• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IOC gives provisional status to cheerleading and Muay Thai, announces Olympic channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Cheerleading-Muay-Thai-given-provisional-Olympic-10798913.php

Finally putting to rest the juvenile debate of whether or not cheerleading is a sport, the International Olympic Committee has ruled in favor of the activity by giving cheerleading provisional Olympic status. Muay Thai, a form of kickboxing, was also given provisional standing.

However, that doesn't mean cheerleading or Muay Thai will necessarily be included in the 2020 Olympic games in Tokyo. Rather, the International Cheer Union, as well as the Federation of Muay Thai, will each be given $25,000 in funding by the IOC, provided access to developmental programs and official Olympic Channel content, and most importantly, granted the opportunity to apply to participate in the games in the future.

The latter is the most important; the bestowing of the provisional status last week begins a three year provision period for the two sports. At any point during the next three years, as the New York Times reports, the IOC executives can vote to fully recognize cheerleading and Muay Thai for the Games, as they did with five other sports earlier this year, including karate, baseball/softball, and skateboarding.

The move is another effort to help the Olympic Games appeal to a younger demographic.

In addition to the new provisional sports, the IOC is announcing the 2017 launch of a year-round Olympics channel created in tandem with NBC and the U.S. Olympic Committee. The new channel will focus on the personal stories and biographies of Olympic-caliber athletes worldwide, and will air live and archival footage of the sports represented in the winter and summer Olympics and the Paralympics. It will reportedly launch in the latter half of 2017.

Fox318

Sports that are judged on artistic merits always strike me as odd fit for the Olympics.

Who is to define what degree of difficulty is for each move?

At least in something like Boxing there are rounds and the only question that needs to be answered is "Which fighter won that round?".

Fox318

I hope they don't give it some limiting and restrictive Olympics rule set though

Muay Thai they are going to have to.

I can't see them doing it without headgear and with things like elbows and Knees to the head banned.

But who knows.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I could see olympic cheerleading being very intense with like 5 layer pyramids or some crazy ass shit.

Also I hope it's gender agnostic.

Fox318

Is there a "sport" version of Muay Thai where people don't get demolished?

There is amateur Muay Thai.

2jYZICT.jpg

I think these are banned

spinning elbows
cartwheel kicks
superman punches
jumping elbow strikes

Palmer_v1

Competetive cheerleading is basically just a team-based gymnastics floor routine.

I wonder if there'd be any cross-over with gymnasts, or if pre-existing teams would just compete for the spot.

Good ideas but both sports have very hire rates of attrition. Knowing the IOC, they will make significant changes to the rules to make both sports safer, but then I dont see the point of having watered-down competitions that are easily surpassed by existing events. It's good that these sports will get more eyeballs, but will make for events that are less entertaining than they could be.

Lkr

Is competitive cheerleading a thing in other countries? For some reason I always imagine it as an American thing

Matty77

I'm okay with this. The olympics could use some fresh sport and I have long argued cheerleaders are great athletes and as said previously in the thread has a lot in common with gymnastics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom