• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [April] Now Voting - Post 542!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Anybody in here from the Toronto CA area going to Bit Bazaar on May 10? We'll be there showing Shutshimi, stop by and say hi!

daydream

Banned
Anybody in here from the Toronto CA area going to Bit Bazaar on May 10? We'll be there showing Shutshimi, stop by and say hi!

You guys have any tentative release date for the XBLIG version? :) I even browsed Xbox Live recently to see if it's already up.

OnPoint

You guys have any tentative release date for the XBLIG version? :) I even browsed Xbox Live recently to see if it's already up.
It's approved and ready to go on xblig, we just want to do a simultaneous release if possible. We are really, really hoping to have the game available everywhere by May 10, but can't launch the Desura and Humble sales until we have our bank situation solidified. Turns out it's a pain in the butt lol

Thanks for checking though! It means a lot.

VOTING!!1!

- Broken Robot Love
- Javel-ein
- Luftrausers
- Mini Metro
- Mizunoawa
- Museum of Parallel Art
- Umbragram

Also played but not in my list:

- Catcher
- Gang Beasts: I have no idea where my controller is, so I can't play it.
- Icarus:
- Labyrinth of Keys
- Landslide McQueen: Promising concept
- The Way of Yij: Didn't run well on my laptop, so I can't say if I like it or not

Path of Shadows, Twin Souls
maxresdefault.jpg
XdgWKvN.gif

things about games like this that appear on kickstarter is it depresses me that i have to wait so long to play these. *sigh*
But isn't it the same with any game, be it AAA, indie, etc.? Like Transistor was revealed last March, so that a year and a few months people had to wait to finally play it.

I just think following Kickstarters are harder because you might be personally invested as a backer and be more anxious for news and updates

Even I backed Universim, mainly for the potential and scope and visual style, I've never played a god game. Decided to rectify that and finally picked up Toma's favorite Reus. Hope I enjoy it, all the past impressions in the forums here sounded great

A game featured all the way back in the October thread is finally out on Steam

Farsky - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
ss_bf98397f906076a8fdc83aeb597cff959d4d65f7.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/286340/

With FarSky, you take the role of Nathan who got lost in the Ocean after the crash of his submarine. You need to learn how to survive in the depths of the Ocean.
Use the environment to gather resources, build a base to refill your oxygen and manage all your items, craft equipment and weapons to explore and protect yourself in the Ocean depths, create an in-base farm or go fish hunting to feed yourself,...

Trial By Viking - ????
screenshot14.jpg

http://lastlifegames.com/trialbyviking

In this elaborate puzzle platformer, players become a pawn in a game between gods. The winner will control the fate of mankind. Luckily they are not without help. The god, Odin, may grant them power if they can collect enough sunstones along the way. Coming soon to all platforms.

Together - ????
SlowBleakBluetonguelizard.gif

http://togetherthegame.com/

Together is a two player co-op game focused on player interaction and interdependence. You solve puzzles and complete coordination challenges. Interdependence is the center of every level of the game. Interaction is what makes Together fun and unique

Vox - $9.99 (PC)
aF8y4tY.gif

http://www.vox-game.com/

A voxel based adventure and RPG. Vox is a highly customizable game where you can create, destroy, edit and build anything you desire. The whole world, every item and object within it, and even the characters and inhabitants of Vox are created using a custom 'Voxel Engine' that allows for an unparalleled level of creativity.

Scion - ????
0wOphYk.gif

https://twitter.com/TylerPackmule

Scion is a tactical, squad based monster battling game with strong RPG elements.

CrossCode - Free browser demo
G8ZvX8f.gif

http://www.cross-code.com/en/about

CrossCode combines retro-style 2D graphics with the unique theme of throwing energy balls at everything.

Crossing The Line - PC, Linux, PS4, Xbox One
screenshot_street.jpg

http://zomboko.com/

"Crossing The Line" - mystical First-Person Shooter about a man who begins to fight with evil in order to rescue his beloved.
As a result of the terrorist attack that resulted in the death of a large number of people, at that time the wife of the head of the investigation department of the police died. After this situation, he was dismissed, and this case was closed for unknown reasons. A few years later, he started to see a lot of strange dreams, in one of which he sees the death of his wife and hears her cries for help. Realizing that no one would believe him, he decides to investigate the matter alone and save his beloved in the after world.

Drakk Navis - ????
directlink_BmKH7wMCMAE5VDE.png%3Alarge.png

https://twitter.com/DrakkNavis

The epic myth-racing-battle-ship game.

CubeGun - Free demo (PC, Mac)
y2pNhRJdQfusHWTqsG_aekiVY6yKg4kLer0sn97K2M-EfNeepK8E5c5a5BbeXyCqCf0wRbRs49HCOICSk8tvWHkWFMfbH7Gwep6eO-0hO0c5j8

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=251925916

A Sandbox Air-Ship Shooting Game
Design your own battle ship with weapons, armors, functional devices In a cube based editor.

TerraTech - ????
directlink_BmJrTnPIQAA2GbG.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://terratechgame.com/

TerraTech is the ultimate exploration and combat game. Procedurally generated worlds and an almost limitless array of vehicle design and customisation make for a unique experience for every player. Make your vehicles as big, small, powerful, useful or just plain crazy as you like – the choice is yours. Ally yourself with one corporation and rise through the ranks to profit and glory, or hedge your bets and cherry ­pick from a range of them, accessing powerful new technologies but risking more of your cash reserves to support their different energy sources.

Previously Mentioned

Blood Alloy: Reborn

Rogue Stars - PC, Mac, Linux
directlink_BmK3gRnCIAAehkL.png%3Alarge.png

http://roguestarsgame.com/en/home.php

In May '45, while the allied troops are reaching Berlin, the Nazi party flees Earth aboard a fleet of experimental flying saucers, leaving only an handful of clones and doubles to withstand the allies wrath. As a group of elite secret agents from various nations, you have to fly a captured nazi spaceship around the galaxy, in the quest destroy the nazi colonies and their corrupt leaders. The ultimate goal is to find and eliminate Hitler himself.

Untitled game - ????

Previously Mentioned

Oblitus

Witchmarsh

Eidolon

-Winnie-

Hope it's okay to post my own game.

Hazumino - $0.99 (iOS/Android)
Gp8gfbI.png

http://www.samuraipunk.com/hazumino

Run, jump and build your way to new worlds and high scores in Hazumino, the game that combines relentless endless-runner with tricky block puzzle gameplay! Play with a range of characters in cool worlds, compete against your friends and become a Hazumino master!
(Free demo also available, look for "Hazumino Lite")

-Winnie-

Devs on Witchmarsh Kickstarter

---

Looks cool
I bumped the TA thread, will definitely be checking this out tonight

Thanks! Hope you have fun!

Oh, and just a heads up the game was slowly rolling out around the world as per Apple's release schedule, but I think it's out in most territories now! :D

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
HEX (the trading card kickstarter last year) is surprisingly good. They are still missing the SP content, but the cards, combos and battle system in place is very fun already.

daydream

Banned
My vote for the month of April (and if you're reading this and writing up something of your own, check out Mizuonawa and Mini Metro!). The links lead to posts where I wrote about these (and other) games:

Luftrausers
Escape Goat 2
Mini Metro
Gang Beasts
Meltdown
Krautscape
Museum of Parallel Art
Mizuonawa
Towerfall Ascension
Betrayer

---

So anyway, Frog Sord plays as promisingly as it looks. The movement feels pretty intuitive, and I didn't see anything that a raccoon wouldn't be able to accomplish. I think we can be reasonably happy with the outcome of that whole affair (= getting a new incarnation of Frog Sord + an interesting post-mortem).

Indie Action is pretty cool. I played through the nine stages of Adventure mode with Kaltos and it was alright, but the bad AI makes this a MP-only game, imo. Sprites and animation are well done, the different attacks are neat. It looks like the dev had to cut four characters he had previously announced, though, Runman, The Kid, Trilby and Duvalier. A shame the first three didn't make it (as playable characters, anyway, I'll tell you that their sprites still found their way into this). He did put in Madotsuki from Yume Nikki in, though, so that's nine characters in total.

My vote for the month of April (and if you're reading this and writing up something of your own, check out Mizuonawa and Mini Metro!). The links lead to posts where I wrote about these (and other) games:

I can reiterate your recommendation, Mizuonawa and Mini Metro are worth the time to check them.

Tried out Mini Metro. The mechanics are done well and it's nice mix of minimal style with puzzle/strategy. Maybe I just need to spend more time with the game but it didn't really click with me. That said, the visual style is great and captures that subway route map aesthetic nicely
---
I'm playing the upcoming RocketsRocketsRockets (releasing this week) and while it is very very bare-bones (something the developer himself admitted), the core mechanics are very fun and fast. It really feels like you're controlling a barely in-control rocket (in a good way, the controls are tight but loose enough to feel wild and intense), and whole visual style is very appealing, with the twirling, twisting, sweeping vector lines you and your projectiles leave in their wake. RRR has a very Luftrausers feel, as you circle and strafe your opponent, deftly avoiding missiles, leaving a trail of mines to intercept an enemy, rushing headlong and releasing a hailstorm of bombs.

The devs are going to be adding a lot
Single player trials/campaign
Co-op mode
3- or 4-player couch play
Online multiplayer
Rocket customization
Player mods/steam workshop
Better keyboard support
Achievements and Trading Cards
A better brain for Stanley (poor Stanley!)
New AI Personalities
New game modes

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toma, now's your time to make a Cubesis thread
It's the new IGS deal

No excuses anymore. Thanks for the headsup.

And everyone here, buy this. Seriously. Reposting post 2 of this thread:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| 6. Addendum - Most and totally supersayjajin-level undeservedly overlooked game in march that barely anyone played and you should totally give a look |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am using my thread creator powers to post, once again, about Cubesis ($4,99), until you guys either damn it to hell and give me feedback that my gaming taste is rotting or agree with me that its a lovely game (or any middleground).

Cubesis_2014-02-20_11-15-04-27.png

http://www.desura.com/games/cubesis

My initial impressions:
I am enjoying this game immensely because of its level structure. I expected more of a simulation type game, but what it feels like is more of a very accessable turn based puzzle game with simulation game mechanics. Its hard to describe, because Cubesis is quite... unusual and wacky (in a good way). You are building buildings, growing crops and terraforming the land by sacrificing your villagers, which you are gaining via keeping your city healthy, supported with food, not flooded and not frozen over. The game mechanics are rather simple while also offering enough depth to be interesting, for example taking care of the temperature or sea level by appeasing gods to allow for walking on the ground of the sea or to water fields to allow for growing crops.
Cubesis is quite a bit less complex than "proper" simulation games, but the Cubesis developers knew how to play to their strength. Instead of a huge focus on randomized Free Play (where they cant possibly compete with something like Banished which is way more intricate, but is still being offered as an extra level), they have 24 levels (including the tutorial levels) that need to be conquered and I am incredibly enjoying terraforming the land to achieve the goals set in each level. Banished is very likely the objectively better game, but for the time being and until I solve all the levels, I am enjoying Cubesis quite a bit more. I checked it out yesterday and couldnt stop playing until 4 hours later.

And an amateurish YT video I made of the gameplay with some control explanations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBhqVvF-O6E

Toma

Not sure when its in, but I finally replied to the Black Ice dev, which means my evil corporation should be in the game soon. If you find it, post a picture :p

Concerning Freedom Planet...

I remember playing that demo. Good to hear this game is still kicking! Somebody's gotta take up the slack for Sonic team, and you guys seem to be doing it expertly. (Also, apologies for dropping the S-word, you're probably sick of hearing it. :p)
The current release date for FP is at the end of May, so if things go well on Galaxytail's end, everyone will get to experience that phenomenal game.

And I'm not exaggerating, I've played the beta, and Freedom Planet could potentially be my GOTY, and one of the best platformers of the decade. It's just so well designed, and packed to the brim with heart and soul. To say it's a true evolution of 2D Sonic (albeit an offshoot) would not be an exaggeration, it stands up superbly with the Genesis titles and, in some respects, surpasses them.

Seriously, I'm a little annoyed that this title isn't getting more exposure, because it's not even complete yet and I'm already content to say that it makes most games released over the past few years feel like garbage by comparison.

daydream

Banned
Concerning Freedom Planet...

The current release date for FP is at the end of May, so if things go well on Galaxytail's end, everyone will get to experience that phenomenal game.

And I'm not exaggerating, I've played the beta, and Freedom Planet could potentially be my GOTY, and one of the best platformers of the decade. It's just so well designed, and packed to the brim with heart and soul. To say it's a true evolution of 2D Sonic (albeit an offshoot) would not be an exaggeration, it stands up superbly with the Genesis titles and, in some respects, surpasses them.

Seriously, I'm a little annoyed that this title isn't getting more exposure, because it's not even complete yet and I'm already content to say that it makes most games released over the past few years feel like garbage by comparison.

Sounds exciting, thanks! Re: exposure - IndieGAF always spreads the word on games it feels are overlooked and deserving of more attention. Obviously there's not a lot we can do, but raising awareness on GAF should count for something, I hope.

That said, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Looks awesome.

Have you had the chance to play Endless Legend yourself, yet, Panda?

Not yet, I'm planning to buy it next month if my family finances get better. There are some opinions on the thread I created for EL as welll in the Steam thread.

The trailer Jobbs released did an amazing job as passing the main influences he gas to create the game, Dark Souls and Metroid.

Toma

Going to give away 10-20 IGS keys for Cubesis in the Cubesis thread, if anyone wants to join the fun (and post impressions afterwards), let me know over in the Cubesis thread.

Ok, I didn't notice it on the OP, so I'll post here:

So 100% Orange Juice is coming soon, it is a nice card game that you play on a board. Tiles select what you do as your action and you roll dice to move. It is an interesting mixture.
I'm no good at reviews as you might notice so check the game's page and you'll see that it is fairly easy to grasp to concept.

Toma

Ok, I didn't notice it on the OP, so I'll post here:

So 100% Orange Juice is coming soon, it is a nice card game that you play on a board. Tiles select what you do as your action and you roll dice to move. It is an interesting mixture.
I'm no good at reviews as you might notice so check the game's page and you'll see that it is fairly easy to grasp to concept.

Not 100% (lol) sure, but I think we featured it in one of the past months already. Thanks for jumping in here though :) I'll check if it was already included or not.

Prison Architect was updated today and one of the new features is maybe the coolest yet. Essentially there are fail states now (uncontrollable riot = revoke contract and national guard called in, too many deaths, too many escapes, etc.)

You can also get a criminal negligence state and then...this is the cool part: you get sentenced to ten years in your own jail. So now you have control over your character, you're taken to your cell, and now can roam around your prison as a prisoner. I really hope the devs expand on this. It's practically two games in one now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom