• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

FerranMG

They are effective at generating installs, otherwise publishers wouldn't be paying for them. Whether or not they are getting the type of install they want is up for debate though.

The more effective the ad model, the higher the price you can command, so banners are at the bottom end (being window dressing most people shut out) and incentivized video at the high end (being a rich media ad that the player opted into watching).

In general, only 1-2% of banner ads are clicked on, and 3-7% of interstitial ads are clicked on. From there, once somebody is on the product page, install rates are around 3-7% (being more based around how the game is positioned and pitched on the Store).

Thanks for the insight!

Kickstarted hack-and-slash Combo Queen is releasing today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymcLTt5lccs
Combo Queen is a fast-paced, hack and slash, action RPG for the mobile device. Your main objective is to plow through thousands of monsters by performing crazy combos with our lovely character Queen, the cute, psychotic killer. Combos and parries are all performed by precise, timed hits: one finger taps for attacks and two finger taps for parries. You'll be able to level up, purchase combo sets and upgrade Queen with new equipment
6FTd4uO.jpg

Ourobolus

Banned
Words on Tour is pretty cool but the IAP/cool down stuff is annoying. Any recommendations for some good, similar word puzzle style games?

Not sure if the gameplay is similar, but here are some recommendations for good word games

- Word Mage
- LEX
- Lumicon
- QatQi
- SpellTower

WordBrain is another good one. It gets pretty damn difficult down the road, especially once you hit the 5x5 grid, but it's pretty good.

pdk27

Wow, an update with new levels for the original Kingdom Rush. O_O

Kind of wish they'd done new levels for the new one instead, but I'm not complaining!

I'm pretty sure these are the levels that they put into the PC version. I agree that I can't wait for new levels for the third game but there is still a level of difficulty of the original game that the sequels never matched.

Rocket Cars is really fun, try it out.

Framed is genius as well.

Having an iPhone and iPad, I am amazed that almost none of the games I play synchronize their saves via iCloud. Do I need to turn on a specific setting to get this to work, or does it just depend on each App?

awp69

Having an iPhone and iPad, I am amazed that almost none of the games I play synchronize their saves via iCloud. Do I need to turn on a specific setting to get this to work, or does it just depend on each App?

For iCloud it depends on the app. Unfortunately, I'd say that even in new games, the vast majority don't support it. Usually, it'll be in the app's description or in the game you may see a setting for iCloud saves. Another way to tell is to act as if you are deleting an app, press the X and if the confirmation to delete specifically says your data will be saved on iCloud, then it supports it. if it doesn't, then you're out of luck. Of course, make sure you don't accidentally delete the app while checking!

I may have to try Rocket Cars out again. Tried it when it came out and was immediately put off by the controls (single finger sliding). I see they have added a second control option.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

For iCloud it depends on the app. Unfortunately, I'd say that even in new games, the vast majority don't support it. Usually, it'll be in the app's description or in the game you may see a setting for iCloud saves. Another way to tell is to act as if you are deleting an app, press the X and if the confirmation to delete specifically says your data will be saved on iCloud, then it supports it. if it doesn't, then you're out of luck. Of course, make sure you don't accidentally delete the app while checking!

I may have to try Rocket Cars out again. Tried it when it came out and was immediately put off by the controls (single finger sliding). I see they have added a second control option.

Many games also make use of alternate cloud saving services, either through a proprietary account service (WB Play for Warner Bros. games as example), Game Center itself or Facebook's cloud storage.

Heel

After finishing, I'm left feeling that "(Kojima's GOTY) FRAMED" is more style than substance as a puzzle game. When you really break it down to the base level mechanically, it all just feels a bit thin and unengaging. I'd say the same for the story.

awp69

Many games also make use of alternate cloud saving services, either through a proprietary account service (WB Play for Warner Bros. games as example), Game Center itself or Facebook's cloud storage.

Right and those you have to make sure they say so in the description.

But it is still kind of sad that whether proprietary or not, I'd still say 75% or more don't have cloud saves at all.

Benedict

After finishing, I'm left feeling that "(Kojima's GOTY) FRAMED" is more style than substance as a puzzle game. When you really break it down to the base level mechanically, it all just feels a bit thin and unengaging. I'd say the same for the story.

Same for me. Happy to try it out, but I would have been disappointed if I'd paid for the game.

PittaGAF

Same here.
I'm all for 'more experience than real game' apps but, as brilliant as the concept is and despite being flawless in execution...when I completed it (the 'second time') I thought...so...that's it?
Even more than the puzzle thing (the only really engaging part is when you have to switch panels real time) I was a bit disappointed by the story...a bit inconsistent and left too vague imho.
If the story part had much more meat, I would have probably liked much more.

It feels like what Framed needed, more than anything, was consistency in its mechanics. As it stands, there are almost no rules that stay consistent throughout the entire game - it's more like a series of one-off ideas that never get fully developed. It would have been far more satisfying to have a small set of central mechanics and explore them fully.

Look at Ghost Trick for a game built entirely around a couple of very limiting mechanics, and yet pays off fully on the logical conclusion of those mechanics in the end.

The storytelling is also very confusing for what's intended to be "comic book" style - it feels like they cheated a lot on camera angles in order to have panels that could ambiguously fit into different contexts. The thing is, that doesn't help understanding at all.

omg_mjd

How's the mobile version of Minecraft? I already asked in the Android gaming thread but I'm guessing the two versions are alike so I'd appreciate any opinions here as well.

For context, the only version I've played is the Vita one.

How's the mobile version of Minecraft? I already asked in the Android gaming thread but I'm guessing the two versions are alike so I'd appreciate any opinions here as well.

When it first released, it was poor imitation of the PC version, lacking so many core features of the PC game to the point that the indie IOS game Survivalcraft was the better option for that kind of game on the platform. Since then, there have been tons of updates that's made Minecraft: PE almost on par with the PC version

!!!!!

!!!!!!!

THESE DEVS!!!
They do not even alert me anymore, taking my GLORIOUS for granted!!!!

IT'S FREAKING GORGOEUS...I didn't expect the map to be '3D' now...really cool.
Also....that final animation...Blackhole warp?
Yup, Interstellar style...so freaking awesome

killercow

And look, yet another PC port

And Yet It Moves is releasing this week, now simply titled "Yet It Moves"
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Yet+It+Moves/news.asp?c=63550

Here's the PC trailer

Wow, and yet it moves was one of my favorite indie games back in the days! Seems like a long long time ago now...

Edit: Space marshall chapter 2 news:
We can finally inform you that SPACE MARSHALS Chapter 2 will launch on iOS devices in MARCH 2015 and it will be FREE!!!

omg_mjd

When it first released, it was poor imitation of the PC version, lacking so many core features of the PC game to the point that the indie IOS game Survivalcraft was the better option for that kind of game on the platform. Since then, there have been tons of updates that's made Minecraft: PE almost on par with the PC version

Thank you, that sounds great! I think I'll buy it then.

raiot

Has Combo Queen a serious difficulty problem or am I supposed to have a MASSIVE difficulty spike after 10 minutes of playing where I am one shotted by every enemy?

Robotziane

Neo Member
Has Combo Queen a serious difficulty problem or am I supposed to have a MASSIVE difficulty spike after 10 minutes of playing where I am one shotted by every enemy?
Yeah, the game is far, far too difficult at present. It's a bit of a issue when even the training area causes me problems.

Ourobolus

Banned
I've actually been having a lot of fun with Hero Emblems. The grinding to purchase the emblems between each area can get annoying (I usually only have enough cash to buy 2 before moving on initially), as does the fact that clearing status effects with a match doesn't trigger an attack also...but otherwise it's pretty entertaining.

Also, a buddy of mine and I are going to take a shot at creating a game - would this be an ok place to bring it up when it's finished?

I've actually been having a lot of fun with Hero Emblems. The grinding to purchase the emblems between each area can get annoying (I usually only have enough cash to buy 2 before moving on initially), as does the fact that clearing status effects with a match doesn't trigger an attack also...but otherwise it's pretty entertaining.

Also, a buddy of mine and I are going to take a shot at creating a game - would this be an ok place to bring it up when it's finished?
Sure. I think we're all eager to check out projects made by GAFfers

I suggest checking out these threads/sites. Could be very helpful:

TIGSource forums
http://forums.tigsource.com

Indie Development thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=965454

Flunkie

Banned

Severely lacking in content compared to the Vita version. Vita edition is pretty much the definitive console experience imo.

A new lumines is coming to iOS soon made by Mizuguchi.:
http://mobcast.co.jp/news/service/2015-1/0776.html

Huge.

killercow

Severely lacking in content compared to the Vita version. Vita edition is pretty much the definitive console experience imo.

Huge.

More details on Lumines:
- Based off the older Lumines but with new levels
- Will integrate some sort of multiplayer via SVS (Social Victory Space from Mobcast, so it's probably gonna be F2P...)
- Worldwide launch
- Gameplay adapted for Mobile (hate those words sometimes...)

Mizuguchi also regained control of the Meteos franchise. I want one for iOS too!!!!!

PittaGAF

There are already some videos of the PC Omega beta.
I made the huge mistake of watching one.

I suggest you not doing the same.

1) You will spoil yourself some new things, like the new planets.
2) If you are like me you will be dying to play it.

Tonight I'll watch this once again:
http://youtu.be/Yid59_nd9-8 (Which is IMHO 'real life' Out There)
Then I'll play a new run through.

Top Bottom