• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: If anything, it's got better since we were bought by PlayStation

Pelta88

"If anything, it's just got better [since the acquisition]," Intihar starts. "I forget a lot of the times we are part of PlayStation. We've worked with them for so long. We've had the same producers for forever. And at the end of the day, they want the same things we do. They want to make great games and take care of people. Our producers Mark Cerny, Grady Hunt, Connie Booth... they care about whether we are happy, and whether we have everything to make the game great."

"I can't owe them enough. Connie and Grady… they just want to give us what we need to make the game great. No questions asked. When you have that kind of support, you want to do it for them, just as much as you want to do it for the players."

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Seems pretty great to be a PlayStation studio, as long as you're delivering they're not gonna micromanage you or push your games out before they're ready like some other publishers.

Of course, if you don't deliver your studio gets shut down, but yeah.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Jim Ryan with Insomniac like

rise of the footsoldier pat tate GIF

Flabagast

Bethesa also said it's got better since they were bought by Microsoft, and, well...

Always remember that those executive guys got paid a few millions during the acquisitions processes, that comes with the requirement of becoming a shill.

Last edited:

Bry0

Not Bungie
Sorry, to criticize bungie you need to buy the Destiny annual feedback pass for 19.99. But that’s included in the Final Shape premium edition including the dungeon pass, expansion content, and light level increase for only 109.99. Does not include previous annual feedback passes however. Also we are on season 3 of the feedback pass so prior criticism relating to seasons 1 and 2 don’t apply.

Solidus_T

They seem comfy, but I hate that they are a Marvel factory now. I get the games are good and popular, but I want new IP creative Insomniac back. Or hell, at least a return to Resistance or Sunset Overdrive.
They need to at least make a resistance collection IMO. The Resistance games single player was very unique and interesting.

More of these games would be ideal though

Last edited:

Pelta88

Are people really trying to downplaying insom's statements, despite insom themselves documenting their incredible working relationship with PS before they were acquired? I guess we need some recipts...

"We’ve enjoyed a special relationship with PlayStation practically since our inception."

"This game would not exist if it wasn't for PlayStation, if not for their support," said Intihar. "Any time I wanted to do something, wanted to make some drastic change, it was just like, 'Okay'.
"I never heard about anything. It was just 'Go do it.' The question was, 'Is it gonna make the game better?' and I'd say, 'Yep', and they'd go, 'Okay', and that would be the last time I'd hear about it...I owe everything to PlayStation".

Sodium:
But... But... They got paid to say this!
Gamers:

walking-away-james-harden.gif

Last edited:
They seem comfy, but I hate that they are a Marvel factory now. I get the games are good and popular, but I want new IP creative Insomniac back. Or hell, at least a return to Resistance or Sunset Overdrive.

With the success they have, and how efficient they are, I expect them to get bigger and bigger, and tackle new, original IPs again...But having such a talented bunch take care of Marvel properties is a plus in my book!

GymWolf

Of course they improved, now they have fucking sony behind them, bigger budget, bigger team, some shared tech between studios etc.

It would be strange if it was the opposite, sony is not papa EA.

Last edited:

Hudo

Well your the one that dragged Russia into this. Its like changing that for Nazi Germany.

I'm sure working for Sony is fine though and really can't be compared to a communist or fascist dictatorship.
No, you were the one who took that and equated it me saying that working for Sony is like living in Russia. I was merely making an obvious hyperbolic analogy, because again, what else would were they supposed to say in that setup?

But fine, extra for you, I'll add a disclaimer.

No, you were the one who took that and equated it me saying that working for Sony is like living in Russia. I was merely making an obvious hyperbolic analogy, because again, what else would were they supposed to say in that setup?

But fine, extra for you, I'll add a disclaimer.

Can I be in the disclaimer?

:)

kaizenkko

Bethesa also said it's got better since they were bought by Microsoft, and, well...

Always remember that those executive guys got paid a few millions during the acquisitions processes, that comes with the requirement of becoming a shill.
Even devs who left Sony's talk good things about they, especially the freedom to develop games, time, resources, etc.

The way to differentiate PR talk from a genuine comment is the results: Insomniac's games in partnership with Sony are a success, and the upcoming Spider-Man 2 appears to be their magnus open.

What else were they supposed to say? lmao. It's like asking someone in a TV interview in Russia if Russia is awesome.

Edit: This is just an obvious hyperbolic analogy to get the point across. So no, you idiots, Sony is not Russia, holy shit.
What else they’re supposed to say? You can say for example what ms is saying about their studios: we don’t care, we just let them do what they want to do, we don’t interfere. 🥹

TexMex

I don’t doubt it’s great to work under Sony or anything, but I think it’s a little disingenuous to frame it like Sony just gives all the latitude in the world and you just have total freedom and unlimited funding. They get this because they’re making the sequel to the best selling PlayStation game ever basically. I would be very surprised to hear that this level of support extends to all devs Sony owns.

Hudo

What else they’re supposed to say? You can say for example what ms is saying about their studios: we don’t care, we just let them do what they want to do, we don’t interfere. 🥹
"Vita means Life". Then just leave the interview without elaborating further.

Killjoy-NL

I don’t doubt it’s great to work under Sony or anything, but I think it’s a little disingenuous to frame it like Sony just gives all the latitude in the world and you just have total freedom and unlimited funding. They get this because they’re making the sequel to the best selling PlayStation game ever basically. I would be very surprised to hear that this level of support extends to all devs Sony owns.
But that should be a given.

If you're the most productive and consistent employee, your employer will be less strict towards you compared to your coworker that has the hardest time keeping up.

That's how business works and why Sony keeps a good track-record with their 1st party output, raising the bar with each major release.

bender

What time is it?
Considering they've been a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party studio, they'd be in position to stay. I think people forget that the relationship between Sony and Insomniac wasn't the strongest towards the end of the PS3 generation and into the beginning of the PS4 generation.

They've always been a workhorse developer that usually delivers a high level of quality and the quantity of their efforts sets them apart from Sony's other big name studios. In turn Sony gives them the necessary funding and access to IP that they wouldn't have if they were independent. Win/Win.

TexMex

But that should be a given.

If you're the most productive and consistent employee, your employer will be less strict towards you compared to your coworker that has the hardest time keeping up.

That's how business works and why Sony keeps a good track-record with their 1st party output, raising the bar with each major release.

I’m not confused by any of this and didn’t say otherwise.

Top Bottom