• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [August] Now Voting - Post #333!

Super Mutant Alien Assault - $9.99 (PC)
screenshot2.png

http://www.mutantalienassault.com/

Fight through rapid fire single screen levels each with a random combination of platform layout, objective, vending machines and enemies. Dodge and weave amongst the aliens to stay alive but don’t leave them standing too long or the ship’s radiation will mutate them into bigger, nastier versions

Was just thinking of this old pc action side scroller Hunter Hunted and was curious if anybody had some recommendations for anything similar from the indie scene. This game has a really cool art style too. Not sure how obscure it was at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usgJt31se4E

Never heard of it before, aside from the artstyle it remember me of that old Blizzard game that I totally forget the name. The only indie game that comes to my mind right now is Shadow Complex(?), though it remained exclusive to X360 if I'm not mistaken.

Shadow Complex does seem like it'd be a good fit, unfortunately I don't have a 360 anymore.

Not really any puzzles, combination of run and gun with throwable explosives, some light stealth/evasion via wall hugging. One campaign is the human (hunted) the other as a beast which is more focused on melee attacks. I'd say human campaign is what I'd want more though what with the focus on guns, explosives. The sense of speed is important too. The more I think about it Shank would fit the bill, but missing the speed of Hunter Hunted.

Duskers - $19.99 (PC)
Duskers_SEA_SS_01.jpg

http://duskers.misfits-attic.com/

In Duskers you pilot drones into derelict spaceships to find the means to survive and piece together how the universe became a giant graveyard.
You are a drone operator, surrounded by old gritty tech that acts as your only eyes and ears to the outside world. What you hear comes through a remote microphone. What you see is how each drone sees the world. Motion sensors tell you something's out there, but not what. And when you issue commands, you do it through a command line interface

Barmark - $2.99 (IOS, Android)
JsFQ95.png

http://stormhatt-studios.itch.io/barmark

Barmark is a point n' click exploration game, where you can alter the game's environment in order to achieve harmony and personal perfection. There are no goals, no points and no death. Barmark let's you be in control of your own experience.

One More Night - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
nTp%2F8T.png

http://leafthief.itch.io/onemore-night

A magical summer-themed game about friendship, love and getting drunk in nature. Three friends embark on a two-day camping trip before their last year of school begins. A trip they never want to end.
They want to stay one more night.

Porthole - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
h%2BM2Vv.png

http://ragzouken.itch.io/porthole

Follow the compass
Seek the depths

Warlocks vs Shadows - $13.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
story_3.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/330270/

Warlocks vs Shadows is an action RPG/brawler game set in a fantasy world invaded by shadow monsters. Playing as an incredibly powerful Warlock and, by using magic skills and weapons, you fight through hordes of enemies. The game places great focus on co-op and versus play between players, where you can fight in 1-4 player DeathMatch or in teams of 1v1 or 2v2.

Orion Trail - $9.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
mX9Q7Ca.jpg

http://oriontrail.schellgames.com/

Orion Trail is a single player choose-your-own-space-adventure where you must rely upon your wits, your officers, and your ship to cross the deadly Orion Trail.

Curses 'N Chaos - $9.99 (PC, Mac, PS4, PS Vita)
PS4Screenshot02.png

http://cursesnchaos.com/

In this 2D Arena-Brawler world, there is only one law: fight or die! The Wizard King has cursed Lea and Leo, the fiercest fighters in the land! Now living under the shadow of death, they're hounded by ghouls and hunted by the grim reaper itself! To lift the curse, you must concoct the legendary Elixir of Life! But there's only one way to get the ingredients...FIGHT MONSTERS!

The Plight - Free
tumblr_ntebtfzQUQ1si4jeeo3_500.gif

http://gamejolt.com/games/the-plight-working-title/86274

The Plight is a first-person horror game which follows Wu in his attempt to find out what haunts the house he lives in. Players will uncover Wu's dark past and recover his lost memories.

Shadow Complex does seem like it'd be a good fit, unfortunately I don't have a 360 anymore.

Not really any puzzles, combination of run and gun with throwable explosives, some light stealth/evasion via wall hugging. One campaign is the human (hunted) the other as a beast which is more focused on melee attacks. I'd say human campaign is what I'd want more though what with the focus on guns, explosives. The sense of speed is important too. The more I think about it Shank would fit the bill, but missing the speed of Hunter Hunted.
Hmmm, while the art style and tone look nothing alike, maybe something like Broforce?

Side-scrolling frenetic, fast-as-hell running-and-gunning, with enough explosives to out-Bay Michael Bay and a slight stealth element through flanking and melee

Nabs

Hunter Hunted looks amazing. I'd be down to play something like that.

It's not exactly like HH, but give Not A Hero a look. It's a fast-paced action game where you have an large number of weapons, characters, and explosives. It also features a cover system that you can slide in and out of at any moment.

I beat Stealth Inc 2 today. I thought its predecessor was good, but this is a much better game. As it should be really, considering it's the second entry in the series.

I enjoyed the puzzles much more in this game than in the original, and that's mainly due to the gadgets you get throughout it which help a lot in terms of variety. In the first game, at some point I ended up only playing it in little bite sized pieces. Things got worn out a bit quicker there. Stealth Inc 1 did throw in different types of obstacles at you as you progressed, but the gadgets that you get throughout the second game I felt changed up the dynamics of what you're doing and how you're thinking about solving the puzzles much more than the first game did. Because of that, I ended up playing this game in much larger chunks and was generally engaged most of the way through. I say "most" mainly because the beginning I thought started off a bit slow, but it definitely picks up.

The metroidvania-esque overworld progression is brilliant. This is definitely the main thing that separates the two games from each other. In the first game, you chose your levels from a level select screen, and that was really it. In this game, there's a whole map to walk around in with the individual test chambers spread about. Basically, it's one big level that hosts a bunch of smaller levels. Each section of test chambers is focused on one gadget. In each section, you go through 7 regular levels, and then a boss. You don't get to take a gadget outside into the overworld until you've completed all of the levels within that particular segment, which I really enjoyed and also found kind of remarkable for a couple reasons. One being because I just like the idea of you having to "master" a particular gadget before you are allowed to carry it with you outside. The second reason is that after you've cleared multiple sections, you'll have multiple gadgets to carry with you only in the overworld. So then it gets to a point where you have to use multiple gadgets to get through parts in the overworld while whatever particular section of test chambers you're on only focuses on one of them. Oh, and if you haven't figured by now, the overworld has it's fair share of puzzles and platforming challenges to clear as you make your way to the other test chambers. While there are parts where you do have to use multiple gadgets to get through sections of the hub, I don't think this aspect of it was as fleshed out as it could have been. The overworld puzzles are generally easier than what you find in the test chambers, but that's a good thing since it gives you moments of relaxation in between the more demanding parts of the game. Still, there was a missed opportunity for more multi-gadget puzzles. I didn't go for many of the optional collectible costume parts that were spread around, though the ones I did get had more challenging puzzles, (at least in comparison to the mandatory sections around it) so that's probably worth mentioning.

I found Stealth Inc 2 to be overall easier than the first game, which was good for me at least. Actually, I ended up giving up on the original because I got stuck somewhere in the last set of levels. I generally suck at puzzle games, so take from that what you will.

There was a much more involved story in this game than in the first. (Not like that it's hard to top) It did a good job of making you feel bad for the clones and made you want to free as many as you could. The end is anti-climatic though. I guess I expected there to be a bit more to it, but there wasn't.

The soundtrack was cool and added a distinctive vibe to the game. I wouldn't say it's amazing, but it's worth putting on earphones for.

So overall, the game was pretty good.

Played some Duskers and it's really cool and very promising.

The two games I was reminded of while playing were Capsule and Deadnaut. The former due to relying on a glitchy sensor screen to explore vessels, the latter due to the concept of exploring derelict ships from a detached distant location.

Duskers drops you into a ship low on supplies in an massive randomly-generated galaxy and you need to jump from abandoned barge to empty capital ship, exploring and gathering much-needed resources

To do that, you control a group of drones. Each drone has three equipment slots, and you can add numerous functions and abilities like a motion sensor or acting as a mobile generator.

You'll need those two. Ships can be huge and you never know what dangers lurk onboard. Perhaps alien entities or an active security system. To succeed, you need to cautiously scan rooms, choose which doors to open, block off dangers.

But the interesting and immersive aspect is that you don't control the drones directly, but by typing in commands. "Navigate 1 r3;gather all" will move drone 1 to the selected room 3 and gather all supplies there. It adds a tactile hands-on feel to the action and makes it even more crucial to plan and think ahead. Because you don't have much time to react if things go wrong.

Some other cool things:
- Locking an alien in a room then interfacing with the ship and activating the on-board defense system. Alien dead.
- Switching between the sterile tactical ship map to the grainy sensor view. The visuals and sound design really add to the atmosphere
- Chaining together a bunch of commands and watching your drones move and act autonomously. The control scheme has a satisfyingly lo-fi sci-fi vibe.

Moobabe

Fear Equation - PC
screenshot_05.jpg

http://fearequation.com/

• Take control of a modified freight train and guide up to 150 passengers through a nightmare fog
  • Send passengers out into the fog to investigate locations, find survivors and bring back supplies
  • Manage defenses, power and resources. But be careful: if you aren't the saviour they need, they'll revolt against you
  • Monitor your passengers' dream logs to discover what kind of horrors will attack the train - and how to defeat them

So this is from the guys who made Deadnaught and Zafehouse Diaries as well, here's a few more screens:

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Cobalt - $11.19 (PC/XB1/XB 360)

EnlightenedJadedBobcat.gif

http://playcobalt.com/

"Cobalt is the brainchild of Oxeye Game Studio, which consists of Jens Bergensten, Daniel Brynolf, and Pontus Hammerberg.

Throughout its long development process it's become become dense with features but the main thing to learn is that you play as a cute cyborg with a passion for 2d multiplayer battles involving extreme slow-mo and combat rolls."
Cobalt takes the stylish, slow mo, gymnastic gunplay of a Hong Kong action flick and marries it with the madcap sensibilities of a Looney Tunes cartoon. It's currently in Alpha, with a full release scheduled for October. The 2D multiplayer arena game is turning into one of my favorite sub genres.

Nabs

Played some Duskers and it's really cool and very promising.

Thanks for the impressions. I could see myself getting into this, but I might wait until it's a bit more polished.

I beat Stealth Inc 2 today. I thought its predecessor was good, but this is a much better game. As it should be really, considering it's the second entry in the series.

Nice review. I recently went back and completed my Stealth Bastard playthrough (I left off during the 2nd or 3rd world/level), and I ended up loving it. I was shocked by how much more I enjoyed the later stages. Stealth Inc 2 is definitely on my radar. I'll be snatching it up when it hits $5 or less, for sure. Shame about the PC launch.

OnPoint

We've announced that Shutshimi has a release date of Weds. August 25 via the Playstation Blog. PS4, Vita and Steam will be coming out at the same time, and the Wii U release will follow at some point after.

Link (with trailer made by JamesID): http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/08/20/shutshimi-coming-to-ps4-ps-vita-august-25th/

We're pretty excited to finally be bringing this expanded version of the game out. Anyone interested in maybe helping me get an OT for it up closer to release day? We could even have a small giveaway with PSN codes.

Moobabe

Interesting, did some research

1) FIG is a new crowdfunding platform started by the most successfully Kickstarted devs to support others games (Brian Fargo, Tim Schafer, Indie Fund, etc.)
2) It's going to be highly curated. Outer Wilds is the first campaign
3) Investors can back as well, and get a share of the revenue

Good stuff man - I only briefly saw it and was a little suspicious. Backed.

Moobabe

Interesting, did some research

1) FIG is a new crowdfunding platform started by the most successfully Kickstarted devs to support others games (Brian Fargo, Tim Schafer, Indie Fund, etc.)
2) It's going to be highly curated. Outer Wilds is the first campaign
3) Investors can back as well, and get a share of the revenue

Wait - this is the Double Fine thing?

This is the first Geometry Wars game I've come in contact with. I didn't know much about the series at all before I picked this up off of PS+. I remember some of my friends back in the 360 days talking about it a lot and I always thought it was some kind of math puzzle game or something.

As one who isn't generally drawn to ship shooter games, or isn't exactly an avid player of dual stick shooters in general, I found this to be really simple and easy to get into. The controls felt slick and responsive, the movement was fluid, the visuals were bright, vibrant, and exciting. There wasn't a period of "getting into the game" really, I was having fun with it right off the bat.

The game has a lot more variety than what I had initially expected. At first, I thought the spice would only come in forms of variations in the geometric stage layouts and numerous enemy types, but it's often throwing completely different gameplay styles at you that would give you a different goal aside from just "shooting these enemies without dying." I suppose it mostly dials down to that, but there was definitely enough variation to keep me satisfied and even surprised at multiple points throughout the game. One of my favorite levels took away the shooting aspect completely, and instead had you focused on flying through gates that would then explode and take out whatever enemies were around you, while rewarding you with the deserved points of course.

The game gets very hectic. If you want to mindlessly play through it, you should have fun. Well, you can't be too mindless. You definitely have to be attentive and alert. It's not an easy game, but I also rarely got stuck. Mastering levels takes a good deal of deliberation and finesse. Settling for one star was a bit too straightforward for most of them, but going for the maximum of 3 stars was usually too demanding for my tastes. Aiming for 2 stars was the sweet spot for me. There are bosses in the game, but they tend to be the easiest levels to pass with 3 stars in my experience. That last boss though was ridiculous and is a huge difficulty spike in comparison to the rest of the game. I was struggling to beat it for a while, but then I watched it being done on YouTube and realized that i'm good with not being able to complete it and moved on, lol.

There are also drones you can buy and upgrade that do different things to help you out in combat. There are two different types. One has a finite amount of usage per level, and the other is indefinite. There are a few different models that you unlock throughout the game, and those can help alter/define your general strategy/playstyle. If you find that one combination isn't working out well for you in a certain level, switching up your drones can help. Though, I often found myself sticking with the same setup and only felt the need to change it up a few times.

The style and look of this game is pretty on point, (as I hope you can tell by looking at screenshots) and it really comes together great in motion. Its soundtrack meshes well with the game's aesthetic. The fast paced electronic music helps you get in the zone and keeps you focused so you can output the best performance possible, and even if I don't think the music is generally that great (there are like 2 stand outs but most of them are just "okay" imo) it's still worth putting on earphones for that reason alone.

I only played through Adventure Mode. There were a few other modes that I didn't get to try, so I don't have anything to say on those, but yeah, the game is quite engaging and enjoyable.

Well I can't miss out on that deal then. I don't have an impossibly large backlog like a lot of people so I imagine I should get to playing it sometime next week.

No need to worry about Outer Wilds not getting funded
"Right now we have over half a million dollars of expressed interest to invest into Outer Wilds. We're currently vetting that amount, going through it with the investors. We're actually having discussions with Mobius Digital about taking on investment; right now they've capped investment at $50,000 which we already have. Obviously we have ten times more than that lined up."

Investors had offered $250,000 by the end of the first day, a total that rose to $500,000 by the end of the second and is continuing to climb.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-08-20-investors-go-wild-for-new-funding-platform-fig

TwistedSyn

Not sure if you would put this in the Indie category but this was released this morning.

Half-Line Miami - FREE (PC)
X2pXp3z.jpg

http://stabberthomas.itch.io/hlm

Half-Line Miami is a video game mashup between Half-Life 2 and Hotline Miami.

Features:

-8 thematic levels, one for every region in Half-Life 2
-A fantastic soundtrack by SUNG (https://soundcloud.com/sung_music)
-A Level editor, and a forum to upload your maps
-Relentless gravity-gun fun

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LONXhIwrtd0

They werent before? Tell me more, curious about the progression/variety.

Progression is slow, they are supposed to grow in real time fashion, though some songs that play may influence the growth of the plants but I'm not sure

Progression is deliberately very slow - water them daily, sing to the snail, get plants weekly (or buy a couple with money)

You dont even need to water the plants daily, since they are like the real succulent plants you just need to water it once a week.

Between Me & The Night - September (PC)
rWToivb.gif

http://raindancelx.com/

Between Me And The Night is a videogame that dwells in duality: good vs. evil; sanity vs. insanity; day vs. night. The Day and Night is one of the core gameplay features. During the Day the player will have the opportunity of exploring and interacting with the floating house, solving puzzles to get access to new rooms of this house and to boost his own skills – that will come in handy at night. During the Night the player can try to stay awake and continue to explore the house or enter a new world of fantasy and adventure.

Planetscape: Torment is $3.99 on GOG, very tempted to get it. How does it run on Windows 8

---
Been anticipated this one for a while, the release totally snuck up on me.

In Between - Free demo, $11.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
5506ec0337154791153120.jpg

http://gentlymad.org/game/inbetween

In Between is set inside the mind of a man hit by a cruel twist of fate. Together you are on a journey through the protagonist's head, a world that doesn’t obey the laws of physics. Free your mind and defy gravity in more than 60 compelling and unique puzzles, requiring all your wits and agility.

Moobabe

Planetscape: Torment is $3.99 on GOG, very tempted to get it. How does it run on Windows 8

Tempted? TEMPTED?! TEMPTED?!?!?!?!?

You should buy it

So I posted my review of Viridi in which I make the claim that it's a nice distraction from the world - and the world of gaming - before giving a list off the top of my head of various "issues" in the gaming world: pre-order bonuses, DLC, GamerGate ruining lives one year on, too many games, early access abuse etc

I got a comment today saying that:

It's a good thing that movements like gamergate exist, showing that gamers are more than women-hating white males living in their basement. They've successfully shown that it doesn't matter if you're white, black, man or woman, the gaming community is open for everyone. Not to mention that they've collected over $70.000 especially for helping women developing games! We need more movements like that...

Ok, what lives have they ruined? The lives of journalists who now have to work with an ethics policy? Srsly what do you think gamergate does? Maybe inform yourself next time before your give your opinion about a movement you apparently know nothing about.

I guess.. I mean... wait what?

I guess.. I mean... wait what?
A year later, #GG is still a font of completely unbiased reasonable wisdom.

Oh wait it's opposite day
---
Anyway, picked up Torment, couldn't resist for $4 and...it crashes instantly. Great
---
And Duskers continues to be awesome. I can't wait to see where the devs take the game. There's something so satisfying about controlling the game through command lines. You never have to use the mouse, so it's really immersive.
I really regret not getting it before the devs reached out, I had been on the fence, but now I see it's something I would have bought so fast if I had known more about the gameplay. I'm actually considering getting a gift copy through Humble to support the devs

At The Mountains of Madness - PC, Mac, Linux
CNAgWGrWEAAJunY.png

https://mountainsgame.wordpress.com/
At the Mountains of Madness is a Indie Lovecraftian PC game based in the novel by H.P. Lovecraft
Back in the 1930’s you play in first-person perspective by the geologist William Dyer, a professor at Miskatonic University, as if in the hope to deter a planned and much publicized scientific expedition to Antarctica in search of undiscovered fossils and zones unexplored by man.

Dot Matrix Hero - ????
CNAmGtQVAAA6q31.png

http://www.dotwarriorgames.com/dotmatrixhero

Dot Matrix Hero is a part indie game dev simulator and part roguelike action RPG. Play as a developer working on a homegrown JRPG implementing new stages, weapons, and featuers. By night play as the hero of that unfinished RPG defeating bugs and various monsters!

Enter The Flesh Again - ????
11164641_447664342058064_3790667111922036552_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/enterthefleshagain

Enter The Flesh Again" is a game about reincarnation, with the goal of escaping an endless cycle of death and rebirth. Based on The Tibetan Book Of The Dead and the basic principles of Buddhism, this game will take you on a journey through dark, twisted, but also magnificent and bright places while exploring the oceans of the mind.

Relapse - 2016
CNAx29SWoAAC6O5.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/BlueprintGames

A survival horror game with puzzle elements

Earth Taken 3
11889554_588959101247005_9190533633825474466_n.png

http://seethingswarm.newgrounds.com/news/post/939377

Black rain, radiation, alien attack dogs (Leapers), aliens, brainwashed soldiers, and all the items and weapons including the much-loved Combat Knife and Laser Cannon
Open world, mech suits, mercenaries for hire, new enemies, and more

The Way of Life - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
CNAWVIyWsAQR-nr.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310370/

This exploration game has 3 main characters: a business man, an old man and a child. They find themselves on a road which is apparently the same, but changes upon their perception of reality.

3001sq - ????
CNAI46aWgAAb--2.jpg

http://3001sq.net/

3001SQ is an online-multiplayer space colonization game, or, we prefer, a 'space colonization simulator'.

The Mooseman - Free demo (PC)
4.jpg

http://mooseman.ru/

The Mooseman is an atmospheric 2D adventure game set in the mysterious lands of Perm chud’ tribes. The player's avatar is the Mooseman; a mythological character from perm animal style objects, which we were greatly inspired by.
You are a shaman and you have the ability to see the mysterious spirit world. You are about to visit three layers of this universe - the first one is the lower world where dwell ancients gods and spirits of the dead...

Brute - PC, Mac, Linux
hunter.gif

http://crudepixel.com/brute/

Brute is a minimalist shooter puzzle-ish something or other.
100 Levels across 20 stages, 3 Speedrun modes

Heroes of Yggdrasil - ????

Previously Mentioned

Rain World

Satellite Reign

Steredenn

Dawn of the Ronin

Niffelheim - Late 2015
screenshot_1.jpg

http://www.niffelheim.com/

The game narrates a story of a fallen brave warrior, whose burning ship is stolen by the demons of death in Niffelheim. Demons resurrect the hero to help them realize their sinister plans.
Players will have to work and fight a lot in this hostile world, as well as hunt and trade, build, destroy and complete many narrative and secondary quests. There will be a lot of battles, where players will have to fight off swarms of evil inhabitants of the world of Niffelheim.

Groundfall - ????
BogusTartAnaconda.gif

http://groundfall.com/

Drawing inspiration from Battlestar Galactica, Gratuitous Space Battles, Homeworld and Deep Space Settlement, Groundfall plunges you into voxelized space warfare. Start the game with your large - though vulnerable - Fleet Command. Amass wealth and build an armada. Take your fleets to other solar systems to expand your empire.
Oh, and when you do end up encountering enemy ships? Blow them to hell with satisfying voxel explosions.

Blacksea Odyssey - 2016 (Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One)
bjuJtLR.gif

http://blackseaodyssey.com/

Blacksea Odyssey is a 2D top down shoot em up about hunting giant space creatures!
You play as an old man who has entered the deadliest competition in the galaxy, the "Blacksea Odyssey"! Four of the bravest huntsman compete in capturing bounties for the largest space creatures that exist! Only the sole champion of the competition is then awarded the honor of encountering the Titan of the Stars! Legend says no one has ever lived to tell a tale about the Titan. Will you be the first?

20,000 Leagues Above the Clouds - PC, Consoles
ADsSKb0.gif

http://20000above.com/

An expedition through a wondrous world full of floating islands, sky pirates, and strange civilizations.
Your start out high over the thick layer of clouds. Eventually however, curiosity and circumstances beyond your control will bring you and your crew to the even stranger world awaiting on the other side…

Keyhole - ????
CKOEcXfWoAAQsNw.png

http://keyholegame.com/

Keyhole is a timeline exploration game where the player’s actions affect the future of the world and its inhabitants, and every action can be undone at any time. As the player travels back and forth along the timeline, items are moved from character to character, creating new branches of reality.

Robot Space Labs - ????
9-Robot-Space-Labs-800x200.jpg

http://aipanic.com/robotspacelabs

Robot Space Labs is a space exploration and asteroid mining game that is entirely centered around peaceful research with autonomous robots. Rather than controlling the robots directly, they’re fully autonomous and you manage them by planning the construction of new factories, excavate minerals, and research and upgrade technology in laboratories. Different missions, materials and environmental hazards such as radioactivity, solar winds and meteor collisions add challenge and diversity to the game.

Top Bottom