• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the interests of being fair....

.....here are the figures for the UK consoles last week:

DS: 44,000 (stock very low in retail now)
SP/Micro: 34,000
PSP: 62,000 (Giga pack out - back in stock)

Mario Kart bundle in on Friday though..... :)

Well, unless there was some new big-name game release, there goes the theory that the PSP shortage is fake and the the sales are merely trending with software releases.

Izzy

Banned
Gaybrush Threepio said:

Well, you certainly are a good sport, matey!

Anyway, just for clarification - Gigapack wasn't 'officially' out.

Xmas PSP numbers will be monstrous.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Im expecting the PSP numbers to be even bigger in the next xouple of weeks because of the PES5 release.

Izzy

Banned
psycho_snake said:
Im expecting the PSP numbers to be even bigger in the next xouple of weeks because of the PES5 release.

I have this feeling PSP just might upstage UK X360 launch... :)

Sunski

The power of the GTA (trust me, every PSP I see someone playing on the train to work has Liberty Stories plugged in).

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Well. Isn't most of the Xbox360 that will be availible at launch already pre-ordered?

Sunski said:
The power of the GTA (trust me, every PSP I see someone playing on the train to work has Liberty Stories plugged in).

I've got a PSP and I can honestly say that GTA: LCS doesn't interest me that much, even though I loved the games for PS2.

heidern

That's nice, 110,000 handhelds sold in the week. More than even Japan is getting right now.

There 's a clear trend with the DS and Game Boy of going up steadily week on week. The psp also made a comeback this week. There's big back in stock signs everywhere and everyone is pushing the Giga pack. Obviously there's a fair bit of pent up demand and the new hardwware pack launch, so it will be interesting to see if sales level out much lower than they are or if word is gonna get round a bit slower about stocks and sales will maintain this weeks strength. Next week will be a good battle with Mario Kart hitting this Friday.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ignatz Mouse said:
Well, unless there was some new big-name game release, there goes the theory that the PSP shortage is fake and the the sales are merely trending with software releases.

Yeah and there's a certain person missing from this thread....

Izzy

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:

But it was a nice theory... :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
DarienA said:
Yeah and there's a certain person missing from this thread....
no, I'm here.

nice numbers, and yes the shortage was real, though I never said the shortage wasn't real per se.. just wondered (which this is no proof of etiher way) if it was manufactured or not.... and the PSP getting some of it's biggest numbers of the year definitely shows that absence made the heart grow fonder. and numbers trending with new game releases is still suspicious in that it shows sony was shipping to meet game releases (the question being if they were shipping all they could or just upping it for game releases).

so now the question remains.. is stock out at these stores? will momentum remain? or have the 30-40K people who haven't been able to get their units for the past many weeks finally gotten them? tune in next week. ;)

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
th012803779.jpg

Bigfonzie

The GBA line still has legs! everywhere in the world, thats the real success story for Nintendo, that cow has been great to them, profit on every unit sold, games cheap to make with shovelware and big seller titles.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
borghe said:
no, I'm here.

nice numbers, and yes the shortage was real, though I never said the shortage wasn't real per se.. just wondered (which this is no proof of etiher way) if it was manufactured or not.... and the PSP getting some of it's biggest numbers of the year definitely shows that absence made the heart grow fonder. and numbers trending with new game releases is still suspicious in that it shows sony was shipping to meet game releases (the question being if they were shipping all they could or just upping it for game releases).

<sigh>

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well I think we can all agree that "the 3rd pillar" was a very viable strategy by now can't we?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Xrenity said:
Is Kart going to do something about the DS stock?

I do guess so.

probably. UK sales are fast becomming quite interesting.

borghe

DarienA said:
sigh all you want, but the fact remains that EVERYWHERE else in the world the PSP was doing 20-40K per week WITH regular shipments, yet in the UK they could only get out 12K per week????? and you actually believe sony is physically capable of only making 12K per week in the UK but nowhere else, considering they were doing around 100K per week before launch?

while it is to each their own whether you decide to agree with me or not, to not question any of this and just say "well that must be all sony was able to do" is pretty naive. but again, to each their own.

borghe

clearacell said:
The Nintendog effect was short-lived :p. Moving on to "the Mario Kart effect" I guess.
umm.. DS sales are flat (from being up).. AND nothing was released. nintendogs is certainly still in effect.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Gaybrush Threepio said:

what were the numbers the week before last?

donny2112

For continuity from the other thread, (thanks to lochnesssnowman, Frankfurter, and, of course, Gaybrush Threepio)

Over the past 6 weeks,

DS:

GBA

PSP:

Edit:
Guessing on dates ...

Week 1: Oct 9-15
Week 2: Oct 16-22
Week 3: Oct 23-29
Week 4: Oct 30-Nov 5
Week 5: Nov 6-12
Week 6: Nov 13-19

I expect all the systems to go up-- it's near Christmas now.

I'm sure the PSP numbers would have trended upward if not for the shortage, conspiracy theories aside.

borghe

Ignatz Mouse said:
If this were a manufactured shortage, why wouldn't Sony have shipped more units the week of GTA's launch?
they did. the GTA launch week was the one of the highest weeks during the shortage IIRC.

I also find it miraculous that sony was able to "fix" this hype-creating-shortage the week before the holiday shopping season started. it's a christmas miracle.. or something like that.

You suggest that decided to ship out 60K units this week, and yet for some reason didn't ship out that many the week of GTAs launch. That's the "more" I am referring. If they really could have, as you suggest, why wouldn't they have?

6304708793.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

borghe

Ignatz Mouse said:
You suggest that decided to ship out 60K units this week, and yet for some reason didn't ship out that many the week of GTAs launch. That's the "more" I am referring. If they really could have, as you suggest, why wouldn't they have?
the same reason companies create shortages to begin with (look at the x360 launch for another example). to create hype. by starving gamers of PSPs from a little after launch to just before the holidays Sony has assured themselves of plenty of press time, hype, and awareness going into the holiday season. any sales they lost during this time will be more than made up for from the effects of "free marketing" during the shopping season.

"I know! Let's artifically limit our sales the week our most-anticpated piece of software comes out! Brilliant!"

Of course, you also suggested that sales wouldn't go up with more supply, and that Sony was limiting units to about what they expected to sell. I guess that's out the window with the past week's sales.

Borghe, you're so slippery you make eels look like velcro.

Look up Occam's Razor when you get a chance.

Top Bottom