• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [April] Now Voting - Post 542!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
Let's get some impressions going:

Labyrinth of Keys: I guess it has that La-Mulana thing going for it, but unlike the modern classic, there's no atmosphere, variety, mystique to speak of. Most puzzles are designed around keys and switches. Not terribly exciting.

Luftrausers: They nailed everything in this game. The look, the gameplay, the difficulty curve, the weapon arsenal, the soundtrack. The game is virtually perfect, as far as I'm concerned.

Mini Metro: One of the most promising alphas I played in recent memory. Obviously there's still some balance and UI issues to take care of, but the concept is already very engaging to me. Also, I like colourful Metro maps.

Gang Beasts: Really fun (and funny) brawler that only exists as a multiplayer game in my book. The game shines brightly when played with a couple of friends. I'd probably be happy with the final product if they just kept adding on multiplayer maps.

Let's get some impressions going:

Labyrinth of Keys: I guess it has that La-Mulana thing going for it, but unlike the modern classic, there's no atmosphere, variety, mystique to speak of. Most puzzles are designed around keys and switches. Not terribly exciting.

Luftrausers: They nailed everything in this game. The look, the gameplay, the difficulty curve, the weapon arsenal, the soundtrack. The game is virtually perfect, as far as I'm concerned.

Mini Metro: One of the most promising alphas I played in recent memory. Obviously there's still some balance and UI issues to take care of, but the concept is already very engaging to me. Also, I like colourful Metro maps.

Gang Beasts: Really fun (and funny) brawler that only exists as a multiplayer game in my book. The game shines brightly when played with a couple of friends. I'd probably be happy with the final product if they just kept adding on multiplayer maps.

Did you played Gang Beasts with Kb/m or controller?

daydream

Banned
Did you played Gang Beasts with Kb/m or controller?

Controller. The controls need fine-tuning, for sure, but I'm guessing that's their no.1 priority, anyway.

Mechanic Escape - $4,99 (PC)
AkVtSxK.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/268240/

A platformer where you help a TV and his mechanic buddies escape from their technological prison. Strongly influenced by the 'runner' genre, the game builds off of a 'die, retry' structure with a lot of collectable bits to go after in every level, while trying to get a perfect run. Watch out for that gruesome angry cloud chasing you, though - you are on a grand escape, after all.

Decided to try it out when I saw it on Steam a couple of days ago. It's nothing earth-shatteringly new, but artstyle and animation are quite charming (reminded me of Hell Yeah), and there's definitely a "just one more level" quality to it.

daydream

Banned
More impressions:

Towerfall Ascension: This game plays it "safer" than other indie couch games that we saw in the past months. It's not as frantic as Samurai Gunn, not as particular as Nidhogg, not as ridiculous as Sportsfriends. It has a solid singleplayer, though, and the multiplayer is fun enough. There's more going on than meets the eye.

Javel-ein: It didn't do as much for me as it did for others, but I can't deny that it does the "one weapon, one chance"-concept quite well. I just found the level design to be a bit.. harmless.

Spidren: Didn't enjoy this much at all, sadly. It's the simplest of concepts, done in a frustrating way (for the record, I don't think QWOP is particularly good, but definitely more interesting). I didn't find Spidren that charming, either (and I'm not as arachnophobic as 90% of GAF are).

Pepboy

The Last Federation -- Initial Impressions : The developer, Arcen, has really hit it out of the ballpark with this one. It provides a really unique twist to the (much beloved) 4x formula by letting the player become "the ancients". You are the last of your kind, playing a balancing game, trying to ally, bribe, and sabotage different races to your will. This is complemented with an engaging battle system (playing to their past AI War experience). The races don't just have different pictures and backstories but actually have meaningfully different gameplay options that fit the races background. Overall, think more Star Control 2's combat and story mixed with Crusader Kings 2's diplomay rather than Master of Orion / GalCiv.

Arcen previously attempted something like this in Skyward Collapse, which was intriguing but ultimately felt a bit clumsy and arbitrary. It may be that some of the options in TLF might be window dressing (it's too early for me to really tell) but if so, it's really attractive window dressing. I will try to provide more detailed feedback after playing more, but I heartily recommend it to those on the fence.

daydream

Banned
More OP impressions:

Catcher: Quite an interesting concept that I would have preferred in a puzzler environment more than in its action-y context. You're basically on a Geometry Wars-style grid, trying to catch enemies that are flying around in a net that you can open and close at your will. The way it turned out it's a curious little time-waster, but not more for me.

Betrayer: I'm not as far into it to notice some of the finer weak points that have been brought up by quite a few people. I can only say that I enjoy a lot of aspects about this game - the atmosphere and the visual style, especially - while I feel a bit ambivalent about others, most notably the combat and enemy design. Still, on a fundamental level, this jives with me.

Friction (aka Frog Fractions Gaiden, aka The Novelist: Fiction harder): Really neat little shooter where you have to grind bullets to power up your laser. Worth checking out for a few rounds, for sure - oh, and like Toma pointed out, the music's rad and it's from a free album that is even radder (dat 'Summer of Hate').

Beautiful Prison: I have nothing to add to Toma's post except that the beginning is not artsy, but horribly amateurish just like the rest of it.

daydream

Banned
More impressions:

Aerobat: The game manages to convey a sense of speed, but honestly, I don't think it looks that great (in gifs maybe, but not in natura). Also, I always felt like the game was missing some big component that would add to the gameplay and give it the substance it so desperately needs.

Escape Goat 2: The game offers the variation on the original formula you would expect from a sequel, but at its core, it's more Escape Goat, and, well, that's a good thing. Can't really say much more about it, it's an outstanding puzzle platformer.

Landslide McQueen: Huh, I did not expect this to end in a Burnout-esque crash mode type of intersection. Not that that part of it was well done or anything (no 'oomph' in the physics is the big issue here), it was just surprising. Only thing really worth mentioning (and lauding) is the visual aspect, I did enjoy the look and the mise en scène quite a bit. We'll see how they build on this (tenuous) foundation.

singmetosleep - ????

Quarantime - PC, IOS, Android
011.jpg

http://www.quarantimegame.com/

This is an arcade survival game based on Stress. Live the stress of beeing a zombie Shepherd. In this scoring game you will have to cross an endless number of building floors. The rules are simple, put as much zombies as possible in quarantine hall, as fast as you can. When you get seen by the infected you will be chased from floor to floor forever, endlessly until you die or your pursuer gets inside the quarantine Hall.

Hextraction - PC, Mac, Linux
MOyEjBy.jpg

http://www.combomash.com/hextraction/

Command a mercenary oil rigging crew tasked with acquiring rare resources from uncharted planets. Build offensive towers to attack hordes of aliens in an ever changing environment. Hextraction is a mix between a tower defense and real time strategy game which offers procedural map generation, finite crew members who die and stay dead, choose your own path on the planet, environmental effects such as comet strikes and randomized story elements. No matter what you choose, your goal is clear, secure the rare resources at all costs!

Previously Mentioned

Master Spy

Landslide McQueen - As a proof of concept it's ok, I wish the level was longer. And as daydreaming said the visual is good.

The Way of Yiji - Tried to play but I had serious performance problems, like the game becoming unresponsive if I opened the menu and occasional frames drops. Guess I need a new computer. D:

DOGEcrash - ????
Bln3P9vCcAAHqO_.jpg

http://gameappmaker.co/

The game takes place in a randomly generated city. You are a cyberthief sent on a mission to steal enough of the cryptocurrency of the future to stage a 51% attack, retiring to a cushy life on The Moon. For some reason your primary mode of locomotion is rocket jumping.

Sorcerer’s Showdown - ????
directlink_BlnGDeXCUAA1j6o.png%3Alarge.png

http://sorcerersshowdown.com/the-game/

Sorcerer’s Showdown is a story driven tale in the guise of a space rail shooter: You are a Sorcerer, the spaceship personified, traveling about the magical cosmos of The Weave. Embark on a journey to see the wonders of the magical world, fill your imagination with the music of the universe, and use your magic abilities to interact with The Weave’s threads.

Barrage - PC
directlink_Blm5vGzCIAAFQji.png%3Alarge.png

http://www.barrage-game.com/

Barrage is an exciting fusion of action and rts gameplay, featuring big lasers, massive rockets, devastating experimental weapons and planetary base building on a grand scale. Crush your enemies with relentless bombardment or precision strikes as you expand your empire across the solar system and advance along the extensive research tree towards total domination!

Previously Mentioned

Magnetic By Nature

Ilamentia is the new IGS deal

Sound like my kind of game
Toma said:
Surprisingly not an art/notgame, but a puzzle game that gives you no clues other than how the environments react to your input. Each level requires a different way to solve it. Very intriguing, but I couldnt even beat all the levels in the demo.
Messofanego said:
First person puzzler with a lot of pink.
Did you ever finish the demo or get the full game, Toma?

daydream

Banned
Impressions! Aside from Mini Metro, Mizuonawa would be my 'game you glossed over this month but should really play before the voting'.

We Are Subjects: Weird, weird game that got on my nerves rather quickly. Just a bunch of ideas thrown together, no underlying concept, wonky physics, bad controls. Nope.

Meltdown: I could talk about how this was clearly an iOS game that got ported to PC and so on, but that's of no importance. Why? Because the game is a fun isometric shooter with a solid soundtrack and more than serviceable gameplay that "scratches that itch" of arcade-y run & gun gameplay with the slightest bit of depth added on top (upgrade path, melee). I have no reservations about recommending this to someone who knows what to expect and what he will gain out of it. Game is quite playable for being Early Access.

Mizuonawa: Puzzle game with a pleasant aesthetic and quite relaxing gameplay. You have a queue of pieces that you can drop on fourlanes and you create combos by matching the same colour on the bottom of those lanes (you put the pieces in from the botton). Endless mode is manageable enough, the heart of it is the puzzle mode which, well, is your typical puzzle mode. You get a specific number of pieces and you have to clear the board with them. The fact that matched pieces only disappear one or two seconds after being matched allows for combos where you drop in more and create different chains that way. Really likeable game, so check it out!

Code:
[B]Excellent:[/B]

Luftrausers
Escape Goat 2

[B](Very) Promising:[/B]

Mini Metro
Gang Beasts
Meltdown
Krautscape

[B]Good:[/B]

Museum of Parallel Art
Mizuonawa
Towerfall Ascension
Betrayer
Friction

[B]Decent:[/B]

Catcher
Javel-ein
Broken Robot Love
Landslide McQueen

[B]Disappointing:[/B]

Aerobat
Labyrinth of Keys
We Are Subjects
Spidren
Beautiful Prison

Don't think this was ever featured. From the dev of Ilamentia, looks really pretty and interesting. Currently 30% off on IGS, 50% off on itch.io
Also on Greenlight

Echo of the Wilds - Free demo/$9.99 (PC, Mac)
637x358.resizedimage

http://caiysware.com/echo-of-the-wilds

Echo of the Wilds is a puzzly narrativy adventure, featuring randomized wilderness survival.
Finding yourself in mysterious forests you must unfurl a spiritual tale of solace before the unending winter consumes all. There a spirit guide will help you learn the skills of survival and the secrets of the wilds: why you awakened there, their purpose, and how to finally be free from its clutches and malevolent apparitions.
The gameplay focuses on exploration and survival of the randomised wilds. Gathering resources to build gear and sustain yourself, learning new skills and the intertwining interactions between the various areas, seasons, and weather.

Hover's already at 56% in less than two days and HFA is tearing through stretch goals. Nice to see these campaigns getting the support and attention they deserve

daydream

Banned
Hover's already at 56% in less than two days and HFA is tearing through stretch goals. Nice to see these campaigns getting the support and attention they deserve

Yeah, the success of HFA makes me really happy..

..but I'm also intrigued. Like with every project I ask myself - what makes a campaign an instant success (like in HFA's case) or why can it end up being a long uphill battle? We've seen games with equally well-crafted art struggle. There are no big names involved. Is it the "metroidvania" label? (If yes, what does that tell us about where we're at with games?) Did they manage to drum up a lot of attention? Or is it all just coincidental?

Anyway, it'd be worth thinking and writing about.

..but I'm also intrigued. Like with every project I ask myself - what makes a campaign an instant success (like in HFA's case) or why can it end up being a long uphill battle? We've seen games with equally well-crafted art struggle. There are no big names involved. Is it the "metroidvania" label? (If yes, what does that tell us about where we're at with games?) Did they manage to drum up a lot of attention? Or is it all just coincidental?

Well I think in HFA's case, it had 7 years of hype and exposure in its wake so the game was known at the very least. The trailer is really well done and of course the art is fantastic. I think, like Hyper Light Drifter and Rimworld, games that blow through their goals with such ease, it's just luck, timing, and some kind of perfect storm of variables that really can't be predicted. It also helps when some reputable industry names tweet about and back the game.

As for Hover, it's Mirror's Edge + Jet Set Radio, already coming to consoles, and has the possibility of a Hideki Naganuma soundtrack. The trailer shows a lot of gameplay from a really impressive alpha version, the devs have a clear vision and direction for the game. All those elements are definitely working in the game's favor

daydream

Banned
Well I think in HFA's case, it had 7 years of hype and exposure in its wake so the game was known at the very least. The trailer is really well done and of course the art is fantastic. I think, like Hyper Light Drifter and Rimworld, games that blow through their goals with such ease, it's just luck, timing, and some kind of perfect storm of variables that really can't be predicted. It also helps when some reputable industry names tweet about and back the game.

As for Hover, it's Mirror's Edge + Jet Set Radio, already coming to consoles, and has the possibility of a Hideki Naganuma soundtrack. The trailer shows a lot of gameplay from a really impressive alpha version, the devs have a clear vision and direction for the game. All those elements are definitely working in the game's favor

Yes, I think in Hover's case, the reasons are apparent, and you're probably on the money with HFA. (Gotta remember "storm of variables", neat metaphor.)

Yes, I think in Hover's case, the reasons are apparent, and you're probably on the money with HFA. (Gotta remember "storm of variables", neat metaphor.)
The interesting thing is seeing how these devs seems to always sell their game short. Just shocked that their campaign attract so much attention and support. I think those reactions really imply that success like this is just a lot of luck and, like I said, some variables no one could foresee

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
you guys

10 hours til FRACT OSC

Put in some time with Secrets of Raetikon, at first it was kind of fun but then it quickly became a bit of a chore simulator. I don't find the shoddy physics orientation puzzles all that intriguing nor do I care for the triangle hunt aspect or the lacking combat system. The mystery itself and the sense of discovery upon finding a new location to flap around in is all that is keeping me going at this point.

Not too impressed. Will mess around with the editor to see if I can make some magic out of it after I finish the main game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
you guys

10 hours til FRACT OSC

Put in some time with Secrets of Raetikon, at first it was kind of fun but then it quickly became a bit of a chore simulator. I don't find the shoddy physics orientation puzzles all that intriguing nor do I care for the triangle hunt aspect or the lacking combat system. The mystery itself and the sense of discovery upon finding a new location to flap around in is all that is keeping me going at this point.

Not too impressed. Will mess around with the editor to see if I can make some magic out of it after I finish the main game.

Yep, this were my impressions 2-3 months ago as well.

daydream

Banned

Huh, I haven't yet made the purchase since the 3DS is kinda keeping my wallet busy. Doesn't sound too hot, though. Maybe I'll hold off for a bit.

I'll be really cynical and say pixel art is the blockbuster draw of indie games. There are many pixel communities that jump at those games and boost their hype. Metroidvania and RPG definitely gets the draw because that appeals to their nostalgia for some of the most celebrated games. GIFs are the key seller on a Kickstarter page. 7 years in the making gets the pity card going.

Witchmarsh kickstarter is going to make people lose their shit.

haha

daydream

Banned
I'll be really cynical and say pixel art is the blockbuster draw of indie games. There are many pixel communities that jump at those games and boost their hype. Metroidvania and RPG definitely gets the draw because that appeals to their nostalgia for some of the most celebrated games. GIFs are the key seller on a Kickstarter page. 7 years in the making gets the pity card going.

Witchmarsh kickstarter is going to make people lose their shit.

haha

Cynical or not, I have similar suspicions, Messo. I'm totally fine with it, too, as long as it is in service of something as lovingly made as HFA.

The Sandbox - $9.99 (PC)
ss_4b9f79f54644b0e9126940288f30c9e5daec72c6.1920x1080.jpg

LINK
The Sandbox is a unique world building & crafting game featuring over 150+ physics elements presented in 2D pixel blocks that can interact with each others. Players can craft amazing worlds, create pixel art, chain reactions, chiptune music, advanced contraptions, electric circuits or just play with physics.

Play with basic elements ranging from simple water, stone, sand, wood, glass, lava, fire, to more complex: electricity, metal, virus, antivirus,heater, cooler, lasers, pipes, gems, sensors, leds TNT, C4, crosswire, conveyor belt, music instruments etc.

The Sandbox - $9.99 (PC)
Cool! I had tried the IOS version but the F2P elements really diminished the experience IMO and the touch controls weren't that precise. A premium version with mouse and keyboard? I can get onboard with that

The game is like those old Falling Sands flash games, turned up to eleven. A lot of elements and variables to play with and manipulate (even weather, atmosphere, temperature) and actual missions and campaigns. $10 is a steal in terms how it includes all the mission packs.

Cool! I had tried the IOS version but the F2P elements really diminished the experience IMO and the touch controls weren't that precise. A premium version with mouse and keyboard? I can get onboard with that

The game is like those old Falling Sands flash games, turned up to eleven. A lot of elements and variables to play with and manipulate (even weather, atmosphere, temperature) and actual missions and campaigns. $10 is a steal in terms how it includes all the mission packs.

Sounds interesting.

daydream

Banned

Yeah, the iOS version was awful in that regard, but I'm not sure the game itself was that substantial, honestly. I'd gladly be proven wrong, though, if anyone wants to give the PC version a whirl and write about it.

So I've been playing some of The Last Federation and I can semi recommend it to everyone if you like your space 4x games. The basic concept is that a 4x game is occurring but you don't directly control any of the races but rather are a freelance mercenary type who jets around the galaxy and takes on jobs for pay and influence, with the end goal of setting up a galaxy federation to preserve peace between all these warring races. Or not, their is nothing stopping you from teaming up with one race and just helping them conqure the galaxy or driving everyone against one hated race and then making peace with the rest. The freedom of the endgame state is a highpoint of the game itself, you can pretty much try for the optimal peaceful ending or you can drive all these races into increasingly violence conflicts for your own amusement, or you can just watch as the game plays itself out.

The problems I found with Last Federation are the systems in play feel too rules driven and lack the feel of dealing with living breathing races. Makes the game play like a complex logic puzzle rather then a space diplomacy simulator. Despite that, I would still recommend it purely for its concept alone really but know that you might be bouncing off it sooner then most 4x games.

Also you play as a multi-headed snake, if that doesn't sell you then I don't know what will.

Was thinking about something earlier, thought it could make an interesting topic. Do you think there are any negative aspects to labeling these games as "indie games"?

What defines an indie game? It was once the lack of a publisher, but nowadays many indie games get picked up by publishers and I'd still consider them "indie". Obviously budget and team size are factors that separate these games from AAA games.

What about quality? In terms of movies, put an independent film besides a big-budget summer blockbuster and there'll probably be a considerable gap in quality. Maybe not in story or acting, but the big companies have access to better equipment, able to construct more elaborate sets, better effects, etc.

But with games, that quality difference is diminished greatly. Story? You don't need a big budget or a big team to craft a compelling story. In fact, these games tackle themes and narratives that most AAA games won't. Visuals? Art is subjective. Sure, AAA games can have more photorealistic graphics, but those aren't any better or worse than any other style, just different. Gameplay? If you're talking variety, originality, finely tuned mechanics, both indie and AAA games offer that in spades. If you were to show someone Distance and say it was Criterion's new arcade racing IP or tell someone Heart Forth, Alicia is a new Nintendo franchise, or that Cloudbuilt was a new 3D platformer from Ubisoft, I doubt people would question you.

And while we know it isn't true, "indie game" used elsewhere on GAF or in other forums is usually presented in the context implying that these games are somehow inferior to AAA games. That they're distinctly separate in terms of quality, scope, etc., when in fact they're just good games.

So I guess back to the original question, do you think that placing games in that category of "indies" have any negative effects?

(Did that post make any sense?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom