• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
You really want to have the cashier scan your iPad at the grocery store?

only if they respect my gangsta

Seriously tho.

Google stuck Google Wallet on the N7. If you're in an airport and you have your iPad out wasting time until your flight, it would be nice to have.

ramyeon

Anyone else having trouble restoring to update from the beta to final version of iOS6? Will I need to download the ipsw and manually restore?

Downhome

I'm sure this has been said, but it can't be mentioned enough.

I don't even have the words to express how pissed off and frustrated over them removing podcasts from the music app and forcing you to use the podcast app for them. Again, I'm sure it has all been said so I wont go into detail, but wow. What a stupid, stupid move. They better make that right in an update and soon.

SuperPac

I'm sure this has been said, but it can't be mentioned enough.

I don't even have the words to express how pissed off and frustrated over them removing podcasts from the music app and forcing you to use the podcast app for them. Again, I'm sure it has all been said so I wont go into detail, but wow. What a stupid, stupid move. They better make that right in an update and soon.

Use Downcast or Instacast instead. I highly recommend Downcast for all your podcasting needs. Much better than either podcasts in the Music app was or Apple's own Podcast app.

jb1234

Cancelling the restore download because I just found someone online with the exact same problem (and the exact same router) as I. And there's another person with a router from the same company (Netgear) who also has the issue. Hopefully, Apple fixes this, as Wi-Fi works perfectly on the router with previous iOS versions.

I got my first passbook thing! If you sign up for mobile coupons in the Target app it now lets you send the coupon to passbook. I can get a free peanut butter Snickers, or something!

On my gf's phone though when she tries to visit the app store from passbook to see the list of passbook-supporting apps it tells her she can't connect to the app store then just sends her to the app store front page. Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah, my iPad 3 wifi is fucked. Tried everything, works for about 5 minutes each time and then goes into endless loading. All these sites saying "update: the issue has been resolved" jumped the gun. Wish I hadn't updated.

I got my first passbook thing! If you sign up for mobile coupons in the Target app it now lets you send the coupon to passbook. I can get a free peanut butter Snickers, or something!

On my gf's phone though when she tries to visit the app store from passbook to see the list of passbook-supporting apps it tells her she can't connect to the app store then just sends her to the app store front page. Anyone else have this problem?

There is a work around for phones like hers: Change the date/time manually to 2013. load passbook, attempt to access the store. you'll get an "invalid date" message. Go back and correct the date and everything will work as normal from then out.

JayDub

Why is the Passbook app so much brighter than everything else?

Speaking of Passbook; its a lot more complicated than I thought. I thought all you had to do was enter the codes or something. But you have to download the app for the companies? Anyone care to walk me through this? I cant figure it out.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Do you have to register for Target coupons? I saw something to sign up but it seemed like it was gonna send me text messages

Croc

Banned
Do you have to register for Target coupons? I saw something to sign up but it seemed like it was gonna send me text messages

Yeah I just signed up for Target coupons and it said click the link in the email to complete registration, but then it logged me out so I had to sign in again. Only then did I realize it never had me make a password so I had nothing to sign into...

numble

Speaking of Passbook; its a lot more complicated than I thought. I thought all you had to do was enter the codes or something. But you have to download the app for the companies? Anyone care to walk me through this? I cant figure it out.

Its supposed to work where:

An app sends a pass to your passbook.
You get an email that lets you add a pass (like a GroupOn or something).
You click a link in Safari and you get a pass.

NYR

Its supposed to work where:

An app sends a pass to your passbook.
You get an email that lets you add a pass (like a GroupOn or something).
You click a link in Safari and you get a pass.
Sound very manual. Was hoping for more automation in the process.

Sound very manual. Was hoping for more automation in the process.
How much more automated do you want it to be than one click from an email, app or browser? Do you want passes and coupons to just automatically show up in passbook without user authorization? That sounds like a nightmare.

Ditto. Thought I would just enter my loyalty card numbers and be done.

oipic

Apologies if this has been done to death already, but has there been any indication (however unofficially) of how long it might be until Google releases a Maps app?

I'm a little reluctant to upgrade for now, in any case, and might wait it out as an extensive maps user, but consider me a little concerned by the fact that it will seemingly take 'months' for them to ready an iPad YouTube app - I would've thought that was a relatively simple undertaking compared to knocking together a maps thing from scratch.

Download the IPSW, connect your iPhone to iTunes, shift+click restore and select the IPSW of iOS 5.

That doesn't work does it? It needs to validate through Apple's servers and it won't because it's no longer valid. Only way to downgrade is if you had been jailbroken and saved your blobs.

Quick

Banned
That doesn't work does it? It needs to validate through Apple's servers and it won't because it's no longer valid. Only way to downgrade is if you had been jailbroken and saved your blobs.

I was able to do it earlier, merely assuming it would work later on.

I'd assume it would remain valid because there are iPhones and iPods that can't get any further than 5.1.1. They'd have to keep it available for the purpose of them having to reset and re-download the IPSW.

I was able to do it earlier, merely assuming it would work later on.

I'm pretty sure it'll work now but sooner or later Apple will stop authorizing iOS 5 installs. If you were jailbroken during iOS 5 and you saved your blobs with Cydia or TinyUmbrella then you should be able to downgrade whenever you want.

Quick

Banned
I'm pretty sure it'll work now but sooner or later Apple will stop authorizing iOS 5 installs. If you were jailbroken during iOS 5 and you saved your blobs with Cydia or TinyUmbrella then you should be able to downgrade whenever you want.

At some point, yeah. There's the small window open right now for people to downgrade, probably.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, take away the 3D bridge and it's still got a road right into the water. But yeah, Apple's map needs a nice 3D model there. It's never really going to look 100% accurate sadly. There will always be flattened images of 3D objects as well as the 3D version of the same object. Such is the drawback to technology.

Anyways, looks like Photo Stream is back up. Good.

Soo glad we can update our apps without leaving the app or inputting a password now.

Moussi

anyone else having issues with the update? my phone is in recovery mode, boot into itunes to restore it, gives me it's ineligible... my itunes is all up to date!

WHAT THE FDUCJCUCUCUCUCUCUCUUCUCUC

Use Downcast or Instacast instead. I highly recommend Downcast for all your podcasting needs. Much better than either podcasts in the Music app was or Apple's own Podcast app.

I think Downcast is the best app in the entire app store. It's my #1 most used app on my phone. I wish Apple would copy Downcast's fast forward and rewind gestures for the Music app.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I have the Target app, but mobile coupons won't work. Every time I try to sign up, it hangs on "Validating pin" and eventually tells me an error occurred.

Ditto. Thought I would just enter my loyalty card numbers and be done.
Just an FYI, the latest RedLaser update has this feature.

Wow, I keep discovering more cool shit and thoughtful touches in iOS6. Love how they've tried to tone down the times where you get thrown out of an app. ie in iOS5 if you selected photos to email, you get thrown into the mail app. Now, the compose window pops up over the photos app, you send, and you're still where you were. Another instance is opening appstore links from your email. Instead of throwing you into the appstore, brings up a window within the app, you can just tap download and you're still in mail. Just reduces friction all around.

Wow, I keep discovering more cool shit and thoughtful touches in iOS6. Love how they've tried to tone down the times where you get thrown out of an app. ie in iOS5 if you selected photos to email, you get thrown into the mail app. Now, the compose window pops up over the photos app, you send, and you're still where you were. Another instance is opening appstore links from your email. Instead of throwing you into the appstore, brings up a window within the app, you can just tap download and you're still in mail. Just reduces friction all around.
Yeah I love that stuff.

Top Bottom