• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPod Shuffle questions for owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsubaki

I've owned a shuffle for about two months now and there are some peculiarities that I found, and wanted to know if everyone else has experienced them, or if I'm missing something. I have a Dell Dimension desktop:

1) Only certain USB ports work for synching. When plugged into my front USB ports, I nothing happens. When I used a USB Hub/extension, the computer never recognized it. It is only when I plug it into my back USB ports does it synch up with iTunes and let you drag & drop.

I have concluded that maybe this was done so that you are forced to buy their ripoff $30 cradle unit.

2) Secondly, I have found that nothing but the back. Not the front. Not the USB hub. But directly in the back. Nothing but the back USB ports will allow my shuffle to charge its battery. Not only that! But it only charges if it's plugged directly in the back, and while iTunes is running.

This is really strange because when I first got it, before I ever initialized the shuffle, it charged fine in the front and back without having iTunes open. But now it only works a particular way.

I have concluded that maybe this was done so you're forced to buy their ripoff $30 socket charger.

3) Usually when you turn off the shuffle, it saves the place right? The next time you turn it on, you resume exactly where you left off last time. This is normal behavior.

But there have been many instances where the shuffle resumes not from the last time you left off, but from 2 times ago, as if it didn't/couldn't save the last time. It's not a huge deal, but it's a somewhat buggy.

What are your experiences with the shuffle? I really love it for its main feature, ie the random component. But the longer I own it, the more I see that it's not perfect.

Odnetnin

Banned
I don't have this problem. Probably a windows or hardware problem. OMG but I prefer my ipod shuffle to my ipod. :)

3phemeral

Kung Foo Kid said:
Dum questions time, are your front usb ports even hooked up. Have you ever tried anything else in those ports?
This is really strange because when I first got it, before I ever initialized the shuffle, it charged fine in the front and back without having iTunes open. But now it only works a particular way.
:D

Tsubaki

are your front usb ports even hooked up. Have you ever tried anything else in those ports?

Yep, I've used them all the time for USB sticks and digital camera uploading. Just doesn't work with the shuffle.

JeffDowns said:
Are your ports USB 2.0? If not, upgrade. NOW.

Oh actually, yeah, all my ports are USB 1.1. I bought an Adaptec USB 2.0 Upgrade + Hub, but since the hub doesn't seem to work, I'm not even gonna bother to upgrade so I'll sell it off and wait til I get a new computer.

I can deal with the lack of speed. But are you saying my shuffle problems will magically be fixed if I upgrade to 2.0? It's supposedly compatible with both...

3phemeral

Tsubaki said:
Yep, I've used them all the time for USB sticks and digital camera uploading. Just doesn't work with the shuffle.

Oh actually, yeah, all my ports are USB 1.1. I bought an Adaptec USB 2.0 Upgrade + Hub, but since the hub doesn't seem to work, I'm not even gonna bother to upgrade so I'll sell it off and wait til I get a new computer.

I can deal with the lack of speed. But are you saying my shuffle problems will magically be fixed if I upgrade to 2.0? It's supposedly compatible with both...

USB 1 has a weak power bus, so it's not going to do much in the way of helping you charge your shuffle. AFAIA, it doesn't support charging.

Tsubaki

3pheMeraLmiX said:
USB 1 has a weak power bus, so it's not going to do much in the way of helping you charge your shuffle. AFAIA, it doesn't support charging.

But my shuffle does charge normally on 1.1. It's just that it has to be plugged in the back ports, and iTunes has to be open.

The other question I had was synching, as I'm not sure why my PC won't recognize it when plugged in the front, or even when using a USB hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom