• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [April] Now Voting - Post 542!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any impressions of Meridian?
Mainly, is it large scale control like Starcraft (where you can kind of tell units to go here and attack) or is it more like CoH (where you can micromanage your units, tell them to take cover, other actions, etc.)?

rybrad

On my birthday, what a funky coincidence.

You guys now know what you need to buy yourself on may 6th to make me happy. :p
Neat, that is my birthday too but I already bought the game due to your incessant hounding glowing recommendation!

rybrad

Just checked out that game's demo, can't believe I've never heard of it before. I might not wait for it to come out on Steam.
I have found several games through the Greenlight batches now that I have never heard of and ended up liking a great deal. I guess that balances out some of the absolutely tragic shit that gets in over good games.

Now on Early Access:
0rbitalis - $3.99 (PC)
ss_aead0ed98a46394dc168daf588907f02036cd92c.600x338.jpg

http://www.0rbitalis.com/

0RBITALIS is a gravity simulator with a retro-puzzle flavor: explore stars, dodge asteroids and destroy planets.
Launch your satellite into orbit and face the force which keeps the Universe together: Gravity. Study it. Trick it. Defeat it. All with a single click.

Luna's Wandering Stars is the new IGS deal
Game just released last month so I guess it wasn't doing well sales-wise. Looks cool, picked it up, will post impressions later

Luna's Wandering Stars - $9.99 (PC, Mac)
lunaswanderingstars.gif

http://serenityforge.com/games/lunaswanderingstars.html

Luna’s Wandering Stars is our love-letter to space; for the existential wonder it creates and the assertion that physics is beautiful. Luna is an action-puzzle game that centers around real Newtonian physics and various ways to manipulate the universe. Change the strength of gravity; use rockets to thread your way through asteroid belts; or even bend the fabric of space with wormholes!

So the Twin Souls (formerly Path of Shadows) Kickstarter will be happening sooner than I had previously anticipated. The dev PM'd me an estimated timeframe so I'm not sure if I should share that yet, but it might be happening really soon

So the Twin Souls (formerly Path of Shadows) Kickstarter will be happening sooner than I had previously anticipated. The dev PM'd me any estimated timeframe so I'm not sure if I should share that yet, but it might be happening really soon

Nice and I don't think they'll have problems getting funded. Do you know if they are preparing a demo or if they are going to use the alpha/concept?

Nice and I don't think they'll have problems getting funded. Do you know if they are preparing a demo or if they are going to use the alpha/concept?
Not sure, but I also saw a new screenshot and the game's look has progressed and changed since the prototype. So I doubt that version would be an accurate depiction of the current game

Edit: so I asked the dev and they're working on a new tech demo and a gameplay demo
And they're talking with a "quite known publisher"

Awesome Door Kickers update
- Bigger maps (zoom/scroll enabled for all maps)
- New scenario type: Protect the VIP
- Three new enemy types (Operator Orville, Juggernaut Emil, Assassins)
- Three new maps
- Improved enemy/SWAT AI
- Export replays to video
- Modding support + in-game mods menu
- Steam Workshop support
- Can resume a game anytime during a replay
- Added enemy ghosts for last visible location

2014_4_17_11_0_54-680x350.jpg

Life Goes On releases in 4 hours. Finally!

Not sure, but I also saw a new screenshot and the game's look has progressed and changed since the prototype. So I doubt that version would be an accurate depiction of the current game

Edit: so I asked the dev and they're working on a new tech demo and a gameplay demo
And they're talking with a "quite known publisher"

Thanks, the publisher part is interesting.

You can probably guess what peaked my interest

Because This Is Literally The Best We Could Come Up With: Retribution - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
sshot_15.png

http://lairofpixies.itch.io/because

A fast paced arcade shoot-em-up. Survive through 37 waves of enemies with your quick reflexes. Each game is randomized for maximum replayability. Started at the Berlin Mini Game Jam with the theme "strange power-ups", some of the power-ups help you, while others make you more vulnerable. Dodge the nasty ones for a higher chance to stay alive, you have three lives. Featuring a catchy chiptune soundtrack and beautiful pixel art graphics for your delight.

Finally out! Currently 25% off ($9.74)

Life Goes On - $12.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
ss_50b7c759ad0d32b9004cfa23f4a3f9f26de42b2f.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250050/

Life Goes On is a comically-morbid platformer where you guide heroic knights to their demise and use their dead bodies to solve puzzles. On your quest to find the Cup of Life, you will summon knight after knight to be brutally sacrificed. Impale knights on spikes to create a safe path. Catch a knight on a saw blade (ouch!) to strategically land the body on a button. Freeze your knights into blocks of ice to reach higher ground. As you journey through treacherous and trap-ridden worlds, you’ll show no mercy to solve each challenging puzzle.
In Life Goes On, death is not a setback. It is the only means to success.

Dammit Badass, I just brought Life Goes On, Luna and Glitchspace (Toma helped with that one) cos of your posts. Spare my wallet your recommendations, I beg you.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dammit Badass, I just brought Life Goes On, Luna and Glitchspace (Toma helped with that one) cos of your posts. Spare my wallet your recommendations, I beg you.

Thanks for the reminder, bought Luna as well.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I usually dismiss the "downfall of Steam" talk but damn, that's a sad sight to see

Was about to say the same thing. Its good that Steam is opening up, but it also means that eventually it wont be the incredibly lucrative Indie haven anymore.

daydream

Banned
I usually dismiss the "downfall of Steam" talk but damn, that's a sad sight to see

And those are games 11-20 btw, so page 2 already.

Anyway, when I wrote about Chasing Aurora and my problems with that game, I also stated that a metroidvania with the same artstyle and mechanics would be an idea waiting to happen. Secrets of Raetikon was already announced at that point, mind you, and I knew about it, just didn't connect the dots (nobody noticed my mistake, anyway!). Now that the game I demanded is out, I have to check it out, no way around it.

Toma

And those are games 11-20 btw, so page 2 already.

Anyway, when I wrote about Chasing Aurora and my problems with that game, I also stated that a metroidvania with the same artstyle and mechanics would be an idea waiting to happen. Secrets of Raetikon was already announced at that point, mind you, and I knew about it, just didn't connect the dots (nobody noticed my mistake, anyway!). Now that the game I demanded is out, I have to check it out, no way around it.

I wouldnt call Secrets of Raetikon a Metroidvania tbh even if there are multiple areas to explore. But feel free to correct me once you played it.

That's very sad for Raetikon, that games been buried before it even has the chance to be seen. That said, I could never stay mad at Putt-Putt, me and that car have been through a lot.

daydream

Banned
I wouldnt call Secrets of Raetikon a Metroidvania tbh even if there are multiple areas to explore. But feel free to correct me once you played it.

Ah, maybe I got the wrong impression then. But being more exploration-focused is a big step towards what I wanted, in any case.

alllen

Neo Member
Added a new enemy type to my game finally:
wvvV4ZX.png

(shock effect looks way better in motion though)

Here's the indiedb page for it, which is shamefully neglected. If anyone is interested in trying the game I have a recent build that's pretty playable. Just send a PM or something with what OS you're on (mac/win/linux).

They may be good, but for once I agree with Total Biscuit: they've been out for years, they're not new releases, and don't deserve to steal the precious New Release spotlight from games like Raetikon

With the influx of older titles I wouldn't be against a new tab labeled "Classics" or something like that. Or even a check box, similar to "Show downloadable content," that allows a person to show older games that have been added to Steam.

Toma

If you guys want to talk mess about Putt Putt Joins the Parade, you're going to have to go through me first.

Judging based on your avatar, I'd say you are pretty tasty.

KO-OP Mode, who were working on the beautiful Skipping Stones, announced that their current game, GNAH!, will be available on Steam this year.

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f952acfb583b3dff2310fe073&id=4af76f837c&e=38657da9b9

GNAH! is a puzzle game that involves messing with a monster's head. You poke around it and get inside of it as well. There's a small trailer for it on the main site I linked above.

I hope they didn't abandon Skipping Stones. That was one of the games I was looking forward to most this year.

daydream

Banned
KO-OP Mode, who were working on the beautiful Skipping Stones, announced that their current game, GNAH!, will be available on Steam this year.

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f952acfb583b3dff2310fe073&id=4af76f837c&e=38657da9b9

GNAH! is a puzzle game that involves messing with a monster's head. You poke around it and get inside of it as well. There's a small trailer for it on the main site I linked above.

I hope they didn't abandon Skipping Stones. That was one of the games I was looking forward to most this year.

Ever since GNAH! was featured in one of the Screenshot Saturdays (and in a TIG Source Mag issue), I periodically think about that game. Looks truly unique.

If you're familiar with mobile gaming, the best description I've seen of GNAH is "The Room" with robot heads

Impressions

Icarus - I like the main idea and I can see it turning out to be an interesting game, for now there isn't too much depth in the build I played, but it already has a feel of urgency where you need to plan for when to leave and for which planet to go. Icarus could benefit immensely of a start screen explaining the goal.

Gang Beasts - I was unable to play, the game doesn't seem to recognize my keyboard and mouse to control the character.

Museum of Parallel Art - My favorite game from the batch I played today so far, I played it with my middle brother and while he took some time to understand the game he enjoyed it a lot. He haven't played a lot of games lately, mostly Candy Crush on his phone so it was surprisingly to him liking the game so much. The best thing Museum of Parallel Art does is engaging both player is discussing how each player interpret the pictures, and I can say the way my brother interpret and what feels each picture brings to him are vastly different than mine. It'll be in my voting list in the end of the month.

Recommended to play even with a person that doesn't play video games.

Labyrinth of Keys - It took me some time to "understand" the game, just like La-Mulana, but even the initial learning curve it didn't clicked with me. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Mini Metro - So before going to the bed I decided to play Mini Metro and holy shit, this game is very addicting! I started totally clueless just pulling the lines between the stations and I didn't get so far, also doesn't help that I ignored the mouse icon showing where the upgrades that I bought were. xD

My second, third and fourth walk-through were exponentially better than each other, you start to planning better the lines between the station, and what upgrade is more beneficial be it a new car in a busy line, expanding the station capabilities or creating a new tunnel to connect them. This game caught surprised me, highly recommended and it'll be in my voting list.

daydream

Banned
Mini Metro - So before going to the bed I decided to play Mini Metro and holy shit, this game is very addicting! I started totally clueless just pulling the lines between the stations and I didn't get so far, also doesn't help that I ignored the mouse icon showing where the upgrades that I bought were. xD

My second, third and fourth walk-through were exponentially better than each other, you start to planning better the lines between the station, and what upgrade is more beneficial be it a new car in a busy line, expanding the station capabilities or creating a new tunnel to connect them. This game caught surprised me, highly recommended and it'll be in my voting list.

It begins. :D *high five*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom