• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In our eight generation of gaming, are you disc/cart, digital or both?

Not including indie games, are you all digital, all disc/cart or a mix of both?

• All Disc/Cart Games

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • All Digital Games

Votes: 64 28.7%
  • Mixture of both Disc/Cart & Digital

Votes: 111 49.8%

• Total voters

xrnzaaas

For me it's a mix of both, I'd never go full disc or full digital. Disc is definitely my preferred way of buying games simply because I can sell them if I end up disliking them or feeling that they weren't good value for money. I'd be buying more retail games if they were all available on disc and if the retail deals were better. Sometimes PS Store's or Steam's deals are so good they just can't compete.

Jaxcellent

Ps4 new games phisycal, sales under 20 euro digital, but sometimes when i need to play at exactly the release date.. i can go digital, but most times i regret it.

Switch all games physical, some digital only games: digital.

I get its convenient going all digital, but if you buy alot of games: you cant sell digital.

Physical all day long and will continue i to the PS5 lifecycle. There has been so many random PSNXbox account banning, on this forum showed, that i will never go full digital. Pay all that money and then it all vanishes in an instant because you had no cash on card for renewal, hence thought it was a scam and forever banned you. Fuck that.

Only thing digital i take are free PSN titles every month.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
PC - well, don't really have a choice. it's all digital. not that i'm complaining....

PS4 - all digital. i can't even remember the last physical game I bought for it. The only use my drive gets is playing Blu Ray movies.

Switch - Mostly cartridges because I love them. Maybe it's just nostalgia of having game boy cartridges. I don't mind ditching discs but they will need to pry my cartridges out my cold dead hands.

Diddy X

Only media that I prefer physical is books because being able to hold it while using it makes it a better experience, all others mean having a box laying around for no reason.

Blond

Banned
I'm disc till digitals prices go lower. I'm sorry but I'm not going to pay 65 dollars for a digital copy with no resell value, no guarantee of future downloads and no discount when I can buy a physical THING that's mine forever.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
That's the point, even the biggest nerds out there with too much free time and no actual life to fill it sooner or later get older and grow up, and stop living in the past and going back to decades old titles the world has forgotten,

But still, regarding the servers being shut down - that's not going to happen, like, ever, unless something will flop completely, and by completely I mean something like let's say Stadia not being able to actually penetrate the market, at all within next 5-7 years, as there would be nothing to lose for Google, but for all of the services that are already there for years/decades and are well established, it just won't happen, they are there primarly to milk money on a monthly/yearly basis, not for a "quick" cash grab and disappear in 5 or 10 years, That would be catastrophic for any public company, as A) they would lose their main/only source of income, B) they would completely lost their customers and would never be able to regain them, C) the stocks would go downhill AF. It's simply not within the companies interest to start those services and shut them down later on, and the longer it lasts and the bigger the customer base gets, the harder it would be for them to actually perform a shut down, without serious injuries, including mass lawsuits from both the customers and the investors. In other words, shutting down a service might as well ended up with shutting down the entire company.

Removing individual titles or disabling their online components, now that's a different story, but then again, today's 100GB is yesterday 10MB, the memory copacity of the servers is drastically going up every single year, so in theory there would be no point for the companies to remove 10/15/20yo games, as their size would be laughable compared to the service capacity at the given time.

And on a personal note, I find that digital is actually more future-proof, as the games stay with your account, as oppose to old consoles people most likely sell once a new generation shows up, and all the games for the old console along with it. Especially as you mentioned, a console sooner or later will fail to operate, and the same way the optical discs will also sooner or later fail to work, as oppose to servers that have everything backed up. Sure, putting everything in the publishers hands is a risky move, but as I mentioned, it's withing their very own best interest to keep those services and games going. I mean, Steam, XBL, PSN etc. are already almost two decades old, and so far so good to say the least.

I hope you are right. I also hope that, as new consoles come out, the games we buy digitally will work on new consoles....it seems Xbox will go that direction. Not sure about Sony. At least for a couple generations.

Fox Mulder

maybe none of us will care about these games in 20 years.

The iconic stuff will just get remakes or remasters. I’d much rather play old stuff made prettier on current hardware than play on like a n64 or Xbox.

I still have my vhs copy of Independence Day in a closet somewhere too, but I’m of course going to watch it on Blu-ray or digital streaming now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom