• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Information blowout on Marvel's 'Venomverse' event

Bane

Or is it?
Dun dun daaaaaah

oG1vJ_s-200x150.gif

The Flash Venom status quo was a rare thing in superhero comics: actual character progression.

Eddie was a repentant civilian, working at a homeless shelter. The symbiote had been long ago confiscated by Shield. That's a pretty good, logical conclusion for the classic Venom.

Flash Thompson, the bully jock from the old days, joined the Army after high school, grew up a lot, and became far more nuanced a character, especially after he got both of his legs blown off in Iraq. That too is a pretty good progression for a classic, one dimensional character.

Then Flash as a war hero vet was asked by the government to take the symbiote for a spin. He got his legs back (while wearing the symbiote), went on missions, got to be one of the NY Supers that he always idolized.

Then he wound up in space on a mission, met Quill and the gang, and decided to quit his job, keep the symbiote, and stay in space. Chill on Knowhere for a while, meet exotic civilizations and learn more about the symbiote's species. Have space adventures with some Cosmic Marvel deep cuts.

All of it was a long, interesting story, and one that organically progressed. It was the opposite of what usually happens with most Marvel & DC characters, which is that they have to be corporate logos who never progress or change for decades, or when they do, have to be reset to what most people remember.

Eddie putting the suit back on and becoming Venom again after all this is dumb. It's that reset button that always has to be pressed sooner or later.

Adult Cyclops and Adult Jean Grey will come back to life someday, and they'll live in the mansion with Xavier. Peter Parker will be broke again. Logan will come back to life and Laura will disappear. Every time, the lazy creator who does it will do interview and say "we're getting him/her back to his/her roots where he/she SHOULD BE!!". And we'll get a bunch of dumb, repetitious derivative stories, just like we're about to get with Eddie and the Symbiote.

MAYHEM IS BACK!!!!!

1161404-sgredblue.jpg

Hopefully Mayhem and Earth X Mayday get time to interact

Anti-Venom is dead.

AntiVenom is alive! He is alive in the people he helped!
quite literally, I believe.

That's the one.

latest
latest
If they're going thorough, I'd also like to see the Web of Shadows symbiotes.

I would also like to see the blue MvC Venom.

latest

I'd love to see a Black Cat I can like again, and a MVC Venom page would be cool, like MVC Spider-man had in Spider-Verse.

Sou Da

DC has actually slowed the hell down with the crossovers. They have only done crossovers where they actually made sense:

Justice League vs Suicide Squad - this was just a crossover between the two books, then they went their separate ways again
The Button (Batman & Flash) - Batman and Flash were the two to discover who messed with the DC Universe, so it makes sense that they would both cross over.

DC has been on a roll with Rebirth, so while they used to do that shit before Rebirth, credit where credit is due please.

Marvel's current problems, the writer/artist exodus, and their event addiction is on an entire tier of its own.

There's one going on right now called Lazarus Contract and just before that there was Night of the Monster Men.

You don't seem to understand what a crossover event is.

I fucking haaaaaaaate Eddie Brock as Venom again. Dude was making actual progress in the comics. Fuck it, give him Anti Venom again or keep him as a supporting role in ASM, but don't ruin the best character change you've done in years.

Literally the worst way to bring him back to being an "anti-hero/villain/whatever sells merchandise".

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
The Flash Venom status quo was a rare thing in superhero comics: actual character progression.

Eddie was a repentant civilian, working at a homeless shelter. The symbiote had been long ago confiscated by Shield. That's a pretty good, logical conclusion for the classic Venom.

Flash Thompson, the bully jock from the old days, joined the Army after high school, grew up a lot, and became far more nuanced a character, especially after he got both of his legs blown off in Iraq. That too is a pretty good progression for a classic, one dimensional character.

Then Flash as a war hero vet was asked by the government to take the symbiote for a spin. He got his legs back (while wearing the symbiote), went on missions, got to be one of the NY Supers that he always idolized.

Then he wound up in space on a mission, met Quill and the gang, and decided to quit his job, keep the symbiote, and stay in space. Chill on Knowhere for a while, meet exotic civilizations and learn more about the symbiote's species. Have space adventures with some Cosmic Marvel deep cuts.

All of it was a long, interesting story, and one that organically progressed. It was the opposite of what usually happens with most Marvel & DC characters, which is that they have to be corporate logos who never progress or change for decades, or when they do, have to be reset to what most people remember.

Eddie putting the suit back on and becoming Venom again after all this is dumb. It's that reset button that always has to be pressed sooner or later.

Adult Cyclops and Adult Jean Grey will come back to life someday, and they'll live in the mansion with Xavier. Peter Parker will be broke again. Logan will come back to life and Laura will disappear. Every time, the lazy creator who does it will do interview and say "we're getting him/her back to his/her roots where he/she SHOULD BE!!". And we'll get a bunch of dumb, repetitious derivative stories, just like we're about to get with Eddie and the Symbiote.

This opinion was really well put and I agree with you 100%. I am not 6 years old anymore, and the edgelord original venom isn't going to keep me reading.

Garlador

Nightwing. Nightwing has somehow endured.

... though I miss his time as Batman.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I hope this somehow brings back anti venom. I don't care if Eddie is using it or not.

IrishNinja

hype! i was a fan of flash's run, but this could be cool, and the current (?) guy having the suit is just about the worst one yet

There's one going on right now called Lazarus Contract and just before that there was Night of the Monster Men.

You don't seem to understand what a crossover event is.

thank you

Wood Man

Flash was fun for a while but I always thought he was just a place holder host. It was always meant to go back to Eddie. Too bad Marvel has been running poor Eddie in the dirt for over a decade now.

VeeP

Flash was fun for a while but I always thought he was just a place holder host. It was always meant to go back to Eddie. Too bad Marvel has been running poor Eddie in the dirt for over a decade now.

I mean, Eddie's actually had character development for the past decade, but I guess if we want to make his one obsession in life to get revenge against Spiderman again and reverse all that development, sure, we can go back to him.

PsychBat!

Banned
yeah just throw his character development down the toilet in a single issue.

Bane

Yeah, can't remember the issue number but its them versus the vampire avengers IIRC

Huh, I didn't know he worked for Marvel. I was introduced to him through Secret Six and really dig him. Seems like he's not done much since Megalopolis with Simone though.

Labolas

Hype for the event. It sounds like it's going to be big dumb fun. With that said man I miss Flash as Venom. The best written Venom and the one with the most character depth. It makes sense for Eddie to be the best one suited for type of situation but I hope that Flash is a major character as well.

Top Bottom