• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [October] Now Voting - Post 280!

SUPERHYPER - $1 (iOS)
Have you seen the new Michael Brough game Helix? I got Helix and SuperHyper on Wednesday night; haven't played SuperHyper much because I felt all the control schemes were unresponsive, but Helix is great. It's arcade action with that distinct Brough style

Oh, and seriously, if you're into IOS games, definitely come hang out in the IOS thread and regale us with impressions (and IndieGames scoops :p)

Thanks! I was sweating it out at the end there. I can't believe we pulled it off. That last minute Kickstarter push is tense as hell!

Hopefully we'll have more projects to feature in these threads in the future :D that's kind of the point I guess haha
Yeah, I've seen a few crazy last day/last hour KS successes. Four Sided Fantasy, Neverending Nightmares, etc.

OnPoint

Have you seen the new Michael Brough game Helix? I got Helix and SuperHyper on Wednesday night; haven't played SuperHyper much because I felt all the control schemes were unresponsive, but Helix is great. It's arcade action with that distinct Brough style

Oh, and seriously, if you're into IOS games, definitely come hang out in the IOS thread and regale us with impressions (and IndieGames scoops :p)

Yeah, I've seen a few crazy last day/last hour KS successes. Four Sided Fantasy, Neverending Nightmares, etc.

I felt like the controls in SH took a little getting used to, that was for sure, but once I got them it was OK. I'm not typically into iOS games, but that one came across the desk and I gave it a whirl. I'll check out Helix too. Is it available?

I felt like the controls in SH took a little getting used to, that was for sure, but once I got them it was OK. I'm not typically into iOS games, but that one came across the desk and I gave it a whirl. I'll check out Helix too. Is it available?
Yeah, here's the link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/helix/id562550427
I'm sure you're familiar with Brough's gakes, right? 868-Hack, Zaga 33, Corrypt

Oh, and since you're not typically into IOS games, not sure if you're heard of it or not, but 80 Days is a must play. That and Monument Vallet are my favorite IOS games of 2014 so far
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/80-days/id892812659

Hey Toma, ToME just got a 300MB update.

Release highlights:

• Important bugfixes
  • Many new player doll images
  • Many new toys for addon makers
  • New lore
  • Compatibility update for the upcoming Ashes of Urh'Rok expansion !

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey Toma, ToME just got a 300MB update.

Release highlights:

• Important bugfixes
  • Many new player doll images
  • Many new toys for addon makers
  • New lore
  • Compatibility update for the upcoming Ashes of Urh'Rok expansion !

What am I hearing about an expansion? :-o
*goes of to Google*

Ashes of Urh'Rok will be the first expansion for Tales of Maj'Eyal. The idea for it is old, as is some of the code, but was on hold until I got the few remaining ideas needed, and I have them now!

So rather than delay it until after the Orcs campaign (which is bigger), I have decided to quickly finish it and release it to my minions as soon as possible (which is soon, even if I'll never give a date for a release ;) ).

It is a "small" expansion, comparatively to the orc campaign, yet brings some fun features:

- Play as a Doombringer class, a master of destruction and pain that binds demonic forces to channel power through her massive two handed weapon.

- Unlock the Demonologist class, a sword & board fighter that enhances her battle prowess by summoning demons and grafting them onto her weapons and armour. Powerful demonologists can even call upon the echoes of the Spellblaze itself.

- Play through a new starting zone, the Searing Halls, to escape your demonic masters.

- Survive the abduction attempts from the demons and discover new zones.

- Discover the real reason for the demons' wrath toward Eyal with the various lore pieces to be found.

- Experience the "tinker" system, originally developed for the orcs campaign, that lets you attach items to your equipment.

- Unlock multiple demonic "cosmetic" features for many races.

- Earn new achievements.

- Find new demonic artifacts.

- New custom made music and graphics.

Now my minions, you simply need to wait patiently in line while your local God of Darkness prepares to unleash the Ashes of Urh'Rok upon you!

One last thing my minions, to whet yet another appetite: work has also begun on the class that will eventually replace the Stone Wardens as the donator bonus: Possessors. No I will not say one more word ;)

Remember Deadcore? Releasing today on Steam, and the devs got a publisher too (Bandai Namco). The launch trailer looks awesome, way more complex and varied than the last time I played it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62DX_eC0OgI
ss_ee0fa0e96c383d7dfc04419d0efde8a8ed9ddf53.600x338.jpg
ss_28609a34dc57702deb98fdf478deaae5df0260ea.600x338.jpg

Everytime I see this game, I am asking myself why those animations look so damn good.
I've seen (and rewatched) so many GIFs of the game, and they never cease to impress. It's all the subtle details and behind-the-scenes stuff that makes the game so cool to watch. Like how the AI are constantly shifting focus to new targets depending on stuff like distance and speed, or how the limbs reach out and adjust realistically

And it's all one guy.

So picked up Secrets of Grindea last night. Already plugged a good 10 hours into it, there's a lot of content especially with the Arcade Mode which really scratches the itch that I currently have waiting for Isaac Rebirth.

Also, I don't think I've played a game this polished in beta for a long time. Doesn't hurt that it is absolutely beautiful to look at.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So picked up Secrets of Grindea last night. Already plugged a good 10 hours into it, there's a lot of content especially with the Arcade Mode which really scratches the itch that I currently have waiting for Isaac Rebirth.

Also, I don't think I've played a game this polished in beta for a long time. Doesn't hurt that it is absolutely beautiful to look at.

Whats good about the gameplay?

Also, speaking about the recent "Whats Indie"-talk in the thread here. Just got to know that MIstwalker is currently 9 people (The Terra Battle guys), which is smaller than the bigger Indie studios, and another hint that the common conception of what we consider "Indie" really wears thin by now.

Whats good about the gameplay?

Sorry should have given more in depth impressions but I literally couldn't wait to fire it back up again.

In terms of what's good about the gameplay, it's hard to describe... It's just a really damn good action RPG. You can quick slot pretty much any equipment or skill, so you can really mix things up on the fly if needs be. The actual combat feels very precise, great attack animations, great enemy animations (some of the enemy deaths are very cute and imaginative).

The use of blocking is extremely important which I feel gets glossed over in certain action RPGs in favour of just making you feel like a power house all the time. Certain enemies require blocking before you can even attack them. Your shield has a charge bar, so when the charge bar is depleted from being hit one too many times, you have to wait for it to recharge. Alternatively, if you've got a decent sense of timing, block just before being hit to trigger a perfect block which halves the amount that is taken from your shield. Also your next basic attack after a perfect block is a guaranteed critical hit... Or if you use magic, the next magic attack is pre-charged to its second level.

The Arcade Mode is pretty great, it's a more roguelike approach, you get a random character and send them up a mountain, clearing rooms, getting ranked on the rooms you clear, before facing off against a boss each floor. There are other rooms where you have to solve puzzles, herd chickens... Every so often a weird guy in a dark robe shows up and says "I bet you can't clear the next room if I make it so every enemy is an elite/all enemies can regenerate health/bet you can't get an S in the next room", if you manage to beat his challenge he'll give you a reward, if not he'll take some life from you.

When you die (and you will, repeatedly, the game is not easy) your score from all the floors is combined and all those points go towards levelling up your little starting area in Arcade Mode. New NPCs appear with quests (some of which are extremely hard, one of the early on ones is asking you to get to floor 3 of the mountain, the catch being that every enemy is elite... elite enemies are faster, hit harder, and don't seem to care about you hitting them, so blocking is important). The NPC who appears to randomly shake things up has his own little section where you can unlock perks that can be taken up the mountain with you. It needs to be played to understand how enjoyable it is to be honest, the demo gives you a significant chunk of Arcade Mode to play about with. In Arcade Mode equipment is randomly dropped, but in Story Mode you either buy your equipment or craft it. Equipment generally just increases stats, but some equipment has a special effect (for instance at the minute I'm using a sword called The Stinger, which was crafted from honey and bee stings, it decreases the charging time for my dashing strike skill).

Generally there are just neat little moments throughout the game. One early moment has you, in the typical RPG trope, facing off against monsters in an arena. The final task a small slime comes out, starts twitching, then all of a sudden gets huge and that is the first boss fight in the game. When you beat it, he drops a rare card and you are proclaimed the winner. Hard to describe in words why it was such an enjoyable moment, but I think this section of the game is part of the demo so try it out and see for yourself. Another little side quest had me gathering 20 carrots to put onto a tree stump... Because the game thought they would look good there. Gathered the carrots, it summoned a rare Rabby, who when killed dropped a giant carrot that I could use as a sword.

Soundtrack is pretty great, nothing amazingly special but it serves its purpose. The thing that really impresses me is the amount of effort that has gone into the sound effects. Neat little touches like going into a house to reclaim a sword your friend took from you, and whilst his mother is talking to you, you can see your friend lying in bed coughing. Again, hard to describe in words why it is good, so... demo haha.

Really can't wait for this to properly come out, I've got a feeling it is going to be huge.

Just to clarify, for the most part I have been playing Arcade Mode. I've just finished what content is currently there in the Story Mode (the first few story sections, then the first dungeon of sorts, as well as a second smaller dungeon after it) and I'm at about 3 hours played. The first big dungeon is pretty impressive, the boss fight especially, there are bullet-hell elements in here too.

Thores

Boot Hill Heroes came out today. It looks like a really cool Earthbound-styled rpg love letter set in a western style. Also has 4-player coop.

$4.50

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313470/

Also claims to be on xbox indie and Vita.

I was really interested by the concept, but... boy. That graphical style is super on the nose. It actually borderline looks like they just directly edited some Mother 3 sprites to pass off as their own. It kinda crosses an uncomfortable line between tribute and plagiarism for me.

Burt

Sorry should have given more in depth impressions but I literally couldn't wait to fire it back up again.

In terms of what's good about the gameplay, it's hard to describe... It's just a really damn good action RPG. You can quick slot pretty much any equipment or skill, so you can really mix things up on the fly if needs be. The actual combat feels very precise, great attack animations, great enemy animations (some of the enemy deaths are very cute and imaginative).

The use of blocking is extremely important which I feel gets glossed over in certain action RPGs in favour of just making you feel like a power house all the time. Certain enemies require blocking before you can even attack them. Your shield has a charge bar, so when the charge bar is depleted from being hit one too many times, you have to wait for it to recharge. Alternatively, if you've got a decent sense of timing, block just before being hit to trigger a perfect block which halves the amount that is taken from your shield. Also your next basic attack after a perfect block is a guaranteed critical hit... Or if you use magic, the next magic attack is pre-charged to its second level.

The Arcade Mode is pretty great, it's a more roguelike approach, you get a random character and send them up a mountain, clearing rooms, getting ranked on the rooms you clear, before facing off against a boss each floor. There are other rooms where you have to solve puzzles, herd chickens... Every so often a weird guy in a dark robe shows up and says "I bet you can't clear the next room if I make it so every enemy is an elite/all enemies can regenerate health/bet you can't get an S in the next room", if you manage to beat his challenge he'll give you a reward, if not he'll take some life from you.

When you die (and you will, repeatedly, the game is not easy) your score from all the floors is combined and all those points go towards levelling up your little starting area in Arcade Mode. New NPCs appear with quests (some of which are extremely hard, one of the early on ones is asking you to get to floor 3 of the mountain, the catch being that every enemy is elite... elite enemies are faster, hit harder, and don't seem to care about you hitting them, so blocking is important). The NPC who appears to randomly shake things up has his own little section where you can unlock perks that can be taken up the mountain with you. It needs to be played to understand how enjoyable it is to be honest, the demo gives you a significant chunk of Arcade Mode to play about with. In Arcade Mode equipment is randomly dropped, but in Story Mode you either buy your equipment or craft it. Equipment generally just increases stats, but some equipment has a special effect (for instance at the minute I'm using a sword called The Stinger, which was crafted from honey and bee stings, it decreases the charging time for my dashing strike skill).

Generally there are just neat little moments throughout the game. One early moment has you, in the typical RPG trope, facing off against monsters in an arena. The final task a small slime comes out, starts twitching, then all of a sudden gets huge and that is the first boss fight in the game. When you beat it, he drops a rare card and you are proclaimed the winner. Hard to describe in words why it was such an enjoyable moment, but I think this section of the game is part of the demo so try it out and see for yourself. Another little side quest had me gathering 20 carrots to put onto a tree stump... Because the game thought they would look good there. Gathered the carrots, it summoned a rare Rabby, who when killed dropped a giant carrot that I could use as a sword.

Soundtrack is pretty great, nothing amazingly special but it serves its purpose. The thing that really impresses me is the amount of effort that has gone into the sound effects. Neat little touches like going into a house to reclaim a sword your friend took from you, and whilst his mother is talking to you, you can see your friend lying in bed coughing. Again, hard to describe in words why it is good, so... demo haha.

Really can't wait for this to properly come out, I've got a feeling it is going to be huge.

Just to clarify, for the most part I have been playing Arcade Mode. I've just finished what content is currently there in the Story Mode (the first few story sections, then the first dungeon of sorts, as well as a second smaller dungeon after it) and I'm at about 3 hours played. The first big dungeon is pretty impressive, the boss fight especially, there are bullet-hell elements in here too.
Trust this man. The game is so, so good.

Trust this man. The game is so, so good.
The
GUN-D4M boss fight
was something properly special, like I actually found myself yelling when I beat it. Was so pumped, everything about it just felt completely perfect. The boss battle music, the bullets and rockets flying everywhere, then when you think it's dead it has one last attempt at killing you by literally throwing everything it has in your direction. So good.

Also, yes, full controller support.

Moobabe

The
GUN-D4M boss fight
was something properly special, like I actually found myself yelling when I beat it. Was so pumped, everything about it just felt completely perfect. The boss battle music, the bullets and rockets flying everywhere, then when you think it's dead it has one last attempt at killing you by literally throwing everything it has in your direction. So good.

Also, yes, full controller support.

Excellent stuff!

October 2013
Another retrospective look at how indie games have progressed (or not) in a year's time

42 Stories - "In limbo", dev posted in TIGForum Devlog this month

Always Sometimes Monsters - Finished, released

Amber Throne - New gameplay video in September

An Empty World - "in progress", no recent info, devs working on Sunset

Apotheon - launch trailer sneak peek released earlier this month

Autopret - no current info or updates

Belladonna - Posted for Screenshot Saturday yesterday, regular updates

Beyond Eyes - coming to PC, consoles in 2015

Blood Alloy - failed Kickstarter, dev revamping the game, coming to PC and WiiU, recent updates

Castle Breakers - no recent news

Claire - finished, released

Cornerstone - last update in May

Daina: The Herbarium - no news since last September

Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon - Finished, released

Dragons of Elanthia - Alpha available to play

Eidolon - Finished, released

EXILED - devs working on a new game, no updates this year

October 2013
Retrospective continued

Framed - in development, won Visual Design Award at IndieCade 2014

Future Unfolding - in development, releasing in 2015

Glob the Game - no updates since December

Gravia Tactics - failed Kickstarter, last update in August

Halfway - released on Early Access, last update in August

Hero of Many - finished, released

Hot Tin Roof - last Kickstarter update in September

Hyper Light Drifter - in development, private beta released

Little Nemo: Dream Master - last Tweet was last October

Machinist-Fabrique - no updates since last September

One Upon Light - will be released "exclusively on PS4 Store South East Asia in end Oct 2014"

Passage: Digital Tactical Card Game - dead site, no info anywhere
No images

Pixel Boy - finished, released

Pixeljunk Inc. - renamed Nom Nom Galaxy, released on Early Access, regular updates

Prisonscape - failed Kickstarter, still in development, regular updates

Proxy Blade - finished, released

Rigid Force - last dev update in August

October 2013
Retrospective continued

Saturated Dreamers - no current info

Specter - has an invite-only demo, dev collaborating on a VR game

Sunless Sea - successful Kickstarter, released on Early Access, regular updates

Temple of Ogrosh - "Under development", no recent info

Temporus - successful Kickstarter, regular updates

The Girl and the Robot - still in development, regular updates, also releasing on PS4, WiiU

The Abyss - no recent info

The Long Dark - successful Kickstarter, released on Early Access

The Town of Light - regular updates

The Wanderer - no new info since last October

Toryansé - regular dev updates, no release date

Umbrella - no current info

Volume - regular dev updates

White Space - No info since last August

Windforge - finished, released

Zeathre - on hold

Zone 22 - devs posted that they're "not dead" in August, no info since then

zX - Hyperblast - still in development, regular dev updates

Gliese - ????
giphy.gif

http://www.gliesegame.com/

GLIESE (pronounced Glee·zah) is an upcoming 2D action-adventure RPG, inspired by great games like Half-Life, Borderlands, and Shadow of the Colossus.

Nubarron: The Adventure of an Unlucky Gnome - ????
Screenshot_8.png

http://nastycloud.com/work/nubarron/

A story about a complex relationship between Cloud and Gnome. Who is responsible for all this bad luck?

Spinlot - Free demo (PC, Browser)
aqpaotq.jpg

http://spinlot.com/

Spinlot is a minimalist 2D game with a unique puzzle mechanics. Take control of spinning creature and use it to your advantage to avoid enemies and traps that await you.

Xtraction - ????
directlink_B0RYnVoCIAEGzvq.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://squiggout.com/xtraction/

Claim jump the Xtraction Mining Companies mines and collect the green crystals for yourself. This physics based puzzle platformer requires you to figure out how to extract the crystals befoe you run out of oxygen!

Bunker Punks - ????
tumblr_n9c2qd0ja01twzfdqo1_1280.png

http://bunkerpunks.tumblr.com/

Old school FPS, inspired by 80’s anime like Robotech/Macross

Empyrion - PC
directlink_B0QzN97CUAAmXyT.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129990330/empyrion-galactic-survival

Empyrion is an open world, space survival adventure where you can fly across space & land on planets. Explore, fight, build & survive.

Previously Mentioned

The Last Night - being expanded into a larger game

Orphan

Sky Rogue

Sector 13 - Free (Browser)
directlink_B0QfYK6CUAAXm71.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://www.reactorinteractive.net/

Sector 13 delivers multiplayer space combat at an intensity and scale that has yet to be experienced on modern and next-generation platforms.
Choose between five different military factions, each deploying unique starfighters, weapons and advanced tech to battles fought amongst the stars.

A Quiver of Crows - ????
directlink_B0Q6nEGCEAA6GMv.png%3Alarge.png

https://twitter.com/AQuiverOfCrows

A twin-stick shmup where you play as a crow

Hive21 - PC, Mac, Linux
directlink_B0QJ-LPIIAAnJym.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=43931.0

HIVE21 is a squad-based real-time strategy game set in the near future where intelligent extraterrestrial life forms have invaded earth. The intruders quickly set up organic bases, the HIVEs, from where they launch and coordinate their operations. During the first weeks of contact, human counter operations were quite effective, but then HIVE21 emerged, apparently the most powerful one, and things quickly went south. Now, most of human population is eradicated or scattered. As a special unit of the global defense association you have to seek out and exterminate HIVE21 to ensure survival of the human race.

FATUM: The Will of a God - PC
imgur_lR223jY.jpg

http://www.indiedb.com/games/fatum-the-will-of-a-god

A first person adventure game with resolution of puzzles, where the main goal is to tell a story to the player.
The story is based in philosophical questions, religious and political, on society, using abstract and rhetorical allegories.

Spectrum - Free (PC)
L6gt28R.png

http://zelbytestudios.itch.io/spectrum

Fight the endless waves of enemy ships to get the highest score in this fast paced space shooter!

Previously Mentioned

Heat Signature

RymdResa

Magnetic By Nature

bokkengro

Neo Member
Sproggiwood - $14.99 (PC)
ss_a139921549030e305373289dbda94e951307a149.jpg

store.steampowered.com/app/311720/

A roguelike (turn-based, tile-based, procedural dungeons) inspired by Finnish mythology.
"Sproggiwood distills the roguelike genre down to its core fun ingredients: inspired character classes, loads of interesting loot, and procedurally populated dungeons with monsters and traps that combine to produce totally unique tactical challenges. In Sproggiwood, adventure sessions are compact and chock-full of interesting choices for you to make. Each dungeon dive follows the heroic rise of one adventurer from your civilization."

If you guys were interested, I'm compiling a list of indie devs of GAF, mainly the folks who post over in the Indie Dev thread

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135081127&postcount=17326

---

Metrocide - $6.99 (PC, Mac)
ss_adc5b5610757ff43f089ac7c92ed53594a306b4b.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313130/

A relentless top-down single-player arcade stealth-shooter where you play as contract killer T.J. Trench, seeking to buy your way out of Metro City, the cyberpunk dystopia where everyone wants you dead.

COLOR - Free demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
y7XbaP.gif

http://dualstudios.co.uk/color

The game is called COLOR and it's a minimalist, ambient puzzle game. You add, subtract and mix colours to match the goal.

Tribal & Error - Free demo (PC)
outside_teaser-366x366.jpg

http://www.tribalanderror.com/demo

In Tribal & Error you’re a robot sent back to observe the ancient times,but the ice age is coming and to save humanity you need to learn their language first.
You’ll observe, repeat and master the cavemen tongue.

Totem's Sound - Free (PC, Mac)
tumblr_nc98kwuo701t0vasyo1_1280.png

http://totems-sound.com/

This is the story of the Norwegian explorer Johan Adrian Jacobsen. From 1881 to 1883 he traveled along the northwestern coasts of the Americas. Commissioned by a support committee, he purchased and cataloged an immense number of artifacts and objects from local tribes for the German Humboldt Foundation. Totem's Sound is based on his personal accounts.
Well, almost.
Enjoy a day of Johan's journey, featuring great outdoor activities such as canoe races, collecting clams, not getting eaten by a giant grizzly and of course fish oil binge drinking. Get in contact with the local tribes, that are struggling to preserve their ways of life and their cultures in a rapidly changing world.

So has anyone started thinking about their favorite indies of 2014 yet? It's almost that time of the year

Right now, I'd say my list would definitely include NaissanceE, 80 Days, Monument Valley, Door Kickers, Infested Planet, Shovel Knight, XenoRaptor, and Capsule

So has anyone started thinking about their favorite indies of 2014 yet? It's almost that time of the year

Right now, I'd say my list would definitely include NaissanceE, 80 Days, Monument Valley, Door Kickers, Infested Planet, Shovel Knight, XenoRaptor, and Capsule

There are still too many new indie games that I need to buy. >.>

I have seriously problem remebering the games I played this year but Endless Legend is going to be on my GOTY list.

The Fall, Ziggurat, Doorkickers, Wasteland 2, The Forest....that's all I can think of so far.
The Forest is already that good?

I'm still not sold on Ziggurat yet. I like the visual style from the trailer, but the gameplay doesn't seem like anything special. Another arcade-y arena roguelite shooter, with a fantasy skin

The Forest is already that good?

It's been a while since I played it, but I really enjoyed it. It's also not running into a lot of competition because I've been playing Counter Strike way too much.

I'm still not sold on Ziggurat yet. I like the visual style from the trailer, but the gameplay doesn't seem like anything special. Another arcade-y arena roguelite shooter, with a fantasy skin

Yup, that's what it is. Luckily I haven't played many of those type of games, so I've been really enjoying myself.

Shovel Knight & Secrets of Grindea, that's all so far. Don't have the most capable computer in the world for gaming so tend to only stick to the more basic looking games. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth will inevitably join this list unless something goes severely wrong.

Toma

OP impressions:

Bonfire
Challenge based turn based RPG, meaning no overworld and just fights. That works for some games and this game sort of has a roguelike hook attached to it, meaning you can unlock more characters, get better gear and you just replay the different randomized challenges. Its not "bad", but for a PC game rather bland and simple, and the control scheme and rather slow combat isnt very appealing on the platform either. I admit though that I might play this some more if it had a mobile version, since it really seems like a perfect fit for the style and controls. Surprised to see it isnt a mobile game actually.

Boson X
Endless forward runner with quite a few levels, and in that genre easily among my favourite games. Precise controls, rewarding learning curve, appealing art design, interesting level obstacles and just challenging high speed precision fun in a particle accelerator. If you like "endless runner"-type games, you really should give this a try.

Cosmochoria
Lovely, lovely game. Action adventure in space... without pants. But instead you get Pets, plants, different planets, secrets, upgrades, huge enemies and a buckload of charme. Its really rewarding to wander around the galaxy, bring life to planets and encounter other hidden secrets. The game also gets a dev bonus for being one of the most caring devs I ever encountered. Amazing work with his community.

Cosmonautica
Still in early access, but already very worthwhile. The best description I read about it was "FTL meets The Sims". Disclaimer: Of course both individual games lose quite a bit of their complexity in this mashup, and both FTL and Sims are better games than Cosmonautica, but: Cosmonautica is pretty fun in its own right.
Its a game in which you either trade goods, move passengers or defeat enemies to make money, which in turn can be spent on better ships, rooms on your ship and crew. The crew has needs, so you always need to factor into account what your crew needs and which rooms you need for any current job or to satisfy your own crew. On top of that it has the FTL style random events, which can throw off your plans quite a bit, but make the game interesting to play. Individually, these mechanics arent that deep, but together they mold into a surprisingly coherent and fun game. Another thing I really enjoyed is the coherentness of the game to its setting: You fly around a star system, and the game actually shows you the map and how your travel route is affected by orbital movement (aka you never travel in a straight line and planets are not in the same position when you arrive, compared to when you started your travels.)
Similarly, if you zoom in close to your ship to get the view into the inside, you can still see the sun and planets moving by in the background according to your galactic position. Really cute details and lovely design overall. The only downside is that the game is still missing quite a bit of content (campaign) for now as its still in early access, but the sandbox mode is fun. If you like these kind of games, this is worth a try.

>----------< Highly Recommended >----------<
Cosmochoria
Cosmonautica
Boson X

>----------< Recommended >----------<
Absolute Drift
Antbassador

>----------< Decent-ish >----------<
Bonfire
Beyond Gravity
Atom Smasher

>----------< Bleh >----------<

<- Post of the Cosmos

Hope if it's okay if I post another Rain World GIF

U4R7p.gif

2 DAYS AGO, Joar was saying water effects were probably impossible, yet here we are and this is some of the best looking water in a platformer i've seen.

OnPoint

The Joylancer: Legendary Motor Knight - Windows (Steam)
rV3UQZr.gif

LINK

It's a Game Boy-styled action platformer. Coming to Steam Early Access in November for $10.

To quote my preview in February:

"The platforming action is solid if tensionless due to the lack of death, but charging your suit to kill enemies is a relatively fun mechanic. It can also be used to propel yourself upward to otherwise unreachable ledges or to crash downward through breakable blocks. What I liked best is that it can be played at a fast pace by a skilled player, though patient players can take their time as well."​

The Ruins of Old Earth - Unknown (Windows looks likely)
DeliriousGraveAlbacoretuna.gif

LINK

A Metroid-like, unknown release information.

An exiting underground world filled with danger around every corner, planet earths inner levels are just being uncovered by humanity. You, a sole explorer on his own mission of discovery, have stumbled uppon a newly found region filled with harsh creatures and ruins of a mysterious culture.

Super III - The alpha version featured is very barebones, no music or options at all but the core gameplay is already implemented and I must say the controls are very tight and precise, even being very rough in it's current state there are a lot of potential on Super III.

Decado

Been waiting for this one to be finished for what seems like years.

I tried to play FreeHolder but the in game text is very small and blurry on my browser. I could appreciate if anyone else who was able to properly play it post your opinions.

Return of the Obra Dinn - Free demo (PC, Mac)
4q%2BDtZ.png

http://dukope.itch.io/return-of-the-obra-dinn

This is a very early playable build. There's not much content and it hasn't been tested.

In 1802, the merchant ship "Obra Dinn" set out from London for the Orient with over 200 tons of trade goods. Six months later it hadn't met its rendezvous point at the Cape of Good Hope and was declared lost at sea.
Early this morning of October 14th, 1808, the Obra Dinn drifted into port with sails damaged and no visible crew. As insurance adjustor for the East India Company's London Office, find means to board the ship and recover the Crew Muster Roll book for assessment.

Top Bottom