• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: If anything, it's got better since we were bought by PlayStation

yurinka

Wrong, that was thanks to Shawn Layden. Jim Ryan dont have the vision to buy great studios, and dont tell me that he brought Bungie because LOL.
He was obviously involved in making those decisions, but you really can't believe it was all up to him, considering he wasn't even the CEO of SIE.
Well, he was the head of the WWS, so he was in charge for the choices. Approval was probably the only thing that the CEO did about.

Insomniac worked with Sony since the '90s.

Shawn Layden was head of SIE Worlwide Studios (now known as PS Studios) only during a year and a half until he was replaced by Hermen Hulst in September 2019.

Jim Ryan was their boss, became CEO of SIE (PS Studios is a subsidiary of SIE) in April 2019 and acquired Insomniac in August 2019.

As the CEO of SIE, Jim Ryan signed the acquisition of Insomniac, Bungie, Housemarque, Bluepoint, Nixxes and all the other ones, plus all the 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives and deals. Plus the SIE initiatives PlayStation Indies, China Hero Project or India Hero Project.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Sony should let Ted Price take over for Jim Ryan

I really think Insomniac is the most well managed studio at Sony, by far.
Naaa... if you said let him take over from Hulst as PS Studios head, then yeah, I would agree.
Insomniac doesn’t have a strength in making new IP for some reason, but they are phenomenal at making good games and productions

Spider-Man was just the perfect title for them. Wolverine destined to be a monster as well

My personal top choice for them would be a Ghostbusters game
And that is fair, not everyone has the creative girth to make a new IP, but they seem to be very good at taking an existing IP with lots of material and stitching it together in a way that it flatters the IP, and that in itself is a talent.

If you ask me, it's a great thing they are playing to their strengths.

StueyDuck

I wouldn't say they got better. they've always been an incredible studio.

i'd say they've been given two things, a weight lifted off them from always having to stay afloat and finding publishing partners or publishing themselves.

and the internal resources and help from Sony to achieve their targets, they clearly work well with Sony and their Tools/Systems etc.

I just hope they are allowed to return to VR at some point and allow smaller teams to make little games again like stormlands and song of the deep

Thirty7ven

Banned
There have an outstanding pipeline.
They are the most productive and valuable studio Sony has at this point.
Would be fascinating to know what makes them that way.

They have great technology, great management, are a very appealing company for artists due to studio culture too.

Since Spider-Man and the Sony acquisition they have grown a lot, it’s a big company at over 500 people between two studios.

You can see and feel it in their games that regardless of how you rate them they come from a studio that knows what they want to accomplish and go out there and do it without losing sleep over trying to chase gargantuan projects that will take 6 to 10 years to make.

zedinen

Wrong, that was thanks to Shawn Layden. Jim Ryan dont have the vision to buy great studios, and dont tell me that he brought Bungie because LOL.

Imagine PlayStation and Sony w/o Jim Ryan

Tretton&Layden
Xbox 72M
PS 61M

Sony rode Jim Ryan coattails for two generations (three, now)

Excluding US

PS3 61M
Wii 59M
360 41M

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm still shocked Mark Cerny is one of their producers.

Thats one hell of a producer to have. No wonder Insomniac have been showing off with showcasing the PS5.

So Cerny is one of their producers....

Stuff now makes sense....

Pretty much, lol.

Last edited:
I don’t understand how people keep comparing them to Santa Monica and Naughty Dog. What have those studios done this generation lmao, a cross gen game, a remake and a long overdue mp mode we still haven’t seen…It‘s Insomniac who keep this train running, not the other way around.

Every studio is on a different timeline.

God of War Ragnarok is probably Sony's best-selling game of the last 2 years and singlehandedly propped up the PS5 last year. They're also working on probably at least 2 different games, with one being an original IP (something that Insomniac struggles with).

Naughty Dog did a remake and TV show that probably grossed more revenue than anything Insomniac has done this generation and also brought Sony into an entirely new industry and revenue source, which is great for the down periods where console sales are in decline before the start of a new generation and the operating costs are up due to R&D for the next generation.

The three of them are definitely PlayStation Studios most important studios with Guerrilla and Polyphony Digital rounding things out at 4 and 5.

Top Bottom