• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [April] Now Voting - Post 542!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice :) Looking forward to play it later.
Here are some more screenshots, showing off what to expect post-KS
MTS-Attract-Screens-More-Weapons.png
MTS-Attract-Screens-More-Control.png

MTS-Attract-Screens-More-Bosses.png
MTS-Attract-Screens-More-Banter.png

MTS-Attract-Screens-More-Achievements.png
MTS-Attract-Screens-More-Levels.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh btw Baddy, did you get to check out more of Monaco? Follow up impressions?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Friction this month has a great soundtrack (I might review the musician for my music blog) is kinda awesome and shit hard. Will probably put some more impressions with a non-commentary YT video up later.

Oh btw Baddy, did you get to check out more of Monaco? Follow up impressions?
Actually I did. Played a few more missions, and I decided to pass on the game for now. I definitely see where you and the others were coming from. I like the art style, but the gameplay itself did quickly become pretty bland and shallow, even with the different characters and their abilities. Those $3 will be better spent toward Fract or Trials Fusion

Toma

00BY11T.png

Made a video without commentary for Friction (free, pwyw):
http://youtu.be/Id19m4Ab3gk
Its a very small game with only a few enemies, tracks and a single boss (that I couldnt defeat yet), but it was fun to play due to its difficulty, interesting game mechanic and soundtrack. I am a sucker for good soundtracks, so I gotta admit that I played it for longer than I might have if I didnt enjoy the house music as much as I did. The music is also free and can be grabbed here: http://tikalshine.bandcamp.com/album/phase-ii

Anyway, the gameplay revolves around powering up by staying close to bullets and enemies, and then using that power charge to attack once and kill as many enemies as possible. This is very simple and still lends itself to some interesting game dynamics, where I was lining up for bullets horizontally because they are the easiest to follow or when I found out that you can hit an enemy right after he shot a bullet and then use his last bullet to powerup for the next enemy. Don't expect any genre changing experience here, but it came nicely together as a bite sized shmup that I enjoyed more than I thought I would.

And its ...harder than it seems.

Gang Beasts:

Cute MP brawler, but still missing a lot of content, and I am not sure that they physics and control scheme are polished enough to be a really great game in the genre, but I can see this being a really fun party game if they add more wacky maps, maybe a random party mode (different maps but keeping the score) and some more polish.

Museum of Parallel Arts:
Played it with my girlfriend, who liked the idea but she thinks the execution wasnt perfectly spot on, maybe something of a dissonance between the pictures to be rated and the pictures to choose from. She found it interesting to realize how different people can judge a certain picture (for example a boy in the dark night, which she "rated" with a sad card for the emotion, while the card I chose was a fire card, reflecting the need of the boy). The game sort of aims at couples/friends in my opinion for a short play session (similar to The Yawhg), but maybe the additional barrier of FPS control somehow worked against the experience since the ones interested in trying it might not be too familiar with those controls. However, she appreciated the "Illusion" of actually being inside of a gallery instead of only participating in a slide show. Its not something to play a lot in one go, but very interesting to see how people think differently, maybe even someone you think you know well and how this game uncovers the different line of thinkings. Its also lovely how many different type of pictures they chose for this, game screenshots, fan artworks, fun pictures, classical paintings..

Recommended to try with someone you think you know well :p

>----------< Highly Recommended >----------<
1. Broken Robot Love
>----------< Recommended >----------<
2. Capsule
3. Museum of Parallel Arts
4. Fingerbones
5. Catcher
6. Friction
>----------< Decent-ish >----------<
7. Corridors of Uncertainty
8. Gang Beasts
9. David
10. Aerobat
>----------< Bleh >----------<
11. Beautiful Prison

daydream

Banned
Thanks for the Friction video, Toma. Soundtrack is indeed pretty great.

What didn't you like about the physics of Gang Beasts btw? I think the game is pretty terrible in SP from what I've seen, but the same physics seem to work fantastically for MP (I read a post somewhere that said Gang Beasts is the best simulation of drunk people - totally spot-on in my mind) .

Toma

Thanks for the Friction video, Toma. Soundtrack is indeed pretty great.

What didn't you like about the physics of Gang Beasts btw? I think the game is pretty terrible in SP from what I've seen, but the same physics seem to work fantastically for MP (I read a post somewhere that said Gang Beasts is the best simulation of drunk people - totally spot-on in my mind) .

That seems like an apt comparison, yeah, haha. I just found the whole control and how the bodies react to it kinda weird, but I was especially annoyed at the way you need to grab/pull things and cant really throw them. It just seems a tad too sluggish for me, but as I said, its still probably a great party game eventually.

daydream

Banned
That seems like an apt comparison, yeah, haha. I just found the whole control and how the bodies react to it kinda weird, but I was especially annoyed at the way you need to grab/pull things and cant really throw them. It just seems a tad too sluggish for me, but as I said, its still probably a great party game eventually.

Ah yes, that makes sense. The throwing isn't quite there, yet.

Frict was a very good game indeed.

Frog Fractions is the sequel, right?

I enjoyed those games. But I did have a sense of deja vu while playing them. It's almost like they were all the same game with similar names

Yeah, I dunno. Lift smelled like a ripoff to me.

daydream

Banned
Mighty Tactical Shooter

Alright, I played it. It's basically Gradius/[insert side scrolling shooter of your choice] mixed with an RTS weapon + movement system, so everything but Bangai-O. The tutorial in this is non-existent, I wonder if that is because it's a stage demo and there would normally be a guy standing next to you whom you could ask questions, but weapons, energy bar, repair system, fabrication, loadout screen, etc. aren't really explained. But even without grasping the nuances it's totally playable, up to a certain point at least. I failed three times to beat the boss and I'm still not sure a) how to damage him (audiovisual feedback required!) b) how to avoid all the bullets. I didn't try a full-on repair strategy, maybe that would do it.

So, the question is, does this do more than the minimum that's necessary to mesh the two formulas - and I think it does. The weapon system is very interesting, changing the priority of production is a neat idea, the UI and all the text (which is very technologically oriented) feel very coherent. All that said, I'm unsure if I'd be interested to play a full game of this. The stop & go cycle is a bit boring, frankly.

Any reason to why? Now a more confusing name, Beyond Two Souls, Demons/Dark Souls. Path of Shadows was clearer that it's a stealth game.
Asked on Twitter
it's tied to the storyline.
I know I know.. it's really hard to choose a name for a game. We wanted a name both available and related to the story.
If they need a name that's "available", maybe Path of Shadows was used somewhere else, a trademark issue? Really liked that title

Oh, and seems like I jumped the gun a bit. Devs had the images on their site, but no official reveal yet. Was surprised I knew the new name

Toma

Asked on Twitter

If they need a name that's "available", maybe Path of Shadows was used somewhere else, a trademark issue? Really liked that title

Oh, and seems like I jumped the gun a bit. Devs had the images on their site, but no official reveal yet. Was surprised I knew the new name

Kinda weird considering "Path of Shadows" finds nothing else on Google other than the game.

Kinda weird considering "Path of Shadows" finds nothing else on Google other than the game.

A key struggle for indie games is obscurity. The more unique a name the better because google searches are a huge thing talked about in indie game marketing talks and conferences.

Twin Souls leads me to spiritual new age and soulmate relationship lol. Know that the new name isn't established yet. Path of Shadows, nearly the whole first page and images are about the game.

One immediate disadvantage, you can't use it to find out the source via google image search. And when you display it on a page by itself, it doesn't seem to loop which is the essence of a gif. Cool new tool, for sure.

Someone already write a Chrome extension to it play and loop in the page.

April Update Trailer

Broforce - $14.99 (PC, Mac)
ss_ad7be0831ee576da785a978793a367b8ea1b8a97.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/274190/

When evil threatens the world, the world calls on Broforce - an under-funded, over-powered paramilitary organization dealing exclusively in excessive force. Brace your loins with up to four players to run ‘n’ gun as dozens of different bros and eliminate the opposing terrorist forces that threaten our way of life. Unleash scores of unique weapons and set off incredible chain reactions of fire, napalm, and limbs in the name of freedom.

Subject 9 is the current IGS deal (35 hours left)
Last time I played it, the mix of weapons and powers and tech abilities were fun, but...
However while the powers are fun to use and present the player with numerous options, Subject 9 also suffers in other key areas. I felt the controls were sluggish and could use more refinement. Activating your ability wheel thankfully slows down time but leaves you motionless and vulnerable. Also at times the camera can be detrimental to success, due to enemies attacking from off-screen. I feel that with more control and camera improvements, the game could fulfill its full potential, because Subject 9's core mechanics are a lot of fun.
Haven't checked it out since, so I don't know if any changes or improvements were made

I guess everyone's playing Broforce?

Aerobat
I could see why the simplicity and mobile feel might turn people off, but personally I like Aerobat's simplicity. The game is definitely leaning more towards delivering frenetic visual spectacle than deep shmup gameplay, and in that regards, the catch-and-release mechanic works in its favor. The risk-vs-reward aspect is addicting IMO, and it's challenging to evade enemies and projectiles while skimming along the ground at high speed, watching for the perfect opening to fling yourself into the air and blast away. Yes, mechanically, it's shallow compared to other shumps, but I feel its other aspects make up for the simplified mechanics

Broken Robot Love
I discovered this game while searching for information on Skytorm for a Screenshot Saturday post, and was pleasantly surprised by how fun and inventive Broken Robot Love was. The create-a-box mechanic may seem simple, but between various barriers, hazards, switches, platformers, and other elements, the game is able to create a wealth of diverse puzzles that require both planning and quick platforming to complete. The nice pixel graphics don't hurt either.

Corridors of Uncertainity
Corridors of Uncertainty is a top-down arcade action roguelike inspired by game like Robotron, Hotline Miami,and Loaded. Set in sprawling procedurally generated maps, you guide your futuristic hero to the teleporter in the level, mowing down well-armed enemies and drones along the way. Between pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, and powers ranging from slow motion to a speed dash, you have a nice variety of weapons to use. For a pre-alpha, the CoU already feels fun to play; the shooting feels tight and satisfying, the powers are fun to use, the effect sand lighting quite impressive. The sci-fi style, destructible environments, and powers make the game stand out from other action roguelikes. Gameplay can get hectic, but conserving ammo and using your abilities allow you to overcome the most dangerous areas. The game is only in pre-alpha, with the developer planning on adding more weapons, abilities, enemies, upgrades, and just more content overall in the months to come.
---
1. Luftrausers
2. Escape Goat 2
3. Javel-ein
4. Catcher
5. Broken Robot Love
6. Umbragram
7. Aerobat
8. Corridors of Uncertainity
9. David.
10. Goat Simulator
11. Friction
12. Gang Beasts
13. Meltdown
14. Landslide McQueen

daydream

Banned
Still on the fence about Broforce for some reason, even though all the impressions I've read have been positive. Hm..

Toma

Still on the fence about Broforce for some reason, even though all the impressions I've read have been positive. Hm..

Isnt there a free version you can try?

daydream

Banned
Foursided Fantasy seems pretty great from a gameplay perspective, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the artstyle.

Speaking of sold, that Broforce demo is fantastic. Three things I took away from it: 1. You are your own worst enemy. 2. Super Crate Box-style unlock system 3. Area liberated = Landscape annihilated. More cunning than I thought. I think that sealed the deal.

Toma

Foursided Fantasy seems pretty great from a gameplay perspective, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the artstyle.

Speaking of sold, that Broforce demo is fantastic. Three things I took away from it: 1. You are your own worst enemy. 2. Super Crate Box-style unlock system 3. Area liberated = Landscape annihilated. More cunning than I thought. I think that sealed the deal.

Yep, would have surprised me if you wouldnt have ended up liking it.

@daydreaming - don't buy Noir Syndrome. It's going to be in the Groupees Retro Bundle next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2IcTPGNMxI

The other game I'd recommend from there is Another Perspective. I really enjoyed that game. Not sure about the others. LootCastle sounds interesting: instead of controlling your forces directly, you manipulate their skill trees

Acccent

Just a heads-up: French Cows just launched a whole new... business model, I guess. It's called the 'pass', and it's a 4&#8364; monthly subscription plan.

Gets you access to several small indie games, and to the forums where devs hang out and everyone can contribute ideas and feedback for the new games (which you'll also get at no extra cost if your subscription is still running, obviously). So it's meant to be a strong community or something. I can't vouch for the quality of all the games but I know some of them, at least, are pretty cool, and the devs do indeed participate a lot, show off what they're working on, and listen to suggestions regarding their next games; so that part of the initiative does work pretty well.

Toma

Just a heads-up: French Cows just launched a whole new... business model, I guess. It's called the 'pass', and it's a 4€ monthly subscription plan.

Gets you access to several small indie games, and to the forums where devs hang out and everyone can contribute ideas and feedback for the new games (which you'll also get at no extra cost if your subscription is still running, obviously). So it's meant to be a strong community or something. I can't vouch for the quality of all the games but I know some of them, at least, are pretty cool, and the devs do indeed participate a lot, show off what they're working on, and listen to suggestions regarding their next games; so that part of the initiative does work pretty well.

The queen of snakes was very good, but I am not sure yet how I feel about this. Will need to ponder that for a while.

Been playing a lot of XenoRaptor lately. Since I posted about it in the February thread, a bunch of content and improvements was added. Improved visuals, better optimized engine to allow more enemies and bullets onscreen, a new map with new enemies, new weapons and engine abilities, smarter AI, dynamic backgrounds, boss rush mode, revamped menu and map progression, increased boss size so they're even larger and more imposing, etc.

Been playing a lot of XenoRaptor lately. Since I posted about it in the February thread, a bunch of content and improvements was added. Improved visuals, better optimized engine to allow more enemies and bullets onscreen, a new map with new enemies, new weapons and engine abilities, smarter AI, dynamic backgrounds, boss rush mode, revamped menu and map progression, increased boss size so they're even larger and more imposing, etc.

This looks very fun. Need to check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom