• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [December] Now Voting - Post 741!

We tried out a few of these games last night (so you don't have to) and recorded some videos.

Skinwalker pulls off the creepy alright, but has some larger issues with gameplay and some strange dialog at times.

Maoship is short and mind blowing. Come for the cat, stay for the graphics and music. Couldn't get Don't Be Afraid to work without crashing on Windows 8, even with compatibility settings.

Paradis Perdus is art for arts sake. The whole message is playing this makes the game less beautiful and destroys the world so...don't play it. I guess that is what the dev wants.

Our favorite of what we played though, and gets my vote, is Don't Move which I feel like is the only game that really did what it set out to do. A great commentary on the recent craze of games that are like "LOOK HOW GOOD YOU ARE DOING / DAT PROGRESS" aka CookieClicker.

Might try some more of these out, not sure.

Gazoinks

Soooo Cave! Cave! Deus Videt was weird. I liked it, and am curious to see where it goes, so I'll keep following it.

elyetis

Anyone who has a One Way Heroics gif at hand? Best would be the overworld + battles or something.
Didn't think about making any during my differents games. :/

Cant wait for your OT, so many question to ask ( advise with different class etc.. ), thought there is many things I still hope to find by myself ( like the secret boss ).

Current playtime 16h

1386104931-heroics.jpg

still didn't finish with the force user class on 'easy' ( and need to finish without opening the vault for the others ), and only really began the second difficulty today ( and finaly got my first holy weapons & found the brotherhood ) easily cleared with the Hero ( but that class is clearly overpowered ) and got to ~1175km in another play ( and could/should have gone further ).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Didn't think about making any during my differents games. :/

Cant wait for your OT, so many question to ask ( advise with different class etc.. ), thought there is many things I still hope to find by myself ( like the secret boss ).

Current playtime 16h

1386104931-heroics.jpg

still didn't finish with the force user class on 'easy' ( and need to finish without opening the vault for the others ), and only really began the second difficulty today ( and finaly got my first holy weapons & found the brotherhood ) easily cleared with the Hero ( but that class is clearly overpowered ) and at ~1175km in another play ( and could/should have gone further ).

Not sure who is supposed to answer those though, since you probably played it the most from all people here that didnt work on it.

Should be able to throw it up in a few hours :) Hopefully we keep it up a bit.

elyetis

Not sure who is supposed to answer those though, since you probably played it the most from all people here that didnt work on it.
In quantity maybe ! but I wouldn't be surprised if people here still found many things before me, or got good advise for some class ( I'm really not confident about what to do with bard, hunter and force user )

Could also be the occasion to share Dimension name we think are good for x reasons, etc

rybrad

In quantity maybe ! but I wouldn't be surprised if people here still found many things before me, or got good advise for some class ( I'm really not confident about what to do with bard, hunter and force user )

Could also be the occasion to share Dimension name we think are good for x reasons, etc
Sharing cool seeds will definitely be a great use of the thread. Does anyone know what the online features entail?

daydream

Banned
I normally don't look for Kickstarters, let alone advertise them, but Tadpole Treble is a music game and thus has my attention. Music and art are done by Brawl in the Family's Matthew Toronto. I like that guy.

It's almost funded so I'm not worried - just wanted to bring this to your attention.

JJSignal

Neo Member
So excited for Starbound, and especially Night in the Woods. Ugh, it looks so cute!
Would it be alright for me to mention a game I'm helping work on that's on Kickstarter right now?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So excited for Starbound, and especially Night in the Woods. Ugh, it looks so cute!
Would it be alright for me to mention a game I'm helping work on that's on Kickstarter right now?

As long as you are not advertising it all the time when posting here, its fair game. We like having people affiliated with games here. :)

Night in the Woods has some of the best music for a game trailer this year. Can't get enough of it, repeat!

i9yZABMna5pL8.gif

Vamphuntr

Anyone tried Two Brothers? It's out on steam now at 25% off but I'm kind of afraid of the buggy parts mentioned in the OP.

It looks so good. A black and white GB game that turns into a full 16bit color game.

Toma

Anyone tried Two Brothers? It's out on steam now at 25% off but I'm kind of afraid of the buggy parts mentioned in the OP.

It looks so good. A black and white GB game that turns into a full 16bit color game.

I recommend reading this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91576288&postcount=807

and this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91613977&postcount=812

You are of course free to not believe me, but as far as I know, I am the only one here who put a decent amount of time into it so far. :)

Or well rather it would probably come down to whether you believe the dev or not.

Vamphuntr

I recommend reading this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91576288&postcount=807

and this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91613977&postcount=812

You are of course free to not believe me, but as far as I know, I am the only one here who put a decent amount of time into it so far. :)

Or well rather it would probably come down to whether you believe the dev or not.

:/ I think I'll check the web around to see if the new version is stable. I really want it right now but I don't think I'm in a mood to restart the game 8-9 times in 2 hours if it freezes or crashes. The open world thing is a bit disappointing but is no deal breaker for me. I'm glad it appears that the game is as charming as it seems to be in trailers and screens. If I can find people saying the game is patched and much more stable I'll get it right now otherwise I'll wait until the game is in a much better state (or in a steam sale!). Don't see the point in hurrying into buying a broken product.

Thanks a lot for the impressions!

Toma

:/ I think I'll check the web around to see if the new version is stable. I really want it right now but I don't think I'm in a mood to restart the game 8-9 times in 2 hours if it freezes or crashes. The open world thing is a bit disappointing but is no deal breaker for me. I'm glad it appears that the game is as charming as it seems to be in trailers and screens. If I can find people saying the game is patched and much more stable I'll get it right now otherwise I'll wait until the game is in a much better state (or in a steam sale!). Don't see the point in hurrying into buying a broken product.

Thanks a lot for the impressions!

Yeah, its really sad to warn others which ends in them/you not buying it because it is really charming, but considering its pretty much the most buggy commercial game I ever played and that includes alphas and Betas.... hm.

Really hope they work out these issues as they promised to. (They DID mention that they already fixed many of the issues I complained about, so I'll try again in a few days I guess).

JJSignal

Neo Member
As long as you are not advertising it all the time when posting here, its fair game. We like having people affiliated with games here. :)

Awesome! Well I'm currently helping make a cyberpunk adventure game called Read Only Memories.

pzq4Ubd.png

It's inspired by adventure games like Snatcher, Rise of the Dragon or Jesus: Koufu no Biomonster, but we're hoping to take out some of the more unappealing aspects of those kinds of games, like Rise's active time system (and weird side scrolling action sequences), or having to go through every command in a menu-- multiple times sometimes-- just to progress in a scene, in the case of Biomonster. It's still really early in development, though, but we're progressing pretty quickly and currently making it for PC, Mac and Ouya.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sharing cool seeds will definitely be a great use of the thread. Does anyone know what the online features entail?

The online features are:

- Online leaderboards for your current dimension
- Twitter functionality following victory or defeat
- General bug fixing and version upgrades (performed at startup)

It's not a ton, but it would be really cool to see a GAF specific leaderboard. :D

While we're on about One Way Heroics (and something for Toma to add to the OT as he finishes), it's now available for vote on Greenlight!

You guys are fast!

Toma

Start the One Way Heroic thread naming ideas, guys. Any ideas appreciated before I put up the thread.

elyetis

The online features are:

- Online leaderboards for your current dimension
- Twitter functionality following victory or defeat
- General bug fixing and version upgrades (performed at startup)
There is also the spirits named after other players who did ( & died ? ) in that dimension.

A way to leave message for other players ( kind of like D.Souls games ) would have been nice. ( but i guess much more server heavy )

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Awesome! Well I'm currently helping make a cyberpunk adventure game called Read Only Memories.

pzq4Ubd.png

It's inspired by adventure games like Snatcher, Rise of the Dragon or Jesus: Koufu no Biomonster, but we're hoping to take out some of the more unappealing aspects of those kinds of games, like Rise's active time system (and weird side scrolling action sequences), or having to go through every command in a menu-- multiple times sometimes-- just to progress in a scene, in the case of Biomonster. It's still really early in development, though, but we're progressing pretty quickly and currently making it for PC, Mac and Ouya.

As a fan of Snatcher, this looks utterly fantastic. I think it's awesome that there's a game being made that focuses on LBGT characters!

Drop me a line when you finish the game (I'm sure your KS will be successful). This seems like it would be a kickass game to have on Playism.

There is also the spirits named after other players who did ( & died ? ) in that dimension.

A way to leave message for other players ( kind of like D.Souls games ) would have been nice. ( but i guess much more server heavy )

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

That's not a bad idea, actually. I'll ask Smoking WOLF about it.

Toma

How about...

One Way Heroics | Heroism on the right path

or any other play on the mechanic of moving right towards the goal/defeating the boss.

JJSignal

Neo Member
As a fan of Snatcher, this looks utterly fantastic. I think it's awesome that there's a game being made that focuses on LBGT characters!

Drop me a line when you finish the game (I'm sure your KS will be successful). This seems like it would be a kickass game to have on Playism.

For sure! It would also be great to get it localized overseas if it takes off, too.
And yeah, it will feature a variety of LGBT and Queer characters in the story, a long with the player being able to choose more than just Male or Female to identify themselves.

pzq4Ubd.png

Oh man, name dropping Rise of the Dragon. I've gotta support this now!

Toma

One Way Heroics thread up:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727834

Took me long enough, sorry for the wait. I hope the thread results in some traffic/purchases. Best of luck to you guys over at Playism.

To the others: Post your impressions over there, buy the game and join us, ask questions/discuss progress and whatever the fuck you want. Lets try to keep the thread alive for a few days at least to keep it visible.

Arthea

Can someone suggest indie games (not necessary new, can be old) that are like Sanitarium in atmosphere, play similarly and have same macabre humour.

Can someone suggest indie games (not necessary new, can be old) that are like Sanitarium in atmosphere, play similarly and have same macabre humour.

I did a quick search a about Sanitarium and it looks like an isometric point and click horror game. I don't remember any indie game that meet what you're looking exactly for, if you're interested in horror you can keep an eye in Fran Brow and the horror game being made by the creator of Retro Grade. Also might be worth ask in the point and click thread here on GAF.

Sorry to not be helpful.

Arthea

I did a quick search a about Sanitarium and it looks like an isometric point and click horror game. I don't remember any indie game that meet what you're looking exactly for, if you're interested in horror you can keep an eye in Fran Brow and the horror game being made by the creator of Retro Grade. Also might be worth ask in the point and click thread here on GAF.

Sorry to not be helpful.
Thanks, I need it as a present, so any horror game won't do this time, Sanitarium is, how I put it, ... different. (><)
I'll try asking p&c gaf.

Toma

Something I found after a bit of research:
178774-veil-of-darkness-dos-screenshot-the-bar-a-busy-place-s.jpg

Veil of Darkness is considered by many an adventure, though it has RPG and some combat. I&#8217;ve played it and it&#8217;s very good. From what I remember, it matters what you say. It&#8217;s really a hybrid so check some reviews before you go with it.

And its not really an adventure game, but Planescape Torment ticks all the other boxes you might want. Heavy story driven experience, great mood, macabre humor, isometric and a great game overall:

And honestly.. Stasis is probably the closest you'll get based on what you described because isometric adventure games are rare enough, but good, horror AND macabre humor? Just gift him a Stasis preorder or something :p

Arthea

Something I found after a bit of research:

And its not really an adventure game, but Planescape Torment ticks all the other boxes you might want. Heavy story driven experience, great mood, macabre humor, isometric and a great game overall:

And honestly.. Stasis is probably the closest you'll get based on what you described because isometric adventure games are rare enough, but good, horror AND macabre humor? Just gift him a Stasis preorder or something :p
I thought, I just don't know where to look and you surely would know something like it. :)
Guess not, I'll look into other options then.
Thanks

Top Bottom