• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Independence Day:Resurgence|SPOILER THREAD|Today we celebrate our idenpendendneys day

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
Some of the jokes were so forced.

"There's a tall, dangly looking guy waving at us"
"That must be my David"

I just...I just expected something better. Take out Goldblum and Spiner, and ID4 was basically a high-budget Young Adult movie.

Pendas

Banned
As a lover of bad movies, I always laugh when someone says a movie such as this is one of the worst movies they have ever seen. Such hyperbole! Until you've watched something like Witchcraft 13: Blood of the Chosen, you have no idea what a truly bad movie is.

There's a big difference between a bad straight to DVD film...

and a bad 165 million dollar summer blockbuster with A list actors, directors, and writers. You hold people with more experience and paychecks to a higher standard.

Machine

and a bad 165 million dollar summer blockbuster with A list actors, directors, and writers. You hold people with more experience and paychecks to a higher standard.

But that's not the argument here. You have people saying in threads like this and Batman v Superman that it is literally the worst movie they have ever seen. There are never qualifiers like it's the worst big budget movie they've ever seen. It's like they have only ever seen five movies in their lives or they are some kind of aesthete that never stoops to going to a movie made for the masses except for this one-time mistake in judgment.

Koyuga

This movie was REALLY REALLY BAD....

Did I emphasis Really enough?

Where to begin? I don't feel like typing alot because this movie literally does not deserve the effort or energy.

-It felt like a movie from the past but with today's technology/effects/green screen.
Primarily the script. It's as if it's a movie that ignored the evolution of what movies have become today and instead....decided to be a real BY THE NUMBERS with every hollywood trope you can think of.

-Literally 90% of the jokes fall flat because they are predictable, corny, bad timing, or just plain stupid.

-The acting was ATROCIOUS except for Jeff Goldbloom. He is literally the only actor in this movie worth a damn. Everyone else is either bad, or laughably bad.

-geezus the dialogue in this script.......it's literally the worst thing ever.

-a shit ton of plot holes but you know, I'm willing to give plot holes a pass with anything futuristic/sci-fi/aliens/summer blockbuster.....but....They couldn't get anything else right so this doesn't get a pass.

I'd say the Only positives of this movie is the "spectacle" of some of the action and destruction, and Jeff Goldbloom, and the fact there are 3 acts. I mean, with how bad the movie is, the fact that it actually has a start a middle and an end is an achievement.

This movie literally makes Batman vs Superman seem like a masterpeice.

Do not waste your time or money on this turd. if you haven't seen it and are lurking in this thread.

I hope this movie dies a fast but horrible death at the box offices so that Hollywood knows that we won't accept shit shows like this.

This post is really selling me on the movie.

Just saw it. I really wish they could make one of these but smarter. I mean, I've seen some dumb shit in my time, but this really took the cake. To make matters worse, they somehow feel the need to keep up this incredible pace. I don't think there was a shot or a conversation in there that lasted for longer than a second or two. I thought the movie was going to choke. Man, give it some room to breathe :-/.

It's a good popcorn movie, but it felt like it was over as quickly as it began. After reading Crucible, I find that the characters haven't developed at all since then. I think the worst plot point is Jasmine dying. After Jake and Dylan talk about it, I completely forgot about it. There's no real weight to it. Since Julius didn't run over the queen, his presence feels completely unnecessary. Why wasn't the ship dragged into the laser with all the water rushing into the hole?

Yeah, it's a rental at best.

Sephzilla

Just got back from the movie. The first movie is definitely better but I still had fun with this one. The only major issues I have are Jasmine dying after a glorified cameo, her death having rather little weight to it, and President Whitmore sorta having a pointless death. Beyond that the pacing of the movie is interesting mostly because it never let's off the gas pedal. The original movie actually took a lot good amount of time to breathe and let it's characters grow.

Overall: Probably a C or C+ grade. (I'd give the original an A- or B+)

Oh, the lack of Will Smith was REALLY felt though

Elitist1945

Would Will Smith really have helped this movie much, though? The writing was just atrocious, not even in a good cheesy way either.

EBE

a few thing i believe would have improved the film

needed to cut the main pretty boy actor and just have it be about smith's son and the president's daughter
remove the deep sea salvage subplot
ditch the 'they need our molten core' motivation for the aliens--the white destiny orb is motivation enough
ax goldblum's father's subplot with the children
spend a bit more time inside the alien ship, developing their background and story
expand on the guerrilla war in africa thus giving the warlord guy some reason to be in the film

anyway, it was fun i guess. the first film is superior in my opinion

ditch the 'they need our molten core' motivation for the aliens--the white destiny orb is motivation enough

I dunno. That's why the aliens came in '96. The Harvester really came to finish the job. The Sphere was just something they found out about while they were here.

Now that I think about it, if there was one specific ship sent to drill to the core in '96, what was the point of the mothership? Why wasn't it drilling?

GhaleonEB

I dunno. That's why the aliens came in '96. The Harvester really came to finish the job. The Sphere was just something they found out about while they were here.

Now that I think about it, if there was one specific ship sent to drill to the core in '96, what was the point of the mothership? Why wasn't it drilling?

It was a retcon, but not a very well thought out one. In the first film they were just there to conquer worlds for their own, which seemed like enough of a reason for invasion to me. Coming back to finish the job, but with a more overwhelming force to ensure victory, only to be thwarted by the last of their ancient, nearly defeated enemy (Orbie) would have worked, IMO.

As a lover of bad movies, I always laugh when someone says a movie such as this is one of the worst movies they have ever seen. Such hyperbole! Until you've watched something like Witchcraft 13: Blood of the Chosen, you have no idea what a truly bad movie is.

I've watched The room and Troll 2.

I'll take low budget funny bad over high budget not funny/corny/boring waste of my time ANYTIME.

Especially considering the movie that predates this is a Classic.

Fucking this.

Hey didn't they get a few thousand feet from the molten core??? Wouldn't that be like bad even if they didn't finish?

Of course, but based on the rest of the movie, this is the least of its problems.

EBE

It was a retcon, but not a very well thought out one. In the first film they were just there to conquer worlds for their own, which seemed like enough of a reason for invasion to me. Coming back to finish the job, but with a more overwhelming force to ensure victory, only to be thwarted by the last of their ancient, nearly defeated enemy (Orbie) would have worked, IMO.

this is what i was thinking. the retcon just didnt work. it was only there to add a ticking timebomb element to the drama, which was apocalyptic enough without it

legacyzero

Banned

Not exactly accurate. In the lab scene, The President mentions how they're "Like locusts". They go from planet to planet, taking their resources, and moving on.

They just never went into detail about what and how. I see the retcon as valid, It's just not stable on the idea that they were after the core.

Shouta

Not exactly accurate. In the lab scene, The President mentions how they're "Like locusts". They go from planet to planet, taking their resources, and moving on.

They just never went into detail about what and how. I see the retcon as valid, It's just not stable on the idea that they were after the core.

Yep. It's actually funny that most folks don't remember this from the first movie. It was very clear that they were after the resources on the planet but we simply didn't know what resources they wanted. So I don't really consider it a retcon at all.

DeathyBoy

Banned
a few thing i believe would have improved the film

needed to cut the main pretty boy actor and just have it be about smith's son and the president's daughter
remove the deep sea salvage subplot
ax goldblum's father's subplot with the children
spend a bit more time inside the alien ship, developing their background and story
expand on the guerrilla war in africa thus giving the warlord guy some reason to be in the film

anyway, it was fun i guess. the first film is superior in my opinion

No way do you axe that subplot with the kids.

Solely because the rest of the film has NO consequences for the average person. That subplot is the only one putting across actual loss. I mean, Hillier's Mum dies and the film spends fuck all time with him - the teenage girl driving the car having a breakdown is the only time the film conveys the stakes of what's going on from a regular persons POV.

Krejlooc

Banned

I am also an aficionado of terrible movies, I've seen stuff like Abraxas. Those are movies so terrible that you go to see them for their terribleness. No, ID42 isn't the worst movie I've ever seen. But it's annoyingly ho-hum.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I am also an aficionado of terrible movies, I've seen stuff like Abraxas. Those are movies so terrible that you go to see them for their terribleness. No, ID42 isn't the worst movie I've ever seen. But it's annoyingly ho-hum.

With stuff like BvS or ID:R there's always one redeeming factor at least. Whether it's the opening of BvS or Brent Spiner in ID:R. The truly bad stuff (like George Anton's Romeo & Juliet) has NO redeeming features whatsoever.

No way do you axe that subplot with the kids.

Solely because the rest of the film has NO consequences for the average person. That subplot is the only one putting across actual loss. I mean, Hillier's Mum dies and the film spends fuck all time with him - the teenage girl driving the car having a breakdown is the only time the film conveys the stakes of what's going on from a regular persons POV.

Yeah. I have to agree with this. Someone was asking me for my impressions yesterday and one of my big gripes is that no one seems really all that afraid. That problem stems from the fact that we spend most of our time with trained military personal and scientists in a bunker who have directly dealt with this before. We see very little of how the mass destruction affects average people.

Just watched this few days ago and it's exactly what I expected it to be: a forgettable summer blockbuster. This movies needs Will Smith badly. The Jake character is awful. The movies should be fine without him. The comedy felt flat and forced. However I like the action and....for fuck sake there was a mother alien chasing down a school bus! It's so stupid it's so good.

Sephzilla

*Sigh*

The more I let the movie sink in the less I like about it. Kind of wish Whitmore and David spent more time on screen together. Will Smith was desperately needed because the new characters/actors introduced were painfully lacking in charisma (even Little Thor). The Dylan Hiller character was so obviously written to be Will Smith's character, and Jessie Usher simply doesn't have the swag that Smith had.

The Queen bit was pretty fucking cool though. Even though I didn't like that it was basically a video game bullet sponge.

Whew, what a wet fart of a sequel that was.

This was one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen. OK, original Independence Day is dumb as hell, sure, but it works in that setting. Resurgence just goes way too far. Every single scene is just perplexing to the max. Why did the aliens see the President's speech when receiving the distress beacon. How did the hauling ship not break when lifting a humongous cannon. Why did they just blindly attack the sphere when it appeared. Why did they eradicate the aliens almost worldwide... and left Africa to fight them for a decade? How did nobody notice aliens drilled a huuuge hole in the ground. Why did the queen leave for the sphere herself? Why when protecting the queen the alien ships did not, well, protect the queen but kept on encircling her as she was gunned down? Why wasn't the excavator's ship sucked into the whirlpool after drilling stopped? Why was the entire presidential line of succession all flown into one place and why was Fichtner immediately declared new president?

...and so on and so on, it's just a tip of the iceberg, nothing makes sense. There are some decent, interesting ideas, as GhaleonEB said, but they are butchered, totally butchered.

The new cast is abysmal. The most uninteresting set of characters I've seen in a while.

There is no tension at all. The stakes should be high, the planet's core is at stake, but it feels far less threatening than the invasion in the original Independence Day. The aliens do nothing for the majority of the movie. The pacing is horrible.

I felt... nothing. It's mind-boggingly stupid and uninteresting. Still, I'd love to see the sequel to see how they would handle the ludicrous notion of humanity leading the resistance against the Harvesters because of reasons, but I'm aware it's never happening.

I guess I liked the Alien Queen, that was handled decently. Beyond that, it's a 3 out of 10 movie AT BEST.

Yep.

I'm jealous. I wish I could have turned my brain off. :(

I enjoy brainless popcorn flicks - that's what I was hoping for when I went - but I thought this fell short of that. To me a good popcorn movie is one that knows what it is and rolls with it. ID: Resurgence had a level of dumb to it that kept startling me out of the action stupor I was hoping to be in. As CassSept touched on, I found myself thinking, "Wait, that's stupid," at nearly every scene. The aliens plan didn't make sense, what the humans did in response didn't make sense.

Thinking back over it, I'm realizing I didn't enjoy a single action scene in the entire film. The falling gun/rescue scene at the beginning was perfunctory and tension free. The ship landing on a good swath of earth somehow has less visual impact and none of the build up, tension or spectacle of the initial attack in ID4. When they do stage an action scene well, we get stuff like the school bus full of kids driving around in the open under the alien queen's feet. I wanted to switch my brain off, but it kept rebelling.

It made me realize the casting director was the real hero of ID4. Can you imagine that movie had with the cast of newcomers this movie had? Swap out Will Smith for Not Will Smith in Resurgence, or Bill Pullman for...whoever the President was in this. Replace Goldblum with his female counterpart in Resurgence, and Hemsworth for Randy Freaking Quaid. Those characters won us over, they had us pulling for them, they elevated material that had no business working as well as it did. (Goldblum and Pullman do it again in Resurgence, to their credit.) Randy flying off into the big alien dong in ID4 was that nexus between cheesy and sincere that this movie never landed.

I never once found myself rooting for anyone, like I was in ID4. Stuff just happened for convoluted reasons while characters I didn't care about went through the motions of an action movie with sub-par action staging. I really wish I could have shut my brain off, and I'm actually envious of those who were able to.

Yep.

The problem isn't that this movie isn't good. It's that it's so, so bad, that it's actively offensive and insulting to the audience in its sheer stupidity, nearly every single minute, and makes it so difficult to enjoy any scene, really.

I don't think a single character showed a bead of sweat on their faces. Nobody seemed to give a fuck, and jokes were ALWAYS being cracked, which contributed in the movie having zero tension. it also felt so disconnected, jumping from set piece of set piece, unlike the first which seemed like a cohesive plot and world.

I swear Dylan Hiller had six lines total in this movie. I just don't remember him saying or doing that much. Completely missed him. I liked Liam Hemsworth's character but there wasn't much to him either. They should have given Usher a bit more to do. The new cast was sort of sent out there to die.

Jeffrey

With how much it seems like this movie cribs from macross and yamato etc, sure would be nice if them fighter jets could have had a humanoid form eh? :)

Sephzilla

With how much it seems like this movie cribs from macross and yamato etc, sure would be nice if them fighter jets could have had a humanoid form eh? :)

Considering they now know Queens are small-Kaiju tier, that could be a possibility if we ever see a third movie

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just got back from seeing it.

That...Really wasn't good. The "jokes" were terrible, the story was nonsensical, I've no idea why they're setting up another sequel.

Not for me, and I'm the kind of guy who enjoys mindless popcorn flicks, I loved Pixels last year, for example.

DonMigs85

The movie lacked tense scenes like the alien autopsy, helicopter trying to communicate with lights, Russell's missile getting jammed, etc. I think that's my main gripe. And the pace was really way too quick. They also cut nifty scenes from the novelisation

I was expecting bad, but that was Die Hard 5 bad. Will Smith is a goddamn genius for staying far far away from this turd.

And what the fuck was up with Vivica A. Fox? What an amazingly unnecessary cameo.

This might not even be worth a Red Box rental.

FaintDeftone

My wife took me to see this on my birthday this weekend. We both walked out basically hating it. It was strangely boring, had terrible performances, and the dialog was cringe-worthy throughout the entire thing. Just a huge disappointment.

Should have went with The Shallows instead...

GhaleonEB

I understand that, it's what I meant, but I wasn't clear. Take the planet for their own means they can take what they want from it. I still think the retcon of the drilling ship we never saw was poorly thought out and ultimately undermined the story.

I was expecting bad, but that was Die Hard 5 bad. Will Smith is a goddamn genius for staying far far away from this turd.

And what the fuck was up with Vivica A. Fox? What an amazingly unnecessary cameo.

This might not even be worth a Red Box rental.

Vivica A. Fox's death was meant to give her son a personal vendetta to fight for. Too bad they never doing anything with it.

Sephzilla

It almost feels like Judd Hirsch and Vivica A. Fox's roles got reversed or something. It makes way more sense for Fox's character to be the one driving across the country with survivors considering that's what she did in the first movie, Hirsch's character just coasted with Goldblum the whole first movie.

Interfectum

It honestly doesn't get much worse than this movie. When the credits rolled I was left questioning why they resurrected a 20 year old movie for this. It brought nothing to the table and retroactively hurt an already cheesy as fuck movie.

This movie was so bad it's hard for me to pinpoint or call out the most egregious examples. It's all bad. Even Goldblum phoned this shit in.

Interfectum

Yep. It's actually funny that most folks don't remember this from the first movie. It was very clear that they were after the resources on the planet but we simply didn't know what resources they wanted. So I don't really consider it a retcon at all.

It's totally a retcon. Why would they have an invading force land on earth if they were burning through the crust in Africa? Their strategy makes zero sense if all they were doing was burning through to the core.

The first movie and the locust reference was most likely a political statement on how us humans treat our environment and move on to the next piece of land to plunder. The aliens were just a hyper-realized version of that. They were going to set up a colony on Earth after they wiped us out, use our resources and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom