• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Radiation Island seems to be a hit on Touch Arcade
Yeah, the impressions sound pretty positive. But I'm holding out for now. Auro is coming next week I think
Then Metamorphabet releases the week after. If you played Windosill, it's the same dev as that, and it looks even more charming and interesting
ComplicatedMediumCoati.gif

Wolfie5

Went to appstore to buy HOMM3, ended up buying Room 2 instead. Loved the first one, I will wait a little for impressions on HOMM3, as it is a bit expensive.

awp69

Played some of Radiation Island. Still early in but very impressed so far. Great visuals, easy controls and for people like me who aren't big into the whole finding/crafting thing, the system and ability to easily find items is quite accessible.

I like that it's open world but still gives you objectives if you ever feel off track and want a little more guidance.

JCho133

You have an typed impressions? I have it in the OP for the February thread, but no one's posted any thoughts on the game here yet

I think it's bloody fantastic. The mission system is ingenious and I'll be playing this one till I've beat all the missions and gotten all the ships for sure

JCho133

Played some of Radiation Island. Still early in but very impressed so far. Great visuals, easy controls and for people like me who aren't big into the whole finding/crafting thing, the system and ability to easily find items is quite accessible.

I like that it's open world but still gives you objectives if you ever feel off track and want a little more guidance.

*reads game description*

*reads game impressions*

*hears money machine start printing in Atypical Games' office*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Fahrenheit port is very competent. It's proper widescreen (ultra-widescreen actually), it's pretty much solid 60FPS on iphone 6 with enhanced graphics, and an instant-switch option to original graphics, and controls are about as good as you'd hope for, even though I can tell some of the later QTEs will be a nightmare on the touch screen.

Does anyone know what's the Easy difficulty about? Does it just make QTEs easier, or does it eliminate puzzles or anything meaningful from the game?

Heh, can't get over the fact that this runs at 60FPS on a freaking iphone, when a similar remasters of Halo games (where you also could flip between new/old visuals) couldn't yield a constant 60FPS on Xbox.

JCho133

Totally recommend for anyone playing Particle Mace to try and get the Cascade, it's really cool.

And good god, Andy is #1 in everything!

Happily I'm in the top 100 for everything, and rocking the #24 spot for Hard mode

JCho133

I dig Combo Queen, but it has some difficulty issues. It feels like it's ramping up according to how many runs I've done rather than how much actual progress I've actually made, be it distance or XP levels

Hoggy110

Neo Member
Hmm, who do I believe?
Toucharcade gives Fahrenheit a 4.5 out of 5
Pocket Gamer gives it a 4 out of 10

I'm surprised Pocket Gamer actually found the controls for the game good. I really can't get a good handle on them, and they just end up being really annoying

The camera in the game is just horrible. There's been many times where I'm just walking into random things when I'm trying to walk to a certain position. You can't adjust the camera whatsoever (aside from tapping the joystick to "move the camera behind your character" as the tutorial described it (and it does a poor job once you're actually in the game) and you can swipe the screen around to see what is around the current camera point you have), which just ends up being annoying. There isn't this precision in knowing where you want to go like in other 3D titles on iOS, including KOTOR (and yes, I'm well aware that the whole camera thing is because of David Cage's hard on for wanting to make a video game movie thing)

The movement doesn't have this preciseness to it like with other 3D games as well. If you want to turn around, you character has to physically run in a circle to get to the other side (and you often fail thanks to the camera and sort-of flaky joystick). I understand that the game might be trying to achieve realism with that, but it's tedious. With other 3D games, your character just turns around and carries on going. It's not like the game has tank controls at all, it's just the movement isn't that precise.

Then there is interacting with the items in the game. You have to be in the right position in order to interact, so with the low preciseness of the controls, there is so much trial and error in order to be able to even interact with them in the first place. Then there is the fact that they use freaking swipe controls to even interact.

It's not all bad though. At least the quick-time events just let you tap on the Simon board in addition to the swipe controls you could do. And anyway, I'm only like an hour in the game. I don't suppose the game could become even worse to control over that time

And yes, I'm well aware how batshit insane the game gets later on...I'm intrigued to see how this trainwreck occurs...it'd probably provide a good laugh or two

Matt Frost

I dig Combo Queen, but it has some difficulty issues. It feels like it's ramping up according to how many runs I've done rather than how much actual progress I've actually made, be it distance or XP levels

I like it too but as people says on TA is far too difficult right now. Looking forward to that patch the devs were talking about.

awp69

We'll have to agree to disagree on Hero Emblems then. I look at it as more old school difficulty. I really haven't had to grind all that much. Certainly not as much as many older JRPGs. I have loved the challenge and the fact that it has a lot more strategy involved compared to others in the genre.

Still easily in my top games of the year so far.

PittaGAF

I generally hate grinding (so I dislike almost all past JRPGs) but I must be incredibly lucky, because I had to grind very little in Hero Emblems (I'm in the last continent).
At most I repeated 2-3 times SOME boss dungeons, more for the blue chests than grinding itself.
Just once I repeated 5 times (a 3 minutes affair) the Pirate cove to get some money for a new emblem before the Tower of Deity.

If anything I would like an object to avoid the random encounters, expecially late in the game.

kottila

I think I might be inclined to agree. I was cool with it at first, but it is starting to put me off playing. I feel like my progression is constantly stunted by difficulty spikes.

Yep. Having to replay the entire level over and over again because I'm struggling with a boss is not my idea of fun. Especially when I didn't get the chests on the try where I actually managed to beat the level

More details on Prison Architect mobile
Introversion has said that it's working on iPad and Android versions of the game at the moment.

It will be kept as close to the PC version as possible, but some concessions - such a population cap in your prison - may be made for the lower power of tablets.

okno

Yep. Having to replay the entire level over and over again because I'm struggling with a boss is not my idea of fun. Especially when I didn't get the chests on the try where I actually managed to beat the level

This is exactly what has made me stopped playing the game. I am so sick of playing six rounds of annoying bad guys to then reach the boss and find out the boss resists every single one of my guy's skills, thus needing to admit defeat, swap out my skills and then do it all over again.

I'm on the third continent. I am on a level where there are these FUCKING ANNOYING red jelly bean guys who can ONLY be killed by lightning. They appear in nearly every wave, so it's pretty crucial to have as much lightning as possible, so I equip Elsa and Howard with lightning and breeze through the waves and then reach the boss.

The boss who is completely resistant to lightning attacks.

Fuck. That. I'm done.

awp69

DSS is Dual-Stick Shooter?

Yep. But a more adventure, story driven game than the likes of arcade games like Inferno 2.

Also has things like stealth mechanics so not a game where you just shoot everything in sight

Highly recommended and hope the sale isn't an indication of poor sales because this dev deserves success.

Zeth

31 hours into Hero Emblems. Think I'm close to the final boss/dungeon. I totally agree with most of the criticisms. It's just a really solid time waster style game. Much like 2048, I find myself falling asleep playing it in bed a lot, lol.

Some of the translation goofs, are incredible.

awp69

This is exactly what has made me stopped playing the game. I am so sick of playing six rounds of annoying bad guys to then reach the boss and find out the boss resists every single one of my guy's skills, thus needing to admit defeat, swap out my skills and then do it all over again.

I'm on the third continent. I am on a level where there are these FUCKING ANNOYING red jelly bean guys who can ONLY be killed by lightning. They appear in nearly every wave, so it's pretty crucial to have as much lightning as possible, so I equip Elsa and Howard with lightning and breeze through the waves and then reach the boss.

The boss who is completely resistant to lightning attacks.

Fuck. That. I'm done.

LOL.

That does suck but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

I can totally understand people who don't like the game. For me, your story is what I actually like about the game.

Unlike a lot of these match 3 RPGs, most of the time defeat does have more to do with skills and approach vs pure luck. Sure, there is some luck involved but if I die, I take a step back and plan out my strategy and go for it again.

If I hated the gameplay itself, that also may have convinced me to give up. But I love the gameplay so it just adds that extra bit of challenge.

Anyway, I can't blame anyone for seeing it the way apparently a lot of people here do. There's plenty of games that people rave about that I try and just can't wrap my head around.

Tastes are in the eye of the beholder.

Caved and picked up Yet It Moves. Really solid controls; like Limbo, the devs really translated the controls perfectly to touch. Hold the left or right side of the screen to move in that direction, tap with the other finger while moving to jump, drag to rotate the screen. Pretty much effortless. If you want a physics platformer with an inventive mechanic and great art style, definitely worth checking out

Edit: 9/10 from Pocket Gamer
---
Also great to see that the move to Community hasn't really affected the thread in the way I had expected. Even we split the threads in half for Dec and Jan, that's 22 pages and 17 pages. Not bad at all

Three levels in (four if you count the tutorial) and I can say that Yet It Moves is one of the best physics platformers on IOS. Collapsing platforms in platformers are nothing new, but add physics and gravity and momentum and suddenly it feels new and awesome again. It's one thing to have to worry about the block underneath you falling away. It's another for those blocks to become tumbling hazards to avoid when you rotate the world.

awp69

Three levels in (four if you count the tutorial) and I can say that Yet It Moves is one of the best physics platformers on IOS. Collapsing platforms in platformers are nothing new, but add physics and gravity and momentum and suddenly it feels new and awesome again. It's one thing to have to worry about the block underneath you falling away. It's another for those blocks to become tumbling hazards to avoid when you rotate the world.

I picked this up as well and completely agree with this. There's also been platformers that play with gravity, but this takes it to another level. There will be times you will die because you don't know what awaits you of you decide to just fall through a crack. Either careful small movements or trial by dying are your options.

Great game cleverly adapted for touch.

Top Bottom