• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 has made me a DC fan, and I hated DC

Eh, Wonder Woman typically tries to use compassion and understanding to defeat her opponents and subdue them. If worse comes to worse she doesn't mind killing with the greater good which is fine. Some situations like Max Lord just can't be resolved as an ambassador of peace.

Injustice Wonder Woman however seems cold to a comical standpoint. Having read all the injustice material so far Superman's fall from grace seems understandable. Wonder Woman seems like a bad person who only aligned with the league and followed their rules to be on the winning side. As soon as the Joker stuff happened, she didn't even pretend to save Clark from going off the edge.

I think the implication across both games is that she has feelings for Superman. When he presents his idea, she adopts his point of view as her own dogma. So imo Superman was the driving force between the worst baddies.

I really really liked Young Justice series. I recommend that one the highest.

But yeah, this game has made me look into DC stuff I missed. I am looking to buy the Justice League animated show and watch that. (Didn't know what the hell Justice League was in the game)
Absolutely do this. I'd watch the Superman and Batman solo series as well, but even if you just watch JL you're in for a treat. It has the best version of Superman that makes him both the good guy and interesting. There's an arc late in the series based around him that's fantastic.

Bold One

Flashpoint WW was not Superman's bitch, she was her own person and major driving force in Flashpoint. Her personality can be justified somewhat by the timeline changes, she never developed the ideals of the classic version.

Injustice WW had classic ideals pre-regime but dumped them.

Nothing she does in that film can be 'justified' - sorry, being your own person is not a license for adultery, war crimes, murder, genocide and infanticide.

And fuck Aquaman in that film too.

VanWinkle

See, that's the thing. You liked Marvel because you've seen MORE from the Marvel universe. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the best thing to happen to their brand because now people can love Marvel beyond, "the people who do Spiderman." DC is slowly trying to get past being the "Batman brand," and a game like this is the perfect showcase for how awesome the DC comics universe is.

Sou Da

Wanna provide some specifics as opposed to vague snootiness?

Referring to every Injustice story here: It's a very tired Post-Crisis "absolute power corrupts" Superman story where the unchanging Batman has to triumph.

It's a fun, dumb story that's only really good for the "Alfred beats up Superman" type moments but it's nothing novel and it takes a shitton of characters to be out of character to work.

It's Civil War to the Extreme. It's on the level of those ______ Kills the Marvel Universe books.

Renekton

Nothing she does in that film can be 'justified' - sorry, being your own person is not a license for adultery, war crimes, murder, genocide and infanticide.

And fuck Aquaman in that film too.
I'm not talking about moral justification.

It is whether the character personality is consistent in the context of the timeline. Flashpoint WW's eventual personality is quite plausible, Injustice WW's is not very imo.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Referring to every Injustice story here: It's a very tired Post-Crisis "absolute power corrupts" Superman story where the unchanging Batman has to triumph.

It's a fun, dumb story that's only really good for the "Alfred beats up Superman" type moments but it's nothing novel and it takes a shitton of character to be out of character to work.

It's Civil War to the Extreme.
So how does this refute what I said? What about Netherrealm's approach displays some kind of fundamental misunderstanding of the DC characters outside of the obvious conceits made for an elseworlds story?

Some Nobody

Marvel has better stories, DC has better characters.

You've picked a good time to start liking DC too. Rebirth has been a pretty solid event so far.

Wonder Woman has always been an exceptionally disciplined hero who pushes her military upbringing in her beliefs and ideals.

For example, she has no problem breaking Max Lord's (basically DC's Purple Man) neck after he takes over Superman's and other metahumans minds.

ulmimo-lord.jpg

Neither Superman nor Bats has the stomach to do what needs to be done when absolutely necessary.

When people bring this scene up, I always wonder if they read the comic of the guy who wrote it instead of merely the tie-in. Rucka definitely wanted to get across that Diana will kill if it's an absolute last resort, but she would much rather reform through compassion and understanding than murder. Diana in Injustice is a shell of the real thing.

So's Clark, tho. Pretty sure Kingdom Come Superman saw Lois die and didn't kill the person responsible, he just fucking quit. Bruce and Clark have always been morally uncompromising.

Tizoc

It's a fun, dumb story that's only really good for the "Alfred beats up Superman" type moments but it's nothing novel and it takes a shitton of characters to be out of character to work.

It's Civil War to the Extreme. It's on the level of those ______ Kills the Marvel Universe books.
This is my main concern with how they approach the characters in this series

Bold One

I'm not talking about moral justification.

It is whether the character personality is consistent in the context of the timeline. Flashpoint WW's eventual personality is quite plausible, Injustice WW's is not very imo.

I understand I was just thrown off by the initial, not Superman's bitch comment. But apparently those two are a couple in the game now?

Always thought she ended up with Batman.

Chindogg

When people bring this scene up, I always wonder if they read the comic of the guy who wrote it instead of merely the tie-in. Rucka definitely wanted to get across that Diana will kill if it's an absolute last resort, but she would much rather reform through compassion and understanding than murder. Diana in Injustice is a shell of the real thing.

So's Clark, tho. Pretty sure Kingdom Come Superman saw Lois die and didn't kill the person responsible, he just fucking quit. Bruce and Clark have always been morally uncompromising.

That's what I meant about "absolutely necessary." Diana also has no problem killing people when it's necessary. See New Frontier, Flashpoint, etc.

acm2000

No game will change how dull I find the DC universe, not that I'm a big fan of Marvel either but at least they make for more interesting movies.

Some Nobody

That's what I meant about "absolutely necessary." Diana also has no problem killing people when it's necessary. See New Frontier, Flashpoint, etc.

Flashpoint isn't a good example; it's a world where all the heroes are failures lol. Ironically tying to Doomsday Clock quite well tho that's neither here nor there.

New Frontier is something I can't speak to, I never sat down and read it all. But I can say that WW's creator definitely leaned towards ambassador of peace as far as his intentions.

jdstorm

Banned
I understand I was just thrown off by the initial, not Superman's bitch comment. But apparently those two are a couple in the game now?

Always thought she ended up with Batman.

Batman has both Catwoman and Talia to keep him warm at night. He's doing OK.

Besides the whole Ship Batman with everyone because he is the greatest, is the stupidest thing DC regularly does.

Renekton

So how does this refute what I said? What about Netherrealm's approach displays some kind of fundamental misunderstanding of the DC characters outside of the obvious conceits made for an elseworlds story?
They don't understand Wonder Woman. They don't care if Bane's important development was gaining power without venom. They somehow turned Damian into Jason Todd. Etc

Although if I'm not mistaken... the I2 writers were from DC instead of NRS's.

LiK

Injustice 2 WW was horrible. Weakest link so I'm surprised OP liked her. I recommend watching the WW animated movie by DC. It's awesome.

I loved the story of Injustice but posts like these make me hate stories like Injustice and BvS. It feels like creators can't do some of these characters justice (har har). I'd love to just see a modern updated classic take on characters like Superman. The comics have shown that's very possible.

Some Nobody

They don't understand Wonder Woman. They don't care if Bane's important development was gaining power without venom. They somehow turned Damian into Jason Todd. Etc

Huh. I'd just assumed NRS went for the easy shock value stuff and that's how we got the story we did, honestly.

Q8D3vil

Batman has both Catwoman and Talia to keep him warm at night. He's doing OK.

Besides the whole Ship Batman with everyone because he is the greatest, is the stupidest thing DC regularly does.
Its more of a batman writers thing especially bruce timm.
He couldnt resist ruining the killing joke with his batman on batgirl fetish.

Shaanyboi

Banned

They understand WW just fine as shown by the story in the last game. But this isn't that normal WW, just as Superman has been made into an irredeemable dick. Trying to make that comparison is pointless. Damian is simply leaning into what he was raised to believe from his upbringing - he's hardly the fucking edgelord Jason Todd became for a while.

And i'm not sure why Bane's presentation should be deemed as poor considering he's barely a factor in this plot at all and is there purely to fill out the roster.

Sheroking

Injustice 2 WW was horrible. Weakest link so I'm surprised OP liked her. I recommend watching the WW animated movie by DC. It's awesome.

Well... every character on the Regime side of BOTH games is so widely distorted by this plot that I'm not sure you can they messed up the character.

They weren't trying to adapt them as they normally are.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Well... every character on the Regime side of BOTH games is so widely distorted by this plot that I'm not sure you can they messed up the character.

He'll, they did adapt them as they normally are. Regular Wonder Woman came into this world in the last game and was like "what the fuck is other me doing?!"

Staf

Agree. I hope they abandon Injustice and make a Justice fightning game next.

Eidan

I don't know how a person could dislike DC after watching ANY of the DCAU. It just seems like a comically terrible opinion to have.

I love DC and Marvel. And I hope someday Marvel gets a series like Injustice. The Marvel vs. Capcom series simply doesn't cut it.

Edit: I'm also surprised I'm hearing so much whining about characters being "out of character" from supposed fans of the comics. This is standard alternative Earth stuff we see all the time. There is no "out of character". It wasn't out of character for WW to be a militant asshole in Flashpoint. It wasn't "out of character" for the entire Justice League to be militant assholes in the Justice Lord episodes of the animated series. As long as the changes are explained by the narrative, I'm cool with the story going hog wild. If you want a good and virtuous Superman and Wonder Woman in your Injustice title, there's always the first one.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Marvel has better stories, DC has better characters.

DC has like three better characters. Overall Marvel trumps DC in both departments and has for decades, and DC has known it for a long time. In the early '80s they even considered licensing their characters to Marvel, in essence giving up on being able to compete on the same level. But instead they did Crisis on Infinite Earths. Whether one thinks that was a wise choice or not is a personal matter.

Injustice 2's main strength is that it's reminiscent of a DCAU alternate reality story. The best aspect of DC of the last 4 decades is the DCAU. It's the best animated superhero material ever made, and nothing else even comes close. A strong case could be made for Batman: The Animated Series being the best superhero material in TV or film, period. That's the DC legacy at its best, and it's unlikely anyone will match it any time soon. Including DC themselves.

Neoxon

I don't know how a person could dislike DC after watching ANY of the DCAU. It just seems like a comically terrible opinion to have.

I love DC and Marvel. And I hope someday Marvel gets a series like Injustice. The Marvel vs. Capcom series simply doesn't cut it.

Edit: I'm also surprised I'm hearing so much whining about characters being "out of character" from supposed fans of the comics. This is standard alternative Earth stuff we see all the time. There is no "out of character". It wasn't out of character for WW to be a militant asshole in Flashpoint. It wasn't "out of character" for the entire Justice League to be militant assholes in the Justice Lord episodes of the animated series. As long as the changes are explained by the narrative, I'm cool with the story going hog wild. If you want a good and virtuous Superman and Wonder Woman in your Injustice title, there's always the first one.
There's nothing inherently wrong with the MvC games, not every comic book fighting game has to be just like Injustice. It wouldn't have lasted as long as it has if people didn't like the MvC games. And besides, it's not like WB would want NRS to aid the enemy (at least Lego has the Marvel license, thus explaining that). Marvel seems happy with their arrangement with Capcom that has endured since the 90's, & there's no real reason to change it now.

And to answer the OP's questions, watch the DCAU shows (Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League/Justice League: Unlimited, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, etc.), read some of the classic (All-Star Superman, Batman: The Killing Joke, Flashpoint Paradox, etc.) & current Rebirth comics, try out the Batman Arkham games (if you ask me, go in chronological order, which is Origins -> Asylum -> City -> Knight), watch some of the animated movies (Flashpoint Paradox, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, etc.), & dig deeper. The rabbit hole for DC can go just as deep as it does for Marvel.

Shaanyboi

Banned
DC has like three better characters. Overall Marvel trumps DC in both departments and has for decades, and DC has known it for a long time. In the early '80s they even considered licensing their characters to Marvel, in essence giving up on being able to compete on the same level. But instead they did Crisis on Infinite Earths. Whether one thinks that was a wise choice or not is a personal matter.

Injustice 2's main strength is that it's reminiscent of a DCAU alternate reality story. The best aspect of DC of the last 4 decades is the DCAU. It's the best animated superhero material ever made, and nothing else even comes close. A strong case could be made for Batman: The Animated Series being the best superhero material in TV or film, period. That's the DC legacy at its best, and it's unlikely anyone will match it any time soon. Including DC themselves.
You say this as if Marvel's readership and quality hasn't been regressing in the last few years, especially in the face of DC's Rebirth line which has already produced numerous must-read stories in just a year.

Almost as if the quality of these books is more reliant on the shoulders of capable writers as opposed to some inherited roster of characters and whatever their presumed worth is. Something neither publisher can claim exclusive mastery of.

Neoxon

You say this as if Marvel's readership and quality hasn't been regressing in the last few years, especially in the face of DC's Rebirth line which has already produced numerous must-read stories in just a year.

Almost as if the quality of these books is more reliant on the shoulders of capable writers as opposed to some inherited roster of characters. Something neither publisher can claim exclusive mastery of.
The sad part is that when Marvel has a book that comes close to the quality of the Rebirth books, they up & cancel it (Ex: the current Nova series). That's not to say that there aren't currently other gems at Marvel, they just don't shine as bright as Rebirth at the moment.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

That's not an uncommon take on what WW could become on DC's part. They had a similarly twisted WW in Flashpoint and in the alternate timeline that Batman beyond encountered in the comics.

They really did make her unlikable in IJ2 though. Glommed onto Kara and fed her lies solely to free Superman then immediately wanted to kill her when she wasn't instantly on-board.

Eidan

There's nothing inherently wrong with the MvC games, not every comic book fighting game has to be just like Injustice. It wouldn't have lasted as long as it has if people didn't like the MvC games. And besides, it's not like WB would want NRS to aid the enemy (at least Lego has the Marvel license, thus explaining that). Marvel seems happy with their arrangement with Capcom that has endured since the 90's, & there's no real reason to change it now.

I agree that there's nothing inherently wrong with MvC. But as a fan of Marvel, I feel MvC provides an inferior experience for anyone who loves the characters, and wish Marvel had a high quality fighter that took full advantage of its license, instead of being hamstrung with a roster with 50% niche Japansese video game characters and a story which I hesitate to even dignify with the moniker of "an afterthought".

Veedot

I grew up loving Marvel and hating anything from DC that wasn't Batman. I used to say the only good thing about DC was Batman. But I also never made any effort to attempt to learn about characters besides Batman.

I later started actually reading other characters and learned to appreciate them. Now I pretty much hate Batman but find everything surrounding him interesting. I love his supporting cast, villains, and the robins(except damian). But I find Bruce Wayne terribly boring at this point and it doesn't help that the DCAU is over saturated with Bat content. Granted most of the Bat stuff is good, I just wish they put out more things like the WW 2009 movie and less bat related things.

Also if you like IJ2 WW you might hate most other versions of her lol.

Neoxon

I agree that there's nothing inherently wrong with MvC. But as a fan of Marvel, I feel MvC provides an inferior experience for anyone who loves the characters, and wish Marvel had a high quality fighter that took full advantage of its license, instead of being hamstrung with a roster with 50% niche Japansese video game characters and a story which I hesitate to even dignify with the moniker of "an afterthought".
Then it sounds like what you want from Capcom is Marvel Super Heroes 2. And I wouldn't necessarily call Street Fighter or Resident Evil niche.

As for the story, it's likely to be written by someone from Marvel, seeing as they already got Frank Tieri to do the in-game character dialogue like in (U)MvC3 (but he's said to not be in charge of the Cinematic Story Mode).

That's nice to hear. Some of the irrational hate or disdain directed toward DC is just kinda weird to witness sometimes. I mean, they have produced plenty of terrible stuff, but so would every brand that's been around for that long.

And even though I tend to prefer DC for a couple of reasons, I'd never make the argument that it's actually better than Marvel. Anybody who's ever enjoyed one story involving superheroes, well, both Marvel and DC have hundreds if not thousands of other stories that you'd enjoy as well. The characters don't matter, only the writers behind them do. And said writers constantly move from one company to the other aside from some rare exceptions like Bendis.

I'm surprised by the Wonder Woman love though, I thought she was the worst part of the game. I don't get what her motivations are supposed to be at all aside from: "Hey dictator-Superman is hot!"

Some Nobody

Snore. This Superman heel turn is the first time I've ever been interested in him and hope that they at least wrap this story up.

lol. You're interested in a character that's not really Superman, tho.

He'll, they did adapt them as they normally are. Regular Wonder Woman came into this world in the last game and was like "what the fuck is other me doing?!"

Yeah but original Injustice's point was that these heroes are all just one bad event away from becoming terrible versions of themselves, and that they only stand for truth and justice as long as life goes well for them, but as soon as it goes bad they cave and become fascist jerkbags.

Renekton

It didn't hurt SMASH. I think Marvel's property is conducive for crossover fun. They don't have to take themselves seriously and that is for the best because that way you can mess around with Rocket Raccoon. Injustice's serious tone forces it to invent contrivances why Green Arrow can stand up to Superman. Also Capcom does fighting mechanics very well, so that's a plus. Having said all that, MvCI looks worryingly rough :|

They understand WW just fine as shown by the story in the last game. But this isn't that normal WW, just as Superman has been made into an irredeemable dick. Trying to make that comparison is pointless. Damian is simply leaning into what he was raised to believe from his upbringing - he's hardly the fucking edgelord Jason Todd became for a while. And i'm not sure why Bane's presentation should be deemed as poor considering he's barely a factor in this plot at all and is there purely to fill out the roster.
Yeah well this topic is about how well the I2 characters are portrayed, not about consoling myself with my favorite version. I2 WW doesn't have much of an arc other than a Scarecrow guilt trip. She turned into Superman's Evilin in this universe and abandoned all her ideals without too much fuss. It's not a great portrayal of her regardless of any preferred version, same for Bane. Damian defnitely acts like Jason. If the game just calls him Robin and doesn't mention the League of Assassins, people would have thought he was Jason Todd until he uses the sword :/

Forkball

Batman: The Animated Series
Superman: The Animated Series
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited

Watch those and you will have a stronger appreciation of DC and its characters. I like a lot of Marvel movies and enjoyed the X-Men and Spider-Man animated shows as a kid, but no Marvel animation touches the golden era of the DC animated universe.

It's a fun alt-universe story but I don't thin it understands the characters at all. I would recommend Kingdom Come, it shares some plot points to a (small) degree but it really shows why Superman is a great character.

True Fire

It's a fun alt-universe story but I don't thin it understands the characters at all. I would recommend Kingdom Come, it shares some plot points to a (small) degree but it really shows why Superman is a great character.

Kingdom Come is a great place to start, because it's a reconstruction of the DC universe. It's a direct response to dark and edgy DC comics. It's a good transition from Injustice to DC proper.

I think most of the heroes in this game come across as really unlikable, so I didn't enjoy that aspect of the story. Elseworld or no Elseworld, I would like one character to root for.

As for the topic, I have a Love/Hate relationship with DC. While I do prefer them to Marvel most of the time and love their characters, I dislike the current people in charge and their MO on things.

OP, do me a favor and read American Alien and The Legend of Wonder Woman. The versions of Superman and Wonder Woman you like are called the Crime Syndicate. I think you need to be properly introduced to those characters and those books do a dam good job at showing you why people like them.

Top Bottom