• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

MJPIA

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4669130393
eMMC and usb 3.0 flash drive speed tests.
Ai04Nmh.jpg

brainpann

Considering I was one of the original Pandora preorder people, I had to wait years for that to come in.

I was in that boat but ultimately could not wait and cancelled my preorder. This reminds me a lot of the Pandora which is probably why Im getting one.

Amagon

As someone new to this thread,whats the good word with this project? And if everything is going well, (from what I imagine), where do I preorder?

Gr8one

Another vid from China on the z8500 prototype:

Assassin's Creed - Liberation HD

Not really expecting open world games like this to perform well as they are both cpu and gpu intensive on the little Atom Soc. Not playable but impressive that it runs as well as it does I suppose.

As someone new to this thread,whats the good word with this project? And if everything is going well, (from what I imagine), where do I preorder?

I'd say it's really promising. The only issue right now is the prototype is running the slower z8500 SoC, and they have upgraded to either the z8700 or z8750. These Intel Atom's run pretty hot and to protect the chip from damage there is thermal throttling so they need to implement a really effective passive or active cooling solution for such a small device. Everything is going quite well so it really is just waiting until the newer z87xx prototypes get in the hands of testers and we get some real world results on the temps and see some FPS and benchmark data. Should be soon, I know Evil Dragon (Pyra Developer, an open source ARM handheld running linux) is going to have the newer GPD Win prototype with him at Gamescon in Cologne next month. I'm glad the Chinese tester is releasing videos but would love to see more data and his settings.

You can pick them up on Indie Gogo for $330 USD, or if you are in the EU the Evil Dragon fellow I mentioned will be selling them shortly at his Dragonbox shop for €330. There;s other resellers as well maybe another poster can mention. Those are the only 2 I know about. They will increase in price to i believe $380 once they are released.

CO_Andy

There;s other resellers as well maybe another poster can mention. Those are the only 2 I know about. They will increase in price to i believe $380 once they are released.
Cheapest right now is preordering at DinoDirect for $300 (after 10% off coupon for new members).

Maximo

Will wait to see the test videos and see how everything runs before I make my choice, already super happy with the GPD XD for my retro needs, in any case been exciting to see this project evolve.

Maximo

Excuse the double post, Update was posted.

GPD WIN Battery has been upgraded to 6900mAh - 15% Increase (From 6000mAh previously)

"In addition to updating the processor, the official also revealed that GPD WIN will be changed to active cooling, wear-resistant, oil-bearing fan a longer life than ball fan. As a single ball or two balls, the official stressed that: Although the double ball better, but the noise, we would consider striking a balance between reducing heat and noise reduction. It is understood that a single ball bearing fan The average life 40,000 hours, double ball bearing fan life in 60,000 to 100,000 hours. For small or fan noise can be tolerated, besides so small fan should be almost no noise, the official release on double ball bearing fan. Of course, not, with small series have been DIY removable disk cartridge strength, another double ball bearing fan is really not so difficult"

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4682181949

Its been translated so we will have to wait for confirmation about the fan but pretty good news should help keep the system cool. Waiting for a review or two then I might end up ditching my GPD XD for this.

MJPIA

Forgot to post this several days ago.
Figured eventually GPD would compare it to the surface 3 like everyone else across a bunch of forums.
Curious what its final weight will be with metal back or if that's what it'll be now.

Also looks like its official.
We got active internal cooling.
http://z.jd.com/project/details/58322.html
今天

大家好,为了更好的发挥atomx7-8700/8750处理器的性能,我们决定将原有的被动散热方案改为主动散热方案,将在机身内添加一个滚珠风扇,另外由于电池加厚,机身厚度增加1.5mm,这样GPDWIN的整体厚度将是23.5mm。谢谢支持。
Today

Hello, in order to better play the atomx7-8700/8750 processor performance, we decided to change the original passive thermal solution to active heat sink solution, will add a ball fan inside the Cabinet, due to thickened battery, body thickness 1.5mm, GPDWIN the overall thickness is 23.5mm. Thank you for your support.
Too lazy to track down the original post on baidu so quoting vco's post on dingoonity.
New image of metal back.
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-win-on-indiegogo/msg147730/#msg147730
Note the vent holes.

Glad they have the flexibility to make these changes, an internal fan is the best idea. Any sort of thermal throttling in a gaming focused device would have hurt the experience, and I don't think anyone wanted a portable device with a usb fan hanging off it.

Durante

Neat, I like this change. I don't think getting a bit thicker is a bad thing for a device focused on handheld gaming. Function over form and all that.

Glad they have the flexibility to make these changes
Yeah, they really seem in interested in building the best device possible rather than just getting something out.

gundalf

I hope the clock speed and voltage can be reduced by the user as I only need a tiny fraction of the CPU power for most emulators.

Maximo

Glad they have the flexibility to make these changes, an internal fan is the best idea. Any sort of thermal throttling in a gaming focused device would have hurt the experience, and I don't think anyone wanted a portable device with a usb fan hanging off it.

Yep really happy with this company so far (Bought their GPD XD) most companies would do the original promised design and be done with it but their clearly taking the time and listening to everyone to improve the device.

Yeah the xd is a great device, the only thing I didn't like personally was it wasn't that comfortable to hold but I had that problem with the 3ds as well. The thicker body on this with the rounded base should be a lot better to hold whilst still being reasonably portable.

Durante

I hope the clock speed and voltage can be reduced by the user as I only need a tiny fraction of the CPU power for most emulators.
It's an Intel CPU running Windows, it should be easy to set the CPU limit to anything you want using normal power management options.

MJPIA

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-win-on-indiegogo/msg147742/#msg147742

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-win-on-indiegogo/msg147760/#msg147760
Assuming I'm reading correctly and google translate isn't messing with me the fan might have a on off toggle switch on the back.
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-win-on-indiegogo/msg147761/#msg147761

They may or may not be changing back to plastic back with the fan now to save money and weight.

Once again relying on google translate so not sure.

Neat, I like this change. I don't think getting a bit thicker is a bad thing for a device focused on handheld gaming. Function over form and all that.

Yeah, they really seem in interested in building the best device possible rather than just getting something out.

Me too. I dont get why people want thin devices for handheld. There's a balance between thickness and grip.

Yep really happy with this company so far (Bought their GPD XD) most companies would do the original promised design and be done with it but their clearly taking the time and listening to everyone to improve the device.

Same here, that's crazy. You never see this kind of effort from a Chinese manufacturer.

I had always planned to skip their first iteration because I figured it would be a bare bones rush job to satisfy backer delivery obligations. But if they keep this up and hit PS2 emulation out of the park, then I might have to jump on board.

MUnited83

For you.
I think them improving it a lot has quite a bit to do with AMD retiring their x86 processors. With no more new models entering the market, no real decent alternatives from other brands, and no more production of old models, they might as well go all out while there's still a decent supply of 8700/8750s around. Its very likely they would be able to produce a new iteration in a year due to black of stock. Might as well do their "definitive" version now and produce as many as they can to be able to sell it for several years without getting too outdated. I wont be surprised id they upgrad from 4GB ram to 8.

MJPIA

Dang, Wade on Dingoonity removed all the cad images in his posts of the cooling system and I just linked to them and I don't think anyone downloaded them or rehosted them elsewhere.

Counting double packs sold as well instead of just amount of backers I think GPD is at 1191 JD, 1025 Makuake and 2012 IGG for a total of 4128'ish devices preordered through crowdfunding sites.
628K IGG, 378K Makuake and 320K for a total of 1.32 million USD minus whatever fees from all the crowdfunding sites.

Google translate as usual from the baidu forum.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4687612611
Re zjx0209: add memory is not difficult, is currently the main focus was placed on the 4G / 64G this configuration, domestic and foreign crowdfunding is this configuration.
I mean they've already done some big changes but they don't seem to have any interest in changing storage or ram at this point for the crowdfunded devices which is fine to me.
They've already gone above and beyond my original expectations.

I'm hoping they let us know about performance increases given by the Z8750 and temperature data with the new fan cooling method soon. I was thinking of waiting until after it got sent out to backers and they gave feedback to consider getting it, but this seems like it could be perfect for indie PC games and maybe even GC/Wii emulation. Full speed PS2 emulation seems unlikely unfortunately, mostly because PCSX2 is less advanced and mature of an emulator than arguably the gold standard that is Dolphin emulator, which has been getting higher performance improvements as of late, on top of their hardware accuracy.

Portable Metroid Prime and Paper Mario TTYD may soon be a reality!

Edit:

Oh yeah, and Sonic Mania + so many other games that deserved to be on the Vita like Freedom Planet.

Excuse the double post, Update was posted.

GPD WIN Battery has been upgraded to 6900mAh - 15% Increase (From 6000mAh previously)

"In addition to updating the processor, the official also revealed that GPD WIN will be changed to active cooling, wear-resistant, oil-bearing fan a longer life than ball fan. As a single ball or two balls, the official stressed that: Although the double ball better, but the noise, we would consider striking a balance between reducing heat and noise reduction. It is understood that a single ball bearing fan The average life 40,000 hours, double ball bearing fan life in 60,000 to 100,000 hours. For small or fan noise can be tolerated, besides so small fan should be almost no noise, the official release on double ball bearing fan. Of course, not, with small series have been DIY removable disk cartridge strength, another double ball bearing fan is really not so difficult"

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4682181949

Its been translated so we will have to wait for confirmation about the fan but pretty good news should help keep the system cool. Waiting for a review or two then I might end up ditching my GPD XD for this.

I wonder how long a battery like this can last? My GPD XD is amazing, but it's also much weaker.

Maximo

Pretty sure the fan will have a manual on off switch on the back of the case so if you don't like it you can manually turn it off.

Yep believe they said it can be turned on and off manually so you can avoid the fan when your doing simple emulation.

MJPIA

errrrrr
http://z.jd.com/project/details/58322.html
今天

大家好,由于GPDWIN的电池容量增大,所以机身厚度增加了1.5mm,为了更好协调机身内部设计构造,将原有的双喇叭去掉一个,但喇叭孔会保留,一方面为了美观,另一方面也会起到散热作用。
Today

Hi, due to GPDWIN battery capacity increases thickness increases the 1.5mm of the fuselage, in order to better coordinate internal design structure of the fuselage, the original double Horn removed a, speaker holes are retained, for aesthetic reasons on the one hand, on the other hand will also play a role in heat dissipation.
Not exactly fond of this if the translation is right.

MJPIA

It has to be talking about the speakers, especially since they mention the holes.
I put the original Chinese text up there in case anyone who can read it shows up in this thread to verify the machine translation.
You can see where the speakers are and where the fan (red box) in the cad image is.
I am not fond of mono sound especially if the speaker is offset but I want active cooling more than I want two speakers and I don't think we really have a choice in this regard if we want a fan.

I can see a bunch of ex-pgs supporters have backed the Win over the past couple days.

DESTROYA

Losing a speaker does suck but why not move them next to each side of the screen?
But if losing a fan means we get a fan I'll take that every time.

MJPIA

Was thinking about it and I assume GPD considered it but I doubt there is space in the top half for speakers plus holes in Gorilla glass adds one more small expense GPD has to eat.
Mono sound is something that no one likes so I doubt they'd have downgraded to it if they had any other choice although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Ugh, mono sound? I wish they would find another way, sacrificing dual speakers is almost a deal-breaker for me. Sometimes I just want to relax without being super dedicated to what I'm playing or doing, which means having to always use headphones for decent sound sucks.

It's not ideal, but I'd rather have that than throttling.

Could two speakers really be the tipping point? If it isn't about power and instead a matter of saving space internally for the mini-fan, maybe they could have an external pair that clip onto the bezel of the screen?

I just wish they wouldn't have to compromise.

Top Bottom