• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

KingKong

The places thing for Maps is great but man, the satellite quality is lacking. I would think Minneapolis is big enough of a place to get decent maps

Dany

Banned
Just noticed that, really really dumb.

Yeah it is, I got embark app, they have it for a lot of hte major cities but it is a really bad replacement. You can get routing maps as 'app's inside the new maps so hopeully the transit company updates it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Seems like auto brightness works in the lock screen and not main screen.

Tried restarting. This is bull.
Keep in mind the auto-change is more subtle on iOS 6 than it was on 5 (where it was pretty much instantaneous when it needed to switch).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
we can blame that on scott forstall aka crazy eyes aka Pro Skeuo aka he's the reason passbook has a fucking shredder animation.
It's not even the vile Skeuomorphism. The UIs for Clock and Phone have not been updated in the same way, say, iTunes has: the buttons at the bottom are a different style.

Like I said a couple of pages ago, Apple shouldn't really boast in one breath that their attention to detail is such that they now measure phone tolerance in micrometers, but leave such a glaring inattention to detail as having different UIs revisions in different apps.

Enco

Keep in mind the auto-change is more subtle on iOS 6 than it as on 5 (where it was pretty much instantaneous when it needed to switch).
Oh snap I managed to manipulate it to see if it's fine.

I turned the lights on and put the brightness to 0. I switched on auto and it slowly went up a little.

At least it functions.

This is not an ios 6 issue

Here is the fix

**** HERE IS THE FIX!!! ****

After I upgraded my iPhone4S to IOS 6 I noticed when I wanted to use my home Wifi it kept going to an apple log-in screen every time.

Turns out that the Safari cookie for the Apple website may be corrupted after the IOS 6 update. It uses this Apple website test to see if you are able to successfully reach the internet and if not, then it assumes you are on some public Wifi EULA approval page - Unfortunately this feature broke on some devices after IOS 6.

Here's how to fix it. Go to:

/Settings/Safari/Advanced/Website_Data/

Scroll down until you find apple.com or www.apple.com and swipe left until the red "Delete" button shows up.

Press Delete and then you can exit out of that and your Wifi should now work. Report back after you have fixed your device!

Cheers!
Michael L.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I have no idea how passbook works. I consider myself moderately tech savvy. I can seeing it being completely unused by the average joe because it's not even remotely obvious what you're supposed to do with it.

Mr. F

Banned
Any word on battery performance? I'm on an iPhone 4 and I feel like I'm getting very slightly better than usual battery life.

FStop7

Banned
How do I download music from iTunes match? I know I can't do individual songs now but I can't find the option to download by album, either.

edit - OK, now I see the icon in the album view but it's weird that some of the albums don't give me the download option.

This sucks compared to iOS 5.

cbox

I have no idea how passbook works. I consider myself moderately tech savvy. I can seeing it being completely unused by the average joe because it's not even remotely obvious what you're supposed to do with it.

me neither, I downloaded the cineplex app and all it does is bring me to the app store.

What gives? Is it cause I'm in Canada or some shit?

neoemonk

I like the Podcasts app. I used to manually build a playlist that puts the podcasts in order by release date. I had a smart playlist that would sort them for me on iTunes on my Mac but when I synced it wouldn't carry the sort order over.

The Podcasts app just does it for me automatically. Big win for me.

Clock app is awesome on the iPad, in part because it contains weather.

...am I blind? Where? It has a tiny little current weather icon on the world tab, but I don't live in my nearest city (London). Besides, no one needs to know the current weather, people need a forecast.

I just ask Siri, but it's pretty tedious.

saelz8

The new App Store is bad, particularly the search results. You can't Wheel of Fortune it anylonger, causing the entire process to be artificially tedious. Theres a pause at each centered result to give time for the next results graphics to load. This is the first instance I can think of on the iPhone where scrolling is forcibly stalled, by design.

Edit. It's not for the graphics to load, as they force the delay even when you scroll back the other way, through results that have already loaded.

The Chef

Been messing around with the new maps quite a bit today after the install.
You guys are out of your god damn minds if you think Google maps was better than this. Seriously.

Been messing around with the new maps quite a bit today after the instal.
You guys are out of your god damn minds if you think Google maps was better than this. Seriously.

Transit directions included means it was better. But the current maps app along with a transit app isn't as horrible as some people are making it out to be.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
...am I blind? Where? It has a tiny little current weather icon on the world tab, but I don't live in my nearest city (London). Besides, no one needs to know the current weather, people need a forecast.

I just ask Siri, but it's pretty tedious.
You can change the clocks using the edit button in the top left.
Been messing around with the new maps quite a bit today after the install.
In what way? The actual cartographic data in Google maps was light years ahead. New Maps makes no differentiation between under and overground train stations in London, for instance, and some stations are missing. That's kind of unacceptably bad.

Also the kind of information that I might want to see at different zoom levels is way off.

The Chef

Transit directions included means it was better. But the current maps app along with a transit app isn't as horrible as some people are making it out to be.

In what way? The actual cartographic data in Google maps was light years ahead. New Maps makes no differentiation between under and overground train stations in London, for instance, and some stations are missing. That's kind of unacceptably bad.

Granted, transit stuff isn't something I ever use living in Nevada so I have NO clue how that was affected.
Bud my goodness the 3D vector maps, the turn by turn, the Yelp reviews on businesses, the business photo and info when you click it. INFINITELY better than Google Maps.

Croc

Banned
The new app store design seems really stupid to me, like it was just trying to copy a netflix like layout just for the hell of it. I'm specifically talking about how the "Paid," "Free," and "Top Grossing," categories are now shown. It shows 2 categories at a time on the screen while always having one of them off screen. The layout would be useful if there were a bunch of categories but only having 3 and having just 1 of them off screen at all times makes it more annoying than useful IMO.

DarkFlow

Banned
They already released Chrome and YouTube, and Baidu and other already have the maps app.
Besides, Google Earth is on the App Store. Basically another Google mapping service.
That's all well and good, they don't really have a choice when it comes to YouTube. Chrome is just reskined Safari and Google earth is not really a map service, it's a toy. Google maps on the other hand is one of androids key selling points, I don't think Google or there partners want to just hand that to apple. Plus apple has there own map app service now, and they don't really like to share stuff they hype up in there os releases.

numble

That's all well and good, they don't really have a choice when it comes to YouTube. Chrome is just reskined Safari and Google earth is not really a map service, it's a toy. Google maps on the other hand is one of androids key selling points, I don't think Google or there partners want to just hand that to apple. Plus apple has there own map app service now, and they don't really like to share stuff they hype up in there os releases.

Apple has let Baidu Maps on its platform, which has competed with Apple's own built-in Maps both before and after iOS 6. This is in Apple's second largest market:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bai-du-de-tu/id452186370?mt=8

buhdeh

Lol Jesus the maps for Vancouver are terrible. No 3D view, satellite view is complete garbage, tons of restaurants I frequent are missing. Will not be using this for a looooong time.

kr2t0s

Traffic in LA data still sucks.

With google maps the green meant the streets were good. I guess apples equivalent is just no information being displayed? Makes me feel like they have no data for that street.

saelz8

This is probably the worst iOS update since initial launch. I can't think of any other update having quality regression (Maps). Yelp is a welcome inclusion, but other than that it's a huge step back.

They couldn't develop and hone the service in tandem?

jb1234

I note that I'm missing both "renew lease" and "forget network" when I select my network. Does everyone else have those options? That might be part of my problem.

Top Bottom