• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [October] Now Voting - Post 280!

Moobabe

Best answer.

Usually, people like Baddy, post the most interesting stuff from other channels here, saving me and Toma Bot a shit load of time

(<3)

You're both the heroes we need.

But maybe don't deserve

Oh god - top of the page

Kickstart The Black Glove!

You're both the heroes we need.

But maybe don't deserve

Oh god - top of the page

Kickstart The Black Glove!
Kickstart The Flame in the Flood!

Pretty cool to see such inventive and unique titles coming from Irrational talent. To steal a cliched phrase, every cloud has a silver lining

Moobabe

Kickstart The Flame in the Flood!

Pretty cool to see such inventive and unique titles coming from Irrational talent. To steal a cliched phrase, every cloud has a silver lining

Yeah I agree - super excited to see what (if anything) Ken Levine cooks up next as well.

daydream

Banned
Flame in the Flood reminds me of Dead Year's failed campaign.

DY is still alive, though, apparently. Seems like they switched to 3D models now which is.. a disappointing decision.

Hey Baddie, you got any impressions of Team Indie? I noticed you own it on the steams. I got like five 20% off vouchers for it and it looks like something I might enjoy but it is always a worry that a game that is cameo city might be more style over substance.

Flame in the Flood reminds me of Dead Year's failed campaign.

DY is still alive, though, apparently. Seems like they switched to 3D models now which is.. a disappointing decision.
Oh, I didn't realize it was still being made
deadyears07.jpg
deadyears06.jpg

deadyears05.jpg
deadyears04.jpg
Honestly, I actually prefer this. Always thought the game was too reminiscent of Zomboid. So many games go for the isometric perspective (Dead State, I Shall Remain, Zomboid, How To Survive, etc.) or first person, that a 3D third person zombie game stands out IMO. Dead Rising, State of Decay, DayZ in third person...and those are the only ones I can think of

Hey Baddie, you got any impressions of Team Indie? I noticed you own it on the steams. I got like five 20% off vouchers for it and it looks like something I might enjoy but it is always a worry that a game that is cameo city might be more style over substance.
Haven't played it yet. Will check it out today. But the cat theme seems really weird, incongruous from the trailer

daydream

Banned
Oh, I didn't realize it was still being made

Honestly, I actually prefer this. Always thought the game was too reminiscent of Zomboid. So many games go for the isometric perspective (Dead State, I Shall Remain, Zomboid, How To Survive, etc.) or first person, that a 3D third person zombie game stands out IMO. Dead Rising, State of Decay, DayZ in third person...and those are the only ones I can think of

It looked nothing like the other 2D games, though. It looked different and way better than all of them combined. It still looks fine but, well, my 3D third person zombie game fatigue is generally more advanced whereas with the isometric perspective, I was still waiting for a game that appealed to me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It looked nothing like the other 2D games, though. It looked different and way better than all of them combined. It still looks fine but, well, my 3D third person zombie game fatigue is generally more advanced whereas with the isometric perspective, I was still waiting for a game that appealed to me.

Which other 3D third person zombie survival games did you play?

daydream

Banned
Which other 3D third person zombie survival games did you play?

The ones M_B mentioned and some others. They don't have to be strictly surival-focused games to add to the fatigue. Like I said, the game still looks interesting but it lost some of its uniqueness.

OnPoint

So we're in our last week for the Buffalo Game Space kickstarter, and I'm trying to come up with ideas to get some traction. I know that the last few days of a Kickstarter are valuable to the success of the project. We have some ways to go (just under 15,000 of 40,000 requested) and it doesn't feel impossible so long as we get something going.

Any ideas? I put up a thread on TIGSource but I have no idea how that's going to go. I'll probably put up a thread here at some point, too.

rybrad

So we're in our last week for the Buffalo Game Space kickstarter, and I'm trying to come up with ideas to get some traction. I know that the last few days of a Kickstarter are valuable to the success of the project. We have some ways to go (just under 15,000 of 40,000 requested) and it doesn't feel impossible so long as we get something going.

Any ideas? I put up a thread on TIGSource but I have no idea how that's going to go. I'll probably put up a thread here at some point, too.
Your links are busted on there FYI. Both of them but the more important Kickstarter one is http://"https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986200402/buffalo-game-space"

OnPoint

Your links are busted on there FYI. Both of them but the more important Kickstarter one is http://"https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986200402/buffalo-game-space"

Thanks! It auto-added all sorts of stuff in the links. Took a little finangling to fix. Weird.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks! It auto-added all sorts of stuff in the links. Took a little finangling to fix. Weird.

Dont we have someone from IndieGames.com here? Who was the poster? Maybe they wouldnt mind a shoutout.

Would you guys consider Styx an indie game? Wasn't sure if I should include or not

Dustbowl - 2015 (PC)
Bar.jpg

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dustbowl-a-wasteland-adventure

A post-apocalyptic survival point'n'click
You are just another face trying to survive the aftermath of a terrible event which shook the world. With your father you have made the Hub your home, an underground shelter that protects what's left of civilization from the horrors that roam in the ruins above. But soon you will be tested, soon you will have to leave your home and enter the wastes!

Amphora - November (PC, Mac)
amphora-1.jpg

http://moondrop.no/amphora

Amphora is a peculiar puzzle game that mix story elements and physics. Amphora presents you with an unfamiliar world with a striking visual style inspired by all the shadow theatre traditions and colors of the world.

Heart & Slash - $24.99 (PC, Mac)
ss_21b5b9a4b0fd42f37b4176404c342c5471bf8091.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/326840/

Heart&Slash is a 3D brawler that is set in a world where machines are all that remains from the Human civilization.
Make no mistake: Heart&Slash is a hard game. Every death is permanent and means a new randomly generated level for you to start over with a different set of weapons and items you can use, new enemies to fight and secrets to explore.

Styx: Master of Shadows - $29.99 (PC)
ss_cb576dd0248a631777d26a60992fe3f95fe63f20.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242640/

Styx: Master of Shadows is an infiltration game with RPG elements taking place in a dark fantasy universe, where you sneak, steal and assassinate your way through as Styx, a Goblin two-centuries of age.

The Hive - $18.99 (PC)
637x358.resizedimage

http://store.steampowered.com/app/325730/

The Hive is a new story-driven fantasy game. Gorgeous music and a beautiful visual design takes you to planet of New Eden. There you assume control as the Insectoid Hive mind and face the challenges ahead. How long can you survive?

Secret of Escape - $3.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Gameplay2.gif.gif

http://gamepopper.co.uk/games/2014-2/secret-of-escape/

Imagine being trapped in a game, a game you are forced to play because it means your life, a game being controlled by an insane and unknown individual who loves to see a challenge. This is you, and the host is Dyer. You have been strapped with explosives and the only way to avoid them setting off is to reach each checkpoint, while avoiding deadly obstacles that are either made to kill you, or hunt you. There is only one hint to your freedom, a secret. You must find the secret of escape if you are to survive Dyer&#8217;s Game.

Luminoso - $6.49 (PC, Mac)
screenshot-04.png

http://luminoso.blizzy.de/

Luminoso is a puzzle game with laser beams. The goal of each puzzle is to make all laser beams hit the receiver pieces of their respective color.

Toma

Would you guys consider Styx an indie game? Wasn't sure if I should include or not

If you are unsure, I am fine with including it. Might drop it if I have some space constraints and more interesting small Indie stuff, but sure, why not. We also featured some Paradox Games in the past.

If you are unsure, I am fine with including it. Might drop it if I have some space constraints and more interesting small Indie stuff, but sure, why not. We also featured some Paradox Games in the past.
Cool. I'm enjoying it so I thought it was worth featuring in one of the OPs. Assassin's Creed could learn a few things from this stealth game

Toma

Heey, me too. Despite it being as janky as most Cyanide games, I am really liking my time with that little green monster.

I'd love some more impressions on it from you guys.

Toma

4TwdpQG.gif

And I never knew Zachtronics made Infiniminer

Considering Infiniminer spawned a whole subgenre of digging and crafting games, it blew my mind too once I found out.

So I download some games from the OP and now I only need to find time to play them!
Why I do keep playing games with long campaigns is beyond me, damn you Dragon Age: Origins

I'd love some more impressions on it from you guys.

Sure, I've put about 3 hours into it and I am really liking it. It is a nice mix of fairly traditional stealth games in the concept of staying hidden is vital and more modern games where you can move through the environments fairly rapidly. The end results is this game where you are constantly very close to being caught but if you time your movements just right you can slip through these complex logic traps of guard routes and hiding places. It gives the game a good sense of impish glee which works well since you are a goblin.

Styx does carry the curse of bring a Cyanide game which basically means it can be jank overload at times. The story feels somewhere between 'too complex for the amount of lines of dialog' and 'mistranslation' which makes the entire plot feel weird, the graphics can be very ugly in places, the combat's awful, the jumping can be unstable at times and their are constantly weird issues that although don't break the game should have been fixed. However, the more I play the less I am bothered by the issues and the more I just enjoy being a goblin.

So, I would say, 'hey if you can put up with a bit of oddness and want to play a game which is kinda a mix of Assassin's Creed without the combat and fast a Thief then you might really like Styx.

Very exciting news, it looks like a full game version of some of the more industrial focused Minecraft mods. Full circle.

Toma

Very exciting news, it looks like a full game version of some of the more industrial focused Minecraft mods. Full circle.

I'll be there day -150 (aka "when its on early access").

And thanks for the impressions, sounds like something I should try eventually, probably gonna wait on a ps4 deal somewhere.

Toma

Mobile Recommendation (from me, shocking, I know):
Terra Battle:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909650
Terra Battle is a free-to-play mobile game by Mistwalker. It features game design by Hironobu Sakaguchi and music by Nobuo Uematsu, both of Final Fantasy fame, and artwork by Kimihiko Fujisaka, of The Last Story and Drakengard fame. Other well-known artists are scheduled to contribute content according to the Download Starter.

Its an SRPG Puzzle hybrid and just plain fun. Plenty of depth and challenge to the positioning aspect which works as pretty interesting puzzles that are as hard as you want them to be (more on that later) and the general RPG grind/upgrade hook. The game is free to play, but it really seems like you dont need to spend money to get something out of it. Additionally, you get 5 free energy after the first chapter (5 missions) and 5 more if you enter the code "dhth66nWXVCbjdTC" in the game. Took me 2 rerolls (deleting game data via settings on android, NOT the install) to get a few decent chars from my free rolls and been playing since then.

This is what you'll be doing most of the time:
Photo-2014-09-09-23-21-54-300x532.jpg

Every turn you can choose one of your characters, which you need to position strategically on the board. If you corner an opponent with 2 of your units, they attack and make damage. However, there is two things to consider here (going back to the "as difficult as you want it to be"-thing, which actually make this very fun to play):
1. You get bonusses for lining up your characters during an attack, meaning you always need to keep in mind all of your characters for the best attack/support combos and successfully planning and pulling off a combo with all of your characters feels VERY rewarding.
2. You can only move one character every turn, BUT you can affect your other characters during your move, effectively pushing away your allies to get them in a good position. This leads to a lot of possibly strategies and positioning changes before you start the attack and is a very rewarding puzzle to figure out.

Lovely game, recommended.

Speaking of mobile games, 80 Days is supposed to be releasing on Android "soon". So you won't have to wait much longer to check that out, Toma.

Guess I should check out Terra Battle

---

So do you guys think Infinifactory could surpass Factorio? Personally one thing I liked about Spacechem was its visual simplicity. Spacechem in 3D, running around in first person to build things and maintain different parts of your factory, seems like it could get overly complicated and tedious

Additionally, you get 5 free energy after the first chapter (5 missions) and 5 more if you enter the code "dhth66nWXVCbjdTC" in the game.

Ahh Toma you legend! I did not know about that code at all, cheers. Thanks to you I now got a cool spear lizard on my force.

Toma

So do you guys think Infinifactory could surpass Factorio? Personally one thing I liked about Spacechem was its visual simplicity. Spacechem in 3D, running around in first person to build things and maintain different parts of your factory, seems like it could get overly complicated and tedious

Hard to compare, Factorio is a "build a huge factory with whatever you have"-game, whereas Infinifactory looks to be a constrained puzzle game. Different and both interesting in my book, but we'll know more as soon as it hits Early Access :)

Hard to compare, Factorio is a "build a huge factory with whatever you have"-game, whereas Infinifactory looks to be a constrained puzzle game. Different and both interesting in my book, but we'll know more as soon as it hits Early Access :)
Ah, I didn't get that impression. I was envisioning more of Minecraft/Infinimer + factory building. So Infinifactory will be more puzzle based

Toma

Ah, I didn't get that impression. I was envisioning more of Minecraft/Infinimer + factory building. So Infinifactory will be more puzzle based

Yeah, he specifically mentioned 30 "levels", so I assume its really more like SpaceChem in 3D, based on what I know so far, but who knows!

flowsnake

"positioninging"? :)

I just realised I'm not even subscribed to this thread. The monthly system makes it hard to keep up with several platforms...

Toma

So, energy is only used for rerolls and nothing else?

You use energy to get more characters, but from the OT it seems perfectly valid to take your free first characters and go through the game without spending more money. The actual hook is a timer that limits the amount of time you can play each session, and even though I am not the biggest fan of it, the regeneration of that timer seems rather generous, I easily played 60-90 minutes earlier before I used up my time. 1-2 hours later you'll already have enough time again to play another 60-90 minutes session.

Ooh...don't tell me there's a timer/energy meter...
I can deal with every other F2P element except for timers

As I said, I dislike these as well, but its really generous. Give it a try.

"positioninging"? :)

I just realised I'm not even subscribed to this thread. The monthly system makes it hard to keep up with several platforms...

Goddamnit, you hawkeye. I was in a hurry to scribble that up, corrected :p

The site does mention a sandbox mode though that goes 'beyond the campaign.' So Infinifactory might end up sharing the more open factory building sim of Factorio too,

Toma

The site does mention a sandbox mode though that goes 'beyond the campaign.' So Infinifactory might end up sharing the more open factory building sim of Factorio too,

Good, the more from Zach the better, but still we dont really know enough yet to really make a judgment either way. In Zach, I trust.

daydream

Banned
Thanks guys, I'll probably pass. The timer might be fine now but all it needs is one update to make it unplayable, and I'm not keen on supporting that kind of practice in the first place.

You use energy to get more characters, but from the OT it seems perfectly valid to take your free first characters and go through the game without spending more money. The actual hook is a timer that limits the amount of time you can play each session, and even though I am not the biggest fan of it, the regeneration of that timer seems rather generous, I easily played 60-90 minutes earlier before I used up my time. 1-2 hours later you'll already have enough time again to play another 60-90 minutes session.

As I said, I dislike these as well, but its really generous. Give it a try.

Goddamnit, you hawkeye. I was in a hurry to scribble that up, corrected :p
It has the Toma Seal of Approval, so I'll definitely give it a try

But I guess some people, timers compel them to spend money, but me, I just delete. It's so backwards. "Hey, we want you to keep playing our game so we're going to stop you from playing our game."

Toma

Thanks guys, I'll probably pass. The timer might be fine now but all it needs is one update to make it unplayable, and I'm not keen on supporting that kind of practice in the first place.

Yeah, I see where you are coming from, just saying I am enjoying it enough to throw it in here and I really dont mind one or two decent games on my mobile phone that I can play for a while when I am outside. Hard to find mobile games that fit my criteria.

alllen

Neo Member
So this came out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/326420

I don't recommend it. Though it's only five bucks until October 16 and it might get better as more episodes are released (right now it only has episode one). The gameplay revolves around the player character narrating and you click on objects to hear him talk about it, that's it. No puzzles or anything, you just click on stuff and he talks about it. Oh and he tries to be funny but isn't. Similar game to Gravity Bone, Jazzpunk, and similar other short-form first person adventure games that are light on gameplay.

It's also buggy and unpolished. Voice clips with subtitles will play over each other, the footstep sound will play even when you aren't moving during cut-scenes and other pauses. Alt tab freezes the game sometimes, and there are no in-game options of any sort. This guy made The Tower which is equally as buggy and unpolished if not more so, so there's that.

It's a game with potential. If he polishes it a bit more and fixes all the bugs and writes actually funny dialogue it would be something I'd recommend. But in it's current state it's a pass.

Toma

So this came out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/326420

I don't recommend it. Though it's only five bucks until October 16 and it might get better as more episodes are released (right now it only has episode one). The gameplay revolves around the player character narrating and you click on objects to hear him talk about it, that's it. No puzzles or anything, you just click on stuff and he talks about it. Oh and he tries to be funny but isn't. Similar game to Gravity Bone, Jazzpunk, and similar other short-form first person adventure games that are light on gameplay.

It's also buggy and unpolished. Voice clips with subtitles will play over each other, the footstep sound will play even when you aren't moving during cut-scenes and other pauses. Alt tab freezes the game sometimes, and there are no in-game options of any sort. This guy made The Tower which is equally as buggy and unpolished if not more so, so there's that.

It's a game with potential. If he polishes it a bit more and fixes all the bugs and writes actually funny dialogue it would be something I'd recommend. But in it's current state it's a pass.

Thanks for the warning, already looks rather janky from the screens though, what made you pick it up?

Yeah, he specifically mentioned 30 "levels", so I assume its really more like SpaceChem in 3D, based on what I know so far, but who knows!

Well...one of the bullet points does say:
  • BLOCKS THAT MOVE! Go beyond the campaign and push the limits of Infinifactory’s next-generation block engine in the sandbox.

Toma

Well...one of the bullet points does say:
  • BLOCKS THAT MOVE! Go beyond the campaign and push the limits of Infinifactory’s next-generation block engine in the sandbox.

Yeah sure, but that doesnt really tell us anything about that sandbox mode. I am curious to find out though :p

I'll post some updates if I receive something via his newsletter.

Top Bottom