• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [October] Now Voting - Post 280!

Panda's short opinions:

Absolute Drift - Fun little game, the controls need some time to get used but if you like games where the main objective is getting the highest score give it a try. The visuals are pretty simple but fits well in the game highlighting the obstacles and objects that give you more points.

Antbassador - Pretty short kinda of QWOP game, but you use the mouse to control the Antbassador. It may take between 5 ~ 10 minutes to complete but overall it's a fun experience. Recommended if you like QWOP, Octodad, Surgeon Simulator and similar.

Atom Smasher - The lack of tutorial makes you feel you're discovering how to build a linear accelerator, it felt frustrating at the start because I had no idea what I should do but there are hints about what parts you should put. The rest feels more like a puzzle, connecting the right power cables, knowing which part you should put etc.

Kradens Crypt - So far first surprise of the month, the pre-alpha, besides some minor graphical glitches, feels like a complete game. The game controls well and has a good artstyle and plenty of items to you use, there are one-handed melee weapon, two-handed melee weapons, shields, bows, armors, speelbooks. Highly recommended.

Parallel Horizons - It's a physics based puzzle platformer, you jump onto some kind of "light pool" and it throws you to the opposite direction on the screen. Very simple but it's a Ludum Dare game and I the scenery is beautiful.

Secret of Grindea - Amazing action rpg game, it was another surprise this month. You're from a family of collectors and must partake in a competition. The demo is very limited, there are your city and the path down the mountain to the other city where the competition takes place but only playing that small section I can say that this game shows a lot of promise. Recommended for everyone.

Magnetic: Cage Closed - PC, Linux
By3hgNrIgAAzAvq.png:large

http://gurugames.se/games/magnetic/

Magnetic: Cage Closed is a first person puzzle game where the player manipulates magnetic forces to accomplish their goals. The mechanics are focused around a single tool: The Magnet Gun. This tolls allows you to create electromagnetic fields with either positive or negative charges. This fields can either attract magnetic objects or repulse them, and since some of these objects might weight more than you do, it might be you who is drawn towards them, or pushed away from them.

Endica VII The Dream King - 2014 (PC, Mac, Linux, Ouya)
directlink_BzEn0tICEAEIlTi.png%3Alarge.png

http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-dream-king/

Endica VII The Dream King is a Brand New 4-Player Metroidvania style game! The Dream King is heavily inspired by nostalgic classics from the 90's

Fathom - ????
directlink_BzJXp7WCcAAqT-n.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://fathomthegame.com/

FATHOM is a fast-paced multiplayer underwater strategic combat game that combines First-Person-Shooter (FPS) and Real-Time-Strategy (RTS) genres. Build your base, collect and mine resources, hunt the denizens of the deep, create a fleet of combat subs, and command them to overwhelm your enemy and seize control of the ocean!

Zero G Golf - €2.00 (PC)
directlink_BzqeGZRCQAA_LvZ.png%3Alarge.png

http://kingpenguin.itch.io/zero-g-golf

Play golf in zero g: Try to hit the right buttons with your balls, but avoid hitting red buttons, or you might end up killing everyone on the spaceship!

Previously Mentioned

Exception - Trailer is awesome

Crossing Souls

GNOG (formerly GNAH)

Innerspace

Red:Out - ????
GreedyNeglectedAracari.gif

http://34bigthings.com/blog/

"Redout": a condition experienced by pilots in which blood is forced to the head and results in a reddening of the field of vision during maneuvers that produce a negative gravity force. Also, the fastest arcade racer since the good old days of F-Zero and WipEout.

Migni: The Last Flame - PC, IOS, Android
paloma700.jpg

http://www.indiedb.com/games/migni

Migni is a mix of platform, puzzle and action 2D game. After the war between the cloudwalkers and the Flame Kingdom, Migni becomes the last of the flames and he has to survive to set the world on fire again. The cloudwalkers have invaded his world and they have a horrible plan: building a theme park! Once the war is over, Migni wakes up with no memories about who he is or what is he doing there, so he has to rely on the strange creatures still hidden in the world.

Demons With Shotgun - PC
cageCrushed1_vg52m8wyei.gif

http://www.indiedb.com/games/demons-with-shotguns

Demons with Shotguns is a local multiplayer platformer shoot-em-up! Up to four players will fight against each other in multiple game modes to help tip the scales in their factions favor. Armed with a powerful double barrel shotgun, blast your way through your opponents, unleashing their souls for to you collect, and bathe in the rain of their blood and gibs!

Arizona - ????
dqfRE8U.gif

http://www.heliocentricstudios.com/

Arizona is a top down shooter roguelike that takes place in an alternate reality of the 1990's. The cold war didn't end and the USSR invaded through Mexico and took control of the southerwestern US. You play as a series of agents tasked with undermining soviet efforts and exposing their hidden agendas.

Project Tigra - Free demo (PC)
Tigra-demo3--02-720p.jpg

http://www.firevector.com/tigra/

Project Tigra is a platformer/adventure game with focus on exploration and survival.

Previously Mentioned

Aerobat

Calvino Noir

Cogmind

singmetosleep

Releases on Steam Early Access on the 15th, but you get a Steam key early if you purchase now

Autocraft - $9.99 (PC)
1.jpg

http://www.alientrap.org/games/autocraft

Autocraft is a physics based puzzle game about building complex machines to accomplish objectives
Create your own cars, rockets, tanks, planes, boats, and more.

Yes, another vehicle building game. But compared to others, which can be kind of aimless, Autocraft is more focused. While there is a sandbox mode, the main feature is the challenges; create your vehicle to reach the exit, while secondary objectives test your ability to maximize your craft's efficiency by beating par times or using limited parts

Simply put, Autocraft is everything I had wanted Crashtastic to be. There's already a nice amount of content, between the numerous challenge levels, Sandbox, and numerous parts. The building interface is simple and easy to use. You quickly amass a wide variety of parts, from wheels, thrusters, and boosters to guns, stabilizer wings, and balloons. The physics are great and the crashes are always entertaining thanks to the debris and your tumbling ragdoll astronaut. The planetary level design and low poly art style gives the game a cool visual aesthetic and allows for interesting challenges, such as controlling your descent through an asteroid field. The game even has more advanced parts such as Kerbal Space Program-style separators, allowing you to build multi-stage vehicles

Phawx

I feel ashamed. I've had a key for Autocraft for like three weeks now, I really need to get that Let's Play up.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am ashamed. A mobile game is keeping me from playing more PC Indies this month.

Phawx

I am ashamed. A mobile game is keeping me from playing more PC Indies this month.

Which? Also, I didn't mean my post as a humble brag or anything. Preview codes are an obligation and I get a bunch of anxiety when I don't deliver.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Which? Also, I didn't mean my post as a humble brag or anything. Preview codes are an obligation and I get a bunch of anxiety when I don't deliver.

lol, no worries.

And still Terra Battle. Its way too good, waaaay too good. Definitely going to land in my Indie GOTY list this year.

Toma

Mistwalker is indie now? :p

I'll give them a spot on my Indie tableau for making one of the best mobile games I have ever seen.

:p

(This more or less goes back to the discussion about classifying "Indie" as a design concept/idea/value, and I have a hard time considering a block puzzle game "AAA")

daydream

Banned
(This more or less goes back to the discussion about classifying "Indie" as a design concept/idea/value, and I have a hard time considering a block puzzle game "AAA")

A F2P fantasy puzzle/strategy game for mobile is not my first association when hearing the words 'indie design' but ok, I'll shut up now. :p

(Not implying that it's not good btw, I'm sure it's a great game.)

A F2P fantasy puzzle/strategy game for mobile is not my first association when hearing the words 'indie design' but ok, I'll shut up now. :p

When I think mobile game, the first thing that comes to mind is "indie design" :p

Mainly because the big companies like Rovio and King are really the outliers, while the majority of games are made by small teams or one person, as a hobby or in their free time, etc.

Toma

...yeeaaah, I am stretching a bit, but I want a reason to put it into this thread, so you gotta stick with me basically doing what Baddy just did and consider most mobile development "Indie"ish.

daydream

Banned
Fair enough. :)

Speaking of indie games on platforms that are not the PC - Pix the Cat on PS4/Vita is another great Pastagames (Pix'n Love, Rayman games on iOS, Maestro! Jump in Music) release. The main mode is a cunning combination of Snake and Pac-Man and it alone is totally worth the price of admission. There's other modes, though, that are totally different, making this a must-own on those platforms. Definitely one of the best arcade games of the year.

Toma

Speaking of indie games on platforms that are not the PC - Pix the Cat on PS4/Vita is another great Pastagames (Pix'n Love, Rayman games on iOS, Maestro! Jump in Music) release. The main mode is a cunning combination of Snake and Pac-Man and it alone is totally worth the price of admission. There's other modes, though, that are totally different, making this a must-own on those platforms. Definitely one of the best arcade games of the year.

Still need to try that one too. Hopefully I dont forget to pick it up from PS+.

Dascu

Anyone interested in testing a demo of Malebolgia? I'd like to gather some more feedback and impressions before I submit to IGF next week. The demo is approximately 2hrs long for a new player. I can distribute Steam keys.

PM me if intrigued.

Moobabe

Yes. Pix the Cat is really good. Like - out of nowhere, batshit insane good.

Boot Hill Heroes came out today. It looks like a really cool Earthbound-styled rpg love letter set in a western style. Also has 4-player coop.

$4.50

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313470/

Also claims to be on xbox indie and Vita.

It is on Vita - but Playstation mobile....

I'd love some more impressions on it from you guys.

Alex (Pylon_trooper) is penning a review as we speak - but has uploaded some initial impressions (he loves it.)

So we're in our last week for the Buffalo Game Space kickstarter, and I'm trying to come up with ideas to get some traction. I know that the last few days of a Kickstarter are valuable to the success of the project. We have some ways to go (just under 15,000 of 40,000 requested) and it doesn't feel impossible so long as we get something going.

Any ideas? I put up a thread on TIGSource but I have no idea how that's going to go. I'll probably put up a thread here at some point, too.

I don't mind posting about it - I've always envisioned CBG as a collaborative effort with friends/people online - plus it helps that the project looks really cool.

Will have some OP impression up later, and the October retrospective once we get to a new page

STEAL - PC, Mac, Linux
screen52.png

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=43907.0

STEAL is a 2D stealth game where your only weapons are planification, discretion and mobility, you play a thief which is not here to kill but to steal its target without being detected, and you’ll use your skills and equipments to achieve it by luring guards, hacking the environment and sticking to the shadows.

Rebel Galaxy - 2015 (PC, PS4)
nebula.jpg

http://rebel-galaxy.com/

Rebel Galaxy takes place in a massive, randomly generated universe filled with nebulae, junkyards, asteroid belts, and ice fields.
You’re in control of an enormous destroyer, bristling with weaponry, firing massive broadside volleys, burning holes in cruisers, and bringing down fighters by the score.
you will interact with other ship captains, some hostile, some desperate for your help. You’ll meet shady characters in even shadier station bars. You’ll even have to bargain with inscrutable tentacle-faced alien freaks.
If you’re silver-tongued, you might make a few friends, or at least temporary allies.
Or you could make ‘em beg.
Your call.

OnPoint

I don't mind posting about it - I've always envisioned CBG as a collaborative effort with friends/people online - plus it helps that the project looks really cool.

If you could put something up that would be awesome. We're nearing in on the last 48 hours and we're like 18,000 or something short... would take an internet/GAF miracle at this point...

Absolute Drift
Absolute Drift hones offers top-down minimalist gameplay, all about the art of skidding sideways through the tightest turns and hair-breath gaps.

The current demo of Absolute Drift offers several race tracks and freestyle levels, all presented in contrasting red and white, black serpentine skid marks in your wake. The game can be played with either a gamepad or keyboard, but the controls feel more responsive and precise with the former. And you need every ounce of precision when playing Absolute Drift, as you slide around corners and turns with barely inches to spare. The freestyle levels offer an even greater and more creative challenge; achieving a high score means weaving between poles and under gates, performing donuts and spins, barrel-rolling off ramps and crashing through boxes. It's a game that requires skill and practice to achieve the best times and scores.

The controls can definitely be improved, but I really excited to see how Absolute Drift expands in the future

Super III
It's a real shame that Super III wasn't funded on Kickstarter. It's a really fun platformer, with colorful visuals and solid gameplay. The teleporting mechanic is very satisfying, just has a weighty feel behind it that makes it fun to use. The teleporting plus screen wrap allows from some inventive level design as you evade enemies, toggle switches and activate platforms, and maneuver around deadly hazards

Super III is definitely worth checking out.

Terrance the Flying Eyeball
Terrance The Flying Eyeball is the first indie project from developer Aiden Bains. It's a short fun precision flyer that's worth a try.

You control the titular airborne eye, as it weaves through four stages of varied hazards. Narrow corridors, lasers, turrets, and more combine in devious patterns and configurations to test your timing and skill. The developer's focus was on teaching mechanics organically through level design and color, and to that effect, there are no tutorial or tips; you learn how obstacles and hazards behave through trial and error and simply playing through the stages. I found the controls finicky in some spots, but overall Terrance was an enjoyable experience for the 30-40 minutes it took to complete.

---
1) The Masterplan
2) Velocibox
3) Absolute Drift
4) Boson X
5) Super III
6) Heavy Bullet
7) Superdimensional
8) Terrance the Flying Eyeball

Wiktor

Rebel Galaxy seems cool, altough that's such a pc'ish genre I'm wonder if making it for PS4 at the same time won't have negative impact on PC version

Phawx

Thanks to Dascu for giving me a key to try out Malebolgia.

You can see my minamalist Let's Play (20~ Mins) of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4GNrhNkiI

Naturally the game isn't finished yet, but some of my early impressions:

Good pacing
Excellent atmosphere (and tension initially)
Lock-on targetting is spot-on (I realize that this is a point of contention, I am a huge fan of z-targeting and it's put to excellent use in Malebolgia)
Combat system is straight-forward and effective, variety stemming from enemies.

It's not finished but all the pieces that are there show a lot of promise. Flavor reminded me of the original Alone in the Dark with better controls, natch.

Moobabe

So we're in our last week for the Buffalo Game Space kickstarter, and I'm trying to come up with ideas to get some traction. I know that the last few days of a Kickstarter are valuable to the success of the project. We have some ways to go (just under 15,000 of 40,000 requested) and it doesn't feel impossible so long as we get something going.

Any ideas? I put up a thread on TIGSource but I have no idea how that's going to go. I'll probably put up a thread here at some point, too.

I know this is probably a really stupid question - but have you tried local media at all? Like i'd imagine your local news station and papers would be interested in the story?

My piece will be going up in the next few minutes!

Indie News: Dungeon of the Endless is hitting 1.0 on October 27th. Multiplayer. Buy this game. Seriously.

Also (non indie) - Bayonetta 2 is so damn good.

OnPoint

I know this is probably a really stupid question - but have you tried local media at all? Like i'd imagine your local news station and papers would be interested in the story?

Indie News: Dungeon of the Endless is hitting 1.0 on October 27th. Multiplayer. Buy this game. Seriously.

We definitely have. We got a piece done and aired by local Channel 2 NBC, got in a few local papers. The big paper around here didn't even contact us back. It's frustrating. You'd think something unique like this would garner some interest. I know I'm always looking for unique stories.

Toma

Speaking of Non-Indies: Evil Within is currently my top GOTY spot, if anyone cares. The game sure has its own set of faults, but ooooh my god am I loving this.

JCSantiago

Neo Member
Trying my hand at exploring the internet for cool looking stuff (that's probably already been mentioned by you guys!)

Tesla Breaks the World! - £6.99 (PC)

Refunktion - Free (PC)

Outland 17 - PC(?)

Outland 17 is part the Square Enix collective (which I have very little experience or understanding of... It's like a pre-Kickstarter? Regardless - looks cool.

Hey Moobabe,

The Collective is very much a pre-kickstater. The idea is that Square puts a game on their site and people vote on it. If there are enough votes, they will preform a due diligence check on the project. Finally is that checks out they might support you on kickstarter with marketing help.

I have high hopes that Outland 17 will make it through to the next phase. If your a fan of Tactics RPGs give it an up vote and share it with friends.

Moobabe

Hey Moobabe,

The Collective is very much a pre-kickstater. The idea is that Square puts a game on their site and people vote on it. If there are enough votes, they will preform a due diligence check on the project. Finally is that checks out they might support you on kickstarter with marketing help.

I have high hopes that Outland 17 will make it through to the next phase. If your a fan of Tactics RPGs give it an up vote and share it with friends.

That's a super official response - are you making Outland 17 or part of SE?

JCSantiago

Neo Member
That's cool! The game looks really interesting - so is this like a pitch approval process? Then you guys move onto Kickstarter after?

Thank you so much! It's always great hearing encouragement.

Yes, basically this is our pitch. It's Square's way of gauging how much interest there is in our game. If there is enough interest and they vet our project, they will help us market our Kickstarter.

We've been working on the Kickstarter page for sometime and we even let people who sign up for the newsletter to preview the page. But of course the biggest challenge is getting the word out to people who like our kind of game.

OnPoint

You made it! Congrats on reaching 100%!

Thanks! I was sweating it out at the end there. I can't believe we pulled it off. That last minute Kickstarter push is tense as hell!

Hopefully we'll have more projects to feature in these threads in the future :D that's kind of the point I guess haha

OnPoint

SUPERHYPER - $1 (iOS)
gxKSQOf.jpg

LINK
Movement is controlled through swiping. The action is isometric, but you swipe left to move left, and right to move right. You can also perform a dash by swiping forward. Dodging or crossing pits or avoiding or going through objects is the name of the game, and it's set to a thumping EDM soundtrack.

Check out a video here

Top Bottom