• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Random Question - Are there any good mobile gaming podcasts? Ideally I would be listening to the Pocket Tactics podcast but it sadly doesn't exist outside an excellent Cruncheons cross-over. The Touch Arcade podcast is fine, but not really what I'm looking for.

Ourobolus

Banned
Random Question - Are there any good mobile gaming podcasts? Ideally I would be listening to the Pocket Tactics podcast but it sadly doesn't exist outside an excellent Cruncheons cross-over. The Touch Arcade podcast is fine, but not really what I'm looking for.

This is a really good question, and one I thought of today too. I was listening to the Player One podcast and they mentioned playing Tap Titans, and I thought OMG a mobile game I'm playing, and then they didn't discuss it at all in any way. Just a fleeting thought.

awp69

Stole this from infiniteloop in the Hero Emblems thread. I LOL'd when I came across this in the game as well. In response to why a character is being crabby. Probably a first in an iOS RPG:

16356742946_25bdec3885.jpg

JCho133

WOW, so Zeptolab's next game King of Thieves is soft launched in Canada right now, so I went ahead and dug out my CA account to give it a shot, and boy is it good!

Sure it's filled to the brim with freemium tropes, but it's like Super Meatboy had a baby with Castle Doombad and then Clash of Clans (I know, I hate clash of clans too) was its wetnurse.

Tons of fun puzzle platforming, fun Dubgeon designing, and the usual wonderful Zeptolab art and animations. I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

okno

The thing that gets me about the period joke in Hero Emblems is that it's a running a gag throughout the narrative. It's not just a one-off thing, and it's surprisingly tastefully done.

Corgi

Banned
This actually is the first time I've seen a video of hero emblem and it visually looks great. Anybody kind enough to link some good impressions for this? Type

JCho133

This actually is the first time I've seen a video of hero emblem and it visually looks great. Anybody kind enough to link some good impressions for this? Type

Check like the past 10 pages of this thread ahah, they're practically all Hero Emblems impressions with a couple random posts mixed in.

Oh, and the game is so loved, that they made an OT for it so all the people singing about how much they loved it here could flock over there and leave room for other discussion here.

It's a damn good game.

Voidance

I've tried to fight it, but Hero Emblems owns my soul. It's super addictive and a novel take on the JRPG paradigm. I just made it to the third continent and this will definitely be in my top 5 of 2015.

Sogood.gif

WOW, so Zeptolab's next game King of Thieves is soft launched in Canada right now, so I went ahead and dug out my CA account to give it a shot, and boy is it good!

Sure it's filled to the brim with freemium tropes, but it's like Super Meatboy had a baby with Castle Doombad and then Clash of Clans (I know, I hate clash of clans too) was its wetnurse.

Tons of fun puzzle platforming, fun Dubgeon designing, and the usual wonderful Zeptolab art and animations. I definitely recommend giving it a shot.
I'm not seeing it on the CA store, got a link?

awp69

Check like the past 10 pages of this thread ahah, they're practically all Hero Emblems impressions with a couple random posts mixed in.

Oh, and the game is so loved, that they made an OT for it so all the people singing about how much they loved it here could flock over there and leave room for other discussion here.

It's a damn good game.

Just remember who talked you into Hero Emblems.

..em.. You're welcome... ;)

More details on Lumines:
- Based off the older Lumines but with new levels
- Will integrate some sort of multiplayer via SVS (Social Victory Space from Mobcast, so it's probably gonna be F2P...)
- Worldwide launch
- Gameplay adapted for Mobile (hate those words sometimes...)

Mizuguchi also regained control of the Meteos franchise. I want one for iOS too!!!!!

Sweeeeeeet <3 <3

I hope Mizuguchi doesn't forget about Every Extend Extra. I wonder if Kanta Matsuhisa is still at Q...

Sweeeeeeet <3 <3

I hope Mizuguchi doesn't forget about Every Extend Extra. I wonder if Kanta Matsuhisa is still at Q...

I'm actually surprised Meteos didn't get an adaptation fitst; it would easily utilize the touch interface the best of the three. I worry a virtual joystick would do E3 no favours.

Edit: autocorrect done me wrong

FerranMG

What was the name of that game that a few months ago everyone talked about, and that it was a mix between Tiny Tower and something else?
Was it ever released in Europe?

More details on Lumines:
- Based off the older Lumines but with new levels
- Will integrate some sort of multiplayer via SVS (Social Victory Space from Mobcast, so it's probably gonna be F2P...)
- Worldwide launch
- Gameplay adapted for Mobile (hate those words sometimes...)

So glad that they're taking another shot at iOS after Lumines Touch Fusion. (Only 5 levels plus 5 DLC levels, unusable touch controls, and long since removed from the App Store.)

I will gladly take a second attempt on this platform that plays like the game we know.

Noteworthy:
Particle mace
https://itunes.apple.com/app/particle-mace/id513159044?ls=1&mt=8

PC gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422327029&x-yt-cl=84838260&v=Ju26qc9_8OM (Available on steam)

Edit: A lot of new games are coming today. I think it's gonna be insane.
Finally. I had asked the dev last week what was up with the IOS release, since it was supposed to come out on the 23rd

My wallet is trembling in fear of tonight. I'm trying to hold out for Metamorphabet next month, since I have a tight budget. I picked Windosill recently and it's brilliant and Metamorphabet looks like it'll capture that same sense of tacticle charm and whimsy

And so it begins. Damn you indie devs and your awesome little concepts!

Lamp and Vamp. It's kind of like Hoplite, but you're a vampire. The PC version got a lot of postive impressions (RPS called it a Hoplite-like, rather than a roguelike). It was the winner of the Procedural Death game jam

Sakujou

Banned
Yeah, the game is far, far too difficult at present. It's a bit of a issue when even the training area causes me problems.

and i thought iam too stupid for this game. the timing must be super perfect to dodge and to hit the enemy. never got more than 2 parries and 6hits.

totally pissed off and gave back the game.

awp69

My wallet is trembling in fear of tonight.

What else are you looking at?

As a PSA on what may be tonight's most popular release, I'd still advise waiting on Exiles. Unless the game is dramatically different from the Android version, it still needs work (pretty but very sparse world, poor AI, bugs).

I'm sure our sci-fi buff Pitta will get it. Maybe he can report on what he thinks of the iOS version.

As a PSA on what may be tonight's most popular release, I'd still advise waiting on Exiles. Unless the game is dramatically different from the Android version, it still needs work (pretty but very sparse world, poor AI, bugs).

I'm sure our sci-fi buff Pitta will get it. Maybe he can report on what he thinks of the iOS version.
Metamorphabet is releasing in Feb, so ideally I was hoping to hold off on any purchases til them

But nope, of course there has to be an IOS port of Lamp and Vamp, and Particle Mace finally releasing, and Exiles, and who knows what else.

If you're a fan of Hoplite, Lamp and Vamp is an easy recommendation. It's a Hoplite-like with a greater focus on stealth. See my last post on the previous page

PittaGAF

Eh, I'm sorry but, as much as I love scifi, I actually generally dislike 3D titles (FPS or so called action RPGs) on iOS...usually I find them terribad so I avoid them like the plague.
I must even confess that I find Crescent Moon games generally competent but always soul-less (but it's just me).
The only game from them I'm somewhat interested in is the Deer God pixel Art game.

So unless i read here the game is amazing, I won't get it...sorry.

Eh, I'm sorry but, as much as I love scifi, I actually generally dislike 3D titles (FPS or so called action RPGs) on iOS...usually I find them terribad so I avoid them like the plague.
I must even confess that I find Crescent Moon games generally competent but always soul-less (but it's just me).
The only game from them I'm somewhat interested in is the Deer God pixel Art game.

Have you played Slingshot Racing, Shadow Blade, or Mines of Mars?

awp69

No problem. So unless I hear otherwise, I'll fear that the iOS version will be on the disappoimting side as well.

Yes, Crescent Moon definately has had a lot of winners IMO. Just not this one.

killercow

Here's what's still to come today/tomorrow:

Heroes of Might and Magic (By Ubisoft)
And Yet it Moves (By Broken rules)
Radiation Island (By Atypical Games)
Playworld Superheroes (By Starship-group)
Indigo Prophecy (By Quantic Dream published by Aspyr)
Disney Infinity 2.0 (By Disney)
Soul Seeker (By Com2US)

Must resist...

I'll wait for impressions on Radiation Island. Enough shitty games trying to rip off DayZ and STALKER exist on PC that I highly doubt an IOS game like that could come close to being good. The Wild is the only one that looks like it could be decent IMO

killercow

Must resist...

I'll wait for impressions on Radiation Island. Enough shitty games trying to rip off DayZ and STALKER exist on PC that I highly doubt an IOS game like that could come close to being good. The Wild is the only one that looks like it could be decent IMO

Totally agree though Atypical Games are known for high quality (and polished) experiences. Looking forward to see how it goes with this one.

Edit: This looks cool as well!
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id935215211

awp69

Must resist...

Atypical has a pretty good track record but then again so does Crescent Moon.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being too hard on Exiles. I've been a big supporter of CM and was excited when I got the Android version. But even after a few updates, it still feels like a game that could have used another six months to flesh out the world, squash bugs, etc.

Radiation Island is a big departure for Atypical so I still will wait on impressions as well.

Nyx

Heroes of Might and Magic (By Ubisoft)
Playworld Superheroes (By Starship-group)
Disney Infinity 2.0 (By Disney)
Soul Seeker (By Com2US)

Wait, a proper HOMM game?

edit: iPad only, damnit

PittaGAF

Yes, Yes, no (I know I know...not yet).
I think those games are just published by Crescent Moon tough, not made by them, but I could be wrong.

But hey, I know they are loved...maybe it's just me.
I appreciate they were among the first into believing in the platform, even if I didn't really like the fact they started with shoehorning some genres I think are not suited to the platform (or I just dislike them...but I see I'm in the minority).
While praised by everyone, I remember really disliking their 'Oblivion' clones attempt (as a multi platforms owner....I kept asking myself why I should play that instead of the real thing, with proper controls and all the bells and whistles).

I think iOS is a great gaming platform, better than other ones in certain genres (which I happen to prefer)...and I wish devs would explore those (or uncharted territories)...expecially successful ones like Crescent Moon (whose success is really deserved).
But I digress...

Anyway, I won't buy Exiles :p

I think those games are just published by Crescent Moon tough, not made by them, but I could be wrong.

I appreciate they were among the first into believing in the platform, even if I didn't really like the fact they started with shoehorning some genres I think are not suited to the platform (or I just dislike them...but I see I'm in the minority).
While praised by everyone, I remember really disliking their 'Oblivion' clones attempt (as a multi platforms owner....I kept asking myself why I should play that instead of the real thing, with proper controls and all the bells and whistles).

I think iOS is a great gaming platform, better than other ones in certain genres (which I happen to prefer)...and I wish devs would explore those (or uncharted territories)...expecially successful ones like Crescent Moon (whose success is really deserved).
But I digress...

I can't stand (non-dual stick/top down) shooters on IOS. Touch controls just feel too unwieldy in every first or third person game I've played, except for Block Fortress. That, and the fact that the desert world looks really bland and dull, is mainly why I won't be getting Exiles

awp69

I can't stand (non-dual stick/top down) shooters on IOS. Touch controls just feel too unwieldy in every first or third person game I've played, except for Block Fortress. That, and the fact that the desert world looks really bland and dull, is mainly why I won't be getting Exiles

Surpsingly, Crescent Moon's own Neon Shadow is one of the better shooters on iOS control wise. Think Tasty Poison worked on that one though with CM just publishing.

awp69

Know this is an iOS thread, but also know there's some Android users as well so wanted to pass along that Banner Saga, 80 Days, Threes, Kingdom Rush Origins and Monument Valley are insanely all $.99 on the Amazon App Store right now.

Thinking of double dipping on Banner Saga.

PittaGAF

Just completed the updated Nihilumbra.

Awesome game and experience, with a nice strong message in the end (unusual for a game).
Great spoken narration through the game, great gameplay too, nice graphics, awesome score.
I even unlocked a super hard 'void' mode with a TON of new levels (no story tough, just gameplay).

Highly recommended....even if it's hidden in your backlog, last update is worth a try.

awp69

But I digress...

It is interesting to look back at things like Shadowlands and Aralon. I think those games were looked at through rose tinted glasses like "look what you can do on iOS", but now they were pretty bad in comparison to their console counterparts and certainly don't hold up well I today's iOS world. Sadly, Exiles has that same feel. Tries to be a massive open world RPG but fails in almost every way you need to make them succesful particularly In having enough things going on in said world.

I think something akin to Mass Effect may be achievable on iOS with how things have progressed. The best you will get right now is the port of KOTOR.

Top Bottom