• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: If anything, it's got better since we were bought by PlayStation

ElCasual

Jim Ryan with Insomniac like

rise of the footsoldier pat tate GIF
Wrong, that was thanks to Shawn Layden. Jim Ryan dont have the vision to buy great studios, and dont tell me that he brought Bungie because LOL.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Wrong, that was thanks to Shawn Layden. Jim Ryan dont have the vision to buy great studios, and dont tell me that he brought Bungie because LOL.

Bungie is one of the best studios in the history of the industry.

The fact they bought Audeze means he listens to the right advisors at PlayStation. We will see what happens with their recent acquisitions.

Robb

Gold Member
"We’ve enjoyed a special relationship with PlayStation practically since our inception."

"This game would not exist if it wasn't for PlayStation, if not for their support," said Intihar. "Any time I wanted to do something, wanted to make some drastic change, it was just like, 'Okay'.
"I never heard about anything. It was just 'Go do it.' The question was, 'Is it gonna make the game better?' and I'd say, 'Yep', and they'd go, 'Okay', and that would be the last time I'd hear about it...I owe everything to PlayStation".

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sounds like they just have a great camaraderie like when you have that in any job or you have a good team play mechanic even if it isn't in every aspect of the business. When you have that feels really good to have that camaraderie your motivated to work hard for the other people.

Skelterz

"If anything, it's just got better [since the acquisition]," Intihar starts. "I forget a lot of the times we are part of PlayStation. We've worked with them for so long. We've had the same producers for forever. And at the end of the day, they want the same things we do. They want to make great games and take care of people. Our producers Mark Cerny, Grady Hunt, Connie Booth... they care about whether we are happy, and whether we have everything to make the game great."

"I can't owe them enough. Connie and Grady… they just want to give us what we need to make the game great. No questions asked. When you have that kind of support, you want to do it for them, just as much as you want to do it for the players."

“I do it for shrek”

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's like asking someone in a TV interview in Russia if Russia is awesome.
Only brainwashed people in Russia can say that everything is awesome, the rest will get 7-25 year sentence and put into jail for saying the truth or for just goin' out and standing on the street with a blank sheet of paper - within seconds they'll be arested. So, maybe think before you say something.

You heard it hear folks, working for PlayStation is akin to living in Russia.
The production-quality of Sony's 1st party games from their major studios support these claims though.
Like President Ryan said, its just a localized small scale gaming operation. Nothing to see here, comrades!
Well, they have receipts. It's not just fart in the wind.
Well your the one that dragged Russia into this.
Can I be in the disclaimer?

:)

I'll take hot Russian thots
Only brainwashed people in Russia can say that everything is awesome

Spell Hudo Hudo 's name backwards.

giphy.gif

Insomniac have been one of the best studios since the PSX and it's honestly a shame that it took Spiderman for many people to finally realize it.
Don't agree personally. They've always been mid-upper tier, not top-tier, until recent times since acquisition. I loved Resistance and R&C but the titles lacked that final stage of polish for me, but there is no doubt they've leveled up since the PS3 days and they are now easily the #1 Sony Studio.

Last edited:
It's due to this consistency and studio stability that I have full confidence in SM2 to outperform SM1 in terms of Metacritic rating. My prediction is 93%, a huge leap from the 87 of SM1, but here we are. I can't wait to see how it performs with reviewers.

Last edited:

Moses85

What else were they supposed to say? lmao. It's like asking someone in a TV interview in Russia if Russia is awesome.

Edit: This is just an obvious hyperbolic analogy to get the point across. So no, you idiots, Sony is not Russia, holy shit.
WHAT? You say Russia isnt awesome?

How Dare You Greta GIF

Stooky

What else were they supposed to say? lmao. It's like asking someone in a TV interview in Russia if Russia is awesome.

Edit: This is just an obvious hyperbolic analogy to get the point across. So no, you idiots, Sony is not Russia, holy shit.
Damn people can't say they are happy about their situation? If they had been silent what would that say?

Last edited:

ABnormal

If you have at least a teen level insight capability, you should be able to tell the difference from formal statements and message contents and that kind of content and message that comes from a genuine personal impression.

KaiserBecks

I don’t understand how people keep comparing them to Santa Monica and Naughty Dog. What have those studios done this generation lmao, a cross gen game, a remake and a long overdue mp mode we still haven’t seen…It‘s Insomniac who keep this train running, not the other way around.

ABnormal

He was obviously involved in making those decisions, but you really can't believe it was all up to him, considering he wasn't even the CEO of SIE.
Well, he was the head of the WWS, so he was in charge for the choices. Approval was probably the only thing that the CEO did about.

LRKD

I remember a time when Ted Price said he was happy independent, and they had no interest in being acquired.

Ozzie666

People commenting on Insomniac, It's difficult to consider them in isolation. Their success allows Sony's other studios like Naughty Dog or SSM to take their time. Having a diverse portfolio is important. I do wonder how well Insomniac would be received without Spider-man. They have a perfect set-up, make some big cash on Spider-Man, continue with other projects like Ratchet, do well on Wolervine, then maybe they get to do something new and fresh and take risk. Then return to Marvel. I think most developers would kill for this mix of freedom and money generating titles. Hopefully they can squeeze in new projects ot counter.

People commenting on Insomniac, It's difficult to consider them in isolation. Their success allows Sony's other studios like Naughty Dog or SSM to take their time. Having a diverse portfolio is important. I do wonder how well Insomniac would be received without Spider-man. They have a perfect set-up, make some big cash on Spider-Man, continue with other projects like Ratchet, do well on Wolervine, then maybe they get to do something new and fresh and take risk. Then return to Marvel. I think most developers would kill for this mix of freedom and money generating titles. Hopefully they can squeeze in new projects ot counter.

Insomniac doesn’t have a strength in making new IP for some reason, but they are phenomenal at making good games and productions

Spider-Man was just the perfect title for them. Wolverine destined to be a monster as well

My personal top choice for them would be a Ghostbusters game

Last edited:
There have an outstanding pipeline.
They are the most productive and valuable studio Sony has at this point.
Would be fascinating to know what makes them that way.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I have to wonder when people will get tired of all the marvel bs. It seems creatively bankrupt.

Only brainwashed people in Russia can say that everything is awesome, the rest will get 7-25 year sentence and put into jail for saying the truth or for just goin' out and standing on the street with a blank sheet of paper - within seconds they'll be arested. So, maybe think before you say something.
UK put more people in jail last year for social media posts pertaining to biological reality.

Last edited:
I remember a time when Ted Price said he was happy independent, and they had no interest in being acquired.

And obviously, things change. Games cost money to make, they're highly risky endeavors. When games fail to sell to expectations, it results in reduced scale for future games, layoffs, or studio closures.

And people act as if independent studios are truly independent. A lot of times they are funded through private investors or their games are funded through publishers.

Sony should let Ted Price take over for Jim Ryan

I really think Insomniac is the most well managed studio at Sony, by far.

That just doesn't make much sense. Running a console manufacturer and running a development studio are not the same thing. And also if you look at Insomniac, they don't have a big selling IP that they own and they haven't really since Spyro. And it's not as if they haven't tried.

GymWolf

Sunset Overdrive is their best game tho

Meme Day GIF
At best it's slightly better than the last soulless ratchet.
7\10 game on a lucky day with make up, favorable lights, hot dress and wife material snapchat filter.

(and i bought the damn game twice on xone AND pc)

Last edited:
Top Bottom