• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzla

This theme alone is almost enough for me to jailbreak:

http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16790113

33admio.png

Firestorm

Yeah, the GAF webapp is amazing. I wish they'd adopt it officially and host it on the GAF servers. I want to be able to post with a text box the size of the iPhone screen (no horizontal scrolling). That way it would crash a lot less.

CheapAssGamer has a skin as an iPhone skin as well in the UserCP. If you visit the site on the phone, it'll be formatted for the phone. If you visit it on your computer, it'll be the full site.

CBC News is also formatted for iPhones.

dLMN8R

I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of the NeoGAF web app - the fonts are unnecessarily big for the screen, and you can't zoom out to see more at a time. Cool idea though for when you're not on 3G or Wi-Fi with a fast enough connection for icons.

I have one question - what's the best, free way to convert videos for my iPhone? I have TV tuners that record into MPEG2 files, and the Creative Video Converter for my Zen works perfectly at easily converting that format and practically anything else (DivX, Xvid, etc.) to the right format. It then automatically transfers over to the Zen.

Anything like that for the iPhone?

Blackhead

Redarse
If the neogaf app included a way to 'go to first new post' it would be perfect. Not being able to read long tags completely is sometimes irritating too.

Blackhead

Redarse
If the neogaf app included a way to 'go to first new post' it would be perfect. Not being able to read long tags completely is sometimes irritating too.

Yeah GAF needs to host it so I can sign in and post. I guess they'd like some ad money too.

Any good MSN app out yet??

palringo is crap.

I am looking for something that works like it would on a standard PC, I need to be able to minimize the MSN and surf the internet at the same time

Has anyone created their own Battery Screen theme? If so, can you only make the image go side-to-side, or would it be possible to have it go up/down/in a circle? (The reason I ask is because I want to make the Core Drill screen from Gurren Lagann, and though I've read it can only go side-to-side, it appears the icon in the IronMan theme doesn't....)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Oh wow, my bank has a web app now :0. I found it on Apple's webapp site (top 10 most popular list at that). I definitely was not expecting it since it's not a huge bank or anything, but apparently their web people are always pushing for new features.

I think having a web app is the new measure of how flexible and how responsive a company is to new technology. We can see which companies take technology seriously, and it's also a huge credit to how easy creating web apps apparently is, so hat's off to Apple on that. I downloaded a web kit and I'll mess around to see if I can't make a web app version of my company's site.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Well, I went and got a 3G. I adore my 2G, but my GF wanted an iPhone so I'm giving her my old 2G that's hacked to high heaven, and starting from scratch w/ this here 3G.

Now, would someone be so kind as to list the order of operations as far as migrating my data from my 2G to my 3G. Also, I need to wipe the old 2G clean, cuz if my GF sees some of these texts that I've received over the last year, our relationship will be strained significantly... :\

The FW on the 3G is 2.0.1.

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
:lol @ at all the outrage about podcaster if true
The screens look legit and everything, it's really just a matter of if it makes into 2.2 or if they hold it for 2.3

Jtwo said:
No. It's still not okay to disallow apps just because they do something that Apple already made. The competition is necessary to keep Apple on their game, just like how Firefox got us out of the IE6 hole.

Blackhead

Redarse
Fuck ClearChannel for forcing WunderRadio to remove stations :(

Their shitty alternative iHeartradio doesn't even carry the station I've been listening. Not to mention the stations are freely available on their websites anyway. ugh

About the screen protectors, which one is more worth the 15 bucks? Anti-glare or the crystal film? Are there any cosmetic differences? Is one more resistant than the other (in terms of fingerprints, scratches, etc.)?

pistolpete2940 said:
About the screen protectors, which one is more worth the 15 bucks? Anti-glare or the crystal film? Are there any cosmetic differences? Is one more resistant than the other (in terms of fingerprints, scratches, etc.)?

The crystal film has been fine for me...fingerprints about as noticeable as the original screen I suppose, but it doesn't obscure anything either.

Enzom21

DaCocoBrova said:
Well, I went and got a 3G. I adore my 2G, but my GF wanted an iPhone so I'm giving her my old 2G that's hacked to high heaven, and starting from scratch w/ this here 3G.

Now, would someone be so kind as to list the order of operations as far as migrating my data from my 2G to my 3G. Also, I need to wipe the old 2G clean, cuz if my GF sees some of these texts that I've received over the last year, our relationship will be strained significantly... :\

The FW on the 3G is 2.0.1.

Thanks in advance.
To completely erase the 2G, go to settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings.
To migrate from 2G to 3G, first sync 2G so everything is backed up, then connect your 3G and just restore to the backup that you just made with the 2G.
Also, you should move to firmware 2.1.

centracore

Quick question I was just thinking of.. If I transfer the SIM card from my iPhone to an older phone to use while snowboarding (because I don't want to risk damaging my iPhone) will that work alright? Will I need to do anything special like 'unbrick' the iPhone via iTunes when I plug it back in?

Flo_Evans

centracore said:
Quick question I was just thinking of.. If I transfer the SIM card from my iPhone to an older phone to use while snowboarding (because I don't want to risk damaging my iPhone) will that work alright? Will I need to do anything special like 'unbrick' the iPhone via iTunes when I plug it back in?

Should work fine, when my first iphone was stolen they just gave me another iphone SIM to stick in my sony/ericson until I got the 3g.

Sorry for all the questions, but I was just wondering. How much memory is actually on the 8GB iphone out the box? Is it 8 gigs straight up or is it like memory cards where the actual memory isn't actually what's stated on the box?

Flo_Evans

pistolpete2940 said:
Sorry for all the questions, but I was just wondering. How much memory is actually on the 8GB iphone out the box? Is it 8 gigs straight up or is it like memory cards where the actual memory isn't actually what's stated on the box?

I don't know exactly but it's not a full 8 gigs.

pistolpete2940 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibytes

Flo_Evans said:
I don't know exactly but it's not a full 8 gigs.
Nothing on the planet is. It's 8 Gibibytes + space taken up by the OS.

Every hard drive sold on the planet either has a footnote saying "1 MB = 1,000 bytes" or just shortens it to GB and doesn't explain to you that they mean a Gibibyte.

artist

Banned
Finally got the CapsuleNeo for my iPhone. Really awesome product and people are mistaking the shell for the iPhone body.

Now suggest me a dock and a cradle for the car, and I'm all set. :)

dLMN8R

dLMN8R said:
I have one question - what's the best, free way to convert videos for my iPhone? I have TV tuners that record into MPEG2 files, and the Creative Video Converter for my Zen works perfectly at easily converting that format and practically anything else (DivX, Xvid, etc.) to the right format. It then automatically transfers over to the Zen.

anyone?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
infiniteloop said:
Visual Hub
Oh, that's a good one too. But didn't they stop development for it?
Also, Do they make that for windows?

border

Okay, I got my iPhone unlocked after I did a full iTunes restore + QuickPwn. Now I have a ton of questions:

What's the best stick-on screen protector for a 2G phone? Will 3G stickers work or is the face shaped that differently?

I went to a couple Starbucks today to test out web-browsing -- it was pretty slow even on a local WiFi connection. Did I just get a couple bad hotspots or is this a normal thing? I'd hate to see what 2G/3G looks like if this how slow things go on WiFi.

On that note, everytime you log-in to a Starbucks/AT&T hotspot, your browser redirects you to a page that demands a login + password for use of their Wifi. Is there any way I can get Safari to remember this login/PW so I don't have to input it every single time?

Firestorm

dLMN8R said:
I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of the NeoGAF web app - the fonts are unnecessarily big for the screen, and you can't zoom out to see more at a time. Cool idea though for when you're not on 3G or Wi-Fi with a fast enough connection for icons.

This is too big?
08-6.jpg
08-1-3.jpg

I find it perfect. No need to zoom in or anything to read messages. I read it horizontally. Most forums feel so cumbersome to navigate after using the webapp. Not to mention the awesome ability of just scrolling to the bottom of the page by pressing the title.

hirokazu

eznark said:
This will prove useful while I'm in Red China.

Jtwo said:
The screens look legit and everything, it's really just a matter of if it makes into 2.2 or if they hold it for 2.3
Even if the feature was in Firmware 2.0, it doesn't make it OK for Apple to block an alternative with similar functionality. How is it any less of an outrage now?

Tobor

hirokazu said:

Even if the feature was in Firmware 2.0, it doesn't make it OK for Apple to block an alternative with similar functionality. How is it any less of an outrage now?

Some of us never gave a shit about it in the first place. I wanted the feature to come from Apple anyway, so it would sync and mark as not new properly with iTunes. Good things come to those who wait, I suppose.

dLMN8R

Firestorm said:
This is too big?
[ IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/fi123storm/08-6.jpg[/IMG] [ IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/fi123storm/08-1-3.jpg[/IMG]
I find it perfect. No need to zoom in or anything to read messages. I read it horizontally. Most forums feel so cumbersome to navigate after using the webapp. Not to mention the awesome ability of just scrolling to the bottom of the page by pressing the title.
Didn't know about that :D

AirBrian

dr3upmushroom said:
Aren't more and more sites doing this now?
Yep. Many sites even have a cute little logo for the iPhone Home Screen too. Off the top of my head...

ESPN
CNN
Fox News
FedEx
American Airlines
Wikipedia

mrkgoo

hirokazu said:

It just occurred to me how much of an outrage there would be if Apple let it on, people bought it, and then Apple bring out their free one. People would complain that Apple knew a free one was coming, yet they let people buy one anyway. Or something.

Firestorm

dLMN8R said:
Didn't know about that :D
Click the Help button. There are a few little tricks in the webapp. Pressing the bar at the top of the screen (the one with the time) takes you to the top of any web page as well.

Blackhead

Redarse
Firestorm said:
This is too big?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/fi123storm/08-6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/fi123storm/08-1-3.jpg
Don't forget that you can tap spoilers to see what has been blackened out. It's the only way to read them on the iphone and just that alone justifies the webapp imo

But then you have to go to the top of the page to refresh and then scroll down again to see new posts. And the gifs don't work properly (only the ones in avatars don't freeze for me). Besides logging, in there are some things you need the regular browser for (unless GAF fixes it up).

DaCocoBrova

enzom21 said:
To completely erase the 2G, go to settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings.
To migrate from 2G to 3G, first sync 2G so everything is backed up, then connect your 3G and just restore to the backup that you just made with the 2G.
Also, you should move to firmware 2.1.

Thanks for responding, as always...

I did just that, only I jailbroke the 3G before doing a restore. Worked without a hitch. Interestingly enough, the 'Erase all content' option neglects to erase the pictures and music, which resulted in an irate GF calling me yelling about a picture I took w/ a certain female she doesn't like. I talked my way out of it but damn. I guess I should've checked everything. :\

Anyway, outside of the form factor (2G looks better to me) and horrible battery life, I like the 3G.

Couple of questions though:

* vWallpaper. I can't find it and I've added most, if not all of the repositories I had on my 2G. Does Winterboard support video backgrounds?

* How do I uninstall apps now? Installer doesn't have the uninstall option anymore. I see how to do it via Cydia, but some of the stuff I want to uninstall isn't listed

* Tris crashes on me. Opens and immediatly crashes. Does it not support 2.0?

* Sucks that my Shure headphone adapter isn't all that compatible with the 3G (barely stays plugged in). What are the best inline mic adapters (allowing me to use my own earbuds) out right now?

Scotch

DaCocoBrova said:
I did just that, only I jailbroke the 3G before doing a restore. Worked without a hitch. Interestingly enough, the 'Erase all content' option neglects to erase the pictures and music, which resulted in an irate GF calling me yelling about a picture I took w/ a certain female she doesn't like. I talked my way out of it but damn. I guess I should've checked everything. :\
Huh? I've done the 'Erase all content' thing twice in the past and both times it erased everything, including music and photos.

edit: wait, you restored your backup after you erased everything? Then it's your own fault.

DaCocoBrova

No. I have 2 iphones. The 2G is the one I erased as I was giving it to my GF. I did the erase all data thing and it erased everything except the movies and pictures. I only used restore to put the data that I backed up onto my new 3G.

TehOh

Free AT&T Wifi access for iPhones - confirmed.

If you haven't yet, you should be getting a text in the next few minutes with info.

[edit]From http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/internet/accessing-wifi.jsp
iPhone users, get started with Wi-Fi

Activate Wi-Fi from the settings icon on your iPhone
Select "attwifi" from the list of available networks
Enter your 10-digit mobile number and check the box to agree to the Acceptable Use Policy. Tap 'continue'
You will receive a text message from AT&T with a secure link to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot. You will not be charged for the text message.
The SMS link will only be valid for 24 hours at the location it was requested. Another request must be submitted when using another hotspot location.
Open the text message and tap on the link for 24-hour access to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot

mrkgoo

So what's the deal with bringing a foreign iPhone into the US? What is the best carrier to get a sim for? I prefer something more akin to pay as you go. Is there such a thing for data?

Can anyone explain to me exactly how one purchases ringtones from Itunes for use on your Iphone?? There's instructions in the iphone manual but they seem to be missing a couple of steps... :lol

Is there any simple way to see from the store front which ones can be bought to convert to a ringtone?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
prettyvacant77 said:
Can anyone explain to me exactly how one purchases ringtones from Itunes for use on your Iphone?? There's instructions in the iphone manual but they seem to be missing a couple of steps... :lol

Is there any simple way to see from the store front which ones can be bought to convert to a ringtone?
This isn't the exact answer to your question but I think it's a good alternative: www.audiko.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom