• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

MJPIA

Some videos we've already posted but heres the link to the Chineses tester's profile so you can see them all.
http://i.youku.com/i/UMzI0NzMzOTMzMg==/videos
To recap currently there's a 7:30 video of Spartan assault, 10:40 video of PS2 Arc the Lad emulation, a video that shows it taking 30 seconds to boot up photoshop (CS6?), another photoshop video 20 seconds long of scaling with a picture, 7 minute God of war psp emulation, 3 minute Crisis core PSP emulation and 3:22 second video of Diablo 3 all running on the Z8500 instead of the Z8700/8750.

Kendy make a comment on a comment of the project,
Thanks for support.Considering the release time and cost.It may hard to update the RAM now.Anyway,we will consider it.And Please don't worry,we must will solve heat problem and avoid any delay.maybe we will consider to add a small fan.Once get the certain news,I will let your know.Yes,the new prototype is on the production now.

Seeing that the chip is being upgraded to a Z87 and that this could run PS2 and PSP emulation fairly well has me really interested in getting one of these. Will obviously wait for reviews upon release, but I'll most likely end up getting it unless it's really terrible (and from the looks of it on video that looks less and less likely). I'm actually shocked the release date is so soon for it too.

The dream of playing Trails in the Sky 3C on handheld isn't dead!

StereoVsn

Seeing that the chip is being upgraded to a Z87 and that this could run PS2 and PSP emulation fairly well has me really interested in getting one of these. Will obviously wait for reviews upon release, but I'll most likely end up getting it unless it's really terrible (and from the looks of it on video that looks less and less likely). I'm actually shocked the release date is so soon for it too.

The dream of playing Trails in the Sky 3C on handheld isn't dead!
Yeah, the CPU shift most likely will get me to buy as well. So many great classic games will work well in this format. I do hope they can get 8gb of RAM in there but even without it would be a great little decide if things work out.

They did a surface temperature test while playing a video over wifi. Doesn't seem too insightful though. Really need to know the CPU temp. As well as the temp when performing at its limits.
EDIT: Actually, I'm not familiar with infrared thermometers. Is it possible it can test the internal temperatures of the GPD Win?

39C?

Jesus Christ.

Durante

I'm actually interested in seeing how this turns out.

It could be useful for a combination of Steam streaming of any game around the house, and playing stuff like older games, recent indie games, and VNs natively.

Gr8one

I'm actually interested in seeing how this turns out.

It could be useful for a combination of Steam streaming of any game around the house, and playing stuff like older games, recent indie games, and VNs natively.

That's my exact plan. So far it is looking very promising! I know they have sent out some prototypes to testers very recently, so hoping to get more in depth testing results soon!

So wait they updated the processor? Amazing!
Any chances the GPD XD2 will use the Z8700-Z8750 too?

Being an android device they'll likely stick with an ARM soc, they used Rockchip with the XD, not sure what processor they will use with the XD2, I know JXD used the Nvidia Tegra K1 in their S192. Which is much faster and allows nvidia game streaming and the ability to play games that only run on Nvidia architecture on the Google Play store. It would be pretty cool if GPD could get their hands on those chips for the XD2 imo.

DESTROYA

Unfortunately JXD is not going with K1 after the first batch, not sure if they had supply problems or angered nvidia for saying they had shield programing when nvidia doesn't officially support the product.
But who cares anyway the GPD WIN is a much more compelling device.

Gr8one

Unfortunately JXD is not going with K1 after the first batch, not sure if they had supply problems or angered nvidia for saying they had shield programing when nvidia doesn't officially support the product.
But who cares anyway the GPD WIN is a much more compelling device.

Haha this must be recent news, last I checked they had got nvidia game streaming working with a modified build.prop. That handheld has had so much drama attached to it. I shouldn't laugh but I am sure JXD also was giving out pirated copies of some Nvidia Android exclusives through download links with preorders. I don't blame Nvidia for pulling the plug on them. I guess those Nvidia S192 are going to be collectible soon if they don't fall apart or explode before then ;)

This is probably a stupid question but I have no idea if the answer is yes or no

would this device be able to run a game with these spec requirments?

Minmum
Memory 128MB or higher
Graphics Card GeForce2 MX 400 or higher Radeon 7000
DirectX Version 9.0

Rec
256MB or higher
GeForce3 Ti 200 or higher
DirectX 9 (or newer)
Operating System Windows XP (with SP2) Windows-based OS (XP or newer)

For an MMO game released 2004 that I still enjoy and would love to have on a portable

Since its runs windows 10 it would act like any laptop with windows 10 right?

DESTROYA

This is probably a stupid question but I have no idea if the answer is yes or no

would this device be able to run a game with these spec requirments?

Minmum
Memory 128MB or higher
Graphics Card GeForce2 MX 400 or higher Radeon 7000
DirectX Version 9.0

Rec
256MB or higher
GeForce3 Ti 200 or higher
DirectX 9 (or newer)
Operating System Windows XP (with SP2) Windows-based OS (XP or newer)

For an MMO game released 2004 that I still enjoy and would love to have on a portable

Since its runs windows 10 it would act like any laptop with windows 10 right?

What game are you talking about, just looking at the min requirements it's really impossible to tell.
Reason I ask is there are a number of vids with the same chipset so maybe they have one of with your game.

What game are you talking about, just looking at the min requirements it's really impossible to tell.
Reason I ask is there are a number of vids with the same chipset so maybe they have one of with your game.

Rose online , korean grind party but as anyone, your first mmo experience is hard to let go of

Durante

Really, if those minimum requirements are even remotely realistic there's no way it wouldn't run that. A Geforce 2 MX400 has a memory BW of 2.7 GB/s and a GPU clock of 200 MHz, with a lot less parallelism than the Intel GPU in this Atom.

It's a handheld by the same guys that runs Android instead. It's really nice handheld, emulates a lot of systems well.

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear. The XD is GPD XD. It's a sweet little android handheld that emulates many system, all the way up to DC and PSP. Also a damn good android game player.

MUnited83

For you.
New vid Final Fantasy X PS2:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTY0MTE2NDkzMg==.html?from=y1.7-2

Hard to see but at the top of the screen you can see framerate. Looks like frame rate is all over the place, from 60 down to mid 30s, it seems to average around the 45 to 50 fps. Looks quite playable still.

This machine is blowing my mind. Some of the stuff runs quite a bit better than what I expected. And this is before the upgrade. And emulating damn PS2. The HD version of X should run like a dream in the final thing.

This machine is blowing my mind. Some of the stuff runs quite a bit better than what I expected. And this is before the upgrade. And emulating damn PS2. The HD version of X should run like a dream in the final thing.

Yeah for me too.
Definitely getting it when I get back home.
Smaller PS2/GC titles should run pretty well.

Gr8one

Yeah for me too.
Definitely getting it when I get back home.
Smaller PS2/GC titles should run pretty well.

It is looking quite promising. I'm moving next month and my commute is going to be a lot longer so i'm really excited for the Win and the Pyra to keep me occupied.

Here's a playlist that was shared on the Dingoonity GPD Win thread. It's a ton of PC games being tested at 720p on the Surface 3, that runs the z8700 SOC. Although it's not the same device it should give a rough estimate of how a handful of popular games would run on the Win.

Some games aren't going to happen, like Crysis 3 or Shadow of Mordor but some like Sonic Racing Transformed, Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite and Grid 2 are in the mid 20's or even above 30fps in sections on these benchmarks @ 720p. The best part is that you can run the games at a lower resolution to gain more frames. So for some games that are close to 30 fps it can make a huge difference if you are sensitive to lower frame rates. Also I believe that with the 5.5inch screen on the Win lower resolution will be less noticeable (i could be wrong). For the newer games if you are at home you can use streaming. Playable emulation of PS2, PSP, and Gamecube games is just icing on an already delicious looking cake!

Gr8one

That's no list of games playable just one.

Where did I say it was a list of playable games? I said it's a rough estimate of performance of the z8700 chip. The fact that some late ps3/360 gen games run even close to 30fps @ 720p with minimal settings on the z8700 is impressive in itself.

What I was saying is that if you lower the resolution lower than 720p you will get higher frame rate and some of those games may be quite playable on the Win. That is if you don't mind a lower resolution than the screen and 30fps is acceptable. Compromises that are acceptable to me to get a few "newer" games playable on a handheld.

This all could be moot if GPD can't find a good solution to dissipate heat on the device, as thermal throttling will make anything taxing on the processor run like shit.

MJPIA

Finally asked something I kept on forgetting.
All their third party sellers.
http://www.gpd.hk/sale.asp
The links on the page lead to sales pages for the Win.
Kendy confirmed third party preorders will be shipped to the seller who then ships to you.
They did reopen the indiegogo and there are 134 available.
IGG backers will probably get their device quicker than those who preorder from third party sites although preordering from a store in your country/region has its benefits especially if you need to send the device in for repair.

Theres one thing of note.
This store in Spain.
http://www.micomputer.es/en/home/227-gpd-win.html
The have the device for preorder at 299.99 €, basically $330.
Special presale price, price from October, 349,99€
Roughly $390 when it comes out.
It just one reseller in Spain but its a point of reference to what the price could be when it becomes available to the general public and it says it has either the Z8700 or Z8750 so its not out of date info.

MJPIA

Due to we upgrade the processor and after we reassess the power dissipation of Z8700,We decided to use a metal back shell in order to the better heat dissipation. Please check the Pic blow(when mass production,we will painting to make the whole device is black):
Images in the update, on phone currently.
I'm glad gpd are actually working on improving heat dissipation instead of just slapping in the z8700 and calling it a day.
Changing to the z8700 and a metal shell for no additional cost must've eaten into their profit margins a fair bit.

Here are those images:
ucsqejpkdldbfvf8zk07.jpg
jtyhbsq3akggiauxacvo.jpg
eimsqrmzvd1wl2mfma2b.jpg
vcjicwhhfhgnb8qhtjvo.jpg
yqyxha8ue5rmbxnhmdff.jpg

In addition to the existing internal passive heat dissipation treatment,We are designing a new accessories--a small USB external fan.And the internal structure design also reserved air duct.Please check the pic blow:

htu4gezqubvgeatkvimn.jpg
glwe5cdrduapnnmqfaya.jpg
kkaweewzguxwamdlbves.jpg

MJPIA

Thanks
They sure did an info dump tonight.
The heat sink with the grooves is great and you can tell this wasn't slapped together.

I don't have the slightest regret so far backing this.
That external fan will probably be separate and cost money but that sounds like its worth it.

Phawx

USB powered external fan? I'm going to say that I'll never use that even if it's the only way the throttling doesn't happen.

Really interested in how they are mating the bottom metal (aluminum?) part of the shell to the heatsink on top. Is it just TIM?

Hopefully they figure out a way to drive this thing passively with the 8700(8750) with the design they already have.

It might make more sense to switch to a copper heatsink over the SoC and then connect to an aluminum shell via TIM.

Gr8one

Awesome updates from GPD today, an external USB fan is kinda lame but if it's not too obtrusive and helps avoid throttling i'd use it, maybe not in public though. In other GPD Win news our tester friend in China has uploaded another video.

Call of Duty 4

DESTROYA

From what I can tell the CPU faces upwards around the keyboard area so not sure how the new metal underbody will help much with dissipation.
Saying that I'm glad to see they are trying different things but has me a bit worried that they are running into throttling issues with the new SOC, I hope I'm wrong but from my experience nobody changes things this drastically unless there are running into problems.
And talk of a external fan peripheral not so good. I really hope it turns out well.

Gr8one

Another video from the z8500 prototype:

Final Fantasy IV (PC)

From what I can tell the CPU faces upwards around the keyboard area so not sure how the new metal underbody will help much with dissipation.
Saying that I'm glad to see they are trying different things but has me a bit worried that they are running into throttling issues with the new SOC, I hope I'm wrong but from my experience nobody changes things this drastically unless there are running into problems.
And talk of a external fan peripheral not so good. I really hope it turns out well.

The announcement of the SoC upgrade was a little over a week ago I hope this is from recent tests and not an issue from the z8500 prototypes. If so then i'd say they are just trying to find a solution for the hotter z87xx but there is limited time for a solution when they want to get the Win to customers by October. The external fan isn't that appealing and I hope they find a better solution. I'll join you in hope and prayer that they get the cooling sorted.

Rich!

I am so fucking sold

this will be perfect for most of my steam collection, and retroarch will be a perfect fit too. and dolphin!!

Alchemy

I want one of these things to play Fallout 1/2 on so it should be super awesome for that. Really really into this so far. Hurry up and laaaaunch

Phawx

I want one of these things to play Fallout 1/2 on so it should be super awesome for that. Really really into this so far. Hurry up and laaaaunch

Considering I was one of the original Pandora preorder people, I had to wait years for that to come in.

The speed that GPD is going is very impressive considering the engineering and plastic mold injection.

Also, it seems like they made a metal bottom case ridiculously fast. As far as concept of product to kickstarter to actual working prototypes, GPD is probably the fastest out of all these types of devices.

Top Bottom