume it's due to technical limitations with larger displays, because there certainly is a demand.

DonMigs85

You can try changing the input name of your TV to "PC" if possible. That can change its mode, disabling more post-processing and further reduce input lag compared to just game mode.

THEaaron

It is not new. A german site also made a test on the nes classic mini and they weren't full of praise for that thing. But in the end it is legit stuff.

Soundeffekte im Off-Beat, höhere Eingabeverzögerung und mal mehr, mal weniger Ruckeln. Das NES Classic Mini offenbart im Vergleichstest mit der Original-Hardware von 1984 eindeutige Nachteile.

Soundeffects off-beat, higher input lag and some stutter. The NES Classic Mini shows its shortcomings compared to the original hardware from 1984.

http://www.golem.de/news/nes-classi...g-fuer-die-original-hardware-1611-124550.html

They particularly said there is higher input lag than the original hardware offers but it is not too severe.

There is definitely some lag coming from the device, anyone saying there isn't any just doesn't notice it. I've got an AV Famicom modded with the HiDefNES kit which has absolutely ZERO lag (tests have been done). The NES Classic definitely falls a frame or two at least, behind it. It's not a terrible amount of lag but depending on your tv it can easily get out of hand. Trying to beat Tyson's substitute in Punch Out! would definitely be challenging on it.

Top Bottom