• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 has made me a DC fan, and I hated DC

OP, do me a favor and read American Alien and The Legend of Wonder Woman. The versions of Superman and Wonder Woman you like are called the Crime Syndicate. I think you need to be properly introduced to those characters and those books do a dam good job at showing you why people like them.

I'd also add All Star Superman.

shingi70

Banned
It didn't hurt SMASH. I think Marvel's property is conducive for crossover fun. They don't have to take themselves seriously and that is for the best because that way you can mess around with Rocket Raccoon. Injustice's serious tone forces it to invent contrivances why Green Arrow can stand up to Superman. Also Capcom does fighting mechanics very well, so that's a plus. Having said all that, MvCI looks worryingly rough :|

Yeah well this topic is about how well the I2 characters are portrayed, not about consoling myself with my favorite version. I2 WW doesn't have much of an arc other than a Scarecrow guilt trip. She turned into Superman's Evilin in this universe and abandoned all her ideals without too much fuss. It's not a great portrayal of her regardless of any preferred version, same for Bane. Damian defnitely acts like Jason. If the game just calls him Robin and doesn't mention the League of Assassins, people would have thought he was Jason Todd until he uses the sword :/

It's not about hurting smash, it's more to the point as a Marvel Fan, you want something similar to injustice. An all Marvel fighter with a meaty story and nine pies other single player options.

AAK

I'm pretty much the opposite. I'm a fan & supporter of MK9 and MKX, but aside from the Batman characters, DCU really turns me off and I'm skipping I2 because of it.

Skilletor

dc movies are better than marvel movies..so are the games. come at me brahs

Nah, I wouldn't want to catch whatever it is you have. You can stay where you are.

Surprised to see a lack of Teen Titans recommendations. That was good right? Or was I just young?

Watch Batman tas
Super man tas
Justice league and justice league unlimited
Teen titans
Batman beyond
Batman mask of the phantasm
Young justice

Red hood animated movie
Dark knight animated movie

Films to see

Superman '81
Superman II
Batman '89
Batman Returns
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (This is the best on the list)
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Batman Under the Red Hood
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

You can't really go wrong with most DC movies. Just avoid the 90s Batman movies, Superman sequels after II, and some of the more recent (non animated) stuff and you'll be fine.

Fezan

I like DC universe more than marvel and I hated what Injustice did with DC heroes.
For an alternate reality, Justice league did much better job showing fallen league. They were dictators but not batshit insane.

I like DC universe more than marvel and I hated what Injustice did with DC heroes.
For an alternate reality, Justice league did much better job showing fallen league. They were dictators but not batshit insane.

The Justice Lords?

I liked the way that was managed, even if it felt like a bit of a stretch for Superman right there in the beginning.
How he was immediately OK with what he did

I think Kingdom Come did a great job showing just how much Clark can take.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had the DC trading cards as a kid. I love Batman, but everyone else didn't feel right. I liked Speedy, his trading card was one of my favorites. I was more of a Marvel fan. I had my Marvel cards in a book versus a rubber band around the DC cards.

Long story short I bought way more Batman comics over the years. That's basically been my experience with DC. The Injustice games have helped me with the characters. I have been looking into the cast and getting to know their back stories. It has been interesting.

Fezan

The Justice Lords?

I liked the way that was managed, even if it felt like a bit of a stretch for Superman right there in the beginning.
How he was immediately OK with what he did

I think Kingdom Come did a great job showing just how much Clark can take.

Yup. still much better than injustice. Most villain characters are crap in that game. No grey area just pshycotic murderes

It's personal opinions. I've seen some hardcore DC fans who really despise the Injustice take on these characters and hate that this version of them is what's successful to the mainstream. It is kinda fucked up that an evil Superman and Wonder Woman is whats selling before any true take on these characters.

Skilletor

Justice Lords definitely does a better job of "evil" superman than Injustice. Dude went from "No killing" to "Fuck it, kill errybody" like his morals are a binary choice.

All Star Superman is brilliant but I'd never introduce someone to DC with Grant Morrison. It's better to ease people in, his stuff is too weird for newcomers.

It's personal opinions. I've seen some hardcore DC fans who really despise the Injustice take on these characters and hate that this version of them is what's successful to the mainstream. It is kinda fucked up that an evil Superman and Wonder Woman is whats selling before any true take on these characters.

I think it's excusable due to the nature of it being a story-based fighting game. You don't want to have Batman and Superman on the same side, it would be no fun for this particular genre. I usually dislike dark and moody Superman but I'm fine with it here. WW is a different problem, she's just poorly written. But other than that, I found Injustice 2 to be a pretty great rendition of DC as a whole.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I think that's because they stand for supreme justice and ultimate power. After a while people don't see him doing anything besides saving the day.It's like Kingdom Come. The best part was
when Superman is beyond pissed off and he's about to slaughter everyone

I'd like to know more about his challenges against villains, his experience in other parts of the galaxy, etc. it's so easy for him to be evil and have that interest players because he's practically unstoppable.

That's my issue with Captain America. He's cool, but he is the same poster child for Justice. Not everyone wants to dig deep. It's possible if they pick the right villain though.

Lokimaru

Redeemable people don't get shit done. Without the Regime Earth would have been Fucked. Without the the insurgency Brainiac wouldn't have even come to Earth. Superman had an Army of Asskickers on his side, Grodd and his cronies would have been behind Bars or Dead. Batman did some dirty shit during the five years before Injustice that he's never made to answer for just to stop Superman.

Both He and his People have this superiority complex that is unreal. Hell Alfred was basically just Bruce's enabler who never really calls him on his shit even when he's clearly in the wrong. Batman escalated every meeting between him and Superman instead of making a true effort to reach Clark and talk him down just so he could be in a position of Strength in case things went south. That's like planing for the worst whilst hoping for the worst. After awhile Clark just stopped listening yet He still tried to be merciful by doing to Bruce what Bruce should have done to the Joker years ago, Paralyze him and it still didn't work.

I see why Gotham is so fucked up. When the guy protecting it has a punch first mentality you'll start punching first too or taking hostages just to protect yourself and get the upper hand. If you were in a three count gunfight with a guy you know draws on two, wouldn't you draw on one? It'd be stupid not to.

Sephzilla

I think it's more just that the story is mostly executed well and is entertaining. It's not like DCEU Superman, who isn't a really true take on the character, is lighting up the charts or anything. Plus I think the game does a pretty good job of making it obvious that this isn't the proper version of Superman or Wonder Woman.

Plus, we've had true takes on the characters that got really popular.

4329893-justice-league-dcau.jpg

I can't see how someone could hate DC in this day and age when there's been so many good DC cartoons, videogames and Batman movies.

Redeemable people don't get shit done. Without the Regime Earth would have been Fucked. Without the the insurgency Brainiac wouldn't have even come to Earth. Superman had an Army of Asskickers on his side, Grodd and his cronies would have been behind Bars or Dead. Batman did some dirty shit during the five years before Injustice that he's never made to answer for just to stop Superman.

Both He and his People have this superiority complex that is unreal. Hell Alfred was basically just Bruce's enabler who never really calls him on his shit even when he's clearly in the wrong. Batman escalated every meeting between him and Superman instead of making a true effort to reach Clark and talk him down just so he could be in a position of Strength in case things went south. That's like planing for the worst whilst hoping for the worst. After awhile Clark just stopped listening yet He still tried to be merciful by doing to Bruce what Bruce should have done to the Joker years ago, Paralyze him and it still didn't work.

I see why Gotham is so fucked up. When the guy protecting it has a punch first mentality you'll start punching first too or taking hostages just to protect yourself and get the upper hand. If you were in a three count gunfight with a guy you know draws on two, wouldn't you draw on one? It'd be stupid not to.

I wouldn't side with a dude who would kill his own friends, even a child, just to force people to be on his side. There are times to question what is justice and how justice should be handled. Superman's Regime is a dictatorship.
I think it's more just that the story is mostly executed well and is entertaining. It's not like DCEU Superman, who isn't a really true take on the character, is lighting up the charts or anything. Plus I think the game does a pretty good job of making it obvious that this isn't the proper version of Superman or Wonder Woman.

Plus, we've had true takes on the characters that got really popular.

4329893-justice-league-dcau.jpg
And most comic fans want games based on this version or something close to the comics.

Piers

Haven't played the game, what's wrong with Swamp Thing?

I think it's largely how expressionless he (and Grodd) are that bugs me -- but they also look kind of dumb. They evoke a 70's B movie vibe in design. The Swamp Thing quite literally is a B movie horror trope. Telepathy on a talking ape also goes a few notches too far into absurdity for me too.
And that isn't a bad thing, it just seems jarring to me especially when the roster is designed with a degree of modern sophistication. (Superman/Batman's armour in particular)

Mesoian

This is one of the worst DC things though.

It's really not though.

Hell, you can argue that the Injustice comic with game tie ins, is probably DC's best super hero book right now.

And most comic fans want games based on this version or something close to the comics.

To be fair, that was almost 15 years ago.

I get people want their heroes with hearts of gold, but we've sort of gone past that. All comic heroes have sort of moved past that, for better or worse.

Eidan

I really don't share the concerns about not seeing the "real" Superman and Wonder Woman. Partly because we do see them, in the original Injustice, but mostly because I know what the real Superman and Wonder Woman are, and seeing different takes on them doesn't make me uncomfortable. Just like my problems with Batman v. Superman didn't rest in "Superman is too grumpy" or "Batman kills people".

I feel like this complaint is rooted in a fear that the larger masses will think these variations in the characters are the true characters. It's like some fans feel the need to protect the characters' brand.

To be fair, that was almost 15 years ago.

I get people want their heroes with hearts of gold, but we've sort of gone past that. All comic heroes have sort of moved past that, for better or worse.

Not really, especially when Batman is still Batman in games.

AlStrong

So's Clark, tho. Pretty sure Kingdom Come Superman saw Lois die and didn't kill the person responsible, he just fucking quit. Bruce and Clark have always been morally uncompromising.

I wondered if maybe Lex being a friend on Injustice Earth morally stunted Clark. From the prequel comics, it feels like Clark just feeds on his own hubris without any real counter-argument; Clark just didn't have that nemesis over the years to force him to develop along certain moral lines.

On a side note, in the first game on the other Earth, evil Lex seemed the reason why Joker didn't go all the way with killing Lois, instead just settling for planning to nuke the city.

I always thought the cartoons were sweet. Sadly they seem to do well enough to get a new series made but none of them do well enough to last more than a season or 2 without being flat out canceled or getting rebooted.

cakely

Watch Batman tas
Super man tas
Justice league and justice league unlimited
Teen titans
Batman beyond
Batman mask of the phantasm
Young justice

Red hood animated movie
Dark knight animated movie

Seconded.

Batman, JL and JLU are pretty much what made me like the DC universe at all. Watch them all, they're amazing.

Also, the Red hood movie is outstanding.

wamberz1

I still can't believe people in Injustice are willing to give Hal a second chance after what he did to Guy.

Seriously, fuck Hal.

Also when you get around to watching JLU, and hit an episode called "Epilogue" just save it and watch it at the very end of watching the rest of the DCAU. It makes it a lot more meaningful, since it was supposed to be the end of the entire DCAU, but there was an entire bonus season of JLU after it, which takes away from it a bit.

eagledare

I'm with you, OP. Always loved Batman but couldn't have given a rat's balls about the rest of the DC universe until Injustice/IJ 2.

Also, for those saying IJ/IJ 2 is a weak DC property, at least it's a gateway to "better" DC properties. I never would have listened to Metallica's Master of Puppets if I hadn't heard and enjoyed Load first.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
All Star Superman is brilliant but I'd never introduce someone to DC with Grant Morrison. It's better to ease people in, his stuff is too weird for newcomers.

But his Batman run is the best. It also doesn't get 'weird' till RIP.

Edit: Maybe the Meditation stuff is a little trippy... still, he makes comics a fucking joy to read. Most stuff out there is shockingly bad.

Varjis

It is funny, as someone who grew up watching the Batman, Superman and Justice League Animated Series the Injustice games feel almost like a progression due to the same voice actors. (Kevin Conroy is Batman to me forever.)

I think it would be interesting to see someone who picked up the shows after playing Injustice and realize the voices for alot of these characters have been the same people for 20 years.. ;)

Plus they get to hear Mark Hamill as the Joker, THE BEST JOKER.

Also, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice are all on Netflix.

But his Batman run is the best. It also doesn't get 'weird' till RIP.

Edit: Maybe the Meditation stuff is a little trippy... still, he makes comics a fucking joy to read. Most stuff out there is shockingly bad.

He's my favorite superhero writer but outside of a few exceptions like JLA and his first couple of arcs on Batman, I'd say he's an acquired taste. The weird 50s / 60s quirkiness of All Star Superman might not be the best entry point for new readers despite how great it is once you understand the history of the character.

He could turn his fists into maces, maces

Lol, now that you mention it, I can picture him as an alternate skin for Blue Beetle.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Superman let out a serial killer and set him loose on Alfred, all because he was "disrespected". Fuck Superman, and fuck his regime.

Top Bottom