• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [August] Now Voting - Post 353!

Would love Dex impressions.

Twelve Minutes sounds awesome. Drift Stage continues to look amazeballs.

Also, early IndieGAF favourite Morphopolis is on Steam now.
Devs will be sending out keys soon so I should have impressions later this week or early next.

Someone pointed this out in the Discussuon forum, but the Dex devs do a great job at breaking down exactly what content is currently available, compared to other EA pages

Burt

MB, I missed your Rex Rocket posts on the last page, but if you're still playing, I found that the rate at which you can mash the fire button actually helps tremendously in boss fights. Like, I'm playing on a controller and used to just tap it at a reasonable rate, but I started really leaning into it and wearing my thumb out, and it made a noticeable difference for the bosses.

Game can be so hard, but it feels so good when you actually get it down and beat a segment. That third boss. Ugh. Mmm. Ugh. Yeah!

I still have mixed emotions about it.

Looking forward to the Dex impressions.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Will you be posting impressions later so we can experience the awesomeness vicariously?

Sooo, here we go:

I didnt check out much in the Indie corner, because the Indie corner is mostly already released or relatively uninteresting games. I got in really early though and managed to sneak into the Oculus booth and check out all 3 games (They were quick to point me toward the exit after I played one of the demos, but I sneakily walked to all 3 demo stations and tried all of them, because there was not much going on for a few minutes).

3 demos: Super Hot, A Mario style 3D game, a diving game

The diving game was a dud. My sincere sympathies for anyone who chose the diving game, which was a 3 minute demo in a really small environment where you basically couldnt do much other than swim to a small plane in the see and swim around it. Kinda cool to look around, but utterly failed as a tech demo.

The jump&run was more interesting and surprisingly well made. Basically a carbon copy of the mario games, but some cool elements that were swinging back and forth and when the camera moved around the map, I actually felt like my body was moving forward, which was kinda cool and creepy at the same time. Motion tracking for throwing bombs, otherwise standard jump&run controls, but the diorama style 3D games are pretty interesting in their own right. Unfortunately, the lowish resolution was incredibly obvious in this game, which annoyed me heavily. Funnily enough, I didnt have that issue in the other two demos.

SUPER HOT. SUPER. HOT. Easily the best demo, but unfortunately rather short as well. They chose a 2 stage demo in the environment with the shattered glass on the right side and some dudes standing behind it. In the first level, they had guns, and you had to evade the normal shot bullets until the middle of the room, where you grab the gun and then shoot people in the head. The second level was the same layout, but with a shotgun dude in the middle, who was shooting multiple unpredictable projectiles, which made the level a lot more interesting since you needed to plan and evade the projectiles more carefully. The 3D integration in Super Hot was the best I could imagine, since Super Hot requires you to actively look at and follow the path of a projectile. Seeing those in 3D, and seeing them zip past your head (I stood there quite a few times, just looking around me and seeing the bullets fly) was really, really damn impressing. There are a few issues with that though, as you dont have a "head", which a few times made it really hard to figure out whether a bullet might hit you or not. Technically, the normal game has the same problem, but in 3D I was more "in the action", which made it seem a bit more jarring if my head wasnt fine with what happened in front of my eyes, I guess. So yeah, game is looking great mechanically, challenging with plenty of stuff that other games havent done in that way yet, 3D and head tracking is an actual gameplay feature that helps you playing the game and I didnt have any weird resolution issues. Very fun stuff.

Oh and the best moment:
A bullet came towards me, but I was rather sure I would dodge it, so I didnt care much about that particular bullet. Then, the bullet hit a vase, shattered the vase and changed its projectory. I instinctly ducked (like actual real life ducking), because the bullet surprised and seemed to threaten me instinctively. That was my "3D works"- moment.

Overall, I was a bit underwhelmed by the 3D in general, because it didnt feel as mindblowing as I hoped it would be. But I guess that works in favor of the tech, as it probably felt more "natural" than mindblowing, especially in the first person demos. Oh one other thing: I am heavily affected by motion sickness usually, and this version of the Rift didnt affect me! Huge surprise for me, and very very cool, which means I am now definitely also in the market of a 3D headset.

Bonus:
sOJ4wUr.jpg

Game can be so hard, but it feels so good when you actually get it down and beat a segment. That third boss. Ugh. Mmm. Ugh. Yeah!

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the fourth boss makes the earlier three look like Kirby enemies by comparison. I've burnt through a solid twenty lives and still not toppled him (although I've been mockingly close at times).

Burt

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the fourth boss makes the earlier three look like Kirby enemies by comparison. I've burnt through a solid twenty lives and still not toppled him (although I've been mockingly close at times).

HOLY FUCK WHAT IS UP WITH THAT FOURTH BOSS

I think I just lasted 6 seconds on that first try. Possibly had a seizure as well. Also, related,
is there a fast travel point near there I missed? That's an incredibly lengthy run up that already has me worried for my inevitable next continue.

I just beat the third level on Teleglitch: Dei More Edition, and I decided to save and be done with it for this night, this game keep me tense every damn moment.

TrickRoom

Copy Kitty - Free
ScentedDisguisedHound.gif

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201935809

Copy Kitty is a Shooter/Platformer hybrid of Gunstar Heroes and Kirby 64. Collect and combine weapons to mow down enemies, and fill the screen with spectacular fireworks!

It was such a pain to get an appropriate gif to show for this game. All of the static screenshots and highly compressed Youtube videos out there really don't do this game justice. This game is rough, messy, and beautiful all at the same time. There's also a few better but longer ones below that I'll be kind to spare bandwidth and link:

http://giant.gfycat.com/IndolentAptBonobo.gif
http://giant.gfycat.com/ThirdMiniatureEquestrian.gif

The idea of playing a game with that strapped to my head and swiveling my head around like a crazy person...I just don't see the appeal. The promise of increased immersion doesn't outweigh that aspect for me just yet
You and I both. I mean I want VR to be successful since it allows a new way to play games but, to me at least, it seems like too much of an exclusionist device to really appeal to me.

You and I both. I mean I want VR to be successful since it allows a new way to play games but, to me at least, it seems like too much of an exclusionist device to really appeal to me.
Maybe when the hardware gets all "Apple-fied" and they're sleek and smaller, but besides the limited appeal, it also seems too bulky. Not something I'd want on my head for extended periods of time

On a slightly related aside, that "Favorite Poster" thread (thanks for the shoutouts :D) really made realize why I like the NeoGAF community so much. Compared to every other forum I've been on, GAF has a communal atmosphere that none of the others had. Sure you have some jerks, but for the most part, the members here have been friendly, generous, and just cool people. It says something when some people have been members for 10 years and are still posting here. And of course IndieGAF is the best

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Maybe when the hardware gets all "Apple-fied" and they're sleek and smaller, but besides the limited appeal, it also seems too bulky. Not something I'd want on my head for extended periods of time

I was always "interested" at least, but for most people this stuff is always more interesting to try than to hear about it. Its kinda neat when you notice how you are physically reacting to something in a videogame, just because the game "seems" to be more real. Baddy would go hot over the Super Hot Demo, pretty sure.

I was always "interested" at least, but for most people this stuff is always more interesting to try than to hear about it. Its kinda neat when you notice how you are physically reacting to something in a videogame, just because the game "seems" to be more real. Baddy would go hot over the Super Hot Demo, pretty sure.
At an expo or something, it would definitely be cool. SuperHOT demo with Oculus, hell yeah. But playing an entire 6, 10-hour game with that thing on my head...not so hot IMO

Oh, so did you see or get to play any other cool games or stuff we'd probably like/have been anticipating?

Nabs

Have you guys seen this game called Ronin? It's an early game that looks a lot like a ninja version of Gunpoint. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks pretty good so far.

Download here: http://teedoubleu.itch.io/ronin
Reddit thread here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/2d8ad6/making_a_gunpoint_ripoff/
And Tom Francis (Gunpoint) does a playthrough of the game: http://www.pentadact.com/2014-08-12-its-time-i-did-something-about-this-gunpoint-ripoff/#more-7436

edit: Well, I see it was posted back in May. But hey, you can still go watch the playthrough by Tom Francis!

Toma

I don't think has been posted yet, has it?

[IMG=162x108]http://www.zombienightterror.com/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/1.png[/IMG]

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=42728.0 Devlog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqAPxfhbnxE Trailer.

Seriously lovely visuals. Sorry if I've posted this all wrong. I'm a first-timer but the peeps making this game are trying to get the word out (I don't know 'em and no, there's no Kickstarter they're trying to get money for).

The picture link doesnt work, plus the size tag cant be used on GAF.

Edit: Wow, you're quick.

I picked up Ziggurat yesterday, even though I told myself I would be staying away from early access and roguelike games for while.

Like many roguelike games released these days it's a hybrid, the game is a fast paced FPS with wizard powers. You start out with a wand, it's pea shooter with infinite ammo and then you pick up more powerful weapons as you progress though the game. After killing enemies they drop experience gems that you have to pickup before disappearing, this ensures that you stay mobile while mowing down your enemies. You can complete challenges that will unlock extra characters, weapons and perks when you die or complete the game.

The game is a little on the short side (~40 minutes from start to finish), which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't so light on content. There is some decent variety with the enemies, but the rooms start to get a little samey after awhile. Hopefully they start fleshing out some of the encounters and add a few more weapons and perks to the game.

Anyways, it's pretty fun game with a lot of potential.

Just finished Level 5 of DROD 1. Game is seriously kicking my ass. Took me 3 hours to crack level 5, and I don't wanna know how much to get down there.

If you are looking for a hard core puzzle game (that isn't Spacechem), I'd highly recommend it.

drod.jpg

Admittedly I don't check out these threads as much as I should (that's going to change soon though), so I haven't check all of the previous threads for this but is there any indie game that is the most similar in terms of combat and difficulty to dark souls?(and is an RPG)

Yes, My Grace - ????
tumblr_inline_naal3mSeQW1slh32g.gif

http://yesmygrace.com/

From a land ruled by folklore, noble endeavors and political intrigues, we present to you "Yes, My Grace" - a unique blend of text-based decision making with strategic conquest.

Farewell, Brother - Free (PC)
58kVGC.gif

http://spacetreasure.itch.io/farewellbrother

Farewell, Brother is a small game for two players about woodpeckers and sibling rivalry. Climb, dodge and peck your way to victory on an endless tower of blocks. New modes to come, including 'down the hatch'. Enjoy!

Into Blue Valley - late 2014 (PC, Mac, Linux)
UT9CuQe.png

http://www.kuchalu.co.uk/#!into-blue-valley/c1gh6

Into Blue Valley is a narrative driven, first-person, open-world exploration game drawing upon themes of mystery and suspense. It is presented as a ‘found footage’ game with the player’s view resembling a VCR Recorder capturing footage of the abandoned, subdued environment that is being explored.

OBEY - ????
obey_15.gif

http://obeygame.com/

OBEY is a competitive multiplayer action game where you get to coerce your opponents to do things against their own self interest (and in your interest). You win by using stealth, intelligence, trickery, and creativity

Last Refuge - PC, Mac
ifZFnY8.png

http://toastersquirrel.com/last-refuge/

2D platforming multiplayer action RPG
Awaken on the Last Refuge, an island floating above a mysterious and dangerous world. Play alone, or take some friends dungeon diving. Beware, stranger. Something stirs below the surface.

Previously Mentioned

Hardline Gunner - new alpha demo

Reassembly - previously titled Gamma Void

Beacon

Lemma

Blood Alloy: Reborn

Interstellaria - Now you can just land your ship on planets

The Tank Game

Haunted

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but Vagante is on Kickstarter now, $50k goal. I know quite a few people in this thread mentioned they liked the demo. I hope the game makes the goal, it really does have a ton of potential.
I came in here to check if someone had mentioned that already, been playing the latest alpha on and off the last couple days, and it has potential!

The kickstarter and latest alpha are probably worth its own thread if someone wants to make the effort and help out these guys.

Jazu - It's an interactive story where you "control" a bartender and "hear" the dialog exchange between the two other characters. Hear is between quotation marks because there aren't any dialog at all, you just see the images and assume what happened. It's very short but may be worth to check it.

baseless - I like the visuals a lot but I don't think there is a lot to offer in it's current state. I kept shooting at the scarf worm thing and besides repelling it nothing happened.

Enterchained - This one is very interesting, I had to play it as single player but I can see it having more appeal playing with a partner. The art is nicely done and the gameplay is simple but functional, drag your chains to trip the enemies then execute them as you pass the enemies waves different enemies start to appear. I noticed there are items to unlock for the next run, so it add some replayability for this game.

Toma

Cosmochoria update, hmmmm.

Hey M_B, have you had the chance to check out Dex, yet?
Only about 20-30 minutes. I think, at the moment, it's best to hold out for now

The high point is that they absolutely nailed the atmosphere and world. It's a place I want to explore and learn more about.

But the controls and gameplay seems kind of finicky and need more tuning. There's an emphasis on melee, but I didn't find the melee that enjoyable, rather tedious. Stealth is not rarely well implemented yet.

There's a ton of promise and potential, the cyberpunk world is awesome, and there's a lot of depth in terms of augmentations and upgrades. But the game needs more work and content

Eldritch now has achievements, trading cards and a new challenge mode called Asylum of Azathoth. It's also on sale today for $2.99.

Here is a blog post from the developer announcing and discussing the additions.

Top Bottom