• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charred Greyface said:
What's the best backup tool for the stuff iTunes doesn't save?

Hmm... ok so I can plug the iPhone into the new computer, create a backup, link the iPhone with that computer for sync (there by erasing all the information), and then restore from backup? What am I missing? Oh yeah, what if I update the phone first (from 2.0 to 2.1)?

Like what? I'm not aware of things that iTunes doesn't safe. Can you elaborate?

Blackhead

Redarse
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Like what? I'm not aware of things that iTunes doesn't safe. Can you elaborate?
Well iTunes doesn't back up you music and videos (obviously) but also your contacts, voicemails, third party data, calendar and pictures I think. Basically if you can sync it with a program on the computer (excluding voicemail) it doesn't get saved. And forget about the data from your jailbroken section.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Is there any sign of ATnT or Apple going to allow tethering with the iPhone?

It's really driving me mad and would be the only reason I'd jailbreak my phone. I really don't want to, but not being able to tether is really annoying.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Charred Greyface said:
Well iTunes doesn't back up you music and videos (obviously) but also your contacts, voicemails, third party data, calendar and pictures I think. Basically if you can sync it with a program on the computer (excluding voicemail) it doesn't get saved. And forget about the data from your jailbroken section.
Ummmm.

It backs up all of that except for the music and videos (obviously).

brapscallion said:
Is Super Monkey Ball really worth £6?
I bought it and nope.

Any advice on retaining good battery life? I bought my iPhone back in February (8GB on Edge) and I've been pretty happy with the battery life up until the last couple of weeks. Now it's draining quickly and I'm not sure what to do about it. For the most part, I've been running it most of the way down before a full recharge.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Cornballer said:
Any advice on retaining good battery life? I bought my iPhone back in February (8GB on Edge) and I've been pretty happy with the battery life up until the last couple of weeks. Now it's draining quickly and I'm not sure what to do about it. For the most part, I've been running it most of the way down before a full recharge
Not supposed to do that.
These aren't those types of batteries where this was a good idea.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Cornballer said:
So I should just recharge every night?
As much as possible.
I charge every night, and leave it plugged in at work.

Especially since I stream radio from it.

I don't know if this will fix your current battery problems though.

Blackhead

Redarse
dallow_bg said:
Ummmm.

It backs up all of that except for the music and videos (obviously).

I looked it up again (and we're both off base):
Syncing vs Backups

You can use iTunes to sync content on your computer (such as music, podcasts, videos, ringtones1, photos, email account settings, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks) with your iPhone or iPod touch2. Syncing makes sure this content is the same on your iPhone or iPod touch and computer. iTunes will also create a backup of settings and certain other information on your iPhone or iPod touch when you sync to use in case you want to restore the software on your iPhone or iPod touch or transfer this information to a different device. Backup information includes information such as mail settings, text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, certain network settings, and other preferences. Applications purchased from the App Store are included in the backup, however they can only be successfully restored to the same device that they were backed up from.

Would still need a proper backup tool for jailbroken phones anyway.

dallow_bg said:
As much as possible.
I charge every night, and leave it plugged in at work.

Especially since I stream radio from it.

I don't know if this will fix your current battery problems though.

WHS

@dallow_bg what radio app are you using? And do you find that despite being plugged in, the battery still runs down while using that app?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Cornballer said:
Any advice on retaining good battery life? I bought my iPhone back in February (8GB on Edge) and I've been pretty happy with the battery life up until the last couple of weeks. Now it's draining quickly and I'm not sure what to do about it. For the most part, I've been running it most of the way down before a full recharge.

Airplane mode when you get little to no reception. Mid-range screen brightness.. Goes a long way.

Also, according to Apple (and this was referenced a few pages back)... Lithium ion batteries should be run all the way down at least once a week.

digital

Banned
I'm looking at buying an iPhone 3G 8GB tomorrow, but I'm curious at how much the upfront cost will be at the register. I know that it's $199 plus tax for the phone, but I'm not sure how much it will be for the activation and etc. fees that will be tacked on. I live in L.A. county if that helps. Any help is appreciated!

Cornballer said:

I was in the same boat where my phone went from being solid without needing to charge for 2-3 days, to where it was barely making it through they day. I couldn't figure out what was happening, until I disabled one my e-mail addresses that gets A LOT of mail, much of it junk. Once I did that, my battery life improved again.

Now I occasionally will have it drain after using an app. It's almost as if the app doesn't quite quit and is still taking juice.

Grifter

digital said:
I'm looking at buying an iPhone 3G 8GB tomorrow, but I'm curious at how much the upfront cost will be at the register. I know that it's $199 plus tax for the phone, but I'm not sure how much it will be for the activation and etc. fees that will be tacked on. I live in L.A. county if that helps. Any help is appreciated!

Upfront for me was phone + tax + $36 activation.

It's my first day with an iPhone and I've been digging through these iPhone threads for tips and app suggestions since the OP is way out of date, but would some kind souls please suggest some must-dos and downloads?

Pastry

Banned
Are iphones still hard to find back in the states? I'm studying abroad in Spain for this semester and when I return (get back Dec. 21st) I'm due for a new phone with ATT. I'm wondering if I should get family to buy it for me before then or take the risk of not being able to get one due to christmas. It's a little early to be thinking about this but the ungodly shitty phone I'm using here has me thinking of an iphone every day.

Blackhead

Redarse
Pastry said:
Are iphones still hard to find back in the states? I'm studying abroad in Spain for this semester and when I return (get back Dec. 21st) I'm due for a new phone with ATT. I'm wondering if I should get family to buy it for me before then or take the risk of not being able to get one due to christmas. It's a little early to be thinking about this but the ungodly shitty phone I'm using here has me thinking of an iphone every day.
Well they are easy to get right now but I can't say for christmas.

C'mon people. Isn't there a way I can get the contacts from an iphone on a new computer?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Charred Greyface said:
Well they are easy to get right now but I can't say for christmas.

C'mon people. Isn't there a way I can get the contacts from an iphone on a new computer?

Can't you just sync with Outlook or something in iTunes? That would move all your contacts from your phone to whatever sync-ing option you are using.

Blackhead

Redarse
dskillzhtown said:
Can't you just sync with Outlook or something in iTunes? That would move all your contacts from your phone to whatever sync-ing option you are using.
Yeah but it's set up to a different computer. I can't sync with the new one without starting from scratch. (I think)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Charred Greyface said:
Yeah but it's set up to a different computer. I can't sync with the new one without starting from scratch. (I think)

Ohhh, true. Good point. Didn't think about that. Might want to go up to your local Apple store or call one. They are surprisingly helpful with questions like that. Atleast the one near me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
No, it won't wipe out your iPhone if you try to sync with a new computer, only your music and videos are wiped.

Everything else remains.

Blackhead

Redarse
dallow_bg said:
No, it won't wipe out your iPhone if you try to sync with a new computer, only your music and videos are wiped.

Everything else remains.
OK, but i don't have the same contact list on the computer as I have on the phone. Is there a way to merge the data sets or copy the contacts from the phone to the computer. I don't want to try and find it only one way is possible and lose some contacts...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Charred Greyface said:
OK, but i don't have the same contact list on the computer as I have on the phone. Is there a way to merge the data sets or copy the contacts from the phone to the computer. I don't want to try and find it only one way is possible and lose some contacts...

it'll add the contacts to outlook, then add what's in outlook to your iphone

i tried once, by using first names only on iphone, and first and last names in outlook

after i synched i had duplicates of everyone in outlook and on the iphone :lol

Has anyone had any problem with dust getting under the screen?

I've had a 16 Gig white since july and had a screen protector on since day 1. Last week I bought a new case (the thin slider one from incase which is awesome by the way) and because I had the screen protector slightly off the case pinched one corner and caused an annoying bubble on the protector. I bought a new screen protector and took the old one off. After cleaning the screen I noticed that I have about 10 tiny white specs/pieces of dust under the actual iPod screen. I had thought nothing of them before and had assumed they were just between my screen protector and actual iPod screen.

How the shit did they get under there? And is there anything I can do to get them out?

border

Okay, so I finnnnnnnaaaalllllllyyyyy pulled the trigger on getting a 2G iPhone 8GB from eBay. I got it for $225 (after Microsoft Cashback) -- includes car charger, wall charger, cradle, box, manual etc. Not a bad deal at all IMO

So what software do I need to unlock it? Should I update the firmware before or after unlocking?

Is it difficult to install a sim card? It was a no-brainer with my last phone, but I can't exactly tell where you open up the iPhone to insert your sim.

Bebpo

Banned
My iphone was working perfect for the last couple of weeks. It's a replacement iphone for my last one that died when freezing during a game of Star Trigon.

On this new phone I haven't played any games or ran any apps outside what comes with the phone. Everything was working fine. Then tonight I take it out of my pocket and hit the wake up button and it has the silver apple logo on....ok. Then it loads up and everything seems fine if kinda slow and unresponsive.

So I hook it to the charger and it's charging like normal but then a few minutes later it shows the apple sign, makes a couple of buzzes and then after a few mins is back on the charging screen.

So I take it and it's suuuuuper slow and laggy and so I do a manual power down. When I start it back up and it sits on the silver apple logo for 10 mins before showing the connect to itunes picture.

When I connect it to itunes it says itunes cannot read the phone information, please restore and only presents me with a restore option.

Note I did not do ANYTHING to set all this off. It didn't freeze or anything in a program. It was just in sleep mode and somehow got fucked up.

I'm restoring it now and I wasn't smart enough to back up anything since I got this replacement phone. I haven't even plugged it into itunes since I got it and updated it to 2.1 before it had anything on it.

What happened?

I'm starting to become a dissatisfied customer with my iphone.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished restoring, still super slow. You hit a button and it takes 5-10 seconds to register. I opened up safari and it gave me an error saying it couldn't load because it couldn't allocate memory.

I powered it off, powered it on again and once again it's stuck on the apple logo for 5-10 mins and then it pops the "connect to itunes" screen.

So restoring obviously fixed nothing. OMG why do my iphones keep dying. Is the sim card cursed? They put the old sim from the last phone into this phone. But this phone worked perfect for 2-3 weeks now.....

Bebpo

Banned
Now it's giving me the same error message about not being able to obtain activation info from the sim card that my last phone gave. So obviously it's the sim card that is broken and screwing up these phones.

I know they can give replacement iphones at the genius bar because I already got one, but can they give replacement sim cards? I got my phone at the AT&T store.

Ashhong

Bebpo said:
Now it's giving me the same error message about not being able to obtain activation info from the sim card that my last phone gave. So obviously it's the sim card that is broken and screwing up these phones.

I know they can give replacement iphones at the genius bar because I already got one, but can they give replacement sim cards? I got my phone at the AT&T store.

they can give u replacement sim cards at the ATT store. when you take out the sim card, how is ur phone then? still unresponsive? have you tried using someone elses sim card? any ATT one will do.

Bebpo

Banned
Ashhong said:
they can give u replacement sim cards at the ATT store. when you take out the sim card, how is ur phone then? still unresponsive? have you tried using someone elses sim card? any ATT one will do.

I just took the sim card out and the phone works perfect. Really fast and no resets.

Time to go to the ATT store tomorrow!

*edit: Nevermind! phone just reset on me while browsing and is stuck on the apple logo now. But still, when I took the card out it was totally responsive and fast. So it seems like both are fucked. Guess I will get a replacement phone at the ipod store and sim card at the AT&T store.

Ashhong

Bebpo said:
I just took the sim card out and the phone works perfect. Really fast and no resets.

Time to go to the ATT store tomorrow!

*edit: Nevermind! phone just reset on me while browsing and is stuck on the apple logo now. But still, when I took the card out it was totally responsive and fast. So it seems like both are fucked. Guess I will get a replacement phone at the ipod store and sim card at the AT&T store.

well is it a 3g? apple will most likely give you a whole new sim card i believe with the phone replacement, or im sure u can ask for it. really weird problems...

Cornballer said:

Turn off wifi and BT when not in use. This helps a lot with battery life.

MacGAF will be pleased; I'm considering ditching my iPhone after contract is up and just getting an iPod Touch. I'll be able to do with it what I do with my iPhone, except for the whole shitty AT&T part of the equation.

Or can you take a jailbroken iPhone to another carrier? I just want to be rid of AT&T.

Fewer bars in more places!™

bionic77

The Take Out Bandit said:
Doing this made a big difference in my battery life. I can easily get 5 hours of heavy voice, internet, and email usage.

The biggest drain on battery I have noticed are 3rd party apps. For whatever reason they take a lot more juice than the included programs.

Schlep

For Netflix their website works fine. I've recently started using PhoneFlix. The only drawback i've found is that you can't drag and drop the order, but it does everything else and it's free.

Bebpo

Banned
Went to the itunes store and they sent me first to the AT&T store to get a new sim card and then they changed out my phone at the apple store. So now with a new phone+sim I have nothing linking my new phone to my last 2 that died. Hopefully 3rd time's a charm!

Guy at the Genius bar was at least very helpful and nice and didn't act like I'm an idiot who doesn't know what I'm talking about. So today was a good day.

Pimpwerx said:
So, how long is the warranty on one of these phones? Mine has been freezing on me almost non-stop the last two days. PEACE.

I'm guessing a year, I've had mine nearly a year - will be in November, and Apple store replaced mine after all the bullshit I put up with with no fuss earlier this month.

Ashhong

The Take Out Bandit said:

MacGAF will be pleased; I'm considering ditching my iPhone after contract is up and just getting an iPod Touch. I'll be able to do with it what I do with my iPhone, except for the whole shitty AT&T part of the equation.

Or can you take a jailbroken iPhone to another carrier? I just want to be rid of AT&T.

Fewer bars in more places!™

3G or original? you can easily jailbreak the original iphone to work with another carrier. for the 3G, you can try using a turbosim like solution, although ive heard mixed reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom