• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

What do you think of the new controller?

• I like it

• I dislike it

• 50-50

Results are only viewable after voting.
The headset jack is literally right there in the very first pics of the pad. How many layers of shit to people have in their eyes to not see it?
49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

See that hole at the bottom? The headset jack hole? The same hole as the DS4? You know, the headset jack? Well that's a headset jack.

Now what it seemingly doesn't have is the port that the DS4 uses for the back buttons add-on. So without a port for that, an add-on isn't very likely.
People were arguing/assuming that was the mic.

sixamp

I love the white but it's the same damn controller. I don't understand why everyone is going crazy for the same controller. Xbox made the elite co troller that literally was a game changing controller and crickets, Sony makes a white carbon copy and omg Jesus has risen

protonion

I absolutely love how it looks. I find myself just staring at the images.

The black and white contrast I hope finds it's way to the console.

Last edited:
Design will need to grow on me, but haptic feedback and adaptive triggers sounds really neat. I can’t really think of anything the controller is missing that I would want.

ethomaz

Banned
The headset jack is literally right there in the very first pics of the pad. How many layers of shit to people have in their eyes to not see it?
49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

See that hole at the bottom? The headset jack hole? The same hole as the DS4? You know, the headset jack? Well that's a headset jack.

Now what it seemingly doesn't have is the port that the DS4 uses for the back buttons add-on. So without a port for that, an add-on isn't very likely.
You need to ask them if they really want to see it :pie_thinking:

Rodolink

Have you ever pulled a trigger on a revolver and then pulled a trigger on a 1911?

What the DualSenses triggers can do is simulate the long and heavy trigger pull of a revolver and then a crisp light trigger of a 1911.
I`ve pulled a revolver and a .9mm and know the difference, Im also sure that was the idea behind the Xone triggers and the Switch HD rumble.

edit:
Things is devs didnt actually developed for that

Last edited:
I`ve pulled a revolver and a .9mm and know the difference, Im also sure that was the idea behind the Xone triggers and the Switch HD rumble

Are we talking about resistive triggers or impulse triggers?

I found this article from Windows Central.

"The documents detail an "input device" leveraging a "linear geared feedback trigger" and "motor-driven adjustable-tension trigger." In short, Microsoft is experimenting with force-feedback and adjustable-tension, hoping to elevate real-time trigger feedback. The feature could allow titles to impose variable resistance on the buttons, repelling player actions in-line with on-screen actions."

So the Xbox One controller doesn't have this tech in it but I don't know about the Series X controller. I can't find confirmation of resistive feedback anywhere.

Last edited:
not starting console war, but that has been there on the xone triggers since launch, only a couple of devs actually used it. even the switch with their HD rumble so this here is Sony again masking things already done as novel.

I love my Xbox One controller, but you're getting two of the DualSense features confused.

The DualSense has "haptic feedback", which is similar to HD Rumble in the Switch JoyCons. Basically just tons of little rumble motors that can be fine-tuned vs big motors that can only change intensity. As far as we know this just affects the controller body, and not the triggers.

The DualSense also has "adaptive triggers", which can change the amount of tension you feel when pulling the left or right trigger.

The Xbox One controller has what Microsoft calls "impulse triggers", which is basically just rumble specifically for the triggers. It does not modify the tension required to pull the triggers. Instead, it just provides feedback that attempts to simulate certain actions. IE: Braking on smooth vs rough roads Forza games.

Last edited:

Rodolink

Are we talking about resistive triggers or impulse triggers?
Man Im just talking about the concept they mentioned:

"This is why we adopted haptic feedback, which adds a variety of powerful sensations you’ll feel when you play, such as the slow grittiness of driving a car through mud. We also incorporated adaptive triggers into the L2 and R2 buttons of DualSense so you can truly feel the tension of your actions, like when drawing a bow to shoot an arrow. "

Im just saying is not a new concept. Technology might be different, and we shall see how far devs take it.

tryDEATH

Personally this controller just looks weird in the PS ecosystem, maybe I am just old fashioned, but the unique shape of PS controller was always one the biggest brand identifiers. This controller just looks much more generic and could be mistake for the countless new controllers we have had in the last couple of years from the Stadia controller, to the Switch Pro controller and even to some of the off brand controllers.

Obviously this controller looks more refined and will likely be better than those, but its losing its iconic design, which I don't think its worth doing.

Rodolink

I love my Xbox One controller, but you're getting two of the DualSense features confused.

The DualSense has "haptic feedback", which is similar to HD Rumble in the Switch JoyCons. Basically just tons of little rumble motors that can be fine-tuned vs big motors that can only change intensity. As far as we know this just affects the controller body, and not the triggers.

The DualSense also has "adaptive triggers", which can change the amount of tension you feel when pulling the left or right trigger.

The Xbox One controller has what Microsoft calls "impulse triggers", which is basically just rumble specifically for the triggers. It does not modify the tension required to pull the triggers. Instead, it just provides feedback that attempts to simulate certain actions. IE: Braking in Forza games.

Clear answer, I get it, and also that is taken from before with the Novint Falcon
https://www.wired.com/2008/09/review-novint-f/

I give SOny they adapted that to the size factor and sleek design though.

Man Im just talking about the concept they mentioned:

"This is why we adopted haptic feedback, which adds a variety of powerful sensations you’ll feel when you play, such as the slow grittiness of driving a car through mud. We also incorporated adaptive triggers into the L2 and R2 buttons of DualSense so you can truly feel the tension of your actions, like when drawing a bow to shoot an arrow. "

Im just saying is not a new concept. Technology might be different, and we shall see how far devs take it.

The Dual Sense has both rumble in the triggers and resistive triggers.

The Xbox One controllers has the rumble feature but the resistive triggers are a different story.

So essentially they both can vibrate but only the DualSense trigger can be programmed to be harder to pull.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Of course it is if you can press a button and can be turned off completely. Not sure what you agenda is comparing it to kinect when it was always on listening to you and connected to the internet.
There isn't any agenda. Pressing a button to turn it off completely, is the same as turning off the Kinect. Which wasn't always listening since you had to say the magic words "Hey Cortana". Or you think the built-in mic won't support some type of assistant for the PS5? Then what's the point of the mic...

DESTROYA

There isn't any agenda. Pressing a button to turn it off completely, is the same as turning off the Kinect. Which wasn't always listening since you had to say the magic words "Hey Cortana". Or you think the built-in mic won't support some type of assistant for the PS5? Then what's the point of the mic...
Sure sounds like it, looking into it further shows you can shut off this feature.

of course, its part of the marketing plan.
btw that one looks 100000000 better than the white one.

The black touchpad with bluelight surrounding it reminds me of sitting in a darkend room with a tv that has a blue led lighting behind the tv

a1e7373b720da4406a84cb3953dd0aa4.jpg

Looks nice with the OG logo coloration.

I feel that sony forgets, doesnt know or underestimates how important that og logo is to the fans. Its right there next to the the ps1 start up audio.

If the ps5 made that tune when its turned on, id be so wet that id astroglide off my chair everytime.

Rodolink

The black touchpad with bluelight surrounding it reminds me of sitting in a darkend room with a tv that has a blue led lighting behind the tv

a1e7373b720da4406a84cb3953dd0aa4.jpg

I feel that sony forgets, doesnt know or underestimates how important that og logo is to the fans. Its right there next to the the ps1 start up audio.

If the ps5 made that tune when its turned on, id be so wet that id astroglide off my chair everytime.
i would also flip with an original PSX color scheme 😍

Longcat

Quickly responded to the first sentence of your post, then I re-read it......Ding Ding Ding......That was a survey since 2018 and as you said if you use a third party controller in Xinput mode it registers as a 360 controller......360 was the dominant controller in the 360/PS3 days, no one is denying that, but how many people still have a 360 controller hooked up to their PC's, very few I'll say.....Since steam made adding a DS4 like second nature on the platform, everybody's been using DS4's, since more people have PS4 and even in that old survey DS4 already had more registrants over XBONE, farless for now.....
This is definitely part of it. I just did my steam hardware survey and my DS4 shows up as a 360 controller because I use input mapper. Not sure how it reports if you use steams native DS4 support but if you use third party controller emulation software more than likely its emulating 360 controller.
I was literally just about to reply to thelastword about this as you quoted me - about all the people who use DS4windows and similar emulation tools to use the DS4 on other platforms as well, instead of using Steam's built in DS4 option. Good point, and I'm curious about how much that would affect the stats. There might very well be even more DS3/4 controllers in disguise in there.

But I still think the vast majority of users actually still have Xbox controllers. Not trying to shit on Playstation controllers. I have a DS4 myself and they are certainly more versatile. It's just anecdotal, but over the years whenever I've seen people ask for controller recommendations on computer forums I visit, most of the time people say Xbox, because it just works, especially when wired. Just plug that shit in and go. No need to fiddle with third party software to use with other platforms, you get correct button prompts, etc. Back in the day it was obviously the 360 one because it was the number one choice for a looong time. Yes, those stats were from 2018, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them are still in use today.

Grinchy

Banned
What does the back button do on the Elite controller?
The back buttons can replace buttons from the front of the controller. So like on the PS4 attachment, you can set one of the back buttons to be square.

So now, in a game like COD, you don't have to take your thumb off the right analog stick to hit square to slide on the ground. This gives you a nice advantage of being able to continue moving the camera and aiming while sliding, since your thumb never leaves the stick.

And with the attachment Sony made, you can program the two buttons to be anything - face buttons, dpad, ect. So you can really customize it for every game.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Sure sounds like it, looking into it further shows you can shut off this feature.
Well if it will support an assistant it's also always listening, and to work it needs to be always connected to the internet.

Top Bottom