• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [November] Now Voting - Post 720!

Just wait until you create you first time machine;)

To get started just type help, that should help you getting through the most basic functions.

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to point it out:D

Incredible. I'm using the help command, I've been navigating trough the "world" creating and collecting things and even putting notes in some pages.

I'm getting some serious Starseed Pilgrim and MOABD vibes from it. Can't wait for your impressions.
Did post some quick initial impressions on the last page
It's a 2D puzzle platformer. Arrows move you left and right, A sends up a grapple hook that attaches to whatever is above you (you can't jump) and K resets you at the area start. The graphics are simple, but the cool thing that sets it apart is the hacking mechanic. Think of it as the Quadrilateral Cowboy's abstract little cousin. From a terminal in a main hub, you can hack into the world and turn certain variables true or false or warp between areas. For examples bombs true causes you to set bombs down when you use the grapple hook. Ferries set boats down in the water (which kills you if you touch it). Magic lets you glitch through the level and essentially teleport around the level. The game is very freeform; there's no one right way to travel to another area
I'll post some more in-depth thoughts either tomorrow or Sunday

---
Got Path of Shadows to run. Awesome, such an awesome foundation for a great game. And I contacted the Paradise Lost devs, hopefully we'll be able to help these guys out, because this game deserves to be finished and expanded

Collapse is pretty hard I already got stuck in the second world. Needing to back track to a previous room to solve some puzzles is interesting. You need to avoid falling in the red blocs, the character can movement to upwards and then to left or right where it only stops if reach a block or a surface.

A gif to help understand the game:

dMiD9Wq.gif

daydream

Banned

So yeah, Path of Shadows has some stuff going for it.

Remember how stealth games were running out of ideas and settings right at the end of the PS2 era, only to find themselves almost extinct not even one year into the next (current) generation? The few stealth games that came out after SC Double Agent were pretty much conceptually bankrupt, in the sense that game design had moved on without them (funny enough, it was SC that tried something new again a few years later with Conviction). Games like Assassin's Creed or Rocksteady's take on Batman had stealth elements that were of no weight compared to the action (with the exception of AssCreed's multiplayer, arguably).

Recently, the genre underwent a renaissance of sorts, that, in my eyes, developed along two lines: Games like Mark of the Ninja and Dishonored strayed from the traditional way, trying out a new perspective (in MotN's case) and rethinking the idea of movement (in Dishonored's case), among other revisals. Titles like SC Blacklist and Hitman Absolution on the other hand mostly abided by genre conventions, trying to refine these formulas and showing off some of that hardware power that can be utilised at the end of a generation. (End of my off the cuff and probably uninformed observations on stealth games.)

I feel like 'Path of Shadows' combines both. The premise is very Tenchu-like, so is the basic level design - not a bad thing per se. Now, the mechanics are quite refreshing. New abilities like teleporting in the shadows or creating them blend well with old tricks like decoying guards, sensing your surroundings and air kills (which are combined with the teleport!).

Anyway, that and the striking look made me like this game. Needless to say it's a bit rough around the edges. I take it they are not currently working on it which is a shame. They're even honouring the Splinter cell trope of the protagonist glowing like crazy and getting away with it.

Remember how stealth games were running out of ideas and settings right at the end of the PS2 era, only to find themselves almost extinct not even one year into the next (current) generation? The few stealth games that came out after SC Double Agent were pretty much conceptually bankrupt, in the sense that game design had moved on without them (funny enough, it was SC that tried something new again a few years later with Conviction). Games like Assassin's Creed or Rocksteady's take on Batman had stealth elements that were of no weight compared to the action (with the exception of AssCreed's multiplayer, arguably).

Recently, the genre underwent a renaissance of sorts, that, in my eyes, developed along two lines: Games like Mark of the Ninja and Dishonored strayed from the traditional way, trying out a new perspective (in MotN's case) and rethinking the idea of movement (in Dishonored's case), among other revisals. Titles like SC Blacklist and Hitman Absolution on the other hand mostly abided by genre conventions, trying to refine these formulas and showing off some of that hardware power that can be utilised at the end of a generation. (End of my off the cuff and probably uninformed observations on stealth games.)

I feel like 'Path of Shadows' combines both. The premise is very Tenchu-like, so is the basic level design - not a bad thing per se. Now, the mechanics are quite refreshing. New abilities like teleporting in the shadows or creating them blend well with old tricks like decoying guards, sensing your surroundings and air kills (which are combined with the teleport!).

Anyway, that and the striking look made me like this game. Needless to say it's a bit rough around the edges. I take it they are not currently working on it which is a shame. They're even honouring the Splinter cell trope of the protagonist glowing like crazy and getting away with it.
Well I'm talking with the Paradise Lost devs to hopefully figure out how the Path of Shadows devs can start a Kickstarter. It would be nice if it works out and they can get the funding they need. I love the stealth genre and this game is already really good

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh my goodness Toma, I leave for a day and you get kidnapped by a rogue indie game and all this madness hits? Can't turn my back to this thread for even a minute!

oh god i'm in the games list :D kinda crazy to see that I ended up being part inspiration for what happened earlier

Great analysis and yeah, I'm liking the stealth renassaiance as of late. Gunpoint, Monaco, Mark of the Ninja (my 2012 GOTY), Stealth Bastard breathing new life in the genre. And then here comes Path of Shadows' own twist with the ability to create shadows. Such a simple idea with so much potential that I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to finally execute on it.

The developers seem to be checking this thread. Hopefully, they can get a kickstarter eventually, thank you More_Badass for bringing the game to my attention :)

Great analysis and yeah, I'm liking the stealth renassaiance as of late. Gunpoint, Monaco, Mark of the Ninja (my 2012 GOTY), Stealth Bastard breathing new life in the genre. And then here comes Path of Shadows' own twist with the ability to create shadows. Such a simple idea with so much potential that I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to finally execute on it.

The developers seem to be checking this thread. Hopefully, they can get a kickstarter eventually, thank you More_Badass for bringing the game to my attention :)
How do you know the devs are checking here?
And I can't take credit. Hofmann featured it in one of his Screenshot Saturday posts last month. Wouldn't have known about it if not for that

Moobabe

Between Indie games, Kickstarter, Vita DD & my terrible addiction to BF series ... I'm broke as hell right now!

So I really hope nothing is released in the survival; Sci-Fi genre this month!

You mean like.. X: Rebirth?

Hello NeoGAF,

Thanks for putting Actual Sunlight in the November Indie Games thread! Just wanted to let you guys know that you can download a free, complete 3D beta version of the game now if you're interested in checking it out. Unlike the original, it is available in PC / Mac / Linux (as opposed to just PC) and I would love to hear your thoughts on it, or answer any questions about it here in the thread!

Download it at: http://www.actualsunlight.com/downloads/

Thanks!

Awesome to have you here! I thought the screenshot looked odd, had no idea there was a 3D version available!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hello NeoGAF,

Thanks for putting Actual Sunlight in the November Indie Games thread! Just wanted to let you guys know that you can download a free, complete 3D beta version of the game now if you're interested in checking it out. Unlike the original, it is available in PC / Mac / Linux (as opposed to just PC) and I would love to hear your thoughts on it, or answer any questions about it here in the thread!

Download it at: http://www.actualsunlight.com/downloads/

Thanks!
I'll update that later in the OP. And thanks for stopping by :)

Hofmann

Like we have not enough games this month.

One Upon Light - Early 2014 (PC, Mac)
BYB2kKVCQAIJzgH.jpg:large

http://gamelab.sutd.edu.sg/dev/one-upon-light/

Monochromatic top-down puzzle game with a photophobic protagonist. Trapped in a world of shifting shadows and light, players manipulate objects in the environment to create a path of shadows and avoid contact with light. Best game of the IGF China 2013.

Americana Dawn - PC, Mac, Linux
ZZbygxM.png

BYCHPqHCQAAikn9.png:large

http://english.americanadawn.com/

A role playing game which explores over two centuries of early American history and folklore. For the duration, we follow Foster, the spirit of the sea, a gentle and innocent being who arrives in America with no heritage or home.

Into this Wylde Abyss - ???
intothisWyldeAbyss_LighterLightning1_64c.gif

http://blog.richardwhitelock.com/

Short game about struggling to survive on a freezing island and what happens in your final hours.

Spirit Huntress - PC, Mac, Linux and maybe consoles
BYEtGVFCQAELk4o.jpg:large

http://spirithuntress.blogspot.com/

Spirit Huntress is a 2d action/adventure & platform game, with side-scroller view, influenced by some past great titles, like Metroid saga, Streets of Rage II, Shinobi III; as well as more recent games like Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Lumen - Free (PC)
BYCH06LCYAAejRv.png:large

http://www.lumengame.com/

Lumen is a platform-puzzle video game where the player assumes control of a girl trapped in a world of nightmare as she tries to make her escape. With the sole help of her camera, she will have to dodge traps, run away from her enemies and use her photographs to change the world that surrounds her.

Skinwalker - Free (PC, Mac)
27999.jpg

http://owlgame.webs.com/skinwalker

This is the classic camping-trip-gone-wrong movie from the eighties made into a RPG Maker game. Four friends from the same university go out camping together. But while gathering firewood, strange sounds can be heard from the forest.
After that, things get gradually worse.

Americana Dawn, made by Japanese developers...most interesting. The music is fantastic. Once Upon Light, I don't know man we've had quite a few games with light/shadows mechanics but hey it's cool that there are games made in Singapore.

Downloading the Lumen demo now.

lol at Spirit Huntress:
nuevosprite.png

Waifu material right there. I think the problem with such detailed 2D sprite games (the Muramusa influence is obvious) is the stiff animation can be more jarring from watching the gameplay video.

Slick as fuck animations. Do you backers get an early alpha or something? Earliest you can play it?
Only if you paid for it. I didn't go for beta access.

---
On a similar note, the other game I backed - Confederate Express - is kicking ass. Already reached the goals for infinite maps and body implants, on track for destructible environments and more like customizable mechs, multiplayer, more player skills, etc.

It'll be getting a tech demo soon and the devs have plans for a backer-only delivery mission demo later

On a similar note, the other game I backed - Confederate Express - is kicking ass. Already reached the goals for infinite maps and body implants, on track for destructible environments and more like customizable mechs, multiplayer, more player skills, etc.

It'll be getting a tech demo soon and the devs have plans for a backer-only delivery mission demo later

I love that there are gifs everywhere on the page. I know the zombie theme is oversaturated, but has there been other tactical zombie RPGs?

I love that there are gifs everywhere on the page. I know the zombie theme is oversaturated, but has there been other tactical zombie RPGs?
Not just zombies though, there's also two human factions and robots to fight.

But no, I can't think of any other tactical zombie RPGs

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
lol at Spirit Huntress:
nuevosprite.png

Waifu material right there. I think the problem with such detailed 2D sprite games (the Muramusa influence is obvious) is the stiff animation can be more jarring from watching the gameplay video.
Your mention of "waifu material" reminded me of Princess' Edge - Dragonstone, which was available in the last Groupees Doujin bundle lol
...I will say this: Princess Edge at least has better animation, and a setting that isn't a supernatural sci-fi ninja mashup where humanity knows how to manufacture floating AI companions, but has apparently lost the ancient technology of the sports bra.

Away from home and off wifi, but there's a few tasty Running With Rifles updates in the pipe, and it'll hit Steam Early Access after that! Keys provided for Desura owners, as per usual.

Can't copy the FB update on my phone, but here's the LINK.

And two related screenshots of the inbound overhaul. Whispers of deployable MGs, barricades, gunboats etc.

iiYwTct.jpg

0xJ5T1m.jpg

Apologies if the formatting/size/quality is awry.

Away from home and off wifi, but there's a few tasty Running With Rifles updates in the pipe, and it'll hit Steam Early Access after that! Keys provided for Desura owners, as per usual.

And two related screenshots of the inbound overhaul. Whispers of deployable MGs, barricades, gunboats etc.
Nice, As much as I like DRM-free games, I learned to love cloud saving through Steam after my computer had to reset

Can't wait for this to come to Early Access

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

iiYwTct.jpg

0xJ5T1m.jpg

Apologies if the formatting/size/quality is awry.
How much will it cost on Early Access? Would you save money if you bought it now?

Nice, As much as I like DRM-free games, I learned to love cloud saving through Steam after my computer had to reset

Can't wait for this to come to Early Access

Indeed! Great article on IGE, too.

How much will it cost on Early Access? Would you save money if you bought it now?

I'd say a cool ten on Steam. Looking forward to seeing the player population explode in Early Access.

Probably my favourite indie game ever, whatever that means.

Indeed! Great article on IGE, too.

I'd say a cool ten on Steam. Looking forward to seeing the player population explode in Early Access.

Probably my favourite indie game ever, whatever that means.
Thank ;) But it's true. For all of COD's and BF's set pieces (which I enjoy btw) and insane graphics, RWR blew them away in terms of capturing battlefield chaos. And neither of those franchises can boast such a huge world, or emergent AI or tactical gameplay

And that's why indies are awesome

Lift
It's like Scraps, but planes. So physics based, with aerodynamics, and they break apart beautifully. Still really early, but so much potential
---
Some nice foliage getting added to Heavy Bullets
---
Trash TV is still alive!
Trash TV has been Greenlit!

For anyone wondering about the details, I got onto Greenlight system a day or two after it started. I managed to dodge the $100 fee and the organic traffic on Greenlight at the beginning saw me get a few thousand votes on the first few days. By day 70 traffic died off and I was on 5k yes votes. Every day I get around 0 - 10 votes which meant by day 365 of Greenlight I was on 7k.

I was lucky enough to be featured in Jesse Cox's Greenlight show which got around 100k views. Of that only around 1% came and voted on the greenlight page. Of those votes, 65% were furious that I dared to make a 2D game and voted it down, but I still had a little jump of about 500 yes votes. Eventually I climbed to 8k votes by day 442 and that's when I was greenlit. I don't think I ever tipped into the top 100 items, I think I sat around position 300 although this is a pretty big guess.

442 days on Greenlight and I still never really formed an opinion about it. All I can really think is, fuck, have I really been working on this game for so long? Single player is nearly finished, I'll be pushing out a larger demo real soon.
---
New gameplay for The Intergalatic Trashman

Thank ;) But it's true. For all of COD's and BF's set pieces (which I enjoy btw) and insane graphics, RWR blew them away in terms of capturing battlefield chaos. And neither of those franchises can boast such a huge world, or emergent AI or tactical gameplay

And that's why indies are awesome

The only parallels for me are Planetside 2 or Heroes & Generals. But the subtle chaos of RWR...just awesome.

Your mention of "waifu material" reminded me of Princess' Edge - Dragonstone, which was available in the last Groupees Doujin bundle lol
...I will say this: Princess Edge at least has better animation, and a setting that isn't a supernatural sci-fi ninja mashup where humanity knows how to manufacture floating AI companions, but has apparently lost the ancient technology of the sports bra.

lmao. At least I finished my coffee before reading that sentence or I could have spilled it all over my smartphone.

I didn't notice if it was posted already but here is the thread for the Apexicon's Kickstarter campaign.

Hofmann

Today's edition delivered by Twitter, IndieDB, TIGS and Facebook.

A Touch of Moonlight - ???
L9RlC54.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/atouchofmoonlight?filter=1

A thrilling adventure game set in a world based on old Sami and Scandinavian folklore. A boy disappears in the deep northern woods and his sister embarks on a journey to find him.

Eidolon - Jan 2014 (PC)
9dqeOoo.jpg

http://gamedesignsketchbook.tumblr.com/eidolon

Exploration/survival game set in the distantly post-apocalyptic Western Washington.

Sym - Free Demo/50% off at $1.49 (PC, Mac)
DmKC0fV.jpg

http://www.atraxgames.com/sym/#buy

A journey inside your social fears in the form of a puzzle platform. A logic circuit simulator. A symmetric experience on black and white, in which solid and hollow lose their meanings.

The Old City - PC
I9XjwXK.png

http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-old-city

The story is about choice. Set in a decaying city from a civilization long past, The Old City puts the player in the shoes of a sewer dwelling isolationist. You progress through the game by simply exploring the environment, and, while the initial stretch of the game is a linear string of semi-open levels, the later game divides into various pathways that all communicate something entirely different about the world and the story.

Lords of Xulima - Feb 2014 (PC, Mac, Linux)
BYFKJnrCYAAdCF5.jpg:large

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1446315704/lords-of-xulima-an-epic-story-of-gods-and-humans

A 2D isometric, turn-based Role-Playing Game with the depth and challenge of old-school classics and a modern, intuitive interface.

Flagship - PC
BYFOfb4CYAAyJaA.jpg:large

http://flagshipgame.com/

Real-time strategy game set on a galactic scale, played from a first person perspective. Explore the stars, build your fleet and expand your territory. The game is being built from the ground-up to be played with the Oculus Rift, though it can be played without one.

Aaru's Awakening - Free Demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
Oemu5c0.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171147403

Aaru's Awakening is a hand drawn 2D action platformer. The game requires players to make the most of Aaru's two mobile abilities - teleportation and charging - as he travels through the world of Lumenox to defeat an evil entity. These two abilities are at the heart of every level design throughout the game, to make a challenging and fluid experience.

Konjak is really killing me with The Iconoclasts updates never happening. The only other game that I'm anticipating more than this is....

Can't wait for the day that this shows up in my Steam Library.
Awesome GIF from the HLD thread
ibbqzcTC5Jh9fw.gif

Yeah, he just sliced a missile in half

Kamaki

Played Castle in the Sky last night and for $1.50 I can safely recommend it. Neat little experience, not sure if there was a point to collecting all the orbs though. It might have changed the ending or something? Anyone know?

A cool Indiegogo game in need of support

Gravit - N/A, in development (PC)
637x358.resizedimage

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gravit
An original 2D platform adventure game. Face gravity changes! Solve physical puzzles with lifelike fluid mechanics.
Greenlight
Trailer

Gravit is an original 2D platform game, mixing reflection and puzzle. It brings the player to confront the end of the world, while adapting him/herself to the gradual changes of Earth's gravity, all this in a dynamic platform game.

We have added a lot of additional items that will all have a role in fighting the gravitational cataclysm: dynamic fluids, grappling hook, sword of power, temporal vortex, antigravity boots, ...

The scenario has a real significance in our game to articulate all the elements around a main story. As you probably understood, Gravit’s base is to play with gravity. This last is changing all along the game going through different steps. But not only does gravity affect the player. The environment and objects are also subject to its action.

Never forget, gravity can change at anytime!

If any of you are playing Volt, it recently got an update that added 20 new levels. And I hate when someone adds an outlier review. If it wasn't for that 2, the average rating on Desura would be an 8.8

Same thing with Gravity Bomb. An 8, 10, 9, 10, 10...1. (I recommend Gravity Bomb btw, if you're looking for something fun, challenging, and cheap)

Top Bottom