• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [April] Now Voting - Post 542!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
Omori looks awesome, and hey, it's already funded.

Edit: Well, let me explain "awesome": There's still an element of RPG Maker in the visuals, but with enough polish and sophistication, they could "overwrite" that and remain with the atmosphere and tone as well as an engrossing world that similar games have aimed for with varying success. In short: If the game grows out of its shell, it could be amazing.

You can also be get a criminal negligence state and then...this is the cool part: you get sentenced to ten years in your own jail. So now you have control over your character, you're taken to your cell, and now can roam around your prison as a prisoner. I really hope the devs expand on this. It's practically two games in one now

At that point, they should just team up with the Prisonscape people and make the ultimate jail game.

Prison Architect was updated today and one of the new features is maybe the coolest yet. Essentially there are fail states now (uncontrollable riot = revoke contract and national guard called in, too many deaths, too many escapes, etc.)

You can also get a criminal negligence state and then...this is the cool part: you get sentenced to ten years in your own jail. So now you have control over your character, you're taken to your cell, and now can roam around your prison as a prisoner. I really hope the devs expand on this. It's practically two games in one now

I'm now musing on the concept of that game eventually have a multiplayer mode where one player is the designer/warden while the other is a prisoner trying to escape. The real kicker though, the warden doesn't know which prisoner is the human and which are just mindless AIs.

Wok

I'm now musing on the concept of that game eventually have a multiplayer mode where one player is the designer/warden while the other is a prisoner trying to escape. The real kicker though, the warden doesn't know which prisoner is the human and which are just mindless AIs.

PrisonParty in the sense of SpyParty in Prison.

So Iceberg Interactive (Starpoint Gemini 2, Nuclear Dawn, Horizon) will be publishing Starship Corporation, coming to Steam Early Access in the Fall.
o8Wp7FJ.jpg
VPONtu3.jpg

Concerning Freedom Planet...

The current release date for FP is at the end of May, so if things go well on Galaxytail's end, everyone will get to experience that phenomenal game.

And I'm not exaggerating, I've played the beta, and Freedom Planet could potentially be my GOTY, and one of the best platformers of the decade. It's just so well designed, and packed to the brim with heart and soul. To say it's a true evolution of 2D Sonic (albeit an offshoot) would not be an exaggeration, it stands up superbly with the Genesis titles and, in some respects, surpasses them.

Seriously, I'm a little annoyed that this title isn't getting more exposure, because it's not even complete yet and I'm already content to say that it makes most games released over the past few years feel like garbage by comparison.
I dunno if I'd go so far as to call it GotY (Smash is very likely to take that spot for me, I'm a huge sucker for it), but yeah, I'm really into it as well. Although I do wonder if it'll need a small delay to allow for all of the cutscenes to get made (there's a lot to do there) or figure out some other important things last-minute (like what on Earth those colored spheres are gonna end up doing).

At least the final stage seems to be coming together:
BlstfEzCAAA7CNi.png:orig

You can tell this is where the artist discovered hue-shifting produces an intriguing otherworldly effect.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
mini metro and mizunoawa are sweet! Thanks for whoever did the mini metro shoutout. Smart little game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

A bit late, but crossposting from the Cubesis thread:

So my impressions on Spy Chameleon:
SpyChameleonRGBAgentTeaserV8.0.mp4.jpg

I have a hard time outright saying that its bad, because its not. Unfortunately, its also not really fun. You only change your body color to match floor tiles on which cameras cant see you, evade light cones and reach the end. They describe the game as action-puzzle game, but there is never much to think or figure out. The game is also called "Spy Chameleon" and evokes some stealth game comparisons when glancing over screenshots, but the stealth backdrop (view cones, cameras) is only really a backdrop to the arcade-style running through levels. That in itself would be fine, but there is just not enough to it, maybe I'd compare it to Monaco, but instead of Guards, static cameras and a level layout which holds no secrets and nothing interesting at all. No frantic chases, no surprises, no sneaking. Its also surprising how derivative all levels are. Same structure all the time: Evade cones, grab coins, reach goal. I should also mention that I am annoyed by games that have a input designed for xbox color palettes, which makes them incredibly unintuitive to play on PC. I played 20 levels and changing color palettes was more of a hindrance than actually adding depth to the game.

That being said, its objectively not quite as bad as I make it out to be. I am definitely spoiled by the hundreds of great Indies every year, and I am sure someone could find this fun somehow, but its definitely not a game I'll spend more time on and I wouldnt recommend it.

IGS had a pretty good record of putting up way more interesting games (even if they were less polished or not as complete as Spy Chameleon), so I'd also suggest betting on the next 10$ deal instead.

daydream

Banned
Tons of indies coming to PS4. Very solid choices. The bigger the role indies get to play, the better.

mini metro and mizunoawa are sweet! Thanks for whoever did the mini metro shoutout. Smart little game.

Glad you liked them. Dunno when you played Mini Metro, but they just released alpha10. Seems like the upgrade system changes with every version, curious to see where it'll end up.

Toma

Glad you liked them. Dunno when you played Mini Metro, but they just released alpha10. Seems like the upgrade system changes with every version, curious to see where it'll end up.

Just now actually, played the browser demo. Trying to finish up some more game impression sessions before putting up the new thread tomorrow.

The upgrade system was a bit... weird and not very intuitive though. Lovely concept though. A Mini-City in motion basically.

daydream

Banned
Just now actually, played the browser demo. Trying to finish up some more game impression sessions before putting up the new thread tomorrow.

The upgrade system was a bit... weird and not very intuitive though. Lovely concept though. A Mini-City in motion basically.

Yeah, they keep experimenting with it. The upgrades aren't random, but if you haven't read the devlog, figuring it out during the game is a hassle.

This is Honourbound today

Very nice, hope it plays as well as it looks. I do miss fighting creepy demon samurai, perhaps my mind is just playing up how big Onimusha was but I feel their was a point in gaming history where their were a lot more samurai action games then today. I would not be opposed to a revival of the genre.

Also, approve of use of ridiculous British spelling for honour. As a Brit, it is my life goal to stick Us into every word possible.

I dunno if I'd go so far as to call it GotY (Smash is very likely to take that spot for me, I'm a huge sucker for it), but yeah, I'm really into it as well. Although I do wonder if it'll need a small delay to allow for all of the cutscenes to get made (there's a lot to do there) or figure out some other important things last-minute (like what on Earth those colored spheres are gonna end up doing).

At least the final stage seems to be coming together:
BlstfEzCAAA7CNi.png:orig

You can tell this is where the artist discovered hue-shifting produces an intriguing otherworldly effect.

Granted, I might be speaking a bit over the top, with my assessment, but the game's giving me a rush that few games do. Though Trap Hideout's boss is a massive pain in the ass, I still can't beat him.

And the final stage looks great, can't wait for it to be finished.

Toma

Desura dump for next month incoming

Toma

Croixleur Sigma - Free Demo/$9,99 (PC)
w7nU2U7.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250640/

A 60FPS high speed hack-and-slash arcade action game by Japanese indie developer souvenir circ. and featuring gameplay reminiscent of the Devil May Cry series' Bloody Palace mode in which you are tasked with fighting through increasingly tough challenges with equal rewards. Demo can be found via Steam search.

Slip - Free Demo/€6,99 (PC, Mac)
NdhtZNe.png

http://www.desura.com/games/slip

Slip is a fast paced color swapping platformer, taking its biggest influence from Ikaruga with the color changing bullet hell jump&run gameplay. Utilizing your two colors (red & blue) you must flee from Steve and his wretched purple beam. The game spans through 12 increasingly levels and 20 challenge stages. Demo can be found here: http://www.handsomegames.net/Slip-Demo.exe

Regions - Free Demo (PC, Linux)
nh0HUHX.png

http://www.desura.com/games/regions

Regions is an abstract, minimalist puzzle game about understanding geometry. The objective is to draw a path that covers only one square of each region in a level. A simple concept to learn, but a hard one to master! With over 100 levels and a dynamic soundtrack, Regions is a nice treat for puzzle lovers.

The Samaritan Paradox - Free Demo/$9,99 (PC)
M7IUc6S.png

http://www.desura.com/games/the-samaritan-paradox

A writer has died. His daughter seeks the help of you, Ord Salamon, to find his secret last novel. During the search, questions will emerge. Did her father really kill himself? What is the secret novel all about? What is going on on the island of Fardo? Crack codes, decipher secrets & find a lost fortune in this exciting adventure for Windows PC.

Social Caterpillar - $2,99 (PC)
gqS9t56.png

http://www.desura.com/games/social-caterpillar/images/screenshot-01

This game is a diorama that elaborates on my thoughts and feelings about introversion and socializing. Each piece is some wildly personal metaphor for interacting and progressing. It mirrors my beliefs and my successes and my failures. Social Caterpillar is the story of an introvert stepping outside his/her bubble for the sake of curiosity and the possibility of love... and maybe just to ace that big speech on insects. (Life's weird like that.) It incorporates context-sensitive puzzles as a way for the inexperienced character to work through social interactions while simultaneously ignoring a rather unhelpful Inner Voice.

The Mask Reveals Disgusting Face - Free (PC)
0Wh1wQO.png

http://www.desura.com/games/the-mask-reveals-disgusting-face

The Mask Reveals Disgusting Face is a short horror adventure with graphics inspired by pixel-horror games. The concept is based around simulation of depression. You are a depressed person named Gary, who decided to spend some time in empty house outside the town. Bad idea. Some strange force locked you up here. Weird things started happening in the house, driving you crazy. The mask will soon reveal it's face...

Toma

Airships - $4,99 (PLAT)
bWlbM3l.png

http://www.desura.com/games/airships

A real-time strategy game where you design airships and then fight with them. At its core, the game is about designing airships and fighting with them. Ships are put together out of modules, and the layout of modules matters a great deal: everything on board is done by individual airsailors who need to run around, ferrying coal, ammunition, water and repair tools - and sometimes their fallen comrades.

MuSquare - €1,99 (PC)
IUtW0nH.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/musquare

The rules are simple, surviving is hard. Dodge red bullets, collect black boxes, but is that really all there is to it? The game allows you to play against patterns created by your music and throws several surprises at you, which I dont want to spoil here in case you are interested. There is a bit more to this game than meets the eye.

CyberHeist - Free (PC)
MBFZtbh.png

http://www.desura.com/games/cyberheist

Cyber Heist is a new vision for two-player, cooperative gameplay where neither player can succeed without the other. Play as the top-down 2D Hacker, rerouting power to unlock doors, reveal sensitive information, and provide intel. Or play as the first-person 3D Thief, a stealth-infiltrator who uses only his wits and skills to avoid drone detection, recover passwords, and dupe the security detection system. Different roles, common goals.

Another Star - Free Demo/€6,99 (PC)
1o0hS4P.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/another-star

Another Star is a console-style RPG like none you've ever played before! Which is really just marketing-speak for "it's like every other RPG you've ever played, except it has a few things that make it feel new, different and exciting". The game is an 8-bit console-style RPG crammed into a single 128×128 tile sheet, Another Star still manages to bring you a vast world to explore. Secrets are hidden everywhere, and you never know what you might find on the next screen. Those who take the time to explore instead of merely rushing to the next objective are certain to be rewarded.

Radium - Free Demo/$2,99 (PLAT)
KEeHebC.png

http://www.desura.com/games/radium

Radium is a minimalistic skill game, featuring an unique control scheme. By pressing the left or right arrow key, the orb is pulled or pushed to the direction of the corresponding button. Your goal is to navigate the ball as fast as possible through the level. New levels will be unlocked depending on how fast solved the previous ones.

LEVEL 22, Gary's Misadventures - Free Demo/$4,99 (PC)
n3DJGLu.png

http://www.desura.com/games/level-22-garys-misadventures

Gary is an office worker who oversleeps after a drunken night out on the town. Here’s where it gets tricky, because this isn’t the first time Gary’s been late for work, and he could be fired if he’s spotted arriving at his desk after everyone else yet again. So he’ll have to prove he’s smart and sneaky enough to make his way up all the 22 floors between him and his office without being seen. You can grab the demo here: https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/http://www.noego-games.com/demo/

Toma

Great, Toma-Bot doesnt currently work on this PC and I dont have access to my old PC because I am on vacation atm. I'll try to get someone to send me the files tomorrow and hopefully put it up then. If that doesnt work out, we'll need to wait until sunday for the next thread.

Sorry for the hassle, and I'll remember to change the program in a way that doesnt require access to the program lines.

alllen

Neo Member
Sir, You Are Being Hunted v1.0 is being released today, here is the launch trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akrT77X-IZA

Played it briefly today, it doesn't seem seem all that different from when I last played it about when it first came onto Early Access on Steam.

It's an alright game but I was quite disappointed. All the generated worlds I've played all felt pretty much identical, the enemy AI is fairly stupid and doesn't really give you the sense that you're being hunted, houses are just giant loot containers, and there's nothing interesting in the world to explore or experience.

Nothing is really bad about it, it's just painfully mediocre. And that's a shame since I love stealth and first person games, and the setting and concept is really cool.

Great, Toma-Bot doesnt currently work on this PC and I dont have access to my old PC because I am on vacation atm. I'll try to get someone to send me the files tomorrow and hopefully put it up then. If that doesnt work out, we'll need to wait until sunday for the next thread.

Sorry for the hassle, and I'll remember to change the program in a way that doesnt require access to the program lines.

No worries Toma, go enjoy your vacation.

Don't worry about it, have fun

I guess if we might be with this thread for a little bit longer, might as well post the May retrospective here

May 2013
Another retrospective look at how indie games have progressed (or not) in a year's time

A.N.N.E. - Still in development, was at PAX, available to preorder, Greenlit

Assault Android Cactus - on Steam Early Access, regular updates

Axiom Verge - regular blog updates, coming to PC, PS4, Vita

Businessman - still no site or blog but still in development, consistent dev tweets

Citizens of Earth - Failed Kickstarter, but now being published by Atlus!, releasing in Fall, coming to PC, PS4, Vita, WiiU, and 3DS

Cradle - no blog updates or Tweets since November

Dog Sled Saga - Preorders/beta access available, coming to Steam soon

Dusty Revenge - finished and released

Dying Sun - TIGforum thread is deleted or closed, zero info about the game anywhere

Exil - still in development, developer switched to Unreal Engine

Extrasolar - finished and launched in February

Ghost of a Tale - successful Indiegogo campaign, regular blog updates

Glorious: Companions - dev is active on Twitter, but no IndieDB article or Tweets about the game since last year

Gunpoint - finished and released

Icefishing V - finished, download here

Kitbash - Steady progress, regular dev Tweets

Krautscape - on Steam Early Access

Loot Legends - nothing beyond the tweets last year

Maia - on Steam Early Access, updated last month

Miegakure - was playable at PAX, new trailer

opendoors926

Neo Member
Pin - Free (Mac & Win)
Screen%20Shot%202014-03-23%20at%2011.39.17%20PM.png

[URL="http://www.bentanzer.com/currentproject/"]Click here to learn more and play Pin yourself for free![/URL]

Pin is a story of self-discovery, challenging perceptions, and the communal experience of change. It features alternating 2D and 3D scenes that invite the player to grow and evolve with the protagonist and the game itself. It is an attempt to create an experience suggestive of the growing pains that accompany any change in our lives and is anchored in the philosophies of Plato and Italo Calvino.

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts on my first game! Feel free to contact me either here or through my e-mail opendoors926@gmail.com. Thanks!

May 2013
Retrospective continued

NaissanceE - finished and released

Path of Shadow - now a playable prototype for expanded game Twin Souls, Kickstarter soon

Rex Rocket - successfully Kickstarted, regularly updated devlog

Rogue Legacy - finished and released

Sarcia - still in development, regular updates

Solstice - still in development, preorders available

Soundodger+ - finished and released

Sprout - still in development

Stasis - successfully Kickstarted, releasing late 2014

Storyteller - development on hold

Sully: A Very Serious RPG - releasing this Summer on PC, Mac, Linux, Vita

SUPER Witch Hunter Pro - no news or devlog updates since last April

TBRS - now titled Beat Patrol, download the December beta here

The Last Crown: Haunting of Hallowed Isle - now titled The Last Crown: Blackenrock, releasing 2014

The Mims: Beginning - successful Indiegogo campaign, beta demo available here, releasing 2014

The Realm - failed Kickstarter, game cancelled, devs are currently putting together a Realm Crowd Story storybook (learn more here)

The Swapper - finished and released

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - in development, regular blog updates

The Yawhg - finished and released

Traversia - no recent news

Valence - not in active development, devs are working on Trestle which is releasing in May

Wander - releasing mid-2014 on PC, PS4

OnPoint

Seeing as how we'll be with this thread for some time longer, I figure I'll post up about Level 2: The Virus Master now.

Lazy Brain Games is currently working on a game for the prog-metal band Last Chance To Reason. It's called Level 2, and John just put up an alpha build for feedback purposes at TIGSource.

I've been playtesting it for him for a couple of months now and I like what he's done with it so far. It's basically a twin-stick shooter with some interesting scrolling and crazy aesthetics. Keep an eye on the way he has hand animated the mouths to match the vocals (not a completed process by any means just yet). I thought maybe you guys would like to give it a shot, and if you do have feedback, please post so I can let him know what you think, good or bad.

Windows build available here

Screens:

daydream

Banned
Yeah, there's no rush, Toma. Vacation comes first. Sunday sounds like a good date to launch the new thread.

You're too quick for us, M_B. ;) Excellent work, as always. Track record of earlier threads continues to be very good, considering the games are often in a very early stage, indie development can be very erratic, etc.

rybrad

Nekro is launching on early access today. I backed the Kickstarter what seems like forever ago now so I will post some impressions after I get a chance to play this weekend. The game is an ARPG but instead of all the focus being on your character, you are a necromancer and you raise an army of minions to help you out. They are also adding in co-op at some point which is a cool addition that wasn't originally planned.

40 minute video from a couple months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTimHP3SdKY

Toma

Pilota from the OP is really good. Basically a top down light flight simulator with a massive amount of unlockable aircrafts, which are a pretty serviceable reason to keep playing the game. I am actually tempted to make a thread for it, but considering its basically... the niche of a niche, I might as well use my time more wisely.
The game is pretty slow going, but has a wide variety of activities. Not much handholding to be found here, though, as learning how to do these tasks can be a bit daunting. Some missions can take quite long and if you arent careful, you'll quickly lose the progress you made in a mission. A big issue I have with the game is the UI, it is almost unreadably small. If you can deal with that however, you like games that arent overly stressful and are being played at your own pace and you dont mind learning the ins and outs of the system before successfully tackling 1 of the 20 different mission types, this game might really surprise you.

Its cheap too, and I heartily recommend people checking it out if the gameplay style sounds intriguing. Pilota lands in my top 10 this month.

Toma

Just noticed only three people have posted their voting list so far. I guess everyone's playing Dark Souls :p

I'll add mine soon, but yeah, less people voting in 2014 currently.

I'll add mine soon, but yeah, less people voting in 2014 currently.
Checked out the other threads

March - 977
April - 845
May - 746
June - 846
July - 1,224
August - 1,232
September - 1,089
October - 1,625
November - 898
December - 902
January - 794
February - 959
March - 838
April - 642

What was going in July, August, September, October that the threads were getting over a thousand posts? The Summer/Fall Steam Sales?

And now we're getting less posts than the first threads back in 2013? That seem kind of worrying

Toma

Checked out the other threads

March - 977
April - 845
May - 746
June - 846
July - 1,224
August - 1,232
September - 1,089
October - 1,625
November - 898
December - 902
January - 794
February - 959
March - 838
April - 642

What was going in July, August, September, October that the threads were getting over a thousand posts? The Summer/Fall Steam Sales?

And now we're getting less posts than the first threads back in 2013? That seem kind of worrying

PS4 released in November, that seemed like a huge drop off for quite a few posters. Other than that... no clue. Not sure if the sales had any impact, but I guess we'll see this year how the end of the year will affect the activity.

Compared to the other threads, April probably missed around 50-100 posts from me, so part of that was my fault as well :p

Toma

Well, damn. Umbagram is really good. Really unfortunate it doesnt seem to be fully developed yet, as it doesnt save your progress, offers no level selection and is rather short. I am going to throw the dev a mail, asking whether he plans on expanding on the concept.

PS4 released in November, that seemed like a huge drop off for quite a few posters. Other than that... no clue. Not sure if the sales had any impact, but I guess we'll see this year how the end of the year will affect the activity.

Compared to the other threads, April probably missed around 50-100 posts from me, so part of that was my fault as well :p

I think the obvious culprits are the new consoles releasing and some high expected games being released past months.

Toma

My votes:

1. Mini-Metro
2. Pilota
3. Broken Robot Love
4. Luftrausers
5. Javel-ein
6. Mizunoawa
7. Umbagram
8. Capsule
9. Museum of Parallel Arts
10. Catcher

Status