• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [September] Lets talk about anything Indie

Nabs

Yup, picked it up finally. Do the games introduce any other puzzle mechanics later on?

It should teach you everything you need to know within the first 15 minutes. Just remember that Hexcells is essentially a tutorial, and Hexcells Plus/Infinite is where the magic happens.

For the new page:

Good Weeklong Deals:

Divide By Sheep - $0.99
Hexcells Complete - $2.69
Consortium - $2.99
Prophour23 - $4.89

PlainSlightGilamonster.gif

simpsons-fire.gif

A look back at September 2014 and how indies have progressed (or not) in a year

Aliens, Trolls and Dragons - Last update in May, regular progress
Among The Willows - On hold, dev working on Mable
Bullet Dancer - Dead, no updates since last August
Captain Forever Remix - On Steam Early Access
Caromble - Last update in July
Cavern Kings - Successful Kickstarter, on Steam Early Access
Dead Cells - Seems to be dead, no recent progress
Dog Park - Still in development
Drift Stage - Successful Kickstarter, regular progress
Eitr - Picked up by Devolver, coming to PS4, shown at E3
End of Transmission - Last update in Feburary
Exception - Was Greenlit, releasing early 2016
Firewatch - Shown at E3, coming to PS4
FreezeME - Kickstarter failed, still in development
Genesis Noir - No progress since last year
Gloomwood - Still in development, dev posting daily on Twitter
Hazewalker - Kickstarter cancelled, site is dead
Hidden Asset - Still in development, last devlog video in August
In The Shadows - Still in development, recent progress
Into Blue Valley - Finished and released
Neptune, Have Mercy - Kickstarter failed, still in development
Obey - Released on Steam Early Access
Orphan - Still in development, last KS update in August
Pollen - Beta testing started in June
Project Giants - Last update in January
Renowned Explorers - Releasing this month
Satellite Rush - Kickstarter failed last month
Seasons After Fall - Still in development, last update in April
Stardust Vanguards - Finished and released
Tiny Wizard - Still in development
Toren - Finished and released
Twelve Minutes - Last update in August
Victor Vran - Finished and released
Yes, Your Grace - Successful Kickstarter, regular development
Zarvot - Still in development, was featured at PAX Prime

And a quick glance at September 2013 reveals that:
  • Deios, Finding Teddy, Life Goes On, Lily Looking Through, Neverending Nightmares, Schein, Teslagrad, 1849, Murder in the Hotel Lisbon, Dungeon of the Endless, Framed, Interstellaria, Mines of Mars, Shadow Warrior, The Floor is Jelly, Tower of Guns have all been finished and released
  • Sky Rogue, SpeedRunners, AdventurOS, Before, Crawl, Curse, Death Road To Canada, Extrasolar, Into the Wylde Abyss, Myriad, Regret, We Shall Wake are still in development with recent progress
  • A Touch of Moonlight, Irkalla, The Stomping Land, and numerous others are abandoned or have made little progress

Moobabe

I got some DOTA 2 merch (finally) in the post today and got an item worth like £105 on the Steam marketplace.

That's my indie games sorted for the next 6 months!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I got some DOTA 2 merch (finally) in the post today and got an item worth like £105 on the Steam marketplace.

If I'd spend as much money on Indies as I'd want to, that would be enough for one month... maybe.

@$10-15 a game, that's like 16 games. I'd say three months :p

Anything you're definitely getting now that you have some expendable $$?

Moobabe

@$10-15 a game, that's like 16 games. I'd say three months :p

Anything you're definitely getting now that you have some expendable $$?

I'm waiting for it to sell - but there's nothing I absolutely HAVE to have. There's a bunch of stuff I'm interested in depending on impressions.

I'm waiting for it to sell - but there's nothing I absolutely HAVE to have. There's a bunch of stuff I'm interested in depending on impressions.
The Flame in the Flood and SOMA this month...

Anyway, I've been playing the new Outer Wilds build/demo and it's been a while since I played that game, so it almost feels like a new experience

Let's just say I was kind of shocked and annoyed when I was exploring some subterranean ruins only to be teleported across the solar system, running out of oxygen and my ship on another planet

Moobabe

The Flame in the Flood and SOMA this month...

Anyway, I've been playing the new Outer Wilds build/demo and it's been a while since I played that game, so it almost feels like a new experience

Let's just say I was kind of shocked and annoyed when I was exploring some subterranean ruins only to be teleported across the solar system, running out of oxygen and my ship on another planet

Flame in the flood is out this month?!

Good enough for me! SOMA looks interesting but I couldn't even play Amnesia so I doubt SOMA will do it for me.
Same here, regarding Amnesia. But I already preordered SOMA. Sci-f horror is like catnip for me, plus the devs are going for more cerebral horror. Horror from the themes and narrative
It's also important to point out that SOMA relies on very different scare tactics. In Amnesia the focus was on having a "haunted house"-style ride where creepy supernatural things could pop up any point. Most of the scares were all about inducing primal "afraid of the dark"-like responses. SOMA, on the other hand, derives much of its horror from the subject matter. The real terror will not just come from hard-wired gut reactions, but from thinking about your situation and the events that unfold from it.

Phawx

Same here, regarding Amnesia. But I already preordered SOMA. Sci-f horror is like catnip for me, plus the devs are going for more cerebral horror. Horror from the themes and narrative

I read a quick thing on SOMA and it seems like it is supposed to mess with your head regarding killing stuff.

At least a part of it.

1) STASIS
2) Duskers
3) Galactic Keep
4) Flywrench
5) INK
6) Super Mutant Alien Assault
7) Dandy

---

Impressions coming in a bit

Galactic Keep
Flywrench
Dandy

From the Frozen Synapse crowd? Lukewarm at best I think
Ah, okay, think I'll pass for now and save for Flame In The Flood. I just learned the game is going to have an AI-driven ecosystem (sound familiar?). Test video showed stuff like luring predators to fight each other or capturing prey animals to distract predators. Love stuff like that.

Phawx

My Quick Look on Bounty Train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHMkxhRGpdE

ss_b4c1d9b9166dc30bb8472d83e9e8ecd829bcc38a.600x338.jpg

Quick Impressions: When I read "Train Sim" and "Roguelike" in the same sentence, the disturbing amount of brain cycles I spent looping through the possibilities that type of game would amount to was.. well, disturbing. Unnatural, I say.

I was a huge fan of FTL, even when the expansion just came out that added some neat new stuff I plunked in another 20 hours.

Bounty Train is *almost* FTL. There are some parts that are similar in scope but the changes made to the formula wind up bringing the game down. I should preface that I am totally comfortable with differing styles of gameplay and that there is no one-true-way to do anything, it's just that there are certain things you shouldn't do when making a Roguelike.

So first is the problem of progression. Bounty Train has a hard deadline, but there is a ton of backpedaling. For whatever reason, even though you own most of the train lines, you have to pay a license to travel to new locales. And the licenses aren't cheap. This introduces a failstate that will happen often in Bounty Train, lack of funds. Which is fine, in and of itself, but you don't really make any forward progress because you need to cart goods back and forth between the first two starting points to gain enough money to expand your train/crew.

All of this can be learned with a few playthroughs so that you can actually start advancing but then comes the second problem.

The randomness is dull and completely bogus. These are the levels of randomness to Bounty Train:

• In between hubs, you'll find one of four different factions that will either impede or aid your progress.
  • At the hubs, you'll sometimes find different people to transport or hire (but many times they are exactly the same).
  • In City Hall you'll have to deliver or retrieve X items

For a large part of the game, the most valuable missions are the ones where you need to find X and bring it back to the city with N number of days (or be penalized in the form of money) But the problem is X can be something that might not even be available at the next city or any of the other cities you've been to complete the quest. So you basically can only take the quests where you can guarantee goods exist at a certain location or you gamble that it will be on the next stop. Which is a huge gamble because the license to go to the next place will most likely tap you out.

The combat section is the best part of the game but it's handled a little hamfisted as well. You need to explicitly tell all of your men what to do before they do it. Like if there is a fire adjacent to your character, they'll just sit there and let the place burn instead of trying to put it out. Likewise, if two people are fighting, your guy won't automatically join in to help out, they'll just watch until you tell them to get their ass in gear.

I realize that the game is still in Early Access so I'll give them a pass as they tweak the game, but there are a lot of hard gotchas in Bounty Train that can really weigh heavy on my interest for it. It also doesn't help that you have to click on the same starting dialogue every time you restart your game.​

Similar to my impressions of that game too. Other then the stuff you posted I found the game lacked a certain level of snappyness with how quick your troops accept and carry out orders which grew to annoy over time. Especially once my train became crowded. I think their is potential in Bounty Train but in its current state then it will be needing a lot of work before it gets there.

Rocket League is so good. I usually can't get into MP games; the only ones I ever put any time into were AC Brotherhood and Nidhogg

Usually I hate how you have to sink hours and hours to see good gear and perks and weapons, and it sucks going up against skilled players with all the best gear while you only have starting or early weapons. Competitive MP never really fun for me

Here, there's nothing to unlock. It's all skill based. Everyone's on the same playing field. And the movement alone is so fun; jumping off the wall or boosting through the air to intercept the ball is so satisfying

I'm going to be sinking a lot of time into Rocket League

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
So Phil Fish just dropped a link to Panoramical, with a Polytron logo and apparently releasing on the 17th. I mean obviously this is
Frog Fractions 2
but is it really a stealth release, or am I out of the loop?

Very exciting times for me, my very favourite iOS game is releases on steam tomorrow. Ravenmark. So unless the port job is absolutely terrible I will likely be gushing about that for the next month and a half.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
2_Missiles.jpg

http://www.loversinadangerousspacetime.com/

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a frantic 1- or 2-player couch co-op action space shooter set in a massive neon battleship. Only through teamwork can you triumph over the evil forces of Anti-Love, rescue kidnapped space-bunnies, and avoid a vacuumy demise. Deep space is a dangerous place, but you don’t have to face it alone!

Master Spy - $9.99 (PC, Mac)
ItmoFtN.gif

http://masterspygame.com/

Master Spy is a stealth-based precision platformer with retro cutscenes full of espionage, intrigue, and betrayal!
In a world of corruption and decay, you're not just good at what you do - you're the best. And with the aid of your prototype cloaking suit and quick wit, you'll sneak your way past a multitude of enemies and obstacles, all while uncovering a plot of conspiracy and intrigue that thrusts you into a role far greater than your contract promised.

Circa Infinity - $9.99 (PC, Mac)
anim5.gif

http://circainfinitygame.com/

Circa Infinity is a brain-melting circular platformer by Kenny Sun, with a pulse-pounding soundtrack by Jack + Jim Fay.

Lovers in a dangerous spacetime is out and I'm at work :^(
Will be sure to post some impressions later on, but hope somebody on Gaf will make an ot for this game.
BTW, ordering through their site (via humble bundle) gives you a drm free copy on top of the steam key, just saying...

BTW, ordering through their site (via humble bundle) gives you a drm free copy on top of the steam key, just saying...

Might have to do that tomorrow when I get the chance to. Also, unless I am mistaken I believe humble give the developer a bigger cut then steam do so you are doing gods work ordering through them.

header.jpg

RymdResa - RymdResa share some similiarities with FTL, mainly the theme, the different ships you can choose and the choices you may find during the gameplay. Unfortunately it doesn't have the same deepness that FTL has so don't go play it expecting a tense game that is always putting you on the nerves or a deep game. You only have resources to manage, they are your life and the ship's fuel if you get hit by asteroids, dragged into a star, hit with a mine you'll die once it reaches 0.

RymdResa is kind of a relaxing game, you have that big space to explore and run quests, while listening to a music that sets the mood and random poetry that your character will recite.

The game start with you needing to find the source of 9 signals spread around the universe after the earth is destroyed, to help it you have a drone that point you to the right direction. In my opinion the game is more about the journey than finishing it's obejectives. As you explore the universe you'll find various objects, planets, asteroids, that you can explore. The outcome isn't too much varied, you'll lose/gain spacepoint or lose/gain resourses.

Stars and planets have a gravitional field so they can alter your route or even push you to them and that's a nice touch.

Anyone here heard of or played Hadean Lands? Finally picked it up, I've read nothing but incredible praise online; it's supposed to be one of the best text adventure games ever made. Kickstarted, and four years in the making

Don't recall if it was featured in the Indie threads
http://hadeanlands.com/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
OBEY sounds really intriguing. It's an online multiplayer game with some conceptual similarities to SpyParty and board gaming. The head game potential seems limitless.

OBEY - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
ss_e88304bcea803cc3aa3c44af909a06bdf4556ae6.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346970

OBEY is a highly asymmetrical multiplayer game. We've all played games where you send commands to AI units or teammates. OBEY instead puts you in the position to command your enemies (human opponents), and to be commanded by them. Players are always free to obey/disobey. It is always up to players to deal with the consequences of their decisions in the game.

Moobabe

Rocket League is so good. I usually can't get into MP games; the only ones I ever put any time into were AC Brotherhood and Nidhogg

Usually I hate how you have to sink hours and hours to see good gear and perks and weapons, and it sucks going up against skilled players with all the best gear while you only have starting or early weapons. Competitive MP never really fun for me

Here, there's nothing to unlock. It's all skill based. Everyone's on the same playing field. And the movement alone is so fun; jumping off the wall or boosting through the air to intercept the ball is so satisfying

I'm going to be sinking a lot of time into Rocket League

Welcome friend. Welcome to the machine.

Moobabe

I am finally getting a new phone! It's android though so I probably won't have the same exposure to games on it - but at least I'll be able to run things!

Never played it, what makes it so good?

Short of me listing very specific battle mechanics, let me just say it does a fantastic job of creating the chaotic and total lawless nature of commanding massive armies all while wrapping it up in simple and accessible gamerules that always let you know why and how you fucked up when half your army is being flanked and slaughtered. Between battles it has this grand scale narrative that I find strikes a good balance between being silly enough so it isn't grimdark 27/7 but also serious enough so it doesn't totally undermine the truths about war.

Looking through the achievements it seems that you get all the dlc campaigns too with the steam edition which is cool because they are mostly from the perspective of the other nations which let you experiment with totally different unit types.

Also, their are giant toads units that just jump around the battlefield and consume troops and if that doesn't sound at least a little bit interesting then we can't be friends anymore.

Dropsy - $9.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
YtoGFWV.gif

http://dropsytheclown.com/

Dropsy is a non-traditional take on the classic point and click adventure formula starring the game's perpetually carefree namesake clown as he explores a richly detailed world full of colorful characters and sinister secrets, doling out hugs along the way. Rather than lead players on a singular narrative path, players are free to determine which avenues of adventure they want to explore in an open world setting and can piece the puzzles and story together however they choose.

Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion - $14.99 (PC, IOS)
Qad6YUt.jpg

http://scourge.ravenmark-saga.com/

Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion is a turn-based wargame, where strategic troop placement is essential to succeed, but this is just one of the many choices you will face while fighting your way through your many battles!

Top Bottom