• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [April] Now Voting - Post 542!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
I forgot, was that game supposed to get simultaneous releases for consoles/PC?

Hmm, let's see. I found this response from January (scroll down a bit). Looks like they're aiming for a simultaneous release, but for the moment, only PC/Mac/Linux are confirmed (for day 1). Haven't found anything more recent in their Twitter feed.

Edit: Ah, seems like Panda knows more! :eek: nm me then

Hmm, let's see. I found this response from January (scroll down a bit). Looks like they're aiming for a simultaneous release, but for the moment, only PC/Mac/Linux are confirmed (for day 1). Haven't found anything more recent in their Twitter feed.

Edit: Ah, seems like Panda knows more! :eek: nm me then

I remember reading an interview and they said it could be released simultaneously.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fract is coming April 22nd, now available to preorder ($13.49. 10% off)
New teaser trailer

Hey, Toma, saw you've been playing the beta. How long would you estimate the game is?

6 hours maybe if you dont get stuck? Its easy to be a bit stuck here and there though since the world is surprisingly large with quite a few different paths and puzzles.

But man am I looking forward to this.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
OP impressions, Gargantua:
YqxPO33.png

Kinda cute, but also way too simplistic. Feels a bit too much like a "First game"-style project that mostly rides on the commonly liked idea of fighting alone against giant monsters, but there just isnt much to it. You jump, you shoot, you kill. The movement and controls are also not quite optimal and so this ended up rather forgettable.

Icarus:

Interesting concept for a space exploration game, because it tasks you to collect ressources/colonize/build improvements against the incoming threat of the growing sun instead of other races/empires. Since its a rather small game, its also very simple regarding the actual mechanics, but its an interesting concept nonetheless. I am glad to see that he plans on expanding on this idea to see whether he can make a full game out of it.

Javel-ein

Fantastic execution of the "You only get one" theme in which... you only get one weapon and need to carefully plan your usage of it. I tried to throw it away out of the level and guess what happened: Nothing! No game over, but I didnt get it back either. So take care of it. The challenges and the from those challenges created situations and circumstances really come together surprisingly well for a game. It doesnt feel like a short game made for a game jam at all, and the level design and art design also come together very nicely to complement the simplistic game concept. Great, little game.

Iubes:

The dev describes this game as a god game x RTS crossover, in which you are tasked with guiding your population by building cities that will eventually be strong enough to obliterate the enemies inside a tube world. I havent played much of it yet, but its certainly charming. I couldnt judge yet how much this game actually offers in strategic fun because it was very easy so far, but there are quite a few buildings to built and strategic placement decisions to make, so I am at least curious to delve deeper into it. My biggest concern is that it doesnt have proper SP content, which means most "play against AI" matches will likely turn out similar once you have a decent grasp on the mechanics, but there is a MP match mode as well, which could be quite fun. Needs some more inspection, but just going from what I played, certainly interesting enough to recommend others to check it out themselves.

>----------< Highly Recommended >----------<
1. Broken Robot Love
2. Javel-ein
>----------< Recommended >----------<
3. Capsule
4. Museum of Parallel Arts
5. Iubes
6. Fingerbones
7. Catcher
8. Friction
>----------< Decent-ish >----------<
9. Corridors of Uncertainty
10. Icarus
11. Gang Beasts
12. David
13. Aerobat
14. Gargantua
>----------< Bleh >----------<
15. Beautiful Prison

daydream

Banned
Adult Swim Games is apparently publishing Rain World, an expanded version of Westerado (subtitle 'Double Barreled') and Oblitus.

First time we're hearing about a new Westerado version? Can't wait. Hope he fixes the buggy Flash version - or just puts it out for desktop.

Adult Swim Games is apparently publishing Rain World, an expanded version of Westerado (subtitle 'Double Barreled') and Oblitus.

First time we're hearing about a new Westerado version? Can't wait. Hope he fixes the buggy Flash version - or just puts it out for desktop.
YES!

I was hoping so much that Westerado would get an expanded version. I even emailed the devs asking if they were considering something like that. Awesome.

Hmm, Adult Swim + Rain World & Oblitus. Seems like they're expanding their library of published games. Those games are a far cry from their more over-the-top silly games

YES!

I was hoping so much that Westerado would get an expanded version. I even emailed the devs asking if they were considering something like that. Awesome.

Hmm, Adult Swim + Rain World & Oblitus. Seems like they're expanding their library of published games. Those games are a far cry from their more over-the-top silly games

I think the only over the top silly game they published on Steam is Jazzpunk.

Totally forgot Adult Swim published Volgarr and Soundodger, didn't know they published Jazzpunk. So maybe not so out of place for them.

They also published Super House of Dead Ninjas, Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe and Fist Puncher.

I find these indie publishers interesting, so far we have 3 "big" ones: Adult Swim Games, Devolver Digital and Chucklefish.

Toma

You guys are forgetting about Playism? Awww.

Adult Swim also reached out to the dev of Thief Story but the game is still early in development, so he didn't accept the offer
That's three games with TIGForum devlogs. I wonder if AS watches the forums there.

Copod
Copod is an action roguelite, where you control a small creature as it explores and survives a dangerous mysterious world. The controls are simple, with a rushing melee attack always available and variety of abilities to collect. From an electric shock to doubling your size and strength to leaving a noxious gas trail in your wake or firing different projectiles, there's a range of different abilities to use. Your goal is to find a flower in each level and then unite with a female mate, while collecting points, saving young copods to fight by your side, and fighting off the weird enemies that try to kill you. Copod reminds me of a top-down Fancy Skulls in a while: simply but charming visuals, varied abilities to use, and unusual enemies. Copod is playable and fun, but still pretty early and feels kind of empty at the moment.

Secret Formula
From the same developer as Corridors of Uncertainity, Secret Formula is a challenging precision platformer with some stealth elements. As a escape test subject, you must flee the lap and its security measure, using your vine-like grappling hook to evade cameras and missiles and lasers and acid. The stylish lightning, solid controls, challenging gameplay make Secret Formula a fun experience that doesn't overstay its welcome

Spidren
Spidren is like QWOP...if QWOP was an wave-based arachnid action game and you needed to use almost every button on your keyboard. The basic premise is that you control a spider in the middle of the screen as annoying little insects come in from both sides of the screen and attack. Wait to long and they'll tear your legs apart piece by piece. You must spear them with your legs and devour them to complete waves. All that is far easier said than done. Your many early attempts at controlling your spider's limbs will look more like it's having seizure, but overcome that learning curve and you'll be able to time killing blows and eat your prey with (relative) ease. The charming graphics do a lot to lessen some of frustration.
---
1. Luftrausers
2. Escape Goat 2
3. Javel-ein
4. Catcher
5. Secret Formula
6. Umbragram
7. David.
8. Goat Simulator
9. Copod
10. Spidren
11. Friction
12. Gang Beasts
13. Meltdown
14. Landslide McQueen

Toma

Current IndieGameStand deal 1849:
iiX9hmcukhE5L.gif

City management sim currently in Beta with a lot of promise but held back by its mobile focus regarding the UI, style and polish.

Still, I was just playing it for 2 hours, and despite having some issues the game also does quite a few things very right. Will post more (and a proper post for next month) about it later, but you can grab it for $1 on IGS now.

r3n4ud

Current IndieGameStand deal 1849:
iiX9hmcukhE5L.gif

City management sim currently in Beta with a lot of promise but held back by its mobile focus regarding the UI, style and polish.

Still, I was just playing it for 2 hours, and despite having some issues the game also does quite a few things very right. Will post more (and a proper post for next month) about it later, but you can grab it for $1 on IGS now.

Looks like an ant farm.

Burt

I wonder if publisher support means that Oblitus won't need to do a Kickstarter now
Anyway, some awesome screenshots from the Destructoid article

They'll probably still be Kickstarting. Adult Swim does provide options for funding, but they aren't nearly as favorable as what you get from the relatively "no strings attached" nature of a Kickstarter. Then again, I'm not familiar with the team outside of Ullman, and running a Kickstarter well with a single person can be a daunting task, if the people working with him are more freelancers/contractors than partners/collaborators.

Hope they do Kickstart, would love to back it.

They'll probably still be Kickstarting. Adult Swim does provide options for funding, but they aren't nearly as favorable as what you get from the relatively "no strings attached" nature of a Kickstarter. Then again, I'm not familiar with the team outside of Ullman, and running a Kickstarter well with a single person can be a daunting task, if the people working with him are more freelancers/contractors than partners/collaborators.

Hope they do Kickstart, would love to back it.
I asked on TIGForum. No more Kickstarter.
We're pretty happy not to have to do one. We were just about ready, but then they came along and we stopped.

Oh, and I only realized this a few minutes ago:

Early style/Current style
Much more refined, cleaner, painted compared to cartoonish. I really like it

Toma

Looks like an ant farm.

Yeah, lol. Since its still in Beta, I might throw the devs a mail with my issues/suggestions, but the ant farm is surprisingly fun. Compared to other games where I actually have sight over who goes where, its really more like an ant farm in that its more of a backdrop than useful information.

Still surprised at how good it is. A management sim with 50 resources (?) and an actual campaign is always a plus in my book. Too tired to write up more, impressions soonish.

r3n4ud

Yeah, lol. Since its still in Beta, I might throw the devs a mail with my issues/suggestions, but the ant farm is surprisingly fun. Compared to other games where I actually have sight over who goes where, its really more like an ant farm in that its more of a backdrop than useful information.

Still surprised at how good it is. A management sim with 50 resources (?) and an actual campaign is always a plus in my book. Too tired to write up more, impressions soonish.

Looking forward to your impressions. Picked up the game as well, since, well...you said to. In Toma We Trust ;)

Ok can't go wrong with that price. Got it. I'll check it out tomorrow but looks good. I actually greenlit this game.

So one of my favourite indie developers Misfits Attic recently put up a pitch video for Duskers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atIJZQjefh4

If you've been around here for a bit you might remember a while back they did a 'vote for what game we develop next' type deal which this game sorta joint won. Gotta admit I was hesitant to like the concept of Duskers at first, in its earlier previews it just sounded too vast in its own concept to ever develop into something interesting. However, I'm very pleased to have been proven wrong and from this preview it looks like it is coming together rather nicely. Worth keeping an eye on if strategy roguelikes appeal.

daydream

Banned
So one of my favourite indie developers Misfits Attic recently put up a pitch video for Duskers:

If you've been around here for a bit you might remember a while back they did a 'vote for what game we develop next' type deal which this game sorta joint won. Gotta admit I was hesitant to like the concept of Duskers at first, in its earlier previews it just sounded too vast in its own concept to ever develop into something interesting. However, I'm very pleased to have been proven wrong and from this preview it looks like it is coming together rather nicely. Worth keeping an eye on if strategy roguelikes appeal.

I remember that. Are they concurrently developing all three concepts they originally pitched?

Toma

While that sounds pretty cool, it might devolve into 2-3 worthwhile strategies that you are using over and over again, so its interesting to see how they'll counter that.

I remember that. Are they concurrently developing all three concepts they originally pitched?

Perhaps, they've been a little radio silence since that vote and this is the first major update of any of those games since then if I am correct. On the voting Last Shadow and Duskers received very similar numbers so I'm going to presume that they are likely focusing on them 2.

While that sounds pretty cool, it might devolve into 2-3 worthwhile strategies that you are using over and over again, so its interesting to see how they'll counter that.

Hopefully the breaking components will help with that problem. If they can throw in enough abilities to ensure that you can never really guarantee what your drones can do at any one time then that should stop any players being able to 100% rely on a very select section of strategies. Fingers crossed.

nofi

Javel-ein

Fantastic execution of the "You only get one" theme in which... you only get one weapon and need to carefully plan your usage of it. I tried to throw it away out of the level and guess what happened: Nothing! No game over, but I didnt get it back either. So take care of it. The challenges and the from those challenges created situations and circumstances really come together surprisingly well for a game. It doesnt feel like a short game made for a game jam at all, and the level design and art design also come together very nicely to complement the simplistic game concept. Great, little game.

Just played through this and it's great - really loved the idea and the visuals were wonderful.

Armin Ibrisagic, from Coffee Stain Studios, wrote a blogpost about free updates instead paid DLC for Indie developers. Some excerpts:

Things we learned about DLC from our previous games in the Sanctum series, and why we decided to go with completely free updates for Goat Simulator.

Our relationship with DLC at Coffee Stain has been quite rocky. For Sanctum 1, we initially decided to do tons of small DLCs where you could buy a tiny additional piece of content for $1, and we’d let players choose themselves what content they wanted to buy. That didn’t turn out great, after only a few months, we had a clustermess of 10 different DLCs, each priced at $1 each, new players had no idea what to buy, and just adding every single one to your Steam cart was a nightmare. For Sanctum 2, we decided to do a Season Pass with big expansions that added tons of more content. That was better than in Sanctum 1, but still not quite as good as we expected.

Since we don’t have a huge marketing budget, we have to rely on word of mouth to spread our games, and dedicated fans are far better at spreading awareness about your game than any paid ads. Finally, if you sold so few units that you can’t afford to invest money in free updates, then you probably shouldn’t do DLC either since you won’t have that many potential buyers.

If you release a free content update as a patch and alert people towards your new update, you’re targeting both your current user base, and also everyone else that doesn’t own the game to the fact that you’re actively updating your game for free. This is especially true if you’re lucky enough to be featured on the Steam main capsule - if your DLC is featured, your main target is your current user base, but if your free content update is featured on the main capsule, your target group is the entire Steam user base of 70 million users that haven’t bought your game yet. Terraria topped the Steam sales list when it released its huge 1.2 patch for free.

Link

I’m objectively stating that providing free updates can be the reason why someone on the fence ends up buying your game to support this type of game development. Having a ton of DLCs on the other hand, might prevent people from buying it on mere principle.

Free content updates FTW

Looks like they'll release Goat Simulator sales soon, from the comments.

Free content updates FTW

Looks like they'll release Goat Simulator sales soon, from the comments.
I hope they suck. Don't you know that people who buy Goat Sim are the ones destroying gaming, parasites on the industry who listen to Let's Play personalities like sheep?
(According to IGN comments and Steam forums)

Really it's hilarious. Obviously most of them are trolls but the rest, it's like they can't grasp the concept that games can be fun and stupid just for the sake of being fun and stupid. Or that people might have different opinions and tastes than them

Toma

I hope they suck. Don't you know that people who buy Goat Sim are the ones destroying gaming, parasites on the industry who listen to Let's Play personalities like sheep?

No way... I mean its obviously not a "classic" game in that sense, but how dense can a person be. Ugh, annoying.

Wait, the Sanctum people are the same folk that did Goat Simulator. Wow, small world. Glad to hear that the free dlc route is a viable one though for certain companies.

Really it's hilarious. Obviously most of them are trolls but the rest, it's like they can't grasp the concept that games can be fun and stupid just for the sake of being fun and stupid. Or that people might have different opinions and tastes than them

Even in the OT we got some similar responses. It's not like releasing a game only focused in being a physics sandbox could make all the other awesome games disappear.

New Sir, You Are Being Hunted patch and some big news:

Hello!

We’re pushing out an update with a bunch of small fixes and tweaks today, but really big news is that Sir’s single player mode will hit v1.0 on May 1st. This, therefore, is the final patch of our Early Access period. Oh yes, it’s the end of a long road.

There will still be a few things to come after v1.0, as well as ongoing fixes and support, including multiplayer (no, no date on that yet, we’ve still got a way to go!) and also a customisation patch that will allow you mess with the game generation in-menu, rather than just in the back-end XML files. But we’ll get to those later!

For now, the big message of this latest update is: help us bug hunt!

We need as many people as possible to pile in, find problems, share logfiles, and help us get this game into the best shape it can be. There’s a bunch of changes up today, including major performance improvements. Go and try it out!

Changes

- NEW – End sequence and credits. The closing voice-over and credit page now play before you get to your stats.

- NEW – Tooltips on all items, plus roll-over instructions for inventory slots.

- NEW – Fragment counter in inventory revamped to show fragment count per island, plus current location.

- NEW – State indicators for bleeding, trapped, and starving.

- Changed some textures and vegetation detail on Rural biome.

- Major optimisation pass, up to 30% performance increase on some machines.

Fixes

- Walters’ voice clips now no longer wait for each other to finish (so you don’t miss any!)

- Toy train can no longer fly into the sky on cliffs/slopes.

- Opening inventory or map with control no longer conflicts with mouse and keyboard controls.

- Landowner gets stuck less frequently.

- Background music levels fixed.

- Ruins stonework lightened.

- Bog creature sounds don’t last too long.

- Flashlight no longer appears to be made of stone.

http://www.big-robot.com/2014/04/10/one-more-update-before-the-big-day/

Toma

The Cubesis devs are STILL improving the game and just asked for my feedback again on some upcoming planned features and changes, which would make the game even better than the last "definite recommendation" state. I'll start haunting you guys in your dreams if you dont eventually buy it and post some impressions.

The Cubesis devs are STILL improving the game and just asked for my feedback again on some upcoming planned features and changes, which would make the game even better than the last "definite recommendation" state. I'll start haunting you guys in your dreams if you dont eventually buy it and post some impressions.

I did buy it a while back, haven't had a chance to dig much past the tutorial though. I remember finding it a bit rough to both look at and use, but I booted it up just now and it seems like they've done a lot of nice work just cleaning up some of the more rough edges. Definitely going to jump back in once I get the chance.

Toma

I did buy it a while back, haven't had a chance to dig much past the tutorial though. I remember finding it a bit rough to both look at and use, but I booted it up just now and it seems like they've done a lot of nice work just cleaning up some of the more rough edges. Definitely going to jump back in once I get the chance.

Yeah, they changed a lot since I first played it, most notably the controls which were more hit than miss initially. They also apparently add a zoom in option and some other adjustments soon, but I am still trying to negotiate those. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom