• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next page!

Dinner tonight was a quick stir-fry.

Prep work:

DSCF1592.jpg

DSCF1593.jpg

Finished:

DSCF1601.jpg

DSCF1602.jpg

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I never really had much point in participating in this, considering my skill in "cooking" is limited to remembering how long I let my ramen noodles boil, but I just wanted to say this is a fun thread to flip through on a lazy Saturday morning. Such an assortment of wonderful, colorful, delicious-looking stuff shot with a good eye for photography. It really makes me wish I used that oven for something other than burning pizzas and chicken wings. :D

Great stuff, Onkel, from you and many other posters.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Can anyone give me a basic recipe for skinless boneless chicken?

I basically want to have the same sort of chicken you get when you order a chicken cesar salad from an average restaurant. (i'm using it for spaghetti though.)

sykoex said:
Can anyone give me a basic recipe for skinless boneless chicken?

I basically want to have the same sort of chicken you get when you order a chicken cesar salad from an average restaurant. (i'm using it for spaghetti though.)

Get 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 oz each) and trim them of all fat and pat dry. Season them generously with salt and pepper.

Heat some vegetable oil in a skillet, and then add the chicken and cook until browned on the first side (probably about 5 minutes). Flip the chicken over, add 1/2 cup water, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and continue to cook until the thickest part of the breast is no longer pink (probably about another 5 minutes).

Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside to cool. Slice the chicken breasts crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

My other suggestion is to grill the chicken if you can. Season it (again with salt and pepper) and throw it on there if you have a grill. You might also want to try some different seasons, maybe a bit of cayenne if you like spicy foods, also maybe some thyme or dill. Experiment!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Baaaahaaaaack!:lol

Thanks to the all of you for the great contributions. I returned yesterday from an uninteresting (food-wise) lecture, but went to our resident greek place for compensation:

Saganaki (baked Feta cheese in beer batter):
smallP1020686.jpg

"Zeus" platter (beef kebabs, pork steaks, bifteki and gyros with panfried potatoes and some tsaziki):

smallP1020691.jpg

smallP1020689.jpg

smallP1020692.jpg

Side note:
The chef of the greek place was the first one to ask me about why I took pictures of his food and really liked the idea. He adopted it and now presents his dish of the day with pics:
smallP1020685.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Modest sunday breakfast, dutch "Ontbijtkoek" (breakfast cake, similar to gingerbread) and quark, accompanied by a cup of orange blossom tea and a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice:
smallP1020697.jpg

smallP1020699.jpg

smallP1020698.jpg

Tonights dinner will be panfried breaded redfish with 'taters and a mustard sauce with salad. Stay tuned and share yours.

OnkelC said:
Saganaki (baked Feta cheese in beer batter):
smallP1020686.jpg

That's interesting about the Saganaki... I'm used to a slightly different version. After looking it up, it seems to be a Canadian and US variation:

Wikipedia said:
In some United States and Canadian restaurants, after being fried, it is flambéed at the table (typically with a shout of “***!” in themed restaurants), and the flames then extinguished with the juice of a fresh-squeezed lemon; this is sometimes served with pita bread.

Here's a video of it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bK1fOY9uueg

I've never had the baked version before, but I do love the flambéed one. It's warm, crispy and just a little bit runny. And the juice from the lemon compliments it perfectly. Yum!

edit: silly censors!

Jacobi

Banned
OnkelC said:
Side note:
The chef of the greek place was the first one to ask me about why I took pictures of his food and really liked the idea. He adopted it and now presents his dish of the day with pics[/IMG]
Hey, that's nice. Every restaurant should do that especially for tourists who don't know what to order

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
yup, the flambée is the original prep method. Only a few restaurants over here do it, though, mostly because greek restaurants are not considered gourmet temples in Germany. You visit a greek restaurant to get an honest serving of spicy meats from the grill, not exactly to explore the subtleties of the (very good) greek cuisine. A bit of a shame, but most greek places (including my fave spot) here are still family businesses and don't even try to be ambitious in their menu, unlike several italian restaurants.

Our chef tries to break this chain by putting up new dishes in loose rotation, but almost everybody ordered the "standard fare" yesterday.

OnkelC said:
Modest sunday breakfast, dutch "Ontbijtkoek" (breakfast cake, similar to gingerbread) and quark, accompanied by a cup of orange blossom tea and a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice:
smallP1020697.jpg

smallP1020699.jpg

smallP1020698.jpg

Tonights dinner will be panfried breaded redfish with 'taters and a mustard sauce with salad. Stay tuned and share yours.

HA!

I bought a breafast cake yesterday and ate it almost alone. You reminded me to eat the rest. :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dinner, breaded redfish fillets with potatoes and a homemade mustard sauce, accompanied by an insalatina salad with a creamand lemon sauce:
smallP1020700.jpg

smallP1020703.jpg

smallP1020707.jpg

Enjoy.

OnkelC said:
Not very subtle but filling: Panfries and sunny side ups! :lol

Mmm, looks great actually! Almost like a corned beef hash, but minus the corned beef. ;) It would probably work great for a hearty breakfast.

Tonight's dinner was wild salmon and vegetables (zucchini and onions).

salmon.jpg

OnkelC said:
very nice! Is that couscous as a side?

Oops, forgot to point that out.. It sure was! I've been eating a lot of couscous lately, and using it in place of rice (like in the stir fry at the top of the page).

DarkJediKnight said:
I have to make a point never to enter this thread when I haven't eaten in a while. A little bit of drool fell on my keyboard looking at the stir fry.

:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid said:
Oops, forgot to point that out.. It sure was! I've been eating a lot of couscous lately, and using it in place of rice (like in the stir fry at the top of the page).
Thanks for clarification. Interesting / uncommon side dish for salmon.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Amir0x said:
OnkelC I'm hiring you as my personal cook for a day.
:lol thanks!

Zyzyxxz said:
wait its not fried? I didn't know baked battered turns out like that then

Oops, translation mishap from my part, sorry. it was battered and then pan-fried with oil. German term for this kind of preparation is "Ausbacken" which would translate into "baked out".

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Inspired by yesterdays convenience pasta fest, We'll make the figurehead of german convenience pasta dishes, the so-called "Miracoli" by Kraft Foods, tonight.

Every university student in germany knows this, it saved countless souls from starvation and many a cooking careers started with this dish and variations of it:
miracoli_herstellung_72dpi_04.jpg

As it seems, the "Miracoli" brand is only known in german speaking countries, so I'd like to see the "lifesavers" of other countries as well. Feel free to share yours!

jarosh

almost forgot about this neat little thread. great work onkel (and everyone else involved).

maybe i should post in here a little more - i cook at least once a day so i might as well start taking pictures again...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
jarosh said:
almost forgot about this neat little thread. great work onkel (and everyone else involved).

maybe i should post in here a little more - i cook at least once a day so i might as well start taking pictures again...
Hi and welcome back!

I'd love to see some more dishes from you, I even bought a pack of gluten-free pasta after your last post. But I lacked the bravery/occasion to try it out yet.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
As it seems, the "Miracoli" brand is only known in german speaking countries, so I'd like to see the "lifesavers" of other countries as well. Feel free to share yours!

In both China and America I have no idea what would be considered a life saving food since when times were tough people ate whatever they could get their hands on.

In Chinese culture though rice is the staple food as most of you know but when we greet others we usually ask if the other person had eaten yet as a sign of politeness to show your care.

The literal translation we say is, "Have you eaten rice?"

Being that my family comes from a farmer background it was tough sometimes to get enough to eat from what I heard for many families but as long as they had rice they could survive.

So rice, heres to you!
rice.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
In both China and America I have no idea what would be considered a life saving food since when times were tough people ate whatever they could get their hands on.

In Chinese culture though rice is the staple food as most of you know but when we greet others we usually ask if the other person had eaten yet as a sign of politeness to show your care.

The literal translation we say is, "Have you eaten rice?"

Being that my family comes from a farmer background it was tough sometimes to get enough to eat from what I heard for many families but as long as they had rice they could survive.

So rice, heres to you!
rice.jpg
Thanks for the writeup on rice, which is a staple food for lots of folks.

But I meant "Life savers" as in "stuff that brought you through college etc. cheap and without much hassle", not nutritional produce for survival of an entire population, of course. That would have been potatoes and various grains for central Europe.
Stuff like canned Ravioli, Mac'n'cheese and the likes is where it's at.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Crayon Shinchan said:
Hey Onkel. Just out of curiosity; what kinda camera do you use to take all your pictures?
I started with a Casio Exilim EX-Z 1000 last August and used it until this March or April before it broke. Since then, I am using a Panasonic Lumix TZ3. Because the flash on this one is overpowering most of the macro shots, I also added a tabletop tripod and a cheap halogen desk lamp to the setup with the camera switch.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Thanks for the writeup on rice, which is a staple food for lots of folks.

But I meant "Life savers" as in "stuff that brought you through college etc. cheap and without much hassle", not nutritional produce for survival of an entire population, of course. That would have been potatoes and various grains for central Europe.
Stuff like canned Ravioli, Mac'n'cheese and the likes is where it's at.

oh lol, if thats the case here is what I thrived on when Im too lazy to cook or didn't wanna spend too much cash.

ramen.jpg

Very versatile, just fry some eggs or throw in some leftover meat and heat it up with teh noodles and your good to go. It's about $0.10 per package in the U.S.

Normally I cook for myself if I don't feel lazy and I've never been too short on cash.

My peers seem to thrive on cheap Carls Jr. Spicy chicken sandwiches and pizza though

clav

Zyzyxxz said:
oh lol, if thats the case here is what I thrived on when Im too lazy to cook or didn't wanna spend too much cash.

ramen.jpg

Very versatile, just fry some eggs or throw in some leftover meat and heat it up with teh noodles and your good to go. It's about $0.10 per package in the U.S.

Normally I cook for myself if I don't feel lazy and I've never been too short on cash.

My peers seem to thrive on cheap Carls Jr. Spicy chicken sandwiches and pizza though
You're kidding...right?

Go with Korean or Japanese ramen. So much better...

Zyzyxxz

HaloFans said:
You're kidding...right?

Go with Korean or Japanese ramen. So much better...

any brand suggestions? I've tried all sorts of ramen but I usually buy that particuloar brand since I've been eating it since I was a toddler.

Sometimes I get the kimchi flavored noodles, since I do like kimchi, but I forget if they were Chinese or Korean brand.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's go back about 14 years and revisit "ze Onkel" while he was still a law student and had around 5 dollars / 7,50 DM per day to live off. Small dorm, two-stove kitchenette, most of you know the drill. Miracoli was a good means to get the guts filled. The small cardboard package contains the following:
smallP1020722.jpg

noodles (I don't dare to call it "pasta"),
smallP1020725.jpg

double concentrated tomato paste,

smallP1020727.jpg

the "unique" spice mix, containing wood chips (tastes like it anyway), some stock powder, oregano and dried onions.
smallP1020728.jpg

"Parmesello" "cheese" (smells like vomit, also tastes like wood chips), no resemblance to Parmesan at all apart from the artificial name.

smallP1020755.jpg

LOL, more like 1,5 servings.

The dish, prepared just out of the box, is too bland even for students' tastes, so you will need to sex it up a bit. I used to chop some cheap cheese and mix it all together, but additional ham, bacon, peas, pepperoni are game, too.
As the wife also had more than one share of Miracoli over her university time, she liked to pimp the dish with creme fraiche.

To go the authentic route, we went with the cheapest ingredients, too:
smallP1020732.jpg

Prep is dead simple, a few pics on the back of the pack will do:
smallP1020736.jpg

Basically "cook pasta, slap everything else with some water and butter into the second pot and stir":
smallP1020737.jpg

WILL DO, PACK!
smallP1020753.jpg

smallP1020749.jpg

Here's my genuine food plate from the university days, also called "the feeder":
smallP1020759.jpg

Pimp my dish, pt.1 (the sauce will blubber and squirt, so the stove will look really messy):
smallP1020761.jpg

Cheesy:
smallP1020763.jpg

smallP1020764.jpg

DONE!
Creme Fraiche variant:
smallP1020766.jpg

Cheesy goodness:
smallP1020767.jpg

Consume without dignity:
smallP1020769.jpg

smallP1020770.jpg

Enjoy!

woeds

I had boerenkool stamppot today (Grünkohl/Kale with mashed patatoes and gravy) with a smoked sausage.
boerenkoolmetworst.jpg

Typical Dutch winter dish

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Wout said:
I had boerenkool stamppot today (Grünkohl/Kale with mashed patatoes and gravy) with a smoked sausage.
Typical Dutch winter dish
Grünkohl! Nice! Best when the kale has gotten some frost.
smallCIMG4899.jpg

smallCIMG3126.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Since we haven't had enough pasta this week so far, I'll make Paglia e Fieno alla Leccabaffi tonight. Stay tuned and share your stuff, folks!

Zyzyxxz

man I was yearning for thanksgiving food and spending time with family all day but Im living abroad in Hong Kong so theres no turkey, mashed potatoes, or gravy in sight anywhere unless you wanna pay for a high class meal.

Oh well I stuffed myself at a hot-pot all you can eat place. For about $70 HKD, a little less than $9 USD I got all the meat, seafood, veges, and drinks I could consume. Beer wasn't free but it was included in my $70 HKD.

Shoulda taken pictures, if you guys saw how much meat went into the pot you would have needed anti-cholesterol eye droplets.

joshschw

Well, I am finally posting something, I really want to get into this thread but seeing as how I always forget to actually take photographs I didn't want to just lurk. These are Sweet Potato rolls I made for the big family thanksgiving dinner. Bread making is my favorite cooking/baking thing to do :) recipe follows the picture (hope it's okay to do it like that, th picture that is.) edit: haha, I see some typos in the big picture, oh well, it was too small to see whilse I was preparing it.

2055821698_5ab7f4014b_o.jpg

2055820532_b01e832d71.jpg

larger: http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2055820532&size=o

----

2 1/2 teapsoons yeast
4 cups Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup water (use the excess from the boiled potatoes)
8 oz. mashed boiled sweet potatoes. (i measured this out after the boiling and mashing)
1 tablespoon margarine/butter
little bit of:
-cinnamon
-vanilla

---

1. mix your yeast with the lukewarm water and sugar
2. pour that into your flour/salt/spices
3. now add your mashed potatoes
4. knead it about 10 minutes
5. let it rise about an hour in a greased bowl and warm place
6. drop it out onto the counter and, gently, knead it a bit more and shape it into your loaf at 7. this point, rub some flour on it and let it rise another 30-35 minutes
8. now make some cuts into the dough.
9. bake about 18 minutes at 400 degrees
10. let cool.

notes:
for added color and probably a little sweetness, grate a carrot into your potatoes before boiling.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
joshschw, what a debut! Thanks for sharing. The pic/text combo gets extra props from me!:lol Please share more of your stuff in the future, OK?

Indigo, Schwarzwaldromantik at its best. Thanks to you too. What got you to dine out on a thursday?

Zyzyxxyzz, pics would have been awesome. Hong Kong cuisine must be great from what I saw of it so far. Do you know the movie "Gai Tung Aap Gong"? Same league as Tampopo, but even harder to come by.

Here's Paglia e Fieno, one of the first dishes I posted at NeoGAF. Preparation can be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4062671&postcount=125
Unfortunately, the supermarket de-listed the original pasta, so I went with plain Tagliatelle.

smallP1020780.jpg

smallP1020778.jpg

Enjoy and keep sharing those Thanksgiving dishes, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom