• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the interests of being fair....

Gaybrush Threepio said:
To be fair we're still beating PSP on installed base in the UK with just DS, and if you add GBA in we still own the handheld market. The fact is that DS Nintendogs bundles are almost out of stock now, and PSP is in free supply - we could have sold 80,000 DS units this week if consumer demand was able to be fulfilled. Next week Mario Kart DS is coming in with the hardware bundle, and we should have SOME replenishment of Nintendogs bundles.......so should be an interesting week!!

I find this particular post MASSIVELY ironic. Thanks for the numbers.

Culex

Banned
sonycowboy said:
I find this particular post MASSIVELY ironic. Thanks for the numbers.

Well, it's ironic compare to what others have said, not Gaybrush Threepio.

Next week should be great in the UK. The Mario Kart bundle is going to wreak havoc with hardware numbers.

Culex said:

Next week should be great in the UK. The Mario Kart bundle is going to wreak havoc with hardware numbers.

True,

But then again, he's never offered a single comment on the UK PSP shortage, so his justification seems a bit self serving, but I agree that he's not one of the crowers that have had such fun with the PSP vs DS battle.

Nintendo should be proud of how well they are doing. And thanking Sony profusely for fudging the European launch so badly.

ziran

Gaybrush Threepio said:
.....here are the figures for the UK consoles last week:

DS: 44,000 (stock very low in retail now)
SP/Micro: 34,000
PSP: 62,000 (Giga pack out - back in stock)

Mario Kart bundle in on Friday though..... :)
so the ds has sold 200k in the uk in 6 weeks!!!

i am continually stunned by the ds's amazing performance in the uk. i certainly expected the psp to do well everywhere on the strength of its releases and the playstation name. in fact no matter what nintendo did, even if they released like for like, the psp would've sold well. however, to see the ds sell so well because of innovation, regardless of it being a generation behind in graphics, is just incredible, and great, to see! :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
But then again, he's never offered a single comment on the UK PSP shortage, so his justification seems a bit self serving, but I agree that he's not one of the crowers that have had such fun with the PSP vs DS battle.

I think its quite refreshing to see somebody in europe that is pro nintendo, especially since he actually works there. It's good to get nintendo news from Europe/UK, because it really used to seem like they didn't give a shit about pal in general. It's also very interesting to see Nintendo doing so well in "sonyland"

Keep the posts coming GT!

Beowvlf

Banned
jman2050 said:
Wonder if Heian will claim the numbers are fake now.
I still don't believe these numbers for a second. It doesn't matter who's leading who. You can believe them, along with others, that is your choice. I however still do not.

jman2050

Heian-kyo said:
I still don't believe these numbers for a second. It doesn't matter who's leading who. You can believe them, along with others, that is your choice. I however still do not.

Wow

Ouch - hey if that's what you think Mr. Helan I can always stop posting the numbers.....but perhaps if you'd like to explain why you don't believe me, you could give me a call and we can discuss?

Izzy

Banned
Heian-kyo said:

The numbers are accurate. I don't think PSP is in free supply, though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Heian-kyo said:

huh? what is it you disagree with?

hey if that's what you think Mr. Helan I can always stop posting the numbers

no, damnit, it's the only region I'm really interested in, since actually affects me :(

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Heian-kyo said:
Gaybrush Threepio said:
Ouch - hey if that's what you think Mr. Helan I can always stop posting the numbers.....but perhaps if you'd like to explain why you don't believe me, you could give me a call and we can discuss?
Walter.gif
waltercar.gif

"Do you see what happens, Larry? Do you see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass!"

Mrbob

ziran said:
QFT

it's really interesting the psp's success hasn't affected the ds's sales. in fact the ds actually sold more this week than last week!

Two different markets.

Perhaps Sony and Nintendo were right when they said the two systems aren't directly competing with each other. The console industry can support more than one platform. Why can't the portable industry? If you think about it, the people buying Nintendogs aren't the same ones buying GTA.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Mrbob said:
Two different markets.

Perhaps Sony and Nintendo were right when they said the two systems aren't directly competing with each other. The console industry can support more than one platform. Why can't the portable industry?
to be correct, the console industry can support more than one platform, ALL of which are directly competing with each other (except for Rev next-gen). I have always agreed.. PSP and DS are both appealing for entirely different reasons. The same way Rev and PS2/X360 will both be appealing for entirely different reasons. Nintendo has found their market. They just have to leverage it to not appear as "also-rans" in the console market next-gen, just as they have in the handheld market.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Mrbob said:
Two different markets.

Perhaps Sony and Nintendo were right when they said the two systems aren't directly competing with each other. The console industry can support more than one platform. Why can't the portable industry? If you think about it, the people buying Nintendogs aren't the same ones buying GTA.
Wait??

Your believe that these two machines are in different markets because the titles are so vastly different? Of course the industry can support two different platforms, but I don't see how this adds to your theory that they are in different markets. I think you might want to change your argument.

Alcibiades

How do we even know if these numbers are true?

Ever since I've seen the good DS numbers I've doubted where these come from.

Who even tracks UK numbers, and why isn't there ever news stories that contain number that back these up?

Izzy

Banned
Culex said:

Probably - but why are there no numbers yet?

Dalthien

Hey Gaybrush
- I really hope you didn't let Heian-kyo's ignorant comments cause you to stop posting the numbers. Seriously, every time anyone posts any numbers which don't show the PSP steamrolling the competition, he tries like hell to come up with all kinds of rationalizations to convince himself that the poster is lying - regardless of the reputation or trustworthiness of the poster. He has done it to both Sonycowboy and yourself, and not just with respect to the UK numbers that you've posted. He has a couple of 'classic' moments with several NPD numbers in the past as well.

In this thread starting on page 3, he absolutely insists that the DS numbers for August must have been lower than people were saying, even though Sonycowboy confirmed the general DS range earlier.

Then yet again, a month later, in this thread starting on page 9, he once more disputes the reported PSP numbers (even though Gamepot & other publications, along with Sonycowboy again) had let the general range again be known. He pulled out one of his 'magical' analyses again to show that the PSP numbers should actually be above 200,000 for the month, even though it was actually below 150,000. I fully expect him to try to 'prove' that the PSP numbers are wrong again for October if they are ever revealed and shown to be below the DS numbers for the month. And when it was finally shown in each case that the posters were correct, there were no apologies from Heian-kyo for his attempts to discredit a long-time respected GAF poster, or even an acknowledgement that his 'inventive' analyses had been flawed.

In any case, many of us here really appreciate your efforts to provide the handheld numbers to us - regardless of whether or not the PSP or DS sold more. It gives us a view into the UK sales which we didn't have before, and it would be especially unfortunate to lose your postings as the holiday season approaches.

Top Bottom