• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

What do you think of the new controller?

• I like it

• I dislike it

• 50-50

Results are only viewable after voting.

iJudged

Banned
gallery_walle__0011_12_72bf2194.jpeg

Thats a nice looking controller....

I haven’t read the article but....I’m gonna assume it’s still a non-replaceable battery pack which is a no-go for me

Stevonidas

It looks like a cheap, 3rd-party knockoff.

I like it on paper, and props to Sony for trying to do something new instead of tweaking the DS4, but man, that is one fuck-ugly controller.

I do have to say that in terms of looks alone I prefer this over the base xbox controller. It is really, REALLY sexy looking to me. I'm sorry, but it isn't even a contest for me. Good job Sony.

However, there is just no way I'd choose it functionally over an xbox controller since I hate the stick placement. Also, if it ain't got paddles it's just a no go for any controller. I don't care how good you look.

The only thing I can say other than the sticks that I'm wondering about are the spacing of the buttons on the right side. It looks pretty wide. And then how it feels for those who wear their wedding rings. It almost looks like the white areas are shells? I can see where my rings rubs against my xbox controller. It looks like it's right at the spot where the shell ends where it wraps around the handle. So hoping rings don't catch on it.

Last edited:
I do have to say that in terms of looks alone I prefer this over the base xbox controller. It is really, REALLY sexy looking to me. I'm sorry, but it isn't even a contest for me. Good job Sony.

However, there is just no way I'd choose it functionally over an xbox controller since I hate the stick placement. Also, if it ain't got paddles it's just a no go for any controller. I don't care how good you look.

The only think I can say other than the sticks that I'm wondering about are the spacing of the buttons on the right side. It looks pretty wide. And then how it feels for those who wear their wedding rings. It almost looks like the white areas are shells? I can see where my rings rubs against my xbox controller. It looks like it's right at the spot where the shell ends where it wraps around the handle. So hoping rings don't catch on it.
Stick placement is key. Love this new design GG Sony but you’ve gotta beat the form factor of the xbox controller to steal me away.

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
this shit is ugly.

I'm retaining judgement until i hold it though.

They just better not have ruined the Dpad, that's the one thing untouched about the Dualshock since PS2.

DZ_b_EZ

It will not be the DualShock when you have to look for it on Amazon under DualSense. People adapt very fast, everyone will call it the right name in no time.

Same when the PS3 came out with the Sixaxis. People were calling it the right name, Sixaxis. Only later the DualShock 3 came with rumble etc.

Theoretically, like in the PS3 generation, we could still see a DS5, if Sony decides to make some changes and bring back the old name. But I feel this is a long term strategic change. The whole package seems to walk away from a gamey image to a futuristic high tech device, and the name helps.

Well, it'll just be me then. For whatever reason I can't imagine not calling a Playstation controller "DualShock".

Posted this in the "other" Dualsense controller thread, seems to fit here more. My biggest gripe about the ds4. I felt like the handles were appended on afterthoughts, whereaS the XOne controllers had a smooth elegant look. To me it looks like they took some inspiration from team green, which is a good thing. I really think this means the console will be white.

DonJorginho

Banned
This is beautiful.

I've been wanting a thicker design in the vein of the Xbox Controllers for my big hands for ages and the overall look of the DS4 albeit sleek was quite dated and lacked that oomph I like from a controller.

I'm praying for a black and blue design but the features with this controller aswell as the revamped triggers and face buttons make me a very happy chap indeed.

Am I the only one thinking that the buttons are going to have lit up outlines? Like for optional off screen button prompts and stuff? It looks like there are already opaque outlines around them like I've seen on other things that do that. Like on my mouse.

Geki-D

Banned
So to be clear, the light bar is now just decoration and serves no purpose? It's odd how they word it because they say they've moved the light bar when really they've seemingly just removed it but there are other lights on the pad. I mean on PS4 it wasn't on the top of the pad for shitz'n'giggles, it was there for PS Eye detection and served a purpose in VR games.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Where do all these colors come from? Are they all fan made? I'm only asking since Sony is not known to bring out new controllers with beautiful colors, or have their customers create one themselves. So did they communicate that there will be a change in this?

Exoil

I'm really excited that the big light bar is gone, one can draw the conclusion that PSVR2 is not going to have light based tracking because of that which I really like the idea of.

I don't get why they ditched the colors for Cross, Square, Triangle and Circle, hopefully they'll revise the controller and add those back. Also the colored PS icon in some of the mock ups in this thread looks really nice.

EDIT: Also, where are the grip buttons? I was sure they would add a couple of those after the attachment to DS4

Last edited:
So to be clear, the light bar is now just decoration and serves no purpose? It's odd how they word it because they say they've moved the light bar when really they've seemingly just removed it but there are other lights on the pad. I mean on PS4 it wasn't on the top of the pad for shitz'n'giggles, it was there for PS Eye detection and served a purpose in VR games.
That was my thought as well. I always thought it was awesome when the light bar would change color based on game conditions. Problem was you couldn't see it XD. Looks to be more practical now tho. Also if you could set the color based on the color of your controller would be nice. I think they abandoned the light bar when they de-packaged the ps camera way back at launch.

Like the Xbox 360 and why I immediately got an Elite when it was offered, white peripherals are a terrible idea for a high sweat constant usage environment. Dirt and grime is going to build up and show heavily. The controller looks as expected, nothing really unusual there but the default color (likely the console itself) seems pretty tone deaf, most people want black entertainment devices and peripherals, they don't stand out, they don't catch the eye, they fade into the background.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have to admit I’m not a huge fan of the 2 tone color scheme but I’ll bet that the other colors will look better. I do wish they have called it the DualShock 5 though.

Edit: the look is growing on me

Last edited:

Yoda

It's aesthetically pleasing and different, bravo in that department. I'm still not a fan of the joystick placement, wish they'd cave and copy Xbox.

Top Bottom