• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOGO PAGE 24!

Great stuff! OnkelC, looking back at the early stuff your photos have dramatically improved!

Tonight we made Caldereta which is a Filipino stew.

We used beef, but also using goat or even lamb is common. It's also common to have peas and carrots, but we didn't use any of those either. Every family has their own ingredients, and many people try out slightly different combinations of veggies.

We cheated and didn't make our own sauce, and used a mix instead. The sauce is easy to make, though. It contains paprika, pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and tomato paste or ketchup.

Chop the veggies before you start. We used onion, bell pepper and asparagus.

DSCF1375-1.jpg

The sauce mix:

DSCF1377.jpg

DSCF1380.jpg

Saute the beef and onions in some oil, and then set aside when done.

DSCF1378-1.jpg

Then cook the rest of the onions and other veggies.

DSCF1381-1.jpg

Add in the sauce, cover, and let the vegetables steam for a bit:

DSCF1382.jpg

Mix the beef and onions back in, and serve over rice and spoon some sauce on top. Done!

DSCF1383.jpg

DSCF1384-1.jpg

Tonight's dinner was another Filipino dish, Menudo. This should not be confused with the Mexican/Spanish dish of the same name, which is much different.

It's made with pork, bell peppers, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes (usually regular potatoes), onions, garlic, chickpeas paprika and a bit of grated romano cheese. Sometimes pork liver and raisins are also added. It's usually served with rice, but we used couscous instead.

DSCF1385-1.jpg

DSCF1386-1.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome stews, heavy! thanks for sharing. The combination of asparagus and bell peppers is interesting, doesn't the paprika overpower the asparagus taste?

I was holding a lecture in Berlin for the last few days, here's the two typical street foods, Bratwurst and Döner:
smallP1020554.jpg

There's lots of these vendor tray people/walking sausage salesmen on the streets:
smallP1020556.jpg

Here's Döner:
smallP1020574.jpg

smallP1020572.jpg

Here's the usual fast food :(
smallP1020562.jpg

Enjoy.

OnkelC said:
Awesome stews, heavy! thanks for sharing. The combination of asparagus and bell peppers is interesting, doesn't the paprika overpower the asparagus taste?

Wow, that Döner looks crazy!! :) And the bratwurst looks pretty spectacular, too! I love trying out different regional street foods!

I didn't find that the paprika was too strong for the asparagus. There wasn't a lot of it in there, and the vegetables were still a bit crunchy and retained a lot of their flavor.

Tonight was Shrimp Linguine with garlic and fresh basil, mushrooms, peas, bell peppers and diced tomatoes. Quick and easy, but very tasty!

DSCF1391-1.jpg

DSCF1392-1.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid said:
Wow, that Döner looks crazy!! :) And the bratwurst looks pretty spectacular, too! I love trying out different regional street foods!

I didn't find that the paprika was too strong for the asparagus. There wasn't a lot of it in there, and the vegetables were still a bit crunchy and retained a lot of their flavor.

Tonight was Shrimp Linguine with garlic and fresh basil, mushrooms, peas, bell peppers and diced tomatoes. Quick and easy, but very tasty!
Tasty indeed! thanks for sharing. I got the idea for taking pics of street foods from your posts of take-away stuff to be honest ;) Still got fond memories of the Gordita Al Pastor, which seems to be quite similar to the Gyros/Döner dish that's popular over here.

As A side note, there were several "Gammelfleisch" (aka rotten meat) scandals over here over the last two years, and a good part of the meats in question were sold to döner production companies, so the Döner has taken a bit of a plunge in popularity recently.

When I was in Berlin this week, it was the first time ever that I saw a Döner place that was shut down due to lack of business.

smirkrevenge said:
eggplant parmesan with homemade tomato sauce. very tasty!

1737328956_9c72bb165b.jpg

YUM! had that dish as a starter at the usual friday restaurant visit recently, best food ever for cold autumn days :)

I'm kinda out cold at the moment/caught a flu, so no cooking from me for the next few days. Fill the gap, please, folks!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Weekend schedule:
Today will be a stew from champignons and shiitake, served with dumplings, tomorrow will be carrot pesto. And lots of these:
smallCIMG4293.jpg

:(

Sorry about your cold, OnkelC! :( Hope you feel better soon!

I'm honored you got the idea of taking pictures of street foods from me! Thanks! :)

Last night was a chicken stew tex-mex style. I took a few pics of it, but I wasn't thrilled with how it turned out. It did taste better than it looked.

DSCF1394.jpg

Again, it doesn't look too good, but it was actually pretty tasty. I added extra hot sauce, of course.

Two weekends ago we went to the apple orchard. I can't believe it's already been a year! Maybe I'll update my post later with a link to last year's apple picking and the mile-high apple pie recipe.

The main building at the apple orchard. They serve hot donuts and cider inside, along with some other things like pumpkin pies.

Picture005.jpg

Everyone rides on wagons pulled by tractors, and there are stops along the way for the different types of apples. People can get off, pick certain kinds, and then go back and catch another tractor to go to another type of apple.

Picture009.jpg

DSC09019.jpg

DSC09021.jpg

Weekend bonus baby pics!

Who needs good cooking when you can eat your feet! :)

october040.jpg

Ready to go outside in the cold weather!

DSCF1401.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Wonderful pics, thanks for sharing! I remember last years apple orchard pics. Looking forward to seeing more of your efforts and cuddle the kid from me, just adorable :D

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Some stuff, no receipies yet, but I think I'll document tonights creation.

Home-made burgers with Italian bread:
2003215519828678428_rs.jpg

Meal salad I made for my Dad:
2003289067983136500_rs.jpg

Best burgers in my town, from a place called 'Pappa Joe'. The green stuff is Guacemole, not puke ;).
2003234362611342806_rs.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Looking good, Rei_Toei! Pappa Joes' is a chain, right? Think I heard that name before...

No cooking from me today, I spent most of the day sneezing and sleeping. Fill in for me, please.

Mmmm, those burgers look good! Even better looking are those homestyle fries!

Late lunch today at a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant. We had Pad Thai Curry and Beef Phở (or Phở Bò).

DSCF1403.jpg

DSCF1405-1.jpg

DSCF1406-1.jpg

OnkelC said:
That soup gives me a Tampopo moment! Thanks for sharing and good to have you back!

:lol

It is kind of similar to ramen, but the main difference is that Phở uses rice noodles instead of egg noodles. Phở also usually seems more "fresh" tasting to me, as they usually give you a plate of fresh basil, lime, bean sprouts and sometimes other herbs to garnish the soup to your taste. But I love them both.

It's nice to post some new stuff. It's a bit easier now that my kid is a bit older (six months!) and we're able to get back to cooking and going out to eat a bit more.

Today we went to our local Mexican restaurant for lunch.

Guacamole with chips and salsa:

DSCF1424-1.jpg

This is a pretty typical Mexican breakfast of scrambled eggs mixed with chorizo and potatoes. It's served with rice and beans with tortillas.

DSCF1428.jpg

Taco al pastor (marinated pork) with onions, cilantro and hot sauce.

DSCF1430.jpg

Steak torta, or basically a sandwich, with lettuce, tomato, avacado, jalapenos and mayo. Tortas are made with bolillo, which is a crusty white bread with very soft insides. These sandwiches are very big, usually an oblong 6-8 inches.

DSCF1429-1.jpg

DSCF1431.jpg

Yours truly, making a funny face while chowing down. :) If you look closely, you can see my nephew's hand desperately trying to put his crayons into my salsa.

DSCF1415.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid said:
Yours truly, making a funny face while chowing down. :) If you look closely, you can see my nephew's hand desperately trying to put his crayons into my salsa.
:lol GREAT shot! The kid looks like another gourmet in the making btw. How many people were catered with those dishes? My guess would be around 6 persons.

The wife made me some carrot and thyme pesto tonight (archived pic, recipe a few pages back):
smallP1010715.jpg

Keep sharing, folks!

woeds

My brother invited me over for dinner last night, and he quickly whipped up a nice meal. So no pictures, but I'll try to see if I can recall the recipe from what I saw

-Ravioli (cheese filling)
-Serrano ham (slices)
-Mushrooms
-Paprika
-onion
-Tomato tapenade
-Mozzarella

Bake the slices of ham in a pan until they get a bit crispy, take it off the heat and put it aside. Put the chopped mushrooms, paprika and union on the pan for a few minutes. Put the serrano ham back in and add the tomato tapenade. Mix it all together. Cook the ravioli.

Take an oven dish and put the ravioli and sauce mixture in there. Put some slices of mozzarella on top. It's ready when the mozzarella has melted

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yesterday I had dinner with some friends at some restaurant a friend recommended and had an awesome dish, Red snapper and Seawolf wrapped in Parmaham, sprinkled with sundried tomatoes and served with a Dill sauce. I think the combination Fish/Dill sauce is a 'classic' but the wrapped parmaham was what made it really good. Since the parmaham was really crispy/dry but the fish perfectly done I wonder how they prepared it, maybe everything in the oven? So I'd thought asking the GAF cooking collective :).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rei_Toei said:
Yesterday I had dinner with some friends at some restaurant a friend recommended and had an awesome dish, Red snapper and Seawolf wrapped in Parmaham, sprinkled with sundried tomatoes and served with a Dill sauce. I think the combination Fish/Dill sauce is a 'classic' but the wrapped parmaham was what made it really good. Since the parmaham was really crispy/dry but the fish perfectly done I wonder how they prepared it, maybe everything in the oven? So I'd thought asking the GAF cooking collective :).
hi, that seems to be a pan-made dish, at least that's how I'd prepare it. Fish (in fillet-sized chunks) only takes a few moments to be done in a pan. By wrapping it in ham (or bacon/Pancetta, for that matter) and frying it in a pan with a hint of oil will result in said crunchyness of ze ham whilst retaining the juiciness of the fish.

It was most likely prepared the way OnkelC has described, or possibly even oven baked, as in this recipe.

This weekend we went to a pot-luck Halloween party. I managed to get pictures of many of the dishes.

Making the salad dressing:

DSCF1433-1.jpg

DSCF1434-1.jpg

Salad with sun-dried cherries, avocado and artichoke hearts.

DSCF1435-1.jpg

Spiral cut honey-baked ham with brown sugar:

DSCF1503.jpg

DSCF1479.jpg

Homemade chips and salsa (well, the salsa was homemade, not the chips):

DSCF1478-1.jpg

Quinoa with roasted root vegetables (carrots, beets, onions and turnips):

DSCF1465-1.jpg

Little squares of pita with garbanzo beans, onion and chutney:

DSCF1459.jpg

Asian-style chicken with green onions (cold shredded chicken flavored with what tasted like chili oil and a sesame sauce):

DSCF1462-1.jpg

Chicken pot pie:

DSCF1480-1.jpg

Sicilian-style spaghetti:

DSCF1460-1.jpg

Spicy chicken wings:

DSCF1502.jpg

Deserts

DSCF1506.jpg

Pasty with dulce de leche:

DSCF1508.jpg

Chocolate chip banana bread with drizzled chocolate:

DSCF1490.jpg

Brownies:

DSCF1455.jpg

DSCF1491.jpg

Phew, that's a lot of food! And there were still more dishes that I wasn't able to get pictures of, if you can believe it!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Thanks Onkel, Liquid! I think I'm gonna try to wrap some ham around fish soon. When I do (and it doesn't burn down the house :D) I'll show the results here.

Just some chicken stir fry to keep it simple

25102007294.jpg

Then this was sugar sweet chicken and cous cous. The stew on the chicken and broccoli was made from orange juice, cranberry juice, lemons and honey. The cous cous was a little boring, and I didn't have time to make it properly as I was too hungry, but it should have been summer themed with lemon and orange slices

15102007264.jpg

Tuna & Chicken Thai curry

11102007250.jpg

My background= semi pro chef, worked in an Italian kitchen a few years back. But most stuff I forgot, and blended a lot of Italian cooking with Black British cooking. So look out for more mix-ups from me.

But the best piece of advice is..SEASON YOUR CHICKEN! It is the most bland poultry/meat in cooking. Even a simple olive oil, gara, black pepper and fresh herbs can make it taste a lot more better.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hi and welcome! Always good to have new contributors around. The Tuna/chicken combo is interesting. Looking forward to seeing more of your skills in the future!

OnkelC said:
Hi and welcome! Always good to have new contributors around. The Tuna/chicken combo is interesting. Looking forward to seeing more of your skills in the future!

Nice to be here! A lot of nice dishes here. Got a lot of new ideas here on more rustic "large" American cooking :D

Anyways for today:

"Goop" & Pasta. I have no idea what I made, but it was :)! Anyways..

For the sauce

-Onion
-Shitaki Mushrooms
-Runner Beans
-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
-Single Cream
-Mature English Cheddar Cheese

Fry off the onions and mushrooms till they are translucent. Add the runner beans and pre roasted sweet potatoes. When the mix is all mushy, add in the cream and the cheese

Then simply add the pasta! I had some extra seasoning and stuff, but not bothered to note it all

29102007299.jpg

29102007300.jpg

Jacobi

Banned
I just bought some turkey meat. Does anyone have cool suggestions what to do with it? The plan was to put it in a oiled pan, maybe salt it...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
hi, as Mecha_Infantry put it:
Mecha_Infantry said:
But the best piece of advice is..SEASON YOUR CHICKEN! It is the most bland poultry/meat in cooking. Even a simple olive oil, gara, black pepper and fresh herbs can make it taste a lot more better.
That also goes for the equally bland turkey meat. try a marinade from oil, salt, pepper, paprika powder and garlic and leave the meat in it for one or two hours.

OnkelC said:
hi, as Mecha_Infantry put it:

That also goes for the equally bland turkey meat. try a marinade from oil, salt, pepper, paprika powder and garlic and leave the meat in it for one or two hours.

Indeed, I forgot about dry arse turkey!

But here's for today. This will be my last dish for the next two days as I am at work and come back too late to cook :(

I shall name her, Paellasotto (Paella & Rissotto)

Indgrediants

-King Prawns
-Chicken breast
-Onions, mushrooms, sweet peppers, green peas and some other stuff I've forgotten

Chicken seasoning
30102007304.jpg

Prawns seasoning
30102007303.jpg

Prep work (my quickest time of 4 odd minutes!)
30102007305.jpg

Sweating off the veggies
30102007307.jpg

I kinda skipped the rest, but here's the end product!
30102007314.jpg

Ummmm tastyyyyyyy

Mmm, looks good, Mecha. Basically chicken and shrimp fried rice, minus the egg.

Nothing from me tonight as I didn't have time to shop and cook, so we ordered carry-out pizza.

DSCF1515.jpg

DSCF1516.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I haven't eaten anything for two days now, and not even that pizza shot can get me hungry :(

Looks awesome, though. Same goes for the paellasotto (great name btw:lol )

bovo

Haven't cooked anything noteworthy recently, but here's a home made soup from a few days ago - with some shop bought bread sticks.

Can't remember what was exactly in the soup(!) but it was probably potatoes, leeks, carrots and anything else available at the time.

Bread sticks weren't all for one person by the way...

bovo

OnkelC said:
Tasty, bovo! Did you blend the soup?

Yes - the trusty "boil lots of vegetables in a pan, and stick a handblender in it when they're cooked" method of soup making.

Soup is definately back on the menu now the weather here has turned more autumnal!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
wonderful dishes and equally great pics, smirkrevenge, thank you for sharing! How did you fry the steak? Looks perfectly done.

Nice stuff smirkrevenge, and the fondue also looks good. I hope you're finally feeling better!

Not much from me again, unfortunately. Had to do carry-out again. Greek salad with grilled chicken and chili cheese fries to go. The picture doesn't do the fries justice; they're much better than they look! ;)

DSCF1517.jpg

DSCF1518.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Mang, that take-away salad looks better than many salads I had in "proper" restaurants.

Funny side note, the "gravy on fries" thing has never kicked off in german (leisure) cuisine; ketchup and mayo are the only socially accepted toppings for fries.

OnkelC said:
Mang, that take-away salad looks better than many salads I had in "proper" restaurants.

I'm lucky enough to have a few places around me that have excellent salad, thanks! I have to drive a bit further to the place that serves the Romaine lettuce, though. ;)

OnkelC said:
Funny side note, the "gravy on fries" thing has never kicked off in german (leisure) cuisine; ketchup and mayo are the only socially accepted toppings for fries.

Oh, no. This was no mere fries with gravy... :) If it was gravy you could add curds, and have another delicious variation of fries that needs to be eaten with a fork, ala Canada's famous (and delicious) poutine!

This was chili and cheese. Sometimes the chili has beans, and sometimes not. I prefer not. Sometimes the cheese is placed on top of the fries (usually a processed Cheddar cheese "American cheese" in the US) and then the chili poured on top and melts everything together. And then sometimes heated Velveeta cheese is used and poured on top of the fries and chili, too. I think this was the former, but I sense another story that I can work on in lieu of my absence of actually cooking!

potato-crusted sea bass on a bed of leeks. first time making it, so not quite as good as i planned. it was a complex recipe, and the time-return ratio was on the low side.

1849911812_ae2f287be0.jpg

bud

i ate this great meal once and it consisted of potatoes, spinach on top of that, and some melted cheese on top. there was also an egg somewhere in there. is there a name for this dish? i ate it with some veal on the side. it was amazing.

great thread, btw. all of these pics make me hungry.

Amir0x

Banned
man this shit looks delicious. I guess to be a good cook, you need a kitchen of good tools though. My kitchen is basically as bare as can be, almost no good utensils at all

what cooking shit don't OnkelC and heavyliquid have :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smirkrevenge, thanks for sharing. it looks spectacular, shame to hear it wasn't worth it:(

Amir0x said:
man this shit looks delicious. I guess to be a good cook, you need a kitchen of good tools though. My kitchen is basically as bare as can be, almost no good utensils at all

what cooking shit don't OnkelC and heavyliquid have :lol
Heh, thanks for the kind words. I don't have that much stuff though. A hand-down stove, a set of knives, large pot, small pot, skillet, a few cutting boards, set of cooking spoons, colander, that's basically it. A hand mixer also helps.

bud said:
i ate this great meal once and it consisted of potatoes, spinach on top of that, and some melted cheese on top. there was also an egg somewhere in there. is there a name for this dish? i ate it with some veal on the side. it was amazing.

great thread, btw. all of these pics make me hungry.
Sounds like a potato gratin with spinach. And thanks to you too.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I'm off to Frankfurt in a few minutes again, lecture that couldn't be cancelled on monday. I look like the blossoming life atm:
smallP1020594.jpg

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom