• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [June] Now Voting - Post 423!

Wow that's way more than I thought. It's a Mac Mini though, with a shitty gpu:

8sXEbAo.png

Still good enough?
You have pretty close specs to my laptop (Intel i5 + Intel HD 5500), and I can run most indies and even some AAA games like Tomb Raider and Arkham City. You should be fine

Nozem

You have pretty close specs to my laptop (Intel i5 + Intel HD 5500), and I can run most indies and even some AAA games like Tomb Raider and Arkham City. You should be fine

Awesome, thanks! Better than expected. I read that PS4 controllers work with a Mac, so that's also really cool. Time to download Steam I guess :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Awesome, thanks! Better than expected. I read that PS4 controllers work with a Mac, so that's also really cool. Time to download Steam I guess :)

Plenty of cool non-steam or browser games too, for example Card Hunter, which I am still playing after 1-2 years:
http://www.cardhunter.com/

On a similar note, Tales of Maj Eyal has OSX versions too:
http://te4.org/download

There you go, years of content :p

Summer Sale's pretty much over. Back to our regularly scheduled program

TIS-100
It's a new Zachtronics puzzle game, you know what that means
giphy.gif

My brain. It hurts

TIS-100 takes the core abstract programming concept seen in SpaceChem and it distills that even further. Don't let the simple veneer fool you. This is one hard-as-nails puzzler

Exanima
I'm both pleased and disappointed with Exanima. The latter because I learned after the fact that it's actually a stand-alone prelude to a larger project that's still in development. And the actual dungeon crawling is kind of bare bones. Environments are samey, and of course being Early Access, it's lacking in other areas

But god damn, the combat. It's physics based, and while at times it feels more like pulling a puppet around rather than controlling a person, when you get a rhythm down and are in the heat of fight, it's so so satisfying. There's an arena mode that's very helpful in learning the ins and outs of the combat, and that's all I've been playing.

It's so much fun. It feels desperate and realistic. Attacks have weight and force behind them, and blows and misses will throw you off balance. Bodies and blades get tangled up and pushed around. It's Demons Souls' "Don't use broadswords or pole-arms in a narrow corridor" logic expanded with realistic physics. It's Mount and Blade directional combat, but 100x's better.

Neon Struct
A true stealth game. This is a game where ghosting and avoiding conflict is the goal. You don't even have a way to kill enemies. Reviews have likened it to a mix of Thief and Deus Ex, and that's a good description. Infilitrating through cyberpunk facilities, using gadgets and timing to stay hidden. It's an easy recommendation for fans of the genre

Camp 1
From its first moment, Camp 1 delivers an atmosphere of depressing misery and isolation. You are a laborer at a penal camp for a nameless company, working on a remote planet. The visuals sell that ambiance superbly, with the endless expanse of darkness and snow outside, the dim gray environments and poorly lit interiors. It just feels like a cold miserable place.
This is your last day in the camp, one last job loading cargo onto orbiting deep space freighters. In adventure game fashion, you point and click and perform actions to complete this task, but along the way, dark secrets are uncovered. It's a story best experienced yourself.

Crosscode
Only played the demo that was released during the Indiegogo, but this game is already very promising. Tight controls, fun combat, interesting story. I'm eager to see Crosscode expand in the months to come

---

1) Invisible Inc
2) TIS-100
3) Exanima
4) Not A Hero
5) Neon Struct
5) Camp 1
7) Crosscode
8) Badland

So now that the Sale's over, what other indie titles are you looking forward to this summer? Only other thing I'm really looking forward to is Feist

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Her Story sounds remarkable.

Also posting on reddit kind of blows - I have to wait 8 minutes between posting?

Have had my pre-order in for quite a long time, can't wait for the key to drop in my inbox in a few days and take it for a spin. Barlow earned a lot of points with me for his interesting approach to humanizing Harry Mason in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, so I'm eager to witness how he'll fare in a more intimate setting.

So now that the Sale's over, what other indie titles are you looking forward to this summer? Only other thing I'm really looking forward to is Feist

I dunno really, I find myself forgetting a lot of indie games that are on the close horizon at times. If anyone know about any site that archives indie game release dates and presents them in a nice 'things to mark in your diary' format then I would love that, although the nature of a lot of games is that they just can't fix down a set date for release.

I got one, Mushroom 11 should be here in the next few months. Looking forward to that one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

...STORYTELLER

>:-(

Phawx

My Quick Look of Unveil is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6xWjKZ2F9w

ss_935fec219c2271f0f5df26ffcbcaa49763892364.600x338.jpg

Quick Impressions: Unveil looks and feels like a pretty decent RPG Maker game initially but very quickly becomes something that feels not like an RPG Maker game. In fact only the movement feels like RPG maker, everything else feels uniquely done.

First the menu/crafting system is very well done and only takes around a minute to fully understand how it operates and what possibilities are afforded from base elements.
You're also given contextual information about your surroundings as well as the direct type of material you are currently standing on (which can have it's own compromises) Sand isn't good for growing plants and requires more energy to walk through.

The UI is minimalist and has an alert system which can notify you of things that should cause concern. The temperature will wobble when it's getting too cold. Your energy will oscillate depending on exertion.

The first "tutorial" is more an indication of the brutal trial that await you. Essentially the "tutorial" doesn't tell you what you need to do, instead it robs you of ways to survive making you try new things to try and advance. Let me give you a brief summary of my quick look.

When I first set out, I died of thirst almost immediately. On my second round, I managed to quickly make it to water and drink up. I believe I actually could have succeeded on my first trip, but I didn't know that you had to climb the ledge to get to the town.

On my third round, I managed to survive the night. On my fourth round I survived the night and the following day but then the water pool dried up completely, so I followed the dried up water basin to see if it would leave to a hidden passage. It only lead to fruit that would hydrate me a bit. So, essentially just increased the time between my death sentence.

At first I didn't like the "tutorial" because I felt it was being purposely obtuse, but then I remembered that one Simpsons episode when the Simpsons go to Japan and the Japanese game show host says, "In America, you reward intelligence. In Japan, we punish ignorance."

This game is kind of like a Japanese game show.​

If you are on the TinyBuild mailing list, they just posted out download links to the E3 demo of Punch Club. Well worth checking out if you have the chance, it is not the most complex of sim but the events that occur in that demo alone are pretty bananas and if they can keep it up then that might just be a rather special game.

Phawx

If you are on the TinyBuild mailing list, they just posted out download links to the E3 demo of Punch Club. Well worth checking out if you have the chance, it is not the most complex of sim but the events that occur in that demo alone are pretty bananas and if they can keep it up then that might just be a rather special game.

You can find the public link here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...he_90s_boxing_tycoon_E3_Demo_is_righthere.php

They also sent out another press mailing list for Dungelot Shattered Lands with a PC demo, but I can't find that at gamasutra yet.

Lagrangian Point - PC
LP1_sceenshot_004.jpg

http://www.hindsightgames.co.uk/LP1/

Lagrangian Point is a 2D, top down tactical space combat game which focuses on ship customisability, destruction and highly controllable space combat while you engage in colossal space battles between two competing factions. Take your ship and link up with friends to engage in co-op adventures or epic multiplayer conflicts.

Shaded Chasm - ????
4a17c79d10295c8c898350e4ec60e2a4.png

https://www.behance.net/gallery/26079959/shaded-chasm

Shaded Chasm is, at the most basic level, a 2D-animated, horror-themed RPG. In the game, every single action matters. Consequences will follow you throughout the story and give you the opportunity for discovering a unique route all your own. In addition to expansive narrative, decision making, and scares, the game will feature quests, puzzle-solving, riddles, fast-paced melee combat, romance pursuits, and boss battles

Adaeus - ????
adaeus_forest.png

http://omgwtfgames.net/about/

Adaeus is a 2D exploration-based sci-fi platformer with a heavy emphasis on RPG elements, including a skill system that employs a high-tech programmable ranged weapon that utilizes mod chips found throughout the course of the game to customize attacks. You play as Zal Addler as he investigates the mysterious assault on the uranium mine and uncovers the secrets of the planet of Adaeus.

Void Vikings - $1, Free alpha (PC, Browser)
Jy0hIOx.gif

http://www.voidvikings.com/

Void Vikings is an action packed 2.5D top down space shooter. Pilot three different ships with special maneuvers and each with their own fantastic abilities to destroy your enemies. Pillage loot they leave behind to outfit your ship becoming even more powerful. Warp from system to system to take on larger and stronger waves of enemies. Death is the end but the glory from your battle will carry on.

Game Over - Free (Browser)
3IhOZPol.png

http://studioblackflag.com/GameOver.html

Game Over is an abstract journey in a colorful world. It's an Escher-esque Isometric Platformer where the perspective is constantly tricking you. Game Over is a chill and simple game, yet it invites you to wear your speedrunner costume in order to find all the shortcuts hidden in it's tortuous levels. Game Over is in early beta, do not hesitate to share any bugs or feedback!

Toma

I am trying to be open minded about basically all games, but I noticed more and more over the past 1-2 years, that I am increasingly fed up with minecraft style games (I think we already talked about that gameplay aspect, but I am specifically referring to the art style now). It totally makes sense why that development is happening, there is a whole generation growing up with Minecraft as THE baseline for videogames, so of course there would be plenty of others emulating it, considering that it would be an art style that is liked by millions.

But... seeing a new dungeon crawler on Steam, that gets some decent reviews only to notice its another game with a minecraft style artstyle is.... disappointing. I still like seeing Minecraft in Minecraft, btw.

I am trying to be open minded about basically all games, but I noticed more and more over the past 1-2 years, that I am increasingly fed up with minecraft style games (I think we already talked about that gameplay aspect, but I am specifically referring to the art style now). It totally makes sense why that development is happening, there is a whole generation growing up with Minecraft as THE baseline for videogames, so of course there would be plenty of others emulating it, considering that it would be an art style that is liked by millions.

But... seeing a new dungeon crawler on Steam, that gets some decent reviews only to notice its another game with a minecraft style artstyle is.... disappointing. I still like seeing Minecraft in Minecraft, btw.
Cough Barony cough...

On a more innovative note, Her Story is out

Her Story - $5 (PC, Mac, IOS)
n0aO6Pi.jpg

http://www.herstorygame.com/

In 1994 a British woman is interviewed seven times about her missing husband. This is her story.
A crime fiction game with non-linear storytelling, Her Story revolves around a police database full of live action video footage.

---

Trubadurr - Free (PC)
tumblr_nqcvq4qbzd1si4jeeo3_r1_500.gif

http://bluelemon.itch.io/trubadurr

"Lasting around 15 minutes...Trubadurr is a very impressive and highly polished puzzle action platformer in which your ammo is live (literally) – you fire little imps that cling to you"

Moobabe

Yeah I saw that this morning too - it's a look that doesn't do much for me either. I like Minecraft, I used to LOVE Minecraft (back when it was cool) and the art style really worked in its favour. It doesn't seem to work so well for anything else that isn't Lego though.

On more innovative note, Her Story is out

Now we're talking.

But back to Minecraft thing, the take on the art style makes or breaks a game for me

Like Fugl looks awesome

Barony on the other hand?

Thing is though, while the art style is somewhat overdone, I think you can say that for many art styles. Pixel art? Abstract/minimalism? ASCII? It comes down to the tone, atmosphere, art design, and other aspects, rather than the aesthetic itself. Look at Cogmind or Rain World or Shape of the World

Moobabe

But back to Minecraft thing, the take on the art style makes or breaks a game for me

Thing is though, while the art style is somewhat overdone, I think you can say that for many art style. Pixel art? Abstract/minimalism? ASCII? It comes down to the tone, atmosphere, art design, and other aspects, rather than the aesthetic itself. Look at Cogmind or Rain World or Shape of the World

I agree - it's always down to the take on a style. Barony apes Minecraft though; it looks almost identical.

arcanadei

So glad to hear other people say it. I never liked Minecraft, hate that so many games copy the look of it and the huge upswing in crafting games and tacking on crafting elements to games. It just isn't for me. I did the HB pre-order for Her Story and my redemption page is still showing as 'you can download it here when it's ready'. Anyone able to grab it yet?

Moobabe

So glad to hear other people say it. I never liked Minecraft, hate that so many games copy the look of it and the huge upswing in crafting games and tacking on crafting elements to games. It just isn't for me. I did the HB pre-order for Her Story and my redemption page is still showing as 'you can download it here when it's ready'. Anyone able to grab it yet?

I just picked it up on Steam - can't help you with HB :(

Minecraft is awesome IMO. I dislike building, but as an exploration game, it's one of the best. There's something very satisfying about setting up a home base and then setting out...somewhere, just choose a direction and go. Who knows what awaits over that hill? Setting up outposts or carefully descending into deep caverns or climbing up towering mountains

SerTapTap

The problem with copying the minecraft looks is that so many keep the exact same pixel resolution and voxel size, making it literally a retexture of the same exact style, and they usually lack any shaders/other complexities to differentiate it. Meter-wide voxels are pretty ridiculously oversized for a first person perspective anyway, annoying to see how common it is with games like Resogun showing how awesome voxels CAN be.

In unrelated news I'm finally catching up on my review stuff. I started with Dogforce because it's some good, stupid fun. You're a dog and you're scored by how dog-like you act.

Toma

The problem with copying the minecraft looks is that so many keep the exact same pixel resolution and voxel size, making it literally a retexture of the same exact style.

IF it even is a retexture. Plenty of similar games that basically use slightly altered stock textures

SerTapTap

IF it even is a retexture. Plenty of similar games that basically use slightly altered stock textures

Yeah, that's true, a lot have barely-altered grass/etc stuff. Which is kind of weird, Minecraft grass doesn't look remotely like real grass (grass flows down hillsides) so unless you're making a 2D game it's really weird to copy that "only on the top of the block" look.

Toma

Yeah, that's true, a lot have barely-altered grass/etc stuff. Which is kind of weird, Minecraft grass doesn't look remotely like real grass (grass flows down hillsides) so unless you're making a 2D game it's really weird to copy that "only on the top of the block" look.

As I said, just making a game that people are comfortable with. Many, many players enjoy this look, so its emulated as there are like 30million people loving it. Makes sense, I just dont like it :p

SerTapTap

I like low-res unfiltered textures but I'm not a fan of box(wo)men.

The box people are the worst, I hate seeing clones of that look. Low-res unfiltered textures are fine but I don't like how insanely low Minecraft is. Mega Man Legends style, now THAT is the good shit. It's like pixel art painted on low poly, not this fake boxy stuff or pseudo-pixelart voxels. I can stand "not retro pixel art", stuff like Mega Sphere, Rainworld, Superbrothers, but this...I dunno, fake-retro that doesn't look like real retro, that just bugs me. Like that "pixel" mario amiibo.

Well this looks cool

BitUp - 2016 (PC, PS4)
xcvqwe4d.jpg

http://www.bitupgame.com/

Inspired by early 90's action side scrollers and late 90's adventure games, players must aid Bit in its quest to find out what lies beyond. The game will feature a Hack-N'-Slash gameplay inspired gameplay. Think Samurai Shodown meets Megaman, coupled with item collection mechanics that reward exploration, a nonlinear level structure with tons of hidden content, and 3D-Impresionist look inspired by early 90's games, but as seen through the eyes of the habitants of the digital world.

Moobabe

Well this looks cool

BitUp - 2016 (PC, PS4, PS Vita)

Yeah I just saw you tweet this - looks really cool.

In other news I refunded a couple of games on Steam today. The Long Dark (which I bought because I got sucked into the hype from my friends, played half an hour and realised it was a first person survival game) and, unfortunately, Duck Game. For some reason the game hates my internet and I can't play much at all :(

Toma

In other news I refunded a couple of games on Steam today. The Long Dark (which I bought because I got sucked into the hype from my friends, played half an hour and realised it was a first person survival game) and, unfortunately, Duck Game. For some reason the game hates my internet and I can't play much at all :(

What did your friends even tell you? I mean.. its clear its a first person survival game :p

I'm liking The Long Dark. The completely realistic approach is my kind of thing. And the art style is great

Moobabe

What did your friends even tell you? I mean.. its clear its a first person survival game :p

No I know it is - but that's *all* it is if that makes sense? I think had it been the first one I played I would have loved it - but I've played a whole host of others now, many unfinished, and this felt one step too far.

Plus I have 300 games in my Steam library...

I'm liking The Long Dark. The completely realistic approach is my kind of thing. And the art style is great

It does look fantastic, that's for sure.

Toma

No I know it is - but that's *all* it is if that makes sense? I think had it been the first one I played I would have loved it - but I've played a whole host of others now, many unfinished, and this felt one step too far.

Plus I have 300 games in my Steam library...

So its more a case of "Another one..."?

Moobabe

So its more a case of "Another one..."?

Yeah - it's a shame because it's clearly very good and very well made - but I wish I'd come to it first. There's a real sense of survival game apathy at the moment, not just from me I'm sure.

Shapes of Gray - $6 (PC)
yaLy7CA.gif

http://secret-tunnel.itch.io/shapes-of-gray

Shapes of Gray is a fast-paced, stripped-down action-arcade game about rapidly descending through a series of seconds-long levels, each one containing a unique combat-puzzle challenge. Use your enemies' attacks against each other to get the high score and complete arcade challenges all while jamming out to a totally rad indie-punktronic micro-soundtrack.

Voxatron - $19.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
tumblr_nnd6u9OJYQ1tah9pwo2_250.gif

http://www.lexaloffle.com/voxatron.php

Voxatron is a fantasy console and collection of games made entirely out of voxels (little colourful cubes, kind of). The Alpha version comes with an arena shooter and action-adventure cartridges as well as powerful design tools to make your own voxelly games!

SerTapTap

Shapes of Gray - $6 (PC)

Voxatron - $19.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)

I've been trying to find Pico 8 for ages, I knew I heard of this pretend-console thing. Makes more sense than that fake-retro "cartridge" based system that's coming to kickstarter or whatever to me. Would be interesting if people started making games with those tools.

Top Bottom