• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pubba

I was one of the guys that didn't put a case on his iPhone..

Last night I went to slip it into a pocket and misjudged where the opening was. The phone dropped about 2 feet onto a tiled floor. Now the glass screen has a huge spiderweb style crack in it. The touch functions and display still work fine.

Called in to the shop where I signed up for the plan. It's 'physical damage' apparently and therefore not covered by warranty. They can send it away for repairs but it will take 4 to 5 weeks to get it back, with no replacement phone. Price would be between 3 and 4 hundred dollars. (all prices here are Australian $)

Then I called the apple store and they said I have to pay a flat rate of $379 regardless of the hardware fault, but if I pay an extra $39 they will ship me a replacement phone to use.

$379 for a piece of glass that I can buy for $6 online? Seems a bit crazy. I called the apple feedback line thing and their canned response was 'It may seem like a simple fix, but we have to check all of the components inside to make sure nothing else was damaged'.

So what to do? Part of me is tempted to just buy a Touch and a cheap shitty phone like the one I used to have. I'm going to Thailand soon so I might wait and see if I can get it fixed there..

I'm having withdrawals already :lol

Ashhong

pubba said:

Last night I went to slip it into a pocket and misjudged where the opening was. The phone dropped about 2 feet onto a tiled floor. Now the glass screen has a huge spiderweb style crack in it. The touch functions and display still work fine.

Called in to the shop where I signed up for the plan. It's 'physical damage' apparently and therefore not covered by warranty. They can send it away for repairs but it will take 4 to 5 weeks to get it back, with no replacement phone. Price would be between 3 and 4 hundred dollars. (all prices here are Australian $)

Then I called the apple store and they said I have to pay a flat rate of $379 regardless of the hardware fault, but if I pay an extra $39 they will ship me a replacement phone to use.

$379 for a piece of glass that I can buy for $6 online? Seems a bit crazy. I called the apple feedback line thing and their canned response was 'It may seem like a simple fix, but we have to check all of the components inside to make sure nothing else was damaged'.

So what to do? Part of me is tempted to just buy a Touch and a cheap shitty phone like the one I used to have. I'm going to Thailand soon so I might wait and see if I can get it fixed there..

if its only 6 bucks, and u think its so simple, why dont u just fix it? dont know why youre surprised at Apples cost, most repairs are like that.

pubba

Ashhong said:
if its only 6 bucks, and u think its so simple, why dont u just fix it? dont know why youre surprised at Apples cost, most repairs are like that.

I don't think it's simple to replace the screen, otherwise I would do what you suggest and just fix it myself.

I knew straight away when I saw the cracked screen that I would need to fork out some serious $$ to get it replaced, but $379 just seemed a bit extreme.

This is my first Apple product so I guess this is the standard Apple repair policy. Just charge a blanket price for any repair regardless of how big or small it is?

If I wasn't such a huge fan of this phone, I would just write it off to my clumsiness and go back to using a shitty prepaid handset.

Ashhong

pubba said:
I don't think it's simple to replace the screen, otherwise I would do what you suggest and just fix it myself.

I knew straight away when I saw the cracked screen that I would need to fork out some serious $$ to get it replaced, but $379 just seemed a bit extreme.

This is my first Apple product so I guess this is the standard Apple repair policy. Just charge a blanket price for any repair regardless of how big or small it is?

If I wasn't such a huge fan of this phone, I would just write it off to my clumsiness and go back to using a shitty prepaid handset.

how much is the iphone itself over there? and try looking up the tutorial for fixing it, maybe on ifixit.com or something. things like video game consoles are pretty much the same way too. besides, a broken screen is pretty much as big of an issue you can get with the iphone. what could be worse? maybe fried internal.

bionic77

pubba said:
Apple does overcharge for some things (like iPod batteries), but I don't think the go out of their way to gouge you on repairs. I also don't think it is as simple or as cheap to repair the glass as you believe.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Anyone here successfully change their battery (2G) on their own? I really don't want to have to pay to have it done.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So how do you manage songs and podcasts on iPhone before you sync on iTunes. I've noticed on some occasions I can do a swipe that brings up the delete button, but have no idea what I did to enable that. Also, I'd like to delete podcasts after I listen to then. Otherwise, iTunes' dumb ass is going to load them up as new again on my phone if there is no new podcast in the series.

Phoenix

pubba said:

You're waaaaaaaaaay off on the price. What you need to replace is not just a piece of glass. You also need to replace the digitizer (i.e. the thing that interprets touch) which is right under the glass.

http://www.etechparts.com/category_s/265.htm

That's the raw price to replace (and repair) those components what you're likely getting is another phone. The time it takes to replace the digitizer (and heaven forbid the LCD screen) is non-trivial. But no, its not a $6 component repair. What Apple wants to do is see if the LCD screen has also taken any damage in the fall which takes the raw price from $80 in parts to $180 in parts.

If you don't want to do it with Apple, go here:

http://www.missionrepair.com/Mission_Repair_iPhone_3G_Diagnosis_and_Repair_s/308.htm

Firestorm

Ashhong said:
Thanks. Just did it and WOW. Took less than 5 minutes and absolutely foolproof o_O; I wish the PSP was like this. Gotta go from 3.71M33 or something to 5.01M33-3 >_>

Will I have to use iTunes any differently now or is it just as normal?

pubba said:

Quoted for Liu Kang Baking A Pie.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Firestorm said:
Thanks. Just did it and WOW. Took less than 5 minutes and absolutely foolproof o_O; I wish the PSP was like this. Gotta go from 3.71M33 or something to 5.01M33-3 >_>

Will I have to use iTunes any differently now or is it just as normal?
How was your recovering data? I heard sometimes it doesn't work? I guess I could easily sync up most things, though. I just really hate hacking my stuff. But damn if the notifier I want isn't worth hacking if there is no other reason I would.

Firestorm

RevenantKioku said:
How was your recovering data? I heard sometimes it doesn't work? I guess I could easily sync up most things, though. I just really hate hacking my stuff. But damn if the notifier I want isn't worth hacking if there is no other reason I would.
Recovering what data? Everything's still on my phone. Hell, even the text message I stopped writing halfway is there =)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Alright I think my Wireless is fucked on my iPhone I can't stream ANYTHING like Youtube, Radio, err other sites etc without it crawling along. I can surf the web, download a file but anything that seems to need the constant use of the wireless konks out in a couple seconds.

Any ideas?

Mar

VOOK said:
Alright I think my Wireless is fucked on my iPhone I can't stream ANYTHING like Youtube, Radio, err other sites etc without it crawling along. I can surf the web, download a file but anything that seems to need the constant use of the wireless konks out in a couple seconds.

Any ideas?

I'm the same. It has done this ever since day 1. At the university wireless and even my home wireless networks. Everything works great and fast except streaming content such as video and music. Streaming is so slow it's hardly even worth bothering.

Hooker

I had the weirdest thing happen to my iPhone just now. I was putting on some music while walking to the bus, and all of a sudden the volume deceased to being muted. So I wait for either the email/text message/ringtone sound, but nothing happens.

I take a look at the screen to see what's going on, and the only thing I see is that the volume is at it's lowest. I try to increase it with both the volume button and on the screen but it decreases immediatly. As if the volume button is stuck, but I can still press volume up/down perfectly. I had to powercycle to get rid of it. Really strange bug

Ashhong

RevenantKioku said:

what notifier? if youre talking about intelliscreen, that shit is crap. slows down the phone so much.

DarkJC

Ashhong said:
what notifier? if youre talking about intelliscreen, that shit is crap. slows down the phone so much.

No I believe he's talking about a notifier for the push emails used in Japan. Apparently support for the way push email is sent to the phone or something is different there, resulting in no sound or vibration played when a message is received.

Windmeel

Neo Member
Hooker said:
I had the weirdest thing happen to my iPhone just now. I was putting on some music while walking to the bus, and all of a sudden the volume deceased to being muted. So I wait for either the email/text message/ringtone sound, but nothing happens.

I take a look at the screen to see what's going on, and the only thing I see is that the volume is at it's lowest. I try to increase it with both the volume button and on the screen but it decreases immediatly. As if the volume button is stuck, but I can still press volume up/down perfectly. I had to powercycle to get rid of it. Really strange bug

Yeah, that happened to me once about two months ago

mrkgoo

so I decided to take the plunge and get an iPhone, partially in anticipation for coming to the states. I have a 1st ten iPod touch; but this thing is the real deal! The screen is higher contrast and quite a by warmer, but is far superior in nearly every way. An amazng device made even more amazing.

Blackhead

Redarse
2gy0mqx.jpg

I've had the iPhone for 6 weeks or so. The wallpaper is the same as that background but I'm still using the default ringtones and alerts though (yes, very basic). The phone runs the 2.1 update and has been jailbroken. Applications I have on it are as follows...

Default: App Store, Phone, Text, Mail, Safari, Calculator, Contacts, Calendar, Clock, Camera, Weather, Notes, Maps, Photos, iPod, iTunes, Settings, Safari (+bookmarklets), Stocks (hidden)

App Store: Air Mouse, Air Sharing, AP News, BeejiveIM, Bloom, Bloomberg, CameraBag, Facebook, NYTimes, Pandora Radio, Phone Aid, Remote, Shazam, Sketches, Stanza, WunderRadio

Other: Backgrounder, BossPrefs, Cycoder, Dock (preferences hidden), Flashlight, gpSPhone, Mxtube, NES, Netatalk, OpenSSH, PdaNet, Podcaster (trial), Safari Download Plug-In, Snapture (free version), Stumbler Plus (hidden), Winterboard, Cydia, Installer (hidden), Swaptunes (hidden), NeoGAF webapp (well now just a bookmark in Safari so it's hidden)

Between QuickGold, AppFlow (neither installed at the moment) and the installed Dock, there really isn't any need to switch from screen to screen looking for the particular app to launch. That frees me up to get creative with customization.

To interface with my computer for syncing, and other needs, I use iTunes, DiskAid, iFuntastic (trial but will purchase soon), Air Mouse Server and Stanza Desktop. Considering MobileMe membership but don't think I can afford it.

I'm surprised at how many apps I've ended up acquiring. The hidden apps are used infrequently but it's nice to know they are there. There are still other apps, of course, that I'll look at soon enough:
* An IRC client. Rooms is available but I'll wait until they have support for password protected chat rooms.
* If WSJ releases an app I'll get that, and a most likely required subscription (although the opinion pages make me puke). I'd also like a RSS reader. Any recommendations?
* I can't decide between vlc4iphone and mplayer. Not sure I need them to be honest.
* I'm waiting on other emulators. snes4iphone, gameboy4iphone, genesis4iphone, psx4iphone you name it. And the controller to go with them.
* WriteRoom or TextGuru? Does that even make sense without a plug in keyboard for typing?
* Speaking of peripherals, anybody bought a stylus? Specifically the Pogo Stylus? With one I could use Sketches as my primary notebook and no longer carry a paper one around.
* An external battery and maybe a case?
*sigh* it's starting to add up to an awful lot.

I use the iPhone a lot, much more than I expected. WunderRadio is a great app for example. I listen to stations from 'back home' (that I never listened to when I was there haha). The honeymoon is over though and I'm settling into a regular routine. The only feature I can't over its exclusion is MMS. But then I switched over from a Motofone so I can't really complain. I'm sure there are dozens of tricks and great apps I'm missing (I barely even looked at the games!) but for now I'm done exploring and I'll stick to this thread for the news... :D

goodcow

AT&T is so fucking inept... my last bill was 9/14... where I supposedly was OWED $205... and then after that bill, I still had a credit of $133.83... I also had a $25 credit for fucked up data access and a $25 referral credit. Then I get a letter in the mail saying $180 or so was misapplied to my account and was a payment for a different account... so basically, it should've been a zero balance. Now, it's 10/25 and my 10/13 bill hasn't posted yet, the AT&T rep says I have a $133.83 credit, but I see a balance of zero, and still no statement from October.

He says he sees an October bill in the system, but I can't see it online under my account, and I haven't been mailed any kind of paper bill.

goodcow said:
AT&T is so fucking inept... my last bill was 9/14... where I supposedly was OWED $205... and then after that bill, I still had a credit of $133.83... I also had a $25 credit for fucked up data access and a $25 referral credit. Then I get a letter in the mail saying $180 or so was misapplied to my account and was a payment for a different account... so basically, it should've been a zero balance. Now, it's 10/25 and my 10/13 bill hasn't posted yet, the AT&T rep says I have a $133.83 credit, but I see a balance of zero, and still no statement from October.

He says he sees an October bill in the system, but I can't see it online under my account, and I haven't been mailed any kind of paper bill.

one of the many reasons i jailbroke/unlocked my phone over a year ago. ATT is the worst carrier i've ever had!

goodcow

bdizzle said:
one of the many reasons i jailbroke/unlocked my phone over a year ago. ATT is the worst carrier i've ever had!

So after an HOUR on the phone with them... they connected me to billing.

Billing saw my October statement, due Nov. 8th for $75.01. Verified I couldn't see it under my online account and that a paper bill wasn't mailed out.

This was contrary to what the other rep said, where I had a $133 credit. So had I not been adamant and pushed him for 30 min, I would've been hit with late fees.

So my bill was $75.01... I got a $25 credit, so she said my new balance, which was invisible online, was $50.01 (even though since the credit should lower the tax as well, it should've been less)

So I just paid the $50.01 due Nov. 8th and now my account says:

Last Payment Received $50.01
Credit Balance ($75.01)

When the balance should be zero.

What the fuck is wrong with this company?

I'm supposed to get a call back later once my online account is "fixed."

LCfiner

infiniteloop said:
2.2 has street view and car/public transport/walking directions:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=588502

very nice.

some pics from the Macrumors poster who leaked the info:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ALSO, he posted this tidbit about 2.2 which could explain why Apple rejected podcaster, if it comes out on time.

Just found a new feature in the music store there is a podcast button but when u click it it says store is unavailable

dallow_bg

nods at old men
LCfiner said:
very nice.

some pics from the Macrumors poster who leaked the info:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ALSO, he posted this tidbit about 2.2 which could explain why Apple rejected podcaster, if it comes out on time.
If only you could use the iTunes store via 3G.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
LCfiner said:
D'oh!

good point. I forgot about that.

oh well, I can still stream podcasts from the podcaster web app.
It is too bad. I'd much rather use the nice iPod app over Podcaster.

It will be nice to get podcasts while I'm at home though.
I can load up and head to work the next day, so I make still make good use of this feature.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to block calls from certain incoming numbers on ATT or the iPhone?

I keep getting these shit scam calls about my "factory warranty expiring" on my car even though I am on the DNCL. They are always from residential numbers in VA or KS. it is annoying as shit.

Firestorm

irfan said:
What are the advantages of jailbreaking it? I thought the major one was making the iPhone carrier unlocked ..
Backgrounder for applications running in the background (ie. last.fm + Safari at once) and PDAnet to use your phone wireless modem for your laptop anywhere you have 3G.

Sorry for asking this question, as it's probably been answered a million times already, but what's the best way to conserve battery life on a 3G iPhone? I just got mine yesterday, so I'm completely new at this.

So far, I have the brightness set to under 50%, turn off 3G when I'm not on the internet, and have wi-fi and Bluetooth off. Anything else I should know about? Oh, and how do I set the phone to vibrate and not ring? Is it the the volume indicator under the "sounds" submenu?

Thanks for the help. My last phone was over three years old, so I feel as if I've stepped into the future with this thing.

LCfiner

Jack Scofield said:
Sorry for asking this question, as it's probably been answered a million times already, but what's the best way to conserve battery life on a 3G iPhone? I just got mine yesterday, so I'm completely new at this.

So far, I have the brightness set to under 50%, turn off 3G when I'm not on the internet, and have wi-fi and Bluetooth off. Anything else I should know about? Oh, and how do I set the phone to vibrate and not ring? Is it the the volume indicator under the "sounds" submenu?

Thanks for the help. My last phone was over three years old, so I feel as if I've stepped into the future with this thing.

just hit the silent switch to 'on' and enable vibration from the sound menu.

as for battery life, i found i got the biggest boost when i turned off push email. i just set it to fetch my work email every 30 minutes. if you don't have a push account, you should be ok. everything else you mention is fine. honestly, if you use bluetooth accessories, just leave BT on. I've not seen any noticeable increase when shutting it off.

the fist time you use the UI, it really does feel like the future. then you'll become used to it and take it for granted. :)

Blackhead

Redarse
irfan said:
What are the advantages of jailbreaking it? I thought the major one was making the iPhone carrier unlocked ..
8 reasons.
  1. Winterboard + Customization
  2. Jailbreak to fix Apple’s bugs
  3. Tethering & Voice Over IP (Unlimited Minutes)
  4. Cycorder and Snapture
  5. Launchers
  6. Backgrounder
  7. Cydia
  8. Take Control of Your System

dallow_bg said:
It is too bad. I'd much rather use the nice iPod app over Podcaster.

It will be nice to get podcasts while I'm at home though.
I can load up and head to work the next day, so I make still make good use of this feature.
VOIPover3G (misnomer really, but was made for Fring hence the name) tricks iTunes into thinking that you are on WiFi when you aren't. Haven't gotten it to work yet but it was only released yesterday so lets see if the bugs can be fixed soon.

scola said:
Is there a way to block calls from certain incoming numbers on ATT or the iPhone?

I keep getting these shit scam calls about my "factory warranty expiring" on my car even though I am on the DNCL. They are always from residential numbers in VA or KS. it is annoying as shit.
iBlacklist. The trial version only allows two numbers though so let us know if it is useful.

Mar

LCfiner said:
very nice.

Just found a new feature in the music store there is a podcast button but when u click it it says store is unavailable

Oh fuck I hope so. The current method of getting a podcast on my iphone when I'm not around my work PC is driving me fucking insane.

At the moment I use Air Share to move a podcast to my phone and listen to it in there. But the fact you can't do anything else on the phone at all while using Air Share really annoys me. You also can't pause it, get out of the app, check something, then go back either. It forgets where you were and you have to find it again. Even if you know the exact time you were at when you quit, dragging that little bubble to the right spot is infuriating.

Please god, give me direct access to itunes podcasts on my phone. I will give out free rim jobs to whoever makes it happen.

dLMN8R

So I have a few questions:

1) Do you have recommendations for alternate web site versions or applications? Sure, the web browser works well, but something like what gmail does is what I'm looking for - maybe something for GAF, IMDB, Digg, and some other places?

2) Is there a way to open a link on a web page in a new page/tab? Would make browsing a bit nicer

3) Best free games you'd recommend? I know of some great-looking 99 cent games, but I'll get to those after I get sick of the free ones first :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom